In Defense of the Budget Cruiser

mame42

Let's hope the budgeting crowd aren't the ones at the front desk removing the Hotel service charge and stiffing the crew to stay on "Budget"

In the grand scheme of things, who isn't on a budget?

Schlepping water, tab, leaving our car at a hotel for a week

Using priceline for a hotel.

If I wasn't on a budget I'd have a yacht with a crew of 27

Let's hope the budgeting crowd aren't the ones at the front desk removing the Hotel service charge and stiffing the crew to stay on "Budget"

What a rude comment!!!

Just because we budget doesn't mean we have no manners and are too cheap to pay the proper fees. You make a very rash judgement. Not all can afford Neptunes, but we do know how to behave and dress.

In the grand scheme of things, who isn't on a budget?

Schlepping water, tab, leaving our car at a hotel for a week

Using priceline for a hotel.

If I wasn't on a budget I'd have a yacht with a crew of 27

Just because we are on a budget does not mean we would remove our HSC in order to save a few $$. I think most of us realize how much the crew depend on the HSC to feed their families. We also appreciate the service they provide. Budgeting, at least in my opinion, means choosing the things we can do without & the things that are important for us to splurge on. The HSC is an item line on my budget list.

Also, remember that many types of shoes and other clothing may be being worn due to some type of disability or other body issue. Let's go easing on judging others for whatever reason.

You read my mind. I will have proper formal dress and "open-toed, flat, sporty shoes" due to foot surgery on my upcoming cruise. Wonder what the fashion police will report about that. Kinda like a man wearing tennies with a tux.

Edited by pv girl
add

What a rude comment!!!

Just because we budget doesn't mean we have no manners and are too cheap to pay the proper fees. You make a very rash judgement. Not all can afford Neptunes, but we do know how to behave and dress.

Thank you, we must have been typing at the same time.

You read my mind. I will have proper formal dress and "open-toed, flat, sporty shoes" due to foot surgery on my upcoming cruise. Wonder what the fashion police will report about that. Kinda like a man wearing tennies with a tux.

I also would like to add that all men do not own a tuxedo. My DH will wear a nice suit on formal night. I think the service fee to rent a tux is an expense we can do without. I have posted on another thread that "what ever someone else wears will not affect the taste of my food." I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

What a rude comment!!!

I said "Let's Hope" neptunes????

I've never had a balcony

The point is there isn't a small group of budget cruisers

Everybody is budgeting in one way or another.

Ease up on the drama the Oscars are long over

exactly:) Many of us budget for our cruises and everyone's priorities are different. As long as we are all happy and able to cruise, life is good indeed :)

This is also a good point. Some of us book Suites but perhaps opted to do that rather than some other major expense we might have chosen. As some people approach retirement, or in retirement planning earlier in their lives, buy a second home somewhere. Perhaps they have a condo in FLL? Others would rather book cruises with their money. Just because someone may be in an Inside Cabin does not mean they cannot afford a higher category. It doesn't matter to them as much as something else might. And, truthfully, how many of us even know what category the person sitting beside us at Ocean Bar are sleeping in? Who cares what category someone else is in. Choose the cruise/cabin you want and enjoy. No one's business.

My wife and I are (low) budget cruisers and proud. Actually, more to do with getting maximum value for money. First long HAL cruise together was booking a private sale after final payment date. Balcony cabin on the Prinsendam for less than $90 pp pd is nothing to sneeze at. Spent around $900 in HSC, corkage and drinks + 1 minor retail purchase on that voyage over 15 days. Did a 22 day to South America last year. Booked N GTY and ended up with a E or F cabin but it was almost just as costly ($ pp pd) due to port charges. Spent even less (around $700) in HSC and corkage on this trip, really minimizing the odd drinks to happy hour-only.

Too cheap to even pay for an Alaska (well, 2 actually) cruise because it would be very expensive for N GTY by the time all the cost were factored in.

Hate the nickel 'n diming so next 2 cruises are on no/1-stop intercontinental trips. Non-top Malta - Port Klang and 1 stop Hong Kong to Long Beach. Next-to-no entertainment but complimentary wine served at lunch and dinner. Seems much more expensive but really, $110-115 pp pd ain't bad as there's no extras to ding you on except a tip for the one steward nor is the cabin that is around 300 s.f.

