Upsell Question??

KruzPrincess

I was discussing upsells on another thread and was completely sure I would never get an offer. Well, surprise, they made me an upsell offer today. I'm sailing in a little less than 4 weeks on an Alaska cruise. I knew the ship hadn't sold well, but just didn't expect an upsell. Anyway, I turned down the offer. On Princess, if they don't get enough takers they will make better offers. I'm perfectly happy with my decision and my cabin, but I was just wondering if HAL ever makes second offers. Just curious. Thanks for any info.

I have received two rounds of upsell offers on our last two Hal cruises. On the last cruise on the Eurodam in June, the first round arrived several weeks prior to sailing and second round came about a week or so before sailing. On the second offer, the upsell amount on the Signature Suites and the Neptune Suites was more than 50% lower than the original upsell amount. I couldn't resist and took the upsell from our balcony cabin to the Neptune Suite. Figured it may never happen again!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We passed on the first upsell offer when we went to Alaska a couple years ago. We were very content in the original cabin we had booked, like you.

Another week went by and we got another upsell offer which was lower and we jumped on it this time to a Neptune suite. Loved it!

Hopefully you will get another offer which you will be pleased with. I always think of how much I am willing to pay if an upsell offer ever comes so I am prepared.

Good luck!

I have received two rounds of upsell offers on our last two Hal cruises. On the last cruise on the Eurodam in June, the first round arrived several weeks prior to sailing and second round came about a week or so before sailing. On the second offer, the upsell amount on the Signature Suites and the Neptune Suites was more than 50% lower than the original upsell amount. I couldn't resist and took the upsell from our balcony cabin to the Neptune Suite. Figured it may never happen again!

Thanks! Now I'll be wondering if I'll get another offer.

We passed on the first upsell offer when we went to Alaska a couple years ago. We were very content in the original cabin we had booked, like you.

Another week went by and we got another upsell offer which was lower and we jumped on it this time to a Neptune suite. Loved it!

Hopefully you will get another offer which you will be pleased with. I always think of how much I am willing to pay if an upsell offer ever comes so I am prepared.

Good luck!

Thanks. Good to know. When I got the call I didn't know if they might come back. I won't be disappointed if they don't call back, but now I know they might make a new offer. I'm pretty low on the cabin category list, though, so others may snatch up the deals before they get to me.

Upsells vary by each and every cruise. Sometimes you only get one chance to say yes - other times, you get numerous opportunities, each one declining, sometimes only by $50-$100 each time. Only you know what price point makes sense for you!

We booked 7-day Alaska southbound on the Zaandam just on Sunday June 28 got a Sunday July 5 cruise. We paid $299/pp at such an insanely low rate. But on Monday we got the upsell email for $149 pp to oceanview. We declined even though $348 pp got us in the top tier OV room.

We got another email on Wednesday to upgrade at $99 pp. we declined again since getting on the ship was the sole reason for our voyage. Any chance it comes down again to $49 pp. We're just four days out and there are at least 16 OV rooms available to purchase.

We booked 7-day Alaska southbound on the Zaandam just on Sunday June 28 got a Sunday July 5 cruise. We paid $299/pp at such an insanely low rate. But on Monday we got the upsell email for $149 pp to oceanview. We declined even though $348 pp got us in the top tier OV room.

We got another email on Wednesday to upgrade at $99 pp. we declined again since getting on the ship was the sole reason for our voyage. Any chance it comes down again to $49 pp. We're just four days out and there are at least 16 OV rooms available to purchase.

You got a good deal. I booked an inside. I was offered OOV and OV which I don't care about. The window doesn't make much difference to me. I'd like a balcony, though. I'm on for 14 days and I'd enjoy a balcony. I'm sailing solo, though, so I have to pay 200% of the upsell amount. It adds up. As I said, I have a cabin I'm happy with, so I'll be fine either way.

You got a good deal. I booked an inside. I was offered OOV and OV which I don't care about. The window doesn't make much difference to me. I'd like a balcony, though. I'm on for 14 days and I'd enjoy a balcony. I'm sailing solo, though, so I have to pay 200% of the upsell amount. It adds up. As I said, I have a cabin I'm happy with, so I'll be fine either way.

Wishing you both luck in getting better deals.

As others have mentioned, you can get 2-3 or even more upsell offers. However, alot of them go on the first round - it just depends on how many cabins they need to move and of course how good of a deal they are offering.

If you are at all interested, you need to do your homework ahead of time. First, know how much you are willing to pay, and if a deal at that price or better comes along, grab it right away or it may be gone.

Second, look at how many cabins are available in the higher category you are looking at. This will give you some idea as to how good the deals will be and if you need to move fast.

Third, from the information gathered on step two, make a list of cabins that you would like. That way, if you call to upsell you will be ready to ask for the best cabin.

As others have mentioned, you can get 2-3 or even more upsell offers. However, alot of them go on the first round - it just depends on how many cabins they need to move and of course how good of a deal they are offering.

If you are at all interested, you need to do your homework ahead of time. First, know how much you are willing to pay, and if a deal at that price or better comes along, grab it right away or it may be gone.

