In Defense of the Budget Cruiser

mame42

This is so true, even the very wealthy budget. They maintain their wealth because they don't spend all of it, not because they can't. Here's an interesting fact: research by the National Endowment for Financial Education estimates that 70 percent of people who suddenly come into large sums of money ended up broke within 7 years. Guess these people wish that they had a budget.

And yet today on a different sub forum another person insists they tip 70% to his local servants since he just got a decent job. But man oh man did you hit the nail on the head.

The budget cruiser needs no defense. Any amount can be a budget. It should not have a negative connotation. It means spending within your means and having the will to pass up some bells and whistles. The way I see it if you paid your rate to be on the ship you're entitled to whatever the company advertises to you and no one should feel guilty in not spending more on frills.

Oh and talking budget, you can order a bucket of beer at 2 of the bars during happy hour and get the second one for $1 more. We just take the remainder of them back to our cabin to enjoy whenever;) Cann't resist a bargain:D

Is this available on all Hal ships and is it advertised on board,thanks

Good ^^ :)

I'm still trying to figure out why so-called 'budget cruisers' need a defense?

They don't. Defense implies doing something wrong. What is wrong with each person spending their own money their own way?

As long as they don't owe me money, I figure it is none of my business what they do with whatever funds they have.

Sail, you've been on the boards enough that I'm sure you've seen the posts where people denigrate those of us who book insides, or take advantage of flash sales. Where it's implied we're all cheapskates and are probably trying to sneak liquor onboard or remove the HSC which has been brought up in this thread. That's why some feel the need to defend themselves.

I think EVERYONE is on a budget. Mine may be more or less than someone else's but it's still a budget. For my upcoming cruise I planned out what I could afford as monthly payments from the time I booked the cruise until the time final payment is due. My budget allowed for an ocean view stateroom. That was great for me. I know I can only afford to cruise once every two years. That's my budget and I'm okay with that. Others can cruise multiple times a year. That's fantastic for them and one day I hope I can do that. Celebrate what you can do and what your budget allows. It's different for everyone. We are all on board to have a great time no matter which room we have chosen to lay our heads for the evening.

Sail, you've been on the boards enough that I'm sure you've seen the posts where people denigrate those of us who book insides, or take advantage of flash sales. Where it's implied we're all cheapskates and are probably trying to sneak liquor onboard or remove the HSC which has been brought up in this thread. That's why some feel the need to defend themselves.

Yes, certainly I have seen the innuendos of such posts, at a minimum.

It says more about that poster than it ever will about anyone who is filling the cabins on the ships. If HAL (and other cruise lines) did not want to sell those cabins, they would not build them. Society as a whole has some better accommodations in housing, in automobiles, in restaurants, in hotels etc....... the guest population aboard a cruise ship is a small society. There are bigger better cabins and there are smaller cabins and society will fill them according to their wants and needs.

The reality is that despite a great many months on board cruise ships and having met many people, I probably could not tell you what category cabin most were in unless they invited me to a party in their cabin, I saw them enter it or heard them say their cabin number...... and frankly, I don't care. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Do people really denigrate those who book insides? Thinking of Ruth C who is so highly regarded here, and who often states that is her preference. I've never seen a post denigrating her or anyone else for booking them. I don't think - apart from one or two perhaps - that anyone really makes a point of saying what category they tend to book. And more power to anyone who gets a good deal through the sales! I keep looking, LOL.

Its certainly not our place to judge what, how and why people decide to do what they do. Everyone's situation is different and can easily vary from cruise to cruise.

I am much more interested in how people act toward me and treat me than what level of cabin they are in!

I agree it doesn't happen often but I have seen such innuendos from time to time.

One can always find an exception to use as an example and, indeed, Ruth would be one but there are few folks who have been known to have a negative inference in some of their posts regarding this subject. Please do not expect me to name them.

(I'd be afraid I might spell their name wrong and have another poster jump all over THAT. :D )

Its certainly not our place to judge what, how and why people decide to do what they do. Everyone's situation is different and can easily vary from cruise to cruise.