Edited by cruising cockroach

My husband and I are new to Holland America. Our upcoming cruise is a life time dream of his. I am just so thankful that we can swing it financially. But it will take some cutting back on luxuries at home & on the ship to be able to afford it. So if my wardrobe is not from Nordstoms & my shoes are from the clearance rack- please do not fault us for taking our dream cruise with a budget in mind.

Thank you to the OP for reminding us that we are fortunate indeed to be able to cruise at all, many people can't.

Never worry about where your clothes come from! On my last cruise my new swimsuit was from Ross and my shoes from DSW clearance rack!! And who knew!!

I feel so blessed to just be able to be on a cruise. HAL never makes me feel inferior to anyone who has a better cabin or wardrobe! That is why we return to HAL.

Happy cruising to you all.

We select our cruises based on value. We don't rent formal wear, we seldom even take it since we travel with carry on only and usually for 8-12 weeks at a time.

Not certain how intelligent person would connect the dots and imply that we or anyone else who travels in a similar fashion would ever cancel out the automatic gratuities or behave in an untoward manner.

Comments like that speak volumes about the author.

You know what? Life is short. Enjoy your blessings and don't worry about what other people think. A cruise ship population is like people in real life. Some will be snobby, but most will be nice and friendly. Most people are so involved in their own lives that they don't pay attention to insignificant little things. It's their loss if they don't want to get to know someone because they aren't dressed to their standards or aren't in a cabin that costs a lot of money. Just go and have fun. I'm thankful that I'm lucky enough to do things that many people only dream of.

There are lots of two week millionaires who simply don't care about costs....because it's a

"once in a lifetime trip"....and then there are those who go on several cruises a year and budget accordingly....personally i would rather be a bit frugal and do more cruises than blow the wad on one big cruise...actually there are some that have just plenty of bucks to do anything they want...good for them....but for us mere mortals who might have to be a bit more frugal re shore excursions etc it's still all good...the ones that drive me crazy are the ones who don't know the difference between a two week millionaire and a several cruises a year person or call you a cheap charlie for living within your means...it is entirely possible to have a wonderful experience on a cruise without spending a fortune....

:) Come and sit with me pv girl, we would make a matching pair!! I have had polio. I wear my fancy dresses with my flat lace up shoes. I do see the glances, and sometimes hear the whispered comments, but I do not let them spoil my love of life and travel. :)

So true.

Because DW has some health issues we no longer do guarantees, and in all honesty due to some hard work we can afford to be picky, BUT we still do balcony not Suite because we just don't see the value.

I have a friend who is very wealthy and they always do insides, because

1. They like them

2. They don't believe in wasting money

So please don't let others judge you on how you choose to spend your money t is none of their business what cabin you cruise in.

Just because we are on a budget does not mean we would remove our HSC in order to save a few $$. I think most of us realize how much the crew depend on the HSC to feed their families. We also appreciate the service they provide. Budgeting, at least in my opinion, means choosing the things we can do without & the things that are important for us to splurge on. The HSC is an item line on my budget list.

Well said. I have witnessed a several people eliminating their HSC (hard to miss in one case since it was in the Neptune Lounge in a loud voice) and none of them were in "cheap" cabins. And I have no doubt they had room in their budget for it, too.

I don't think being on a budget or budgeting for your cruise means that you eliminate the HSC - it means you PLAN for it :)

:) Come and sit with me pv girl, we would make a matching pair!! I have had polio. I wear my fancy dresses with my flat lace up shoes. I do see the glances, and sometimes hear the whispered comments, but I do not let them spoil my love of life and travel. :)

I've had surgery on both feet, so I wear very sensible shoes. Who cares? No one has ever remarked on my shoes, and I don't care if they do. My tablemates have become good friends. We've joined up again for additional cruises together, and the fact that I wear sensible shoes and, perhaps, the same glitzy tops I've worn before doesn't bother them in the least. They do the same...and they've been on three world cruises! It's how you behave to other people that matters and defines "class!"

I've had surgery on both feet, so I wear very sensible shoes. Who cares? No one has ever remarked on my shoes, and I don't care if they do. My tablemates have become good friends. We've joined up again for additional cruises together, and the fact that I wear sensible shoes and, perhaps, the same glitzy tops I've worn before doesn't bother them in the least. They do the same...and they've been on three world cruises! It's how you behave to other people that matters and defines "class!"

