Table Mates: The Good, The Bad and the Meh..

BeckinTx

My sister and I cruise together. We took our seats one evening with two other women who smiled tightly at us, barely nodded and went back to speaking solely to each other. Attempts to converse had only one word replies.

Additionally, they kept scooching closer to the wall-they were across from one another Confused, my sister and I talked and admired the boat and the food. During one story, my sister alluded to "Dad". The one lady turned and exclaimed-loudly- "Oh thank goodness you're sisters."

Suddenly, they couldn't be any friendlier. I assume that once they knew we weren't a couple, they were ok sharing a table. They ended up being very judgmental women-about everything. We moved and were much happier with happier people.

My sister and I cruise together. We took our seats one evening with two other women who smiled tightly at us, barely nodded and went back to speaking solely to each other. Attempts to converse had only one word replies.

Additionally, they kept scooching closer to the wall-they were across from one another Confused, my sister and I talked and admired the boat and the food. During one story, my sister alluded to "Dad". The one lady turned and exclaimed-loudly- "Oh thank goodness you're sisters."

Suddenly, they couldn't be any friendlier. I assume that once they knew we weren't a couple, they were ok sharing a table. They ended up being very judgmental women-about everything. We moved and were much happier with happier people.

Unfortunately you will find people lke that everywhere. I wonder what their relationship was and why they would assume you two were a couple when they weren't.:confused::confused:

And now... The more awkward? My parents and I decided to have lunch in the MDR one day on the Explorer and shared a table for a change. We ended up with a man and his adult son. Sounds like a good match right? Wrong! The son ended up following me for the remainder of the cruise (a 10-nighter! [emoji33]). He would mysteriously appear everywhere I was - the pool, the cafe, the shops, etc! It got to the point where I would duck and run in the opposite direction when I saw him. Finally by the pool one day, he came to talk to my mom and I - my mom said something to him about my "boyfriend" having e-mailed us to tell us how bad the weather was at home. The boyfriend was actually non-existent, but it did the trick and I never saw him again!

Like Donaldsc said, you should have reported this to security. This is a little off topic but I'll tell you my stalker incident.

We were a group of family and friends. My DD's BFF was sailing with us. Both girls were late 20's. BFF was a longshoremen. She was not a shrinking violet.

She started a conversation with a guy around 50ish. He tells her he is sailing with his mother. Then he tells her how beautiful she is and would she like to come back to his cabin so he could photograph her? Umm, NO! So, someone in our group walks by and she leaves. Later he approaches her again. She gets out of it but he sees my DD. He approaches her. Guess what? She is beautiful and would she like to come back to his cabin to be photographed.

We were by the photo section so approached the guys there and told them what was going on. They told us to stay where we were and keep an eye on him so that he could be identified. We waited, and waited, and waited. Finally we asked what was taking so long. We were told that the senior officers were on the bridge discussing what to do. Security came and talked to us. They then started following the guy. He was never seen again. This was Princess, by the way.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Have generally had great people at our table, people from all types of countries, lovely to talk to and find out about their lives. One cruise we were at a table for four with an older retired couple (I am 64, so no age prejudice here), they hardly spoke and when we tried to make conversation answered with one or two words. We did this for two nights and then saw Maitre D and asked for another table, shifted to a larger table with people who were happy to chat. The Maitre D also threw in 2 complimentary bottles of wine for our "inconvenience" which we happily shared with our table. Your cruse, spend it with nice people.

I've had excellent table mates and some not so good.

We sat at a table once with mostly older (not to be rude) people and they really just ate and left and wanted no part in conversation. I think they assumed we were a couple (he's straight, I'm gay). Practically every cruise we've taken people have assumed we're a couple lol.

So all in all we've had one meh table and several awesome ones.

I did cruise solo about 3 months ago and sat at a large table and it was the best cruise experience I've ever had.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

In this day and age small minded people like this make me sick:confused:

Just to jerk their chains, you should have intimated in some way that you were BOTH sisters and lovers. They probably would not have finished the meal, left the table and walked in the opposite direction anytime they saw you on the ship.

LOL!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Just to jerk their chains, you should have intimated in some way that you were BOTH sisters and lovers. They probably would not have finished the meal, left the table and walked in the opposite direction anytime they saw you on the ship.

LOL!!

DON

Then u should have asked how long they have been partners!![emoji3]

And now... The more awkward? My parents and I decided to have lunch in the MDR one day on the Explorer and shared a table for a change. We ended up with a man and his adult son. Sounds like a good match right? Wrong! The son ended up following me for the remainder of the cruise (a 10-nighter! [emoji33]). He would mysteriously appear everywhere I was - the pool, the cafe, the shops, etc! It got to the point where I would duck and run in the opposite direction when I saw him. Finally by the pool one day, he came to talk to my mom and I - my mom said something to him about my "boyfriend" having e-mailed us to tell us how bad the weather was at home. The boyfriend was actually non-existent, but it did the trick and I never saw him again!

[i'm not replying to this post specifically, or to this poster, but to the various replies which I don't know how to embed.]

Other people have commented about this being creepy, or stalking, etc. But I don't see it, myself. Young man is attracted to young woman, follows her around, is told she isn't interested, goes away. Sounds more like "courting" than "stalking" to me.

