Volendam to Alaska - after the Drydock!

Vict0riann

Is the dip down enough to catch the water from flooding the bathroom floor? We always get super slow draining the on cruises, that is the only negative I can foresee.

You know interestingly enough the first two mornings when I took a shower I commented to DH that the drain was slow but then after that there was never a problem :D So the dip must be enough ;)

I actually like the new ladies' restroom, although I could not see myself using the sofa. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have used the old vanity tables either, but each to their own. ;)

In general I like the refurbishing of the Volendam which is one of my favourite ships. Does anyone know whether anything is being done to replace the vinyl-type flooring in one of the areas? That was not an improvement.

Ozcruizer (3-1/2 months to our next cruise)

In case you don't get to the other site, yes, there are two grab bars. I was a bit suspicious, as they match the towel bars, but I tested them and they seem very secure. Also, the tile floor is rough and slatey, but I always used the rubber safety mat.

P1000985_zpsgh2hvqsf.jpg

Thank you -- these old eyes don't always catch everything.

I'm with you - I prefer the old one! Looks like they made a private sitting room out of the ladies washroom. I can't imagine wanting to hang around there.

I actually like the new ladies' restroom, although I could not see myself using the sofa. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have used the old vanity tables either, but each to their own. ;)

In general I like the refurbishing of the Volendam which is one of my favourite ships. Does anyone know whether anything is being done to replace the vinyl-type flooring in one of the areas? That was not an improvement.

Ozcruizer (3-1/2 months to our next cruise)

I could never see myself sitting on a couch in the ladies room.

Back in the day (and I am talking way back) they used to have lounge areas in ladies rooms in department stores. I always saw kids waiting for moms, moms waiting for kids on them as everyone used the facilities. I also saw tired shoppers taking a rest before going on. Some newer restaurants are also providing these little sitting areas. Not sure why. Perhaps the cruise ships and restaurants are doing it for a touch of nostalgic luxury. Still, it seems unnecessary on a cruise ship...

We really liked the changes to the bathroom. The only problem with the new showers was that they now store the rubber mat and the bathmat under the sink, whereas before they had hung over the edge of the bathtub. It takes away a little storage space beneath the sink.

Before:

P1040612_zpscawryuo1.jpg

And after:

P1010004_zpsn4rpag5c.jpg

Looks great

I was told on my April/Mat cruise, by someone in a position to know, that the abomination done to the Explorers Lounge was to be "fixed" (the word used) in June.

I still hope that was correct, and would love to see pics of it.

I'll be on the Volendam in August/September and will report back if nobody else has done so before then.

Thanks SO much for these photos. Can't wait to see more. And even more than that, can't wait to see for myself!

Sorry, I seem to be having computer problems today! I downloaded a new Flash Player yesterday afternoon, and now I don't seem to be able to download photos from Photobucket, and I can't even get on Tapatalk (or Cruise Critic) on my iPad. Going to have to sort myself out! In the meantime, to make myself feel better, I'm going to have a trip to the garden store!

Eagles, hope you have a wonderful trip to Alaska. We enjoyed meeting our Dutch Captain Baijens on the Volendam this time, but as far as I know he didn't put on an Australian party, as Captain Russell-Dunford did last year!:)

Well, finally that worked.... Now if I can figure out the photo thing! I'll try to do more later.

Edited by Vict0riann

I'm not as opposed to this venue as many seem to be, although I would really need to find myself in those chairs to know what my thoughts truly are... The color scheme doesn't bother me... not does the fact the floor isn't carpet. I've been on a huge variety of ships and HAL has always seemed terrified to have any surface uncarpeted. It's not necessary. You can have beautiful floors without carpet (and given some of the carpets HAL has used over the years it's not hard to do)... but the room looks unfinished for sure.

Given the chair configuration they were no doubt going for something that could be more versatile depending on what they were doing in there as there aren't massive set couches and only one thing the room is ever capable of.

Of course none of this matters as it is allegedly being changed next month...

