Yet another caution against flying in day of

wrp96

I'm currently posting from the Grand Hyatt DFW instead of the Intercontinental Miami. Thankfully still have time to get to Miami for a cruise tomorrow.

What doomed us? No gate available and then no jet ridge operator. Doesn't even take a mechanical or weather to cause an issue.

On the positive side...It is a very nice hotel. I have stayed there a couple times when I had early flights out of DFW. :D

Oh believe me I'm very familiar with it.;). The option the airline gave us was definitely not as nice and much farther away. I will pay for my own hotel if it means I'm much more comfortable (besides that's what travel insurance is for).

As it is I'm quite unhappy about the missed connection as it also involves being downgraded. Plus this is major issue #3 with this airline in the last 2 months.

Edited by wrp96

And yet some people will still say something like "I've flown in the day of the cruise X times and never had a problem" as though that is predictive. It only takes one major delay to convert them to "never again."

And yet some people will still say something like "I've flown in the day of the cruise X times and never had a problem" as though that is predictive. It only takes one major delay to convert them to "never again."

There's just no convincing people sometimes until it happens to them. I flew in the day before for our honeymoon and the airline lost our luggage. They just plain had a hard time finding it and once they did they had to get it to us. We were so thankful we got it before the cruise. Never would I ever fly the day of. But some people you just can't convince.

Not exactly cruise related but at work I encountered a guy yesterday taking the last flight of the day to a given destination. Plane came in right in time, no overbooking and then all of the sudden: hydraulical leak and flight cancelled. That guy was furious because he had a wedding to attend in the morning. His own wedding, go figure! When I asked him why he took such a risk by flying in a couple of hours in advance, he simply had no answer. I'm pretty sure that guy is also convinced now and he'll be on an earlier flight next time.

Not exactly cruise related but at work I encountered a guy yesterday taking the last flight of the day to a given destination. Plane came in right in time, no overbooking and then all of the sudden: hydraulical leak and flight cancelled. That guy was furious because he had a wedding to attend in the morning. His own wedding, go figure! When I asked him why he took such a risk by flying in a couple of hours in advance, he simply had no answer. I'm pretty sure that guy is also convinced now and he'll be on an earlier flight next time.

Next marriage? LOL :D

Some people are just naive. Claiming, they've had no "trouble" in the past, when they are once a year cruisers. :) Every day- has potential. And any "reports" of all the success- is hindsight. At the time, it was unknown as well- if schedules were going to be maintained.

I fly standby, so have always, stacked the decks for me to make my travel plans. I've come to enjoy those extra days and make full use of opportunities. I also have the advantage of the experience of being able to make changes quickly, knowing alternative routes and being flexible. Yes, I've camped out all day at airports and had a few overnights, but in my case, nothing beats free flights. :)

Some people are just naive. Claiming, they've had no "trouble" in the past, when they are once a year cruisers. :) Every day- has potential. And any "reports" of all the success- is hindsight. At the time, it was unknown as well- if schedules were going to be maintained.

I fly standby, so have always, stacked the decks for me to make my travel plans. I've come to enjoy those extra days and make full use of opportunities. I also have the advantage of the experience of being able to make changes quickly, knowing alternative routes and being flexible. Yes, I've camped out all day at airports and had a few overnights, but in my case, nothing beats free flights. :)

From my very first cruise, even before visiting CC, it never crossed my mind to fly in the day of the cruise... there is always last minute shopping to do, and who doesn't want to relax with a nice dinner out the night before without having to drive anywhere after?

Way back when, like 30 years ago, we used to always fly in the night before on the red eye. Now we try to come in at least a day early mostly because it is easier to get acclimated. However, there are tons and tons of people that cannot due to family issues and/or work constrictions. I'm sure they would love to but sometimes when you only get 5 days of vacation, taking 6 just isn't possible. If your boss says you can't have the day off I would rather chance missing a cruise then losing my job. While it is of course always better let's not be intolerant of those that simply can't.

OP, glad you are making the best