I am much more interested in how people act toward me and treat me than what level of cabin they are in!

If they make me laugh on a cruise, it goes a long way to my liking them right off the bat. :D :D

I was at a small dinner party last week and the group melded so well, we laughed just about from soup to nuts. We all sat back at the end of the evening and relished the good company we had enjoyed.

Did I hear my name dropped?

I had decided to stay out of this thread, as I didn't feel there was anything I could contribute, but since my name was mentioned, I may as well join in.

I guess I have often mentioned that I book insides, but I thought it was mainly to establish credibility when answering a question about those cabins. Otherwise, there really isn't much reason to mention what type of cabin one typically books.

I haven't ever felt a put-down by posters about the lower category cabins. No reason to! It's my cabin, and I'm the only one who has to be happy about the choice.

I will also accept that just about everyone has a budget to work with, but I thought the concept of "budget cruiser" meant something more along the lines of working within a tight budget. It's not exactly the same thing as having a budget.

If it meant I could get a cheaper fare, I would go & bunk with the crew. :eek:

Um- I had that offer once but it was many years ago when I was about 23- and actually, I don't think a reduced rate was part of the deal. This young man tried to convince me I wouldn't feel as much motion in his cabin as I felt in the one I was sharing with three other young ladies. Hmmm...Just don't think that would have been the case!

Edited by holomuku

>SNIP<

I will also accept that just about everyone has a budget to work with, but I thought the concept of "budget cruiser" meant something more along the lines of working within a tight budget. It's not exactly the same thing as having a budget.

Thank you for mentioning that RuthC. I tried to make a similar point earlier in this thread, but your comment is much clearer, IMHO.

I am amused that some posters are so quick to identify that they TOO have a budget. Do they really think they understand the challenges faced by people who are limited by necessity to making lower-cost choices? As I said earlier, having a $2,000 budget is a lot more challenging than having a $10,000 budget.

There are posters in this thread who have made comments in the past about how $399/person fares "cheapen" the onboard experience. Other posters have suggested that cruisers who get onboard for $399 might remove the HSC. Sometimes that $399 is ALL that someone on a strict budget is able to spend.

It is no wonder that there was a need for this thread. I'm more than a bit surprised, though, to see which posters are most invested in it.

Um- I had that offer once but it was many years ago when I was about 23- and actually, I don't think a reduced rate was part of the deal. This young man tried to convince me I wouldn't feel as much motion in his cabin as I felt in the one I was sharing with three other young ladies. Hmmm...Just don't think that would have been the case!

Thanks for the story - made me smile!

Not certain exactly why a $399 price would cheapen a cruise. I say more power to those who live in an area where they can get these last minute deals.

IMHO, what cheapens a cruise is that minority of people on board who believe that price/affordability/budget is the determinate for good manners, good decorum, good conversation, etc. I feel sorry for them.

Not certain exactly why a $399 price would cheapen a cruise. I say more power to those who live in an area where they can get these last minute deals.

IMHO, what cheapens a cruise is that minority of people on board who believe that price/affordability/budget is the determinate for good manners, good decorum, good conversation, etc. I feel sorry for them.

What cheapens the cruise experience is people that get a $399 cruise and then brag about it to anyone within earshot. If a person pays more they are basically an idiot. That is the determinate in manners. No one wants to hear that.

I buy most of my summer clothes in late August/September because we travel to warm climates in the winter. Clearly those who have paid full price are not idiots. Nor are those who pay more for a cruise.

We would never discuss what we paid for a cruise while on that cruise but we certainly have no issue in telling people on this forum what we paid in the past or what our target price is in order for them to evaluate an offer.

We were able to snag a great deal on a short notice cruise while travelling in Australia earlier this year thanks to the kind folks who post on the Austrian page of CC. They have a running commentary that discusses the latest last minute cruise prices in that part of the world. Saved us a nice chunk of change.

