No Nickelodeon stuff on Escape

LrgPizza

Other than the personal fact that I think it kills brain cells while watching it, it just isn't very logical for ships. There are no mascots, just a bunch of roided up wrestlers who certainly aren't going to make the rounds on cruise ships.

I've heard people say the same thing about spongebob

I certainly hope it ISN'T WWE.

Violence (simulated or otherwise) + UBP + a confined area like a ship over the course of a week.....what could possibly go wrong. :p

Wouldn't it be easier for NCL to create their own line of characters?

Possibly but they gotta find something that caters to all the age groups of kids.

Including those in their early thirties.

What need was there to throw out an insult? I'm speaking on purely the kids clubs Which if I'm correct and goes up into 17 right? So they need to find something that caters to all age groups

I've heard people say the same thing about spongebob

Not judging the franchises on their merit and popularity here, at least I'm not. WWE IP makes very little sense from the theming and programming perspective. That sounds more for one of those once-a-year specialty cruises than for a year around theming. Much like it wouldn't make sense for any cruise line to have a Rock from the 60's year round or MTG or table-top games cruise theme all year even though those are wildly popular as well. For that type of static theme and entertainment, you need a family-friendly cartoon or movie-based IP.

not judging the franchises on their merit and popularity here, at least i'm not. Wwe ip makes very little sense from the theming and programming perspective. That sounds more for one of those once-a-year specialty cruises than for a year around theming. Much like it wouldn't make sense for any cruise line to have a rock from the 60's year round or mtg or table-top games cruise theme all year even though those are wildly popular as well. For that type of static theme and entertainment, you need a family-friendly cartoon or movie-based ip.

ip = ?

I wonder if they will even have an IP? Or if they will just "create" something of their own for their cruiseline. Yes, I agree a large percentage of people perhaps base a lot of their cruises on the various IPs out there, but a larger percentage I doubt even factor that into their decision which line to cruise.

Besides the extra cost of licensing fees to use an IP, which I am sure DelRio or whatever his name is would be opposed to, remember he also wanted a more affluent customer base. I am not sure cartoon or TV characters would fall into the "more affluent" customer base he seems to be going after.

Edited by LadySpoilt

I wonder if they will even have an IP? Or if they will just "create" something of their own for their cruiseline. Yes, I agree a large percentage of people perhaps base a lot of their cruises on the various IPs out there, but a larger percentage I doubt even factor that into their decision which line to cruise.

Besides the extra cost of licensing fees to use an IP, which I am sure DelRio or whatever his name is would be opposed to, remember he also wanted a more affluent customer base. I am not sure cartoon or TV characters would fall into the "more affluent" customer base he seems to be going after.

A bit off topic, but yes I remember that statement from Del Rio. I find it rather odd, given NCL's success as mid-range, family-friendly cruise line. And even more odd given NCL already owns an upscale cruise line brand. He sounds like a CEO that has good intentions, but seems a bit impulsive in his decisions, statements and execution.

Back on topic: creating your own IP is always an option, but it's also expensive and a lot of risk it won't be well received. It's one of those things that's "better to rent than it is to own", specially for a non-content creator like cruise lines are.

Carnival had "Funship Freddie", and that didn't go over so well with the kids. These characters do get kids excited. DCL has a ship full of them and they manage to sell out ships charging double what NCL does. NCL owns other lines that cater to the "affluent" cruiser. If they want to do away with kids and families for a more affluent crowd, then they are going to have some huge new ships with a lot of empty cabins. The affluent people I know aren't so excited about getting on a ship with 5,000 people, but they'll grin and bear a week in the Haven if their kids get to see some of their favorite cartoon characters.

A bit off topic, but yes I remember that statement from Del Rio. I find it rather odd, given NCL's success as mid-range, family-friendly cruise line. And even more odd given NCL already owns an upscale cruise line brand. He sounds like a CEO that has good intentions, but seems a bit impulsive in his decisions, statements and execution.

Back on topic: creating your own IP is always an option, but it's also expensive and a lot of risk it won't be well received. It's one of those things that's "better to rent than it is to own", specially for a non-content creator like cruise lines are.

You are right about the IP, I meant to say new theme.

Carnival's Camp Ocean and previous Camp Carnival are quite successful independent branded kids clubs. I know they have Suess at Sea tie in with Dr. Suess, but that is really not a direct part of the club and is an extra IP add on and not the total sum of the kids area.

Personally being a mom if a cruise line backed WWE or anything like that, we would not cruise with them. I think the fact that NCL is trying to cater more to families that have kids having a theme is a definite selling point, I know there are plenty of cruisers that it doesn't matter to but for us cruisers with little kids what is offered for the kids matters. So I hope they come up with something good, only time will tell.

Edited by andriamay

Just wondering. With all the bells and whistles on the new ships, does a cruise line really need to have an affiliation with a company to provide fun for the children. Isn't there enough to do, especially on the newer ships for children?

Personally being a mom if a cruise line backed WWE or anything like that, we would not cruise with them. I think the fact that NCL is trying to cater more to families that have kids having a theme is a definite selling point, I know there are plenty of cruisers that it doesn't matter to but for us cruisers with little kids what is offered for the kids matters. So I hope they come up with something good, only time will tell.

I would say they cater to young adults just as much as kids, after all the sky now has permanently unlimited alcohol. One of my favorite Cruise stories is I was talking to a cabana boy on my first cruise and I said to him wow all the food one person could eat that's awesome how do you people make your money he looked at me and nodded towards the bar

Just wondering. With all the bells and whistles on the new ships, does a cruise line really need to have an affiliation with a company to provide fun for the children. Isn't there enough to do, especially on the newer ships for children?

This!

I have six kids - 2, 5, 9, 11, 13, 15. We are NOT a Nickelodeon family. (I find much of their product <shudder> a bit creepy.) I didn't hesitate to book the cruise even though I expected them on the ship. We're there for the ocean, the ports, the dining, the slides... Not the characters.

I'm hopeful they come up with something fun. But even if they don't - we're still going. [emoji173]

I would say they cater to young adults just as much as kids, after all the sky now has permanently unlimited alcohol. One of my favorite Cruise stories is I was talking to a cabana boy on my first cruise and I said to him wow all the food one person could eat that's awesome how do you people make your money he looked at me and nodded towards the bar

Yes the entertainment is def more for adults, which is why I'd like something fun for the little ones. This will however be their first cruise so I know they'll have a blast :)

[quote name=Vacationdreamer

I feel the same way! We're not big nick fans' date=' the water slides and splash area look great for kids and adults! I would however book a DCL if it wasn't 3x the price.[/quote]

We did DCL last year and still talk about it every day. Hope to do again in 2017. (NCL 2016). I like that NCL has a lot to DO. I feel like DCL has a lot to see. (Shows, characters, movies.)