Why would anyone suggest calling security, when telling him you have a boyfriend is just as effective? As a rule, I think it's appropriate to let someone know he isn't welcome before you call the cops.

LOL!!

DON

That wouldn't have worked. Incest is one of the few sexual practices that you are still allowed to disapprove of. :rolleyes:

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

[i'm not replying to this post specifically, or to this poster, but to the various replies which I don't know how to embed.]

Other people have commented about this being creepy, or stalking, etc. But I don't see it, myself. Young man is attracted to young woman, follows her around, is told she isn't interested, goes away. Sounds more like "courting" than "stalking" to me.

Why would anyone suggest calling security, when telling him you have a boyfriend is just as effective? As a rule, I think it's appropriate to let someone know he isn't welcome before you call the cops.

I actually had the same thought.

Now if he'd kept t up after the "boyfriend" was on the scene it may have been different.

Boy if DW hadn't chased me so hard I'd still be single, was that stalking. I think not.

That wouldn't have worked. Incest is one of the few sexual practices that you are still allowed to disapprove of. :rolleyes:

I didn't think you were allowed disapprove of anything anymore the PC people object.

Husband and I usually book MTD . On our last cruise , they couldn't accommodate us and sat us at a table of eight friends . Before they started eating they joined hands and asked us to join in and started saying grace. I found that to be uncomfortable.. Then one " gentleman " tells me he never eats all the food on his plate.., It was lobster night and he was trying to send me a message. I did not have seconds so how rude and he was portraying himself as a southern Christian " gentleman " .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Husband and I usually book MTD . On our last cruise , they couldn't accommodate us and sat us at a table of eight friends . Before they started eating they joined hands and asked us to join in and started saying grace. I found that to be uncomfortable.. Then one " gentleman " tells me he never eats all the food on his plate.., It was lobster night and he was trying to send me a message. I did not have seconds so how rude and he was portraying himself as a southern Christian " gentleman " . Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, some (not all, thank God) people portraying themselves as "Christian" or "gentlemen/women" are indeed trying to impose their narrow/intolerant/skewed/what-have-you worldview on those around them.

A few rejoinders to his plate comment come to mind:

--"Oh, my: isn't that what some Muslim cultures do to show the host they've had so much they couldn't eat any more? I understand they burp for the same reason." <follow with the best belch one can attain at the moment>:eek: "Did I do that right?"

--or the simpler, "Well, my Momma _always_ told me it's a sin to waste food!" (possibly adding, pointing to his plate "Are you going to finish that?")

As to the joining of hands: "I'm sorry, but that would make me 'unclean'.";)

Edited by capncarp

We used to do assigned dining, and have only had one bad/uncomfortable experience. We always chose 8-10 top tabes, assuming there will almost always be at least one couple with similar interest. One cruise, however, we were sat with a group of 6 people that were all together and they were so rude. Not to us...they were disrespectful to the server, and complained about every single thing...every single night. I was embarrassed for them, us, and the server.

We now do YTD, but only because we have twin 8 year old children. Although we insist on good table manners for our children, I am considerate to the fact that adults cruising without kids prefer to sit with adults.

I obviously love children, but if cruising without my children, I'd prefer being at a table with adults so it's all adult conversation.

Oh...I forgot to share the one YTD experience we couldn't believe occurred. Our family of four was seated next to a table of eight. The men (dad's/husband's) were clearly drunk. The men and children (probably 6-10 yr olds) started a food fight. They were howling, high-fiving each other and totally out of control. The women were visibly embarrassed.

I was in shock and angered at such behavior in a dining room, but I was even more angered and appalled that the staff didn't make them leave.

On our honeymmoon cruise on Commadore in 1994 we were assigned to a 4-top (This was a small ship with only assigned dining with one dining room). On the first night the 2nd couple did not show up. The second night was the first formal night and I was wearing my US Air Force Mess Dress (tuxedo equivalent) with all medals and decoration worn as required. The 2nd couple showed up and and while we were perusing the menu the wife said to me "So, how many people did you have to kill to get those medals?" My new wife just pulled her napkin from her lap, stood up, and said "We'll be dining elsewhere tonight".

We explained our situation to the Maitre D and we were placed at a 2-top for the rest of our cruise. And it's been a 2-top for cruising ever since

On our honeymmoon cruise on Commadore in 1994 we were assigned to a 4-top (This was a small ship with only assigned dining with one dining room). On the first night the 2nd couple did not show up. The second night was the first formal night and I was wearing my US Air Force Mess Dress (tuxedo equivalent) with all medals and decoration worn as required. The 2nd couple showed up and and while we were perusing the menu the wife said to me "So, how many people did you have to kill to get those medals?" My new wife just pulled her napkin from her lap, stood up, and said "We'll be dining elsewhere tonight".

We explained our situation to the Maitre D and we were placed at a 2-top for the rest of our cruise. And it's been a 2-top for cruising ever since

Your wife should have said to the other woman, "A simple thank you for your service would suffice, as it's people like him that fight for your right to say such moronic/tacky things!"

Thank you for your service. 😃

Even if the others at the table might have disagreed with whatever conflict you served in, you did not make military policy and you served with honor as ordered. If you had thought quickly enough, you might have responded "several and you are next". What you and your wife did was definitely better however.

DON