That was the only cruise we have been on where people volunteered information about what they had paid. And some apparently paid less than us...no big deal to us since we were pleased with our fare. We have been asked what we paid for a cruise while on it but we always demur. We will however tell people where we book our cruises if they ask. We have yet to see anyone running around telling everyone that they paid $399 or whatever.

Edited by iancal

I buy most of my summer clothes in late August/September because we travel to warm climates in the winter. Clearly those who have paid full price are not idiots. Nor are those who pay more for a cruise.

We would never discuss what we paid for a cruise while on that cruise but we certainly have no issue in telling people on this forum what we paid in the past or what our target price is in order for them to evaluate an offer.

We were able to snag a great deal on a short notice cruise while travelling in Australia earlier this year thanks to the kind folks who post on the Austrian page of CC. They have a running commentary that discusses the latest last minute cruise prices in that part of the world. Saved us a nice chunk of change.

That was the only cruise we have been on where people volunteered information about what they had paid. And some apparently paid less than us...no big deal to us since we were pleased with our fare. We have been asked what we paid for a cruise while on it but we always demur. We will however tell people where we book our cruises if they ask. We have yet to see anyone running around telling everyone that they paid $399 or whatever.

Talking about it on here is totally different then in person. It just seems for some it's a badge of honor. You should have been on my Veendam cruise last month. There were many, many people talking about how cheap there cruise was. I would peg it at at least 50 percent. These were people that cruise multiple times a year according to them. They ere not people that scraped money together to go on a cruise.

What cheapens the cruise experience is people that get a $399 cruise and then brag about it to anyone within earshot. If a person pays more they are basically an idiot. That is the determinate in manners. No one wants to hear that.

I've only been on four HAL cruises, but I don't recall anyone mentioning what they paid for their cabin. I did happen to see other posts where you mentioned all the people you encountered on that cruise who, without solicitation, said how they paid less for their cabin than you did. I would suggest you must have had a unique group on that cruise.

I just booked a cruise last Monday that is leaving this Monday. I could have paid a little less in airfare if I booked that earlier, but not as much as I saved on my cruise fare by booking so close to sailing time. That is one strategy I use as a budget cruiser. Some people choose to book their cruises early, and will pay more than last-minute fares.

...working within a tight budget [is] not exactly the same thing as having a budget.

Truly said. I'll admit the delight of not having to count dimes and quarters, is a thing out of my experience. For some of us, having comfortable financial wiggle-room is a rare state. As a comparative novice here, early on I asked at large about the magic of cruising among CC contributors. Replies were remarkably varied, and mostly wonderful. What I was trying to diminish per that query, was a bothersome unease about devoting so many consecutive days to being made to feel pampered and valued. Sorry, it's a product of foolish introspection. But from such a line thought comes this thought: can I as a comfy passenger give that kind of delight to some other passengers, freely and happily, and of course subtly -- the sort of kind attention that I am not being paid to give? Worth working on next March. Regardless of their budget, regardless of mine.

I've only been on four HAL cruises, but I don't recall anyone mentioning what they paid for their cabin. I did happen to see other posts where you mentioned all the people you encountered on that cruise who, without solicitation, said how they paid less for their cabin than you did. I would suggest you must have had a unique group on that cruise.

I just booked a cruise last Monday that is leaving this Monday. I could have paid a little less in airfare if I booked that earlier, but not as much as I saved on my cruise fare by booking so close to sailing time. That is one strategy I use as a budget cruiser. Some people choose to book their cruises early, and will pay more than last-minute fares.

Well said.

I have been on enough HAL cruises to have achieved five star status and can also say that I have never once heard another passenger discuss the price of their cabin.

Unless I am sailing with friends I would never have occasion to know what category of cabin a fellow cruiser is occupying. Nor do I care. People choose the cabin that works best for them for a myriad of reasons that are clearly none of my business.

I'm of the school of thought that says everyone who cruises has a cruise budget. Some budgets are just more liberal than others but everyone is a budget traveller. So----why does the budget traveller need defending? Defending from what?

