Royal: How much $$ for Sanctuary all week?

Janie1229

My husband and I are booked on the 10-day Eastern Caribbean on Royal this October. We're currently in a balcony, but someone on this forum said they stayed in an inside cabin and booked the Sanctuary all week, which sounds like a great idea.

Does anyone know how much it is to book the Sanctuary all week per person, and can you do that pre-cruise or need to book once on ship? Thanks!

The charge for the week is $30 per person per day, so $420 total for two people for a week. It can not be booked in advance. Upon boarding head to the Sanctuary and the manager will show you which loungers are available for the week. There are some under the canopy, and others in partial or full sun.

My husband and I are booked on the 10-day Eastern Caribbean on Royal this October. We're currently in a balcony, but someone on this forum said they stayed in an inside cabin and booked the Sanctuary all week, which sounds like a great idea.

Does anyone know how much it is to book the Sanctuary all week per person, and can you do that pre-cruise or need to book once on ship? Thanks!

The charge for the week is $30 per person per day, so $420 total for two people for a week. It can not be booked in advance. Upon boarding head to the Sanctuary and the manager will show you which loungers are available for the week. There are some under the canopy, and others in partial or full sun.

The $420 total for 2 people is for a week-long cruise; the OP's cruise is 10 days so it will be $600 for 2. If you only wanted the Sanctuary for part of the 10 days you would need to pay the daily fee ($40 per person) and reserve it each day as needed.

Edited by capriccio

Why folks sleep in bed all night then want to lie down all day for an additional $40 per day,because if you only use it for a few hours in the day that's expensive ?:confused: For a couple who have an inside cabin it might work out cheaper to have a balcony.

Am I correcting in believing that Owner's Suites have use of the Sanctuary as a perk?

No they don't - and I know that first hand since I have cruised in an Owner's Suite on the Royal Princess.

No they don't - and I know that first hand since I have cruised in an Owner's Suite on the Royal Princess.

Have the most gorgeous big balconies so private.I visited friends on board in one of those suites they had these wonderful views over 'The Wake' sheer luxury:)

Edited by kruisey

Kruisey - It's all relative. We spent $400 for a few hours in a cabana on Disney's private island. For only $20 more we had two great loungers in Regal's Sanctuary for a whole week. As long as the per hour cost is less than what we earn, and we get good value for money, I don't perceive it as being expensive.

I really enjoy being lazy and reading my book and watching the ocean for a few hours each day while cruising.

A cold, dark inside cabin is truly wonderful for sleep!

Edited by HUNKY

Have the most gorgeous big balconies so private.I visited friends on board in one of those suites they had these wonderful views over 'The Wake' sheer luxury:)

In December 2013 our owners suite balcony on the Royal Princess wasn't useable for most of the cruise due to soot so in hindsight it would have been smarter (and cheaper) to get a mini-suite and pay for the Sanctuary which is what we may do on our 20 cruise on the Royal this October. We have an extended balcony on the upcoming cruise so I need to physically check it out before deciding to spring for the Sanctuary.

The $420 total for 2 people is for a week-long cruise; the OP's cruise is 10 days so it will be $600 for 2. If you only wanted the Sanctuary for part of the 10 days you would need to pay the daily fee ($40 per person) and reserve it each day as needed.

Thanks everyone, this forum is a great resource of information. I think what we'll do is go to the Sanctuary upon boarding and see about reserving a cabana for the 3 sea days on the cruise. The rest of the trip we will be in port and off the ship most of the day :-)

Edited by Janie1229

Thanks everyone, this forum is a great resource of information. I think what we'll do is go to the Sanctuary upon boarding and see about reserving a cabana for the 3 sea days on the cruise. The rest of the trip we will be in port and off the ship most of the day :-)

You can't do that! For the days you want to book it, you'll have to get up very early each day, go to the Sanctuary and book it for that day, if they have any seats available.

You can't do that! For the days you want to book it, you'll have to get up very early each day, go to the Sanctuary and book it for that day, if they have any seats available.

Okay, Working 2 Cruise. Sounded different from the other posts. It's fine with me either way. We have a nice balcony, so it's not a big deal.

