West Palm Beach Airport

We have a cruise booked in January on the Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale. Airfare is much less flying into West Palm Beach. Has anyone flown into this airport and used the train system to get to the Ft Lauderdale airport? Cost per person is only $5.00 each. We are planning on flying in a day early and not leaving until 3:00 pm the day the cruise ended. Would love to get some opinions on this airport. Thanks in advance!

We have a cruise booked in January on the Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale. Airfare is much less flying into West Palm Beach. Has anyone flown into this airport and used the train system to get to the Ft Lauderdale airport? Cost per person is only $5.00 each. We are planning on flying in a day early and not leaving until 3:00 pm the day the cruise ended. Would love to get some opinions on this airport. Thanks in advance!

I have never taken the train but I have flown to West Palm many times. I love that airport. It's a lot less crowded than Miami & Fort Lauderdale.

I live near WPB- the "train" you are talking about (I think) is the Tri-rail a commuter small train- I believe you would have to take a bus to get to the train. West Palm airport is about 45 minutes north of FLL depending on traffic. If you are arriving Friday afternoon traffic is pretty bad going South. I would highly suggest taking a taxi or even arranging a private car/limo from the airport - it would be more $$ but much less hassle.

The Tri-Rail trains run fast and usually pretty efficiently. Nice to sit and pass the traffic on 95. But, the neither WPB or Fort Lauderdale stops are at the airport and you for both you'll need another step of transport to and from the Tri-Rail station. I've done the Tri Rail to Fort Lauderdale and then shuttle to Fort Lauderdale Airport many times no issue. Just make sure you've got the proper connections and times worked out.

West Palm is a nice, easy airport to deal with. If the savings are very good it is worth the transportation hassle to the port IMO.

I use Tri Rail each time we go from West Palm to the port. We don't want to mess with I-95 or paying parking fees at the port. Tri Rail runs every hour north and south. The fee on weekends is $5 each way. It is relatively reliable and an easy hour ride down.

I believe there is a bus that runs from the WP airport to the Tri Rail Station. If not there are taxis and it's about a 15 minute trip.

You would get off at the Ft. Lauderdale/Griffen Road Airport station (not the Broward Blvd station). A taxi ride from there to the port is about $20. There are hotels within walking distance to the Airport Tri Rail Station.

If you want any more info, post your questions.

• 3 months later...

Look into a 1 day car rental. Most agencies have no drop off fee, and you can drop at or near the port and there will be a shuttle to the port for you. Depending on size, it'd give you use of a car for the night. Same with the drive back. You'll be off the ship early enough that a car for a few hours might be nice.

I have done this many times.

Look into a 1 day car rental. Most agencies have no drop off fee, and you can drop at or near the port and there will be a shuttle to the port for you. Depending on size, it'd give you use of a car for the night. Same with the drive back. You'll be off the ship early enough that a car for a few hours might be nice.

I have done this many times.

This is what we do almost every time. PBI airport is awesome. Nice size and very efficient at getting you to your boarding area quickly. Prices from PBI are often much better than FLL too. We often rent a car for $35 - $50 and make the drive to the airport. If we have time to kill, we can use the car and do some shopping, go to the beach, one year we took the kids to the Playmobile museum in West Palm Beach for the afternoon. Driving down to Lauderdale, you will have a vehicle to do some shopping, pick up your wine for the cruise, etc.

We have thought about taking the train before but have always decided not too since we thought it sounded like a hassle with luggage and 4 children with us. By the time you factor in a $20 cab ride from the station to your hotel or the pier in Lauderdale, the price over a car rental does not appear to be that much more.

I'll have to let you know I am flying into WPB for my cruise in November and I am doing a 1 day car rental to get from there to Ft. Lauderdale. I figured it was easier than the train and cheaper than a car service. And as someone else pointed out you have a car to do any shopping or touring you want to do since you are arriving a day early. then you can turn it in at the Ft Lauderdale airport and shuttle to your hotel.