While it did seem to happen more on my last cruise it does happen. I think it depends on how many people you interact with on a given cruise. I tend to eat most of my meals on the MDR and also go out for a drink or 2 at night. That means I meet quite a few people. I also have open dining, again more people. If you eat most of your meals in the lido and sit with the same people or friends 90 % of the time it likely that you won't have those conversations.

Well said.

I have been on enough HAL cruises to have achieved five star status and can also say that I have never once heard another passenger discuss the price of their cabin.

Unless I am sailing with friends I would never have occasion to know what category of cabin a fellow cruiser is occupying. Nor do I care. People choose the cabin that works best for them for a myriad of reasons that are clearly none of my business.

I'm of the school of thought that says everyone who cruises has a cruise budget. Some budgets are just more liberal than others but everyone is a budget traveller. So----why does the budget traveller need defending? Defending from what?

I agree with you 110% - what you or I paid for a cruise is none of anyone else's concern ... IMO people who brag about the great prices they get (whether in person or online) are classless braggarts who should be ignored ...

And this, too, is an important point. Some of us spend a lot of time in our cabins and other spend little time. For a cruiser who wants to spend most of their time outside the cabin, it is less important what category or comforts. I like to spend much time in my cabin and verandah and it matters a lot to me.

No one should judging others particularly when you are doing so in the dark...... you only know of people here what we choose to share.

I've been on 2 cruises, one in an ocean view, one in a balcony, and really loved the balcony, but we spend more time in the cabin than others may. Don't know how anyone can do inside (hubby and I are both claustrophobic), but if it suits your needs, enjoy it.

We are on a very tight budget, and while we used to travel a great deal, we no longer can afford to do that, and I have found that I am not nearly as "fussy" as I used to be. We did a road trip to PA and DE last summer, and at one time I said I would NEVER stay in a Days Inn, we did, on our way up north and our way home to FL. Amazing what really having to watch your pennies does to you.

OK, so I admit I do judge people a little on their clothes, but more on fit and does it suit the occasion is it appropriate for that person, than whether or not they shop at Target or Saks. And shoes, well, because I have a job(s) where I am on my feet ALL THE TIME, I can no longer wear cute heels because they hurt too much. Nice flats or whatever for me, sad to say, and more power to those women who can get away with those big old heels like I used to be able to do.

I booked a gty cabin for our next cruise; our first cruise we were fore, our last cruise we were mid-ship, and I frankly didn't see much difference, so as long as I could have a balcony for a lower price, I was happy. I understand some people have strict preferences as to where their cabin is, but to me, it doesn't matter.

What's most important is, have a good time, do what works for you, and don't worry so much about others, as long as they don't infringe on your good times.

Edited by kimlovesfl

Not only do we travel on a budget , we also live that way. With hubby now retired, we must.

However, we like to travel and we do spend time in our cabin. When we cruised before, there was one whole day where we never even got dressed until dinnertime :D. A wonderful day!

I do not begrudge those who can afford to travel and not have to plan. We do plan but I will say we plan for a long time,sometimes for a couple of years, to be able to afford the cabin we like and do all the things we want to do. We decide where we want to go , and then research prices and start a sideline in the budget and when the money is saved, we book.

Also, class come in all sizes..and colors..and socio-economic backgrounds.

Some people may feel that those who disclose their pricing on this forum are classless braggarts. I would disagree completely. They are passing on data that others want to see. Not any different than people giving others a heads up when prices decrease outside of the final payment window. Who does not appreciate a heads up that they can get a price decrease or category increase simply by making a phone call? Same with upsells.

Check out the Australia/New Zealand forum...specifically the El Cheapo topic.

Oz's and Kiwi's are giving each other a heads up on great last minute cruise deals. Simply by reading this post we saved over $2500. AUD on our recent 17 day cruise. We were able to act quickly and snag a balcony gty at well below our target price. There is no hint of bragging on the forum, it is all about disseminating information. Including the advice to avoid Star Cruises unless one is a gambler.

Edited by iancal