Volendam to Alaska - after the Drydock!

Vict0riann

Now, does anybody know - if I delete these photos from my iPad, will they disappear from Tapatalk and this thread? That is what happens if I delete them from my Photobucket site. I will have to do some experimenting, but if the pictures remain here when I delete them from my iPad, then this is the very best way to post them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got off the Volendam today, the explorers lounge was closed for the first couple of days. There is new carpet there now replacing the wood floors, the rest of the furnishing looked the same. Sorry I didn't get a picture as there were people sitting in there at the time.

I just got off the Volendam today, the explorers lounge was closed for the first couple of days. There is new carpet there now replacing the wood floors, the rest of the furnishing looked the same. Sorry I didn't get a picture as there were people sitting in there at the time.

Thank you for this information.

Do you recall the colour/desgn of the new carpet?

I just got off the Volendam today, the explorers lounge was closed for the first couple of days. There is new carpet there now replacing the wood floors, the rest of the furnishing looked the same.

We have hope again! Halleluiah!

This is a good start. Let's hope those red/white chairs find a new home (in some cheap bar on land) soon.

Thanks for letting us know.

I just got off the Volendam today, the explorers lounge was closed for the first couple of days. There is new carpet there now replacing the wood floors, the rest of the furnishing looked the same.

That is good to hear about the floors at least. The removed floors weren't wood. It did look like wood, in pictures anyway. In person it looked like cheap laminate.

The Explorers Lounge finished product done during the Singapore dry dock wasn't what HAL had approved. The replacement new chairs and tables were ordered several months ago. I would expect them to be on board this month.

Now maybe they'll order new chairs and tables!

It was red and white patterned

Oh-oh. That would make it match with the chairs. Sounds ominous.

I will keep hoping that those awful chairs and itty-bitty tables are changed, too.

Oh-oh. That would make it match with the chairs. Sounds ominous.

I will keep hoping that those awful chairs and itty-bitty tables are changed, too.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing...:) Surely they won't make that the colour scheme. IIRC, the "window" chairs were a sort of orange and brown tweedy stripe, much calmer! They will clash, too.

We are on the Volendam in 27 short/long??? days ... am curious what the Explorer's lounge will look like ... is often one of my favourite places to hang out.

I am LOVING the new showers .... can't wait :D

This thread has made me even more excited!!!

IIRC, the "window" chairs were a sort of orange and brown tweedy stripe, much calmer! They will clash, too.

Right. The easy chairs along the windows are four shades of gold, tan, and brown. Done in a striped velvet. Absolutely out of step with what the rest of the room had been. I'm not sure I see them mixing well with the new red & white carpet, either. I'd love to see a picture.

• 6 months later...
Yes I agree, there were plenty of grab bars in the new shower, as well as the floor of the new shower was not slippery so no need for the mat which was still available but I never used.

I personally Loved the new shower and wished they would switch out all of the bathtub show combos to this.

DH and I like the all glass large shower (we have one at home), but my DSis needs a tub -- So I'm wondering at this final comment.

Are all the Lower Promenade bathrooms like the one shown in Ann's NEW pics?

Ann, I did see your pic on that other site, but hoped it was a Lanai bathroom wrongly labelled. My family will be in three "H" OV's on the port side in June...

Are all the Lower Promenade bathrooms like the one shown in Ann's NEW pics?

Ann, I did see your pic on that other site, but hoped it was a Lanai bathroom wrongly labelled. My family will be in three "H" OV's on the port side in June...

Sorry, Crystalspin, we were in an OV on the LP deck, I think I did grab a picture of a lanai room (but not the bathroom) on the site with photos of rooms, if you know what I mean(!). I think all the rooms now have showers. If you look on the HAL site, does it not have little symbols which signify tub or shower?

Wow! Edited to add: I just looked on the HAL deck plans myself, and there is nothing signifying that they are all showers on the LP deck now - really behind the times!

Edited by Vict0riann

HAL and as far as I can tell, all cruise lines, should be ashamed of their Internet presence. It's better than it was in the dark ages of 2009, when I gave up and booked through a TA, but it's obvious that they prefer the times when prices were high and EVERYONE booked that way! And dressed fancy for dinner!

As you saw, there is a key of the big puffy asterisk for "Shower Only" but no cabins on Lower Prom have that symbol. Fortunately the cruise is only a week and my Sis tells me she (and her lymphedema) will be fine -- but I HATE that my choice of this ship/deck is going to be responsible for aggravating her condition.

Thanks for replying to this old thread! And for ALL the photos! The bathrooms (and most of the other "new" pics) are otherwise an improvement!

Does Koningsdam not have bath tubs?

Note in these "prelim(?)" floorplans:

http://www.cruiseshipdeckplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Holland-America-Oceanview-cabin-3-Koningsdam.gif

Holland-America-Oceanview-cabin-3-Koningsdam.gif

On the other hand, these sketches look nothing like the two mockups someone else posted, which had the bed near the window and the sofa farther in. So YMMV

We are on the Volendam in 27 short/long??? days ... am curious what the Explorer's lounge will look like ... is often one of my favourite places to hang out.

I am LOVING the new showers .... can't wait :D

This thread has made me even more excited!!!

Just one question about the bathrooms. Is there still a retractable clothesline there?

It's looking like we're going to be doing the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Hong Kong on 28th September. Very excited at the thought of being on the Volendam again (it's been three years and has been our favourite of the smaller ships). Also excited to see Alaska again which was our first HAL cruise.

Ozcruizer