Non Grills passengers.

foster269

I don't think I have read of anyone saying passengers shouldn't mention they are in Britannia cabins, or Britannia Club. Why should it be any different for another type of cabin? We have been lucky enough to travel all Cunard grades with the exceotion of PG - the one time we decided to try it, we were uograded! We are trying again in November.

We are those that DO use our cabin quite a lot, my husband in particular has a severe back problem and needs to lie down often, so we enjoy the extra space and the fact he can make dinner as long or short an occasion as his back allows him on any given evening. But since deciding this is the way we will travel - the same as upgrading our flights - we travel slightly less often.

I don't care who sleeps in which cabin and eats at which restaurant, nor do I know unless they are sleeping or dining near me. Why should anyone else?

I actually think the Original Poster makes a good point. I have noticed on a lot of boards that there seem to be an unusually high percentage of posters who travel in suites/penthouses/haven (NCL)/yacht club (MSC)/grills (Cunard) etc. Although I don't think it is a majority of posters, it seems to be a much larger percentage on these boards than can possibly be cruising on the actual ships.

It does not particularly bother me because I don't mind reading about how the other half lives, but it does put the comments into perspective. Sometimes it seems that the poster expects a level of service that I don't expect or need but most of the time the poster seems to be like all the non-suite posters--not bragging or making a point of the higher-level cabin except to describe it.

I suspect the (perceived) high percentage of suite/grill passengers who post on these boards merely reflects that such passengers are well-traveled, really enjoy cruising, and are more interested in reading about and sharing experiences about cruising. The casual passenger just goes on his vacation and enjoys it (or not) and moves on without bothering to post (and probably without bothering to do much research ahead of time).

Edited by flag fan

Thank you for putting in words what I was thinking. I often think that Grills passengers take an unnecessary bashing.

Jeanne

Agreed Jeanne and saladmuncher

We are doing PG this November for only 3 nights.It is an opportunity to have this privilege as I saved for it out of my nurses overtime pay.I doubt we will ever do a week in Grills cabin but I am so happy my husband can be spoilt away from all his surgery....I would hate anyone to be jealous of us....

Most people work hard to earn what they have and it is nobody's business what they spend it on...

I am so excited to be back on Victoria,Grills or not!

Edited by janecambridge

What a wonderful thing choice is.

Some have the time and flexibility to take one, or three, or more cruises a year. They may opt to go inside or maybe take a balcony and spin out the funds. Others prefer go every other year or even less frequently and enjoy the benefits of more cabin real estate and better food. Neither option is right or wrong.

But how much more civilized this discussion is on the Cunard forum than elsewhere. On some of the other lines' forums, people whinge and whine about the perks suite guests get and how a bit more cabin floor space is all they deserve for the extra moolah they have shelled out. If you look hard enough, you can find people who have spent time working out the revenue per cabin square foot and surprise, surprise - they conclude that folks in the fancy cabins are getting subsidised by the rest. The green eyed god is alive and well and living a few mouse clicks aware.

Hello,I think either I did not explain myself well or the majority of people are failing to grasp what I was attempting to say.I am not at all envious of people who can afford to travel in Grills.What I was trying to say is that I cannot grasp why,on a general thread,people find it neccessary to allways mention the fact that they are or were in a grill.

Rodger.

Hello,I think either I did not explain myself well or the majority of people are failing to grasp what I was attempting to say.I am not at all envious of people who can afford to travel in Grills.What I was trying to say is that I cannot grasp why,on a general thread,people find it neccessary to allways mention the fact that they are or were in a grill.

Rodger.

I believe I understand what you are saying and I think it is pretty much human nature that people do this. I suspect I may be guilty on occasions of similar transgressions.

That said, I do believe some posts are quite genuine in wanting to know or express opinion about a Grills experience or expectation.

Two posters asked about the reward points. I use AMEX travel rewards. You can use points to pay for trips. You get a bigger bang for your bucks (or points) if you use them to upgrade to first/business class air travel as they price those seats 5-10 times over the cheap(er) seats. But you can use points to pay for Cunard trips. I found this out the first time I took a T/A crossing and the agent told me I could use points and travel for "free." Since then I have tried to run my whole business through my cards.

Rodger.

I think, for me, I want to know if someone is sailing in Princess or Queens Grill accommodations. Not because I am impressed or envious, but because their experiences may be unique to offerings associated with their dining venue or cabin type. In perusing the Cunard board for quite some time in anticipation of booking our first voyage, I have not found those who mention that they are traveling in a grills class status to be boastful, disdainful of others or unhelpful.

Further, whenever I post a review I like to state which stateroom type I was in, so others understand the specifics of what I am discussing.

Rodger.

The way I read that statement you see any mention that one was staying in a Grill suite to be boasting and condescending toward non-Grills passengers. By your logic anyone in the Grills would have to avoid any mention of their accommodation. Their on board review would then be completely distorted and not representative of the typical stateroom and dining experience for the majority of the passengers.

So would you have me mention my restaurant meals, but not that they were in PG? On QM2 the Grills have their own galley and 14 chefs - one of whom exclusively takes care of off-menu requests. A lot more time and attention can be given to each course then in the main Britannia galley. And should I mention the two loungers on my balcony, but not identify the stateroom as a Grill, the Britannia balcony passenger will wonder why they just get two upright chairs.

I don't think the OP is referring to the Grills posters who give information that people are asking for or are giving information that is interesting or helpful to all.

I believe he is referring to those posts where there is no earthly reason to mention that the poster travels in the Grills.

1....I can't relate to the OPs complaint because we always book the Grills.

2....I can't comment on the OPs problem with the Britannia resturant, because we always eat in the Grills.

3....I know the OP mentioned that they were booking an inside....but I would highly recommend the Grills because the expierence is so much better.

4....I've never had to worry about the lack of closet space the OP is talking about, because we've only sailed in the Grills.

5....I know the OP said that they prefer traditional dining, but I recommend the Grills because we always enjoy it so much more.

6....I know the OP was referring to the main pool deck....but on the Grills deck, we always get prompt service.

And so on.........basically saying that they can't relate to the thread because they only travel in the Grills.

BlueRiband....this was not a reply to your post.

Edited by brigittetom

Totally agree..until I win the lottery !

Also agree that there are some people that always manage to fit into their forum posts that they are "grills" whatever the subject, it's one of the little perks,isn't it....

yes, can I win the lotto with you, we can share the winnings.:p

I'm happy to hear people describe their experiences regardless of what class, ship and line they sail on. In fact, descriptions on CC about the Grills Class experience encouraged me to give it a try on our last cruise, our 6th with Cunard but first in Grills (PG). It was wonderful and we will try it again whenever the pricing makes sense.

... where there is no earthly reason to mention that the poster travels in the Grills.

2....I can't comment on the OPs problem with the Britannia resturant, because we always eat in the Grills.

3....I know the OP mentioned that they were booking an inside....but I would highly recommend the Grills because the expierence is so much better.

4....I've never had to worry about the lack of closet space the OP is talking about, because we've only sailed in the Grills.

5....I know the OP said that they prefer traditional dining, but I recommend the Grills because we always enjoy it so much more.

6....I know the OP was referring to the main pool deck....but on the Grills deck, we always get prompt service.

And so on.........basically saying that they can't relate to the thread because they only travel in the Grills. ...

Well said brigittetom :) , thank you.

I think, for me, I want to know if someone is sailing in Princess or Queens Grill accommodations. Not because I am impressed or envious, but because their experiences may be unique to offerings associated with their dining venue or cabin type. ...
You make a very good point cougaraz, thank you. It is essential, I would have thought, in reviews or reports, to explain the grade of accommodation booked when talking of cabin amenities.

Discussion of grade of cabin (QG, PG, Britannia) is something that very rarely happens on board between passengers, in my experience. Moving around the ship I've no idea what accommodation other people have booked; they could be in a Deck 4 Inside or in a Q1.

(On one QM2 crossing a few years back, when I was booked in an inside cabin, a couple on the pub-quiz team I was a part of invited us four other members to their cabin for an end-of-voyage drink. For a week we'd been chatting with them, the subject of cabin grades or "what type of cabin have you got?" had never come up in conversation. Imagine our surprise when it turned out they were in the Holyrood Duplex Suite (Q2), one of the five two-level suites overlooking the stern of the ship. We were served champagne and canape by their butler. But as I said, not once did they boast about, or even mention, their grade of accommodation in the previous week. Had they not been so generous, I would not have known, they modestly underplayed the whole thing.)

Two friends have just been upgraded to QG for their next QM2 trip, their first time in the grills. Knowing that I've only ever sailed in Britannia grade, they have told me because they are excited about their good fortune, but are not boasting or "acting superior".

As others above have explained, there can be many reasons why people are in "the Grills".

Best wishes and thanks again :)

Edited by pepperrn

You make a very good point cougaraz, thank you. It is essential, I would have thought, in reviews or reports, to explain the grade of accommodation booked when talking of cabin amenities.

Discussion of grade of cabin (QG, PG, Britannia) is something that very rarely happens on board between passengers, in my experience. Moving around the ship I've no idea what accommodation other people have booked; they could be in a Deck 4 Inside or in a Q1.

(On one QM2 crossing a few years back, when I was booked in an inside cabin, a couple on the pub-quiz team I was a part of invited us four other members to their cabin for an end-of-voyage drink. For a week we'd been chatting with them, the subject of cabin grades or "what type of cabin have you got?" had never come up in conversation. Imagine our surprise when it turned out they were in the Holyrood Duplex Suite (Q2), one of the five two-level suites overlooking the stern of the ship. We were served champagne and canape by their butler. But as I said, not once did they boast about, or even mention, their grade of accommodation in the previous week. Had they not been so generous, I would not have known, they modestly underplayed the whole thing.)

Two friends have just been upgraded to QG for their next QM2 trip, their first time in the grills. Knowing that I've only ever sailed in Britannia grade, they have told me because they are excited about their good fortune, but are not boasting or "acting superior".

As others above have explained, there can be many reasons why people are in "the Grills".

Best wishes and thanks again :)

You too raise some good points Pepper. All adds to the 'spice' of Cunard.

Personally I have travelled more nights in Grills than in Britannia, and that includes two voyages in Britannia Club.

Heaven forbid, Britannia Club passengers share the same Cocktail Party as the Grills.

My last voyage was in Britannia and the next one is also will in Britannia. That is simply because I am travelling with a group of exceptionally good friends and the social occasion outweighs any more 'privileged' pampering.

I'll note at this point that I did, less than a year ago, share a table with the OP in Britannia: on another group cruise.

As far as the Grills go though, they really are the way to sail, particularly if you enjoy the freedom of 'open' time dining, your waiters and Sommelier to remain yours for the voyage, and of course, enjoy the best of food.

I wrote a review once entitled 'Dining with a Princess'. Here is the link...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/12/23/dining-with-a-princess/

11480141816_5e849cfc27_z.jpg

Over the cruise that dining experience was far more gratifying that a more recent cruise with Silversea.

And for a lot less price.

Have a nice day.

Perhaps the upgrade fairy will put me in grills, but I will not hold my breath. Going on Cunard for the first time shortly.lol:(:)

Hi JO. Pleased to see you are moving over to Cunard :) Have a great cruise be it in the Grill or Britannia. ;) I am certain you will.

Hope you are well and we still see you on our Videos we made of 2013 world voyage. Maggie.

Hello.

I have to admit I was looseing interest in my thread,but then I read a reply from brigetteton and my interest was rekindled as I appear to have morphed into anther being.

They start by agreeing with me,I think,when they say " there is no earthly reason to mention Grills.Which is what I have surely been trying to portray.

They then say the OP, which I am sure is me,had a problem booking an inside !we have allways had a balcony.

I never mentioned closet space.I would never have used the word closet.

They also " know " that I was referring to the main pool deck ? I wish I knew who this person was,and why my lap top has suddenly started typing oddly.Must be this mysterious OP.

Rodger.

I don't think the OP is referring to the Grills posters who give information that people are asking for or are giving information that is interesting or helpful to all.

I believe he is referring to those posts where there is no earthly reason to mention that the poster travels in the Grills.

And so on.........basically saying that they can't relate to the thread because they only travel in the Grills.

I must have missed those posts. I'll have to keep an eye out and politely remind transgressors not to be so condescending in future.

Rodger....I'm very sorry that I didn't make myself clear. The references 1-thru 6 were not referring to you as the OP. Those were supposed to be examples of various previous posts where someone felt the need to mention the Grills when there was no reason to.

I certainly agree though, when it's relevant, we need and want to know that the poster is talking about the Grills.

I would love to sail in the Grills, but as a few others have said...to me it's just not worth the extra money. Luckily we all have different priorities. :)

I would suggest that anyone of a nervous dissposition does not read this anarchistic thread.

It will I think come as a suprise to a lot of people that there are members of this forum,I am one,my wife is one,that cannot afford to travel in P or Q Grills.

We are fairly long standing Cunarders and are more than happy with our lot.Reading threads I sometimes get the impression that the first thing in a lot of peoples minds is to, as quickly as possible mention a Grill.

It is not my intention to be offensive,and I appologise if it comes over that way.It is just an observation on reading many Cunard threads.

Rodger.

We did a P-1 in '09 & a Q-6 in '10. I had received an inheritance from my parents & decided to splurge. The Q-6 was also kind of a honeymoon cruise as well. Though money is fairly tight now, we did love the ambience/fantastic food/and amazing attention to detail that we received. We cruise mostly Celebrity, as Cunard does less in the Caribbean than they used to. Currently we're considering either a trip on the QV throught the Panama Calal or perhaps another Celebrity trip on the Eclipse. The Eclipse comes closest to matching Cunard's standards.

Perhaps the upgrade fairy will put me in grills, but I will not hold my breath. Going on Cunard for the first time shortly.lol:(:)

Your best bet for an upgrade is to book a "guarantee" level. If you book say..an inside(many sleep 4)and you're only 2 people,Cunard may ask to upgrade you to a room that sleeps only 2 or 3 pax. A lot of pax have gotten nice upgrades that way. I think also if you spend quite a bit of $$ on board, that may entice them to upgrade you as well.