I would say it's not bad. Not awful. But also not amazing. Nice to see they're thinking outside the box for decor around the ship... it just needs to be fine tuned and thought out a bit more

Edited by InTheWASide

The dining room seemed not to have changed, except for the carpeting, which didn't match the chair upholstery. Maybe that will change in the future.

Old MDR:

9cc96934687d49fbda92805c9a55802d.jpg

New carpeting:

91c77ae650002eaa51e01888c31a56cb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not as opposed to this venue as many seem to be, although I would really need to find myself in those chairs to know what my thoughts truly are... The color scheme doesn't bother me... not does the fact the floor isn't carpet. I've been on a huge variety of ships and HAL has always seemed terrified to have any surface uncarpeted. It's not necessary. You can have beautiful floors without carpet (and given some of the carpets HAL has used over the years it's not hard to do)... but the room looks unfinished for sure.

Given the chair configuration they were no doubt going for something that could be more versatile depending on what they were doing in there as there aren't massive set couches and only one thing the room is ever capable of.

Of course none of this matters as it is allegedly being changed next month...

I would say it's not bad. Not awful. But also not amazing. Nice to see they're thinking outside the box for decor around the ship... it just needs to be fine tuned and thought out a bit more

Normally, I love dark wood floors, but this room always seemed cold and unwelcoming. We brought our coffees in one day (Glacier Bay, I think it was), and all we wanted to do was drink them and leave.

Red & white leatherette side chairs mix in with easy chairs in four shades of gold/tan/brown could never be termed "décor". It's just ugly.

You're right: it's not "bad"; it's not "awful". It's so far beyond "bad" and "awful" that it isn't even on the same planet.

I'll be on the Volendam in August/September and will report back if nobody else has done so before then.

Thank you!

For some reason I won't believe this is going to be fixed until I know it's been done. It will take a long time, and a lot of pictures, to get the vision of what it is now out of my head.

I have a few photos of the Mix area on my iPad, so I'll. post them now, as it seems to be working. The area is very like the Mix on Maasdam, even the same pictures on the

wall. 7e8be93ba381250a3cc14f7dc8cbd456.jpgc33826419ae6eb3cb4cbcae7f784e110.jpg

images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/25/a63b4d23c60bd9f8b49df1ba98e0af7b.jpg[/img]

I think the chairs in the Mix on the Volendam are more comfortable than in the same venue on the other ships (including Maasdam), though. They have more support, and don't feel as low trying to get up from them.

Sorry, I seem to be having computer problems today! I downloaded a new Flash Player yesterday afternoon, and now I don't seem to be able to download photos from Photobucket, and I can't even get on Tapatalk (or Cruise Critic) on my iPad. Going to have to sort myself out! In the meantime, to make myself feel better, I'm going to have a trip to the garden store!

Eagles, hope you have a wonderful trip to Alaska. We enjoyed meeting our Dutch Captain Baijens on the Volendam this time, but as far as I know he didn't put on an Australian party, as Captain Russell-Dunford did last year!:)

Well, finally that worked.... Now if I can figure out the photo thing! I'll try to do more later.

Darned technology! It never co-operates me me, either. Thank you for doing this - I love the new shower, by the way.

Darned technology! It never co-operates me me, either. Thank you for doing this - I love the new shower, by the way.

Thanks for the sympathy, Lizzie. It is frustrating, and sometimes I wish I could just go back to my old typewriter :eek:, but the computer has been a great way to chat with people I wouldn't otherwise meet!:)

I should mention that the parking at Canada Place (Davinci Parking) went very well, except that the office is at the exit - not the entrance, so it wasn't easy to figure out how to get our prepaid ticket organized!

Edited by Vict0riann

I'm back! I took my computer and my iPad in to the shop this morning, and hopefully, I'm all sorted now. This is a test!

A photo of one of the new little chairs in the Explorers Lounge. They reach out and hug

you!1005fb29eb8965e95d4d539fefdbdbdf.jpg