Second, look at how many cabins are available in the higher category you are looking at. This will give you some idea as to how good the deals will be and if you need to move fast.

Third, from the information gathered on step two, make a list of cabins that you would like. That way, if you call to upsell you will be ready to ask for the best cabin.

Thanks for the good advice. I already decided on an acceptable amount and told my TA what I'd accept if they make another offer. I'll just have to wait and see. Good idea to look at available cabins, though. Thanks.

We got 2 suite upsell offers on the Westerdam a few weeks ago. First offer was an email about 10 days before sailing. By the time I got a chance to call back, the open suites were taken. So I asked to be put on list for any suite cancellations or no-shows. 4 days later they called and we got our suite. Matter of fact, we had our choice of two open suites at the time. Not sorry we upgraded.

We learned that on an upsell you can select from a list of the available cabins. On our first upsell our TA did not tell us this and we were just assigned one at random. Luckily someone here on the CC boards posted that we likely could have selected from a list instead, so since then we have always asked. Sometimes this results in a great cabin location, so be sure to ask.

Does it matter if you booked directly with HAL or with a TA as it pertains to being offered an upsell? If you use a TA does HAL contact you directly or do they go through your TA? I guess I am concerned that if it goes through the TA that they might not follow through appropriately.

Does it matter if you booked directly with HAL or with a TA as it pertains to being offered an upsell? If you use a TA does HAL contact you directly or do they go through your TA? I guess I am concerned that if it goes through the TA that they might not follow through appropriately.

On our cruise last September on the Prinsendam, we booked through a TA and the e-mail upsell offer went to the TA, who then forwarded the email to us. We did not accept the offer or the second lower offer. Probably would have accepted the second, but by the time we received the forwarded email we were already in Amsterdam, too late.

For our latest cruise in June, we booked direct and the e-mails came to us directly. We accepted the second offer when the prices came way down!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

On our cruise last September on the Prinsendam, we booked through a TA and the e-mail upsell offer went to the TA, who then forwarded the email to us. We did not accept the offer or the second lower offer. Probably would have accepted the second, but by the time we received the forwarded email we were already in Amsterdam, too late.

For our latest cruise in June, we booked direct and the e-mails came to us directly. We accepted the second offer when the prices came way down!

As you clearly noted, if you want upsells, booking through HAL directly is the best approach as you eliminate the middle man in the process. By the time your TA gets the email, notifies you, you call theTA back, and then the TA contacts HAL, the best deals are often gone.

Of course if you do not check your emails frequently, you can miss out as well.

As you clearly noted, if you want upsells, booking through HAL directly is the best approach as you eliminate the middle man in the process. By the time your TA gets the email, notifies you, you call theTA back, and then the TA contacts HAL, the best deals are often gone.

Of course if you do not check your emails frequently, you can miss out as well.

And I seem to remember that the office at HAL that handles the upsell is only open Monday through Friday during normal business hours. So if yiu miss the window or get the email from the TA late you may be out of luck. I normally use a TA, but booked this particular cruise after receiving a sale email over the weekend from HAL and it required full payment so just did it directly. Also did air and insurance through HAL, one call. Easy peasey, and very pleased with how it all worked out. I enjoyed having control of my booking, for a change!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I think you are correct on the week day only for upsells.

One nice thing about using a HAL PCC - they are not afraid to call the department that handles upsells and ask what the potential for an upsell is on a specific cruise. Mine did several times on a recent cruise and when time came for the upsell, they called him before the mass email went out. He then called me and I was able to pick out a great location from a list of about 10 cabins.

I think you are correct on the week day only for upsells.

One nice thing about using a HAL PCC - they are not afraid to call the department that handles upsells and ask what the potential for an upsell is on a specific cruise. Mine did several times on a recent cruise and when time came for the upsell, they called him before the mass email went out. He then called me and I was able to pick out a great location from a list of about 10 cabins.

Thanks...that is a very helpful tip! Have never used my PCC, but keep getting nice emails and an letter from her after I booked this cruise.

I booked through a TA, so she called me with the upsell offer which I turned down. Now, I've told her the price I'll accept and she will watch for another offer if it comes. If it doesn't happen I'm OK with the cabin I have. It's kind of fun waiting to see what happens!

I booked through a TA, so she called me with the upsell offer which I turned down. Now, I've told her the price I'll accept and she will watch for another offer if it comes. If it doesn't happen I'm OK with the cabin I have. It's kind of fun waiting to see what happens!

Do some research on your cruise and give her a list of cabin numbers that you would like. All of us have different ideas on the "best" cabin in a category, so giving your TA guidance on your preference would be a good idea IMO.

Hi Lana,

I assume it's you. Remember, we sailed to Hawaii from L.A. together in December? It's good to see you going on another cruise. The funny thing is, I didn't think we would go this year, but we are doing 12 days from Barcelona to Venice on August 8 on Niew Amsterdam. Very port intensive. Hope we survive. Enjoy your cruise and hope our paths will cross again.