I often stare at women who wear good, comfortable shoes to dinner. What's going through my mind? "Where did she get those? Do they come in my size and foot shape?" Walk on...

I think it's important to state, despite the title of the post, the common denominator of everyone on this thread is our love of travel!

I'm a day tripper, road tripper, camper, bus tour survivor, cruiser and most frequently an arm chair traveler. I LOVE the WC blogs, the Sail Away Gang and Chardonnay Sisters. I find the port and ports of call reviews, the suite and sweets photos, the cab and caviar reviews fascinating reading.

I haven't read the negative posts mentioned here, but I find everyone I meet on board and those I follow here to be totally charming or otherwise entertaining!

I have never felt slighted by anyone. Perhaps that is because I always subscribe to the philosophy..."What other people think of me is none of my business", unless it's utterly and totally flattering of course, then please do share! [emoji1]

Oh, and again same thought on the shoes, it's appreciation of the shoes, or appreciation that I still have healthy feet or a good for you girl, rock those shoes out I'm glad you are out exploring life despite the pain you must feel.

You betcha we budget for our cruises. Some trips we've really wanted to do but airfare just killed it. We used to do guarantees (and may again) but recent health issues (DW) have made us a little more cautious as it really helps to be close to the lifts.

Still looking for something this fall (before the December trip in our signature) and will likely stay closer to home due to air costs. We budget for the "Unlimited laundry package" on board as it allows us to travel light. One of many reasons we really prefer HAL. On a longer cruise that means seeing the same shirt every four days or so. (Horrors to some!):eek:

Yes, DW needs to wear flat or nearly flat shoes. She is still beautiful. I do own a tux. Bought one once for an event at about the same cost as a rental - now I take it on our cruises. It takes no more space and weighs no more than a business suit.

We are fine with an inside and leave the TV on the bridge cam channel. Sometimes we get outsides and a couple of times have been fortunate with an inexpensive (or free!) upgrade to a balcony.

We've seen much in the last six years cruising that we would never have been able to experience on land based trips. Like others have said, we are very blessed to be able to travel and cruise at all and never take it for granted.

Good cruising to all!

There seems to be a sense that if someone is travelling on a budget they must be sailing in interior cabins, staying in two stars or no stars, and eating fast food.

We travel on a budget. We look for value. On our most recent trip we spent six nights each in five star hotels in two different cities on our trip. Why...because the value was there for us. We might otherwise have gone for a four star, a three star, or a B&B, etc. We have a target budget per diem for balcony cabins. It is a sweet spot for us. It is as much about value as it is about budget. If our price hits on a cruise that we want we book it. If not, we pass and do something else.

Why pay more when we do not have to? Doing this leaves money on the table for more travel. And we could really care less about what other people may feel about it.

Edited by iancal

We often book GTY to save a few bob. Generally always have an inside cabin low down as can't see the point in spending double on a balcony unless a very special offer comes along. The extra cost of a balcony would normally be our spending money and some. We always cruise from UK as airfares make the cruise more expensive and I'd rather be sitting relaxing than standing waiting for a plane.

I've never understood why people book cruises so far in advance as they are always much more expensive. I appreciate if you are disabled or large family group you may need to be a little better organised but it does seem crazy that if you are retired you can literally go at the drop of a hat and yet most of the older passengers I ever speak with pay top price and book a year in advance.

I have no major brand loyalty and cruise purely on price. I have yet to have a bad experience having tried P&O, Celebrity, NCL, Cunard and Princess. Having done a ship visit to Ryndam last year we picked up a good outside offer from Harwich on 18/07/15. Only booked 3 weeks ago and really looking forward to trying out HAL.

Have also recently sourced a very good value 15 night Fjord and Midnight Sun cruise on Caribbean Princess for some family out of Southampton. Inside cabin, two adults sharing with 2 teens for £1600 all in. They are currently onboard and having a brilliant time. Bargain cruising at its finest. They checked onboard for same cruise next year and were told £6000. Even with free alcohol package for 2 that is crazy.

As much as I would love to try a suite my budget would just not stretch to that and I'd rather use the extra money for another cruise.