No Nickelodeon stuff on Escape

LrgPizza

(Copied from another page - sent to travel agents):

Nickelodeon Experiences will not appear on Norwegian Escape

As a cruise industry leader in world-class entertainment, Norwegian Cruise Line offers unforgettable onboard experiences for our guests, including exciting age-appropriate activities for children, teens and families. Since Norwegian redesigned our complimentary youth programs in 2012, we've seen a +20% improvement in overall guest satisfaction with Splash Academy for kids and Entourage for teens, with parents calling the program "outstanding" and saying "my kids loved it so much they didn't want to leave!" We're thrilled to hear this, as that means your clients are happy - and their children are even happier. We're proud to say there's something for everyone around every corner of our ships, from circus school and scavenger hunts to themed events and parties.

We are always looking at new ways to further enhance the onboard experience and bring new ideas to our guests. After several successful years, Norwegian's agreement with Nickelodeon to provide premier Nick-themed entertainment aboard select ships concludes at the end of 2015, and so these experiences will not appear on Norwegian Escape, on Norwegian Epic as of October 2015 and on the remaining four ships beginning in January 2016.

As we continue making significant investments to further elevate our family programming and entertainment, such as our new Guppies Nursery and expanded sports deck on Norwegian Escape, our family offerings will continue getting even better.

We look forward to having your clients on board to experience a family vacation they'll never forget with Norwegian.

Sincerely,

Andy Stuart

President & Chief Operating Officer

They could try to do a deal with Turner (Cartoon Network, Hanna Barbera, etc.). They could go a completely different route and make a deal with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and do a video game themed thing. Don't know how they would be able to fit that into add-ons like the "Pajama Jam."

They really need to find an established partner, because making these things generic is going to be lame. The "circus" stuff is a flop with most kids. They should really retool that one.

They could try to do a deal with Turner (Cartoon Network, Hanna Barbera, etc.). They could go a completely different route and make a deal with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and do a video game themed thing. Don't know how they would be able to fit that into add-ons like the "Pajama Jam."

They really need to find an established partner, because making these things generic is going to be lame. The "circus" stuff is a flop with most kids. They should really retool that one.

I agree. My kids are sick of the circus after 5 cruises.

My kids thought splash academy was ok but they LOVED the Nick at Sea activities. I agree- the generic stuff gets boring to them. We sail 1/10/16 so *right after* they do away with N.A.S on the getaway. The 2 reasons our kids (4,4 and 6) begged to go on the same ship was cookies from room service (now there's a fee) and to see the Nick characters again (now they'll be gone). Not that any of that is cancel-worthy but I'm really bummed and dread telling them.

I got an email today from NCL that gave me a little scare, since the subject line said it was about our reservation on the Gem in 2016. I thought they were going to tell me the ship had been chartered out! :eek:

But it was only to say no more Nickelodeon on the Gem after 2015. Whew. I wish the subject line had just said "No More Nick."

Funny thing about the circus... On our Getaway cruise, the Nickelodeon slime game show thing was held poolside at exactly the same time as the final rehearsal for the circus was being held in Splash Academy. There were about 6 total kids present for the Nick game show.

Thanks for the info. This was rumored here on CC a while back. I wonder if they will retheme the family pool areas that have the Nick theme? Also wonder if there is another relationship in the works. Carnival has Seuss at Sea and RCI has the DreamWorks experience, and Disney, of course, has Disney.

ETA: Ending dates for Nick onboard events listed here: http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/nickelodeon

Edited by Mistizoom

Now I just received my email about it, too. Personally, my son was a bit too old for this stuff, but to be honest, I doubt if he would have even noticed, because the theming was so minimal anyway.

We are booked on the Getaway in Feb 2016 and with a 5 and a 3 year old this is kind of an issue with me not sure completely how I feel but right now I'm a little perturbed that they don't have a follow through plan to replace it with...

WHAT, I can't play mini golf with the TMNT?[emoji217][emoji217][emoji217][emoji217]

My son was very much looking forward to the Turtle mini-golf as he's all about them these days. If you look at the mini-golf they've already removed them from the escape website and it looks very generic at the moment. Hopefully they update them with something else that will be exciting to kids.

I wonder what they are going to do with the pool on ships like the Breakaway that have Spongebob characters built into it.

They'll paint them all one color and just call them "Sponge".

They've already updated the website for Escape's mini golf. They're calling it "Escape Rooftop Mini Golf" and it looks very basic. :rolleyes: Will be interesting to see if they replace the theme with something else.

They could go a completely different route and make a deal with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and do a video game themed thing.

I think this would be an excellent idea! Everyone in our family, including all of our grandchildren (except the 1 yr. old) loves video games. While I think she's too young for it, I'm amazed when I see how well our 2 yr. old can play her Sophia the 1st game on her mom's phone, and the older boys have really gotten into Mindcraft.

I'm curious as to what they're going to replace the TMNT mini golf course with on the Escape.

They've already updated the website for Escape's mini golf. They're calling it "Escape Rooftop Mini Golf" and it looks very basic. :rolleyes: Will be interesting to see if they replace the theme with something else.

Lol, wish I'd seen this before I posted, thanks!

...The "circus" stuff is a flop with most kids. They should really retool that one.

My daughter's loved the circus, even though we did it two years in a row. I do agree though that the Nick stuff seemed to be minimal. Wonder what they will do about the channel that seemed devoted to Nick.

I got an email today from NCL that gave me a little scare, since the subject line said it was about our reservation on the Gem in 2016. I thought they were going to tell me the ship had been chartered out! :eek:

But it was only to say no more Nickelodeon on the Gem after 2015. Whew. I wish the subject line had just said "No More Nick."

I KNOW - I saw the subject line and my heart sunk!

We are not Nick people at all. We just did a cross country road trip and stopped at the Mall of America. The entire amusement park mid-mall is done as Nickelodeon theming. My kids had only a cursory idea of who the characters were.

I'd just as soon have no tie-in. Tie-ins always seem so forced to me. Can golf just be golf? Can't swimming just be swimming? :confused:

I am surprised they don't have something else lined up to announce as a replacement. Possible they are going to see if people care very much. It would have to save them a bundle to be tie-in-less...