Why folks sleep in bed all night then want to lie down all day for an additional $40 per day,because if you only use it for a few hours in the day that's expensive ?:confused: For a couple who have an inside cabin it might work out cheaper to have a balcony.
Yup. That describes me. :) I find the balcony furniture so uncomfortable that I no longer book them. Instead, I book the cheapest obstructed view cabin I can find. For me, the Sanctuary is my "balcony." :) I love relaxing and reading although I get up and walk the length of the ship several times during the day. I often have enough OBC so that it's not a huge expense, even on a longer cruise. I don't drink that much and don't spend my OBC on much.

As for the cost of the Sanctuary, I've found that booking options change by ship. I think $20/half-day, $40/day and $30/day if you book the entire cruise is the usual and you can't book a specific day or let's say, only sea days, on embarkation day. However, that was the case on the Grand in February/March. I was able to book "my lounger" for the entire cruise but I was charged only for the day or half-day that I actually used it. If I arrived at 1pm, I was charged only $20. If I was in port for the day, I wasn't charged. I suspect this was implemented because it was definitely not a warm weather cruise even though it was R/T to/from Hawaii. Almost no one booked the Sanctuary. There were maybe 7-8 regulars and a few people who booked for the day.

Oh I hate seeing Sanctuary posts on page 1 (and now I am perpetuating it .. HA HA). So, we have been charged for 7 days when booking full week. However, on our last cruise, our first 10-day, we were only charged for 9 - not 10. So that's a small savings. In effect, the first afternoon was free. Not a huge savings, but something. We happened to be on the last cruise at the old prices, so lucky us. This fall, it's going to whack the wallet for sure.

Considerably!

On our upcoming Dawn cruise we have booked an inside cabin and plan on booking The Santuary for the whole cruise. The cost of the inside cabin plus The Sanctuary for both of us was about $4000 cheaper than a balcony cabin, and The Sanctuary loungers are far more comfortable than the balcony chairs. :)

Yup. That describes me. :) I find the balcony furniture so uncomfortable that I no longer book them. Instead, I book the cheapest obstructed view cabin I can find. For me, the Sanctuary is my "balcony." :) I love relaxing and reading although I get up and walk the length of the ship several times during the day. I often have enough OBC so that it's not a huge expense, even on a longer cruise. I don't drink that much and don't spend my OBC on much.

As for the cost of the Sanctuary, I've found that booking options change by ship. I think $20/half-day, $40/day and $30/day if you book the entire cruise is the usual and you can't book a specific day or let's say, only sea days, on embarkation day. However, that was the case on the Grand in February/March. I was able to book "my lounger" for the entire cruise but I was charged only for the day or half-day that I actually used it. If I arrived at 1pm, I was charged only $20. If I was in port for the day, I wasn't charged. I suspect this was implemented because it was definitely not a warm weather cruise even though it was R/T to/from Hawaii. Almost no one booked the Sanctuary. There were maybe 7-8 regulars and a few people who booked for the day.

Pam, I think you have a great idea with the cheaper cabin and booking Sanctuary. We've only been on 3 cruises (all Princess) and this will be our fourth. We are devoted scuba divers, so the majority of our vacations tend to be dedicated dive trips, but my husband and I love these cruises too (my husband almost more than me)! Ironically, I don't typically like being in a big group of people, but so far it's worked out just fine. We've booked itineraries with minimal sea days, get off the boat as soon as we can, go diving (or other adventure) for the day. One thing I've discovered I like to do is hang out around the Piazza on sea days for a couple of hours and just people watch while reading a book.

Our first cruise was an inside cabin - loved it and slept beautifully. Then we wanted to try a balcony. On Caribe deck. Fantastic! Our third cruise, we had a mini-suite. LOVED THAT! I just liked the bigger bathroom :D I also like the balcony for putting out our dive gear to dry :rolleyes:

So here we are on our 4th cruise, and on a balcony. Truly, it is not a big deal to me, as the port days we are always off the ship the entire time, so it is only sea days that we will be on board during the day. I will go to the Sanctuary first thing when we board and inquire.

Edited by Janie1229

Sorry but I only lounge for a couple of hours which I usually do for free on Promenade deck in afternoon.I always have to be budget conscious and have always found quiet areas on the ship to lounge and look at the sea,read or fiddle with smartphone. No The Sanctuary would be an extravagant waste of money to me personally. I am pleased that others don't think so,it keeps Princess Stockholders happy;)