magnetic hooks and shower curtain

silly2003

So one of the suggestions was to bring magnetic hooks and a shower curtain. I have bought the stuff, but haven't decided if we really need it. We are 2 adults and an 8 year old on a Princess cruise to AK. Can anyone confirm this is a great thing to have or should I put it in the pile of things to return when I get back?

I'm already bringing an over the door shoe holder and a power strip to charge camera batteries, ipads etc.

So one of the suggestions was to bring magnetic hooks and a shower curtain. I have bought the stuff, but haven't decided if we really need it. We are 2 adults and an 8 year old on a Princess cruise to AK. Can anyone confirm this is a great thing to have or should I put it in the pile of things to return when I get back?

I'm already bringing an over the door shoe holder and a power strip to charge camera batteries, ipads etc.

I have never been on a cruise where I needed to bring a shower curtain (or an over-the -door shoe holder), and I have sailed on most lines. On the other hand, I do bring magnetic hooks. I am tall so I use them to hang long dresses. I put one by the door to hang our lanyards with our sea pass...it is the last thing I see before I leave the room so have never left the cards behind. In Alaska we brought our own binoculars, so put one by the balcony door for binoculars and another for the camera so that I could easily grab either one when something outside was interesting. I have also used the hooks for coats, hats, beach bag, and important papers. I like to keep the cabin organized, and they do the job. Depending on the length of the cruise and the cruise line I bring between 4-8 hooks. Make sure they are heavy duty and will stay on the walls. I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Addahook-Heavy-Double-Locking-Suction/dp/B000VKMMP0/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435259805&sr=1-3&keywords=heavy+duty+wall+suction+hooks

Power strip is a must and don't forget the chargers and extra batteries.

As long as you have enough money, you will not be far from a store, so go with the flow and have a great time.

What type of cabin and which ship? Assuming the shower curtain is for privacy? If you're in a balcony or lower the only place to hang a privacy curtain would be in the hallway for the bathroom/closet. If it's to separate sleeping area don't see where you'd put it.

Edited by SadieN

Princess certainly provides shower curtains so bringing one is not necessary. I can see the wisdom of some magnetic hooks but we have never brought any. Over the door shoes shoe holder....we have never taken on but I have read of people bringing them and useing them for other things than shoes. Power bar is a good thing to bring along. On an Alaskan cruise some people bring along a couple of clothes pins to help keep the curtains closed...this may be important with an 8 year old and the long hours of sunlight in Alaska. We have also found a nightlight for the bathroom is a handy to thing to bring along.

Thanks for the replies, the shower curtain was supposed to give privacy when hung in the middle of the room to separate parents and child. We have an inside cabin, so I'm not worried about keeping it dark. I'm not even sure we need the shower curtain because my kid can sleep thru anything. I guess it is only nice so that I don't have to change in the bathroom.

The higher occupancy inside cabins on Princess have two twins (joined to make a large bed) and an upper. The lower beds cannot be joined in some cabins because of the ladder.

Return all of it except the power strip. You will find that it is not needed.

Thanks for the replies, the shower curtain was supposed to give privacy when hung in the middle of the room to separate parents and child. We have an inside cabin, so I'm not worried about keeping it dark. I'm not even sure we need the shower curtain because my kid can sleep thru anything. I guess it is only nice so that I don't have to change in the bathroom.

Why not just bring these things with you...you can then decide if there needed or not...then return them if you don't open them. I think the hooks/shower curtain idea and pictures I saw of this creative option great.

I wouldn't bring any of that unless you have tons of extra space in your luggage.

We bring a 3-outlet extension plus a European adapter for electronics.

Since you are in an inside room the room set up may be such that your child is in a bunk above your bed anyway. The curtain is useless in that case.

Never found a need for a shoe organizer. They take up a ton of space and the cabins have enough space for 3.

I think magnets are a great idea. I never thought of the magnetic hooks - even better! We use a regular magnet to keep track of invitations and things. Otherwise we end up with a stack of paper and forget to attend the events we're invited to.

Edited by lisiamc

If you spend too much time on CC, you will pack an extra suitcase of things people insist you need. Our family of 4 just cruised in one cabin without any extras and were fine. We had no need for a hanging shoe organizer or dividing curtain.

Why not just bring these things with you...you can then decide if there needed or not...then return them if you don't open them. I think the hooks/shower curtain idea and pictures I saw of this creative option great.

I'm guessing since it's Alaska, they are flying and luggage space is tight.

The higher occupancy inside cabins on Princess have two twins (joined to make a large bed) and an upper. The lower beds cannot be joined in some cabins because of the ladder.

Thank you for this SadieN. I think this explains why we can't change from twin beds to joined beds, I just couldn't figure it out online.

I am roaring at this thread. Having spend far more then 3 years as cruise passengers on dozens of different ships (including many Princess cruises) we have never even thought about taking things like sheets, pillows, shower curtains (some ships do not even use shower curtains), our own food, our own water, our own beds, bedspreads, etc. On the other hand, we know some weird folks who will take their own sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. whenever they leave their home.

But getting back to the OP, you do not need to bring any of those type items. In fact, you might be shocked to find out that cruise ships even provide towels, air (to breathe), food, etc.

Hank

I think magnets are a great idea. I never thought of the magnetic hooks - even better! We use a regular magnet to keep track of invitations and things. Otherwise we end up with a stack of paper and forget to attend the events we're invited to.

Don't get your hopes up too high. Magnets do not stick on all cruise ship walls/doors. Some yes; some no.

I am roaring at this thread. Having spend far more then 3 years as cruise passengers on dozens of different ships (including many Princess cruises) we have never even thought about taking things like sheets, pillows, shower curtains (some ships do not even use shower curtains), our own food, our own water, our own beds, bedspreads, etc. On the other hand, we know some weird folks who will take their own sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. whenever they leave their home.

But getting back to the OP, you do not need to bring any of those type items. In fact, you might be shocked to find out that cruise ships even provide towels, air (to breathe), food, etc.

Hank

Sorry Hank.....but if some young families were cruising with a toddler that's going to sleep in a pack-n-play the shower curtain idea is a great way to partition off that area between your bed and the pnp. Some of us have forgotten how creative young parents need to be ;)

Sorry Hank.....but if some young families were cruising with a toddler that's going to sleep in a pack-n-play the shower curtain idea is a great way to partition off that area between your bed and the pnp. Some of us have forgotten how creative young parents need to be ;)

Touche! On the other hand, the thought of cruising with a toddler was enough for us to leave ours with the grandparents.

Hank

Don't get your hopes up too high. Magnets do not stick on all cruise ship walls/doors. Some yes; some no.

I think we've been lucky on the handful of cruises where we've brought a fridge magnet along. At least it's small and easy to put back in the suitcase if we find a cabin that isn't magnet-friendly one day. :)

I tried magnets several times in my cabin on HAL ships and never got lucky..... at least not in the locations where I wished to hang the magnet. I'll be sailing a different cruise line soon and plan to try there and see if it works. :)