Rental car Galveston on Sunday?

39august

For years I have read here that it is impossible to rent a car on Sunday in Galveston. I just did a mock booking for a rental on Sept. 27, Sunday, at Enterprise and got a quote and a schedule showing Enterprise is open 8AM to 1 PM on Sundays. Is this new, or have all those posts I have read in the past simply been incorrect?

My understanding is that Enterprise changed their schedule about a year ago, and is now open on Sunday. However, the last I heard, they would not do one-way rentals from HOU to Galveston. Perhaps that has changed too.

How odd that no one has posted this info in a year! I was looking for a one way from Galveston to OKC. We may be riding down with another couple but we are staying for an additional week, thus needing a one way.

In 2011, after a TA, we'd booked a one-way rental from Hertz in Texas City to drive home. It was a Sunday.

So many people had done the same they brought all the reserved cars to the ship and set up shop on a card table just outside the terminal:) Lots cheaper than flying too.

Edited by pspercy

In 2011, after a TA, we'd booked a one-way rental from Hertz in Texas City to drive home. It was a Sunday.

So many people had done the same they brought all the reserved cars to the ship and set up shop on a card table just outside the terminal:) Lots cheaper than flying too.

I've also read about Avis in Texas City being a good option for cruisers. Supposedly, they have a shuttle to the cruise port for $50 total, not per person.

I booked 2 one-ways (HOU to Galveston and back) on Enterprise. I have been trying to call them to verbally confirm that both one way reservations are valid but no one is answering the phone. The one way from Galveston to HOU is quite pricey (about $155 for smallest car) for a one day rental though so I'm trying to find another cheaper way to get back to HOU.

I booked 2 one-ways (HOU to Galveston and back) on Enterprise. I have been trying to call them to verbally confirm that both one way reservations are valid but no one is answering the phone. The one way from Galveston to HOU is quite pricey (about $155 for smallest car) for a one day rental though so I'm trying to find another cheaper way to get back to HOU.

Call the Galveston location and they can tell you the least expensive way to get to their location other than renting a car at the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Avis booked 2 days before the cruise & Avis for the day of debarkation. G Bush airport for 2 days, drop off in TX city.(my son lives in Tx and they are driving down so he will take me to the port etc.) Price paid up front. $166 with tax etc. 1 day rental Tx city to G Bush airport $46.50 total.

How odd that no one has posted this info in a year! I was looking for a one way from Galveston to OKC. We may be riding down with another couple but we are staying for an additional week, thus needing a one way.

I posted it!

Enterprise allows one ways from Hobby to Galveston, but they charge a $100 "drop" charge on top of the price.

In September, I am taking Uber to Galveston and renting the car there. Will come out cheaper and I won't have to wait around for a shared van. Plus the last time I sailed out of Galveston, I returned the car to Hobby the morning of the cruise and took the cruise shuttle back down. Wasn't convenient at all but definitely doable.

Enterprise allows one ways from Hobby to Galveston, but they charge a $100 "drop" charge on top of the price.

In September, I am taking Uber to Galveston and renting the car there. Will come out cheaper and I won't have to wait around for a shared van. Plus the last time I sailed out of Galveston, I returned the car to Hobby the morning of the cruise and took the cruise shuttle back down. Wasn't convenient at all but definitely doable.

I've joined an uber bulletin board and the drivers all say they do not go to Galveston & that Galveston is anti-uber to the point of harassment - have you found a workaround with uber?

have you found a workaround with uber?

My only suggestion would be not to enter the destination address until you are in the car. That's my general rule of thumb with them anyway. It's always been my experience that drivers will never refuse a $60-70 fare.

We're flying into Hobby and renting a car from Avis and returning it to Texas City (were also staying there as well at the Best Western that's in the mall area) we're arranging for a cab to take us to the pier the morning of the cruise and then I purchased the Galveston express transportation back to the airport when we get back. we got good rates for both and Avis even has a drop box that you can return the car before the mall opens on Sunday (they don't open til 10 and we wanted to be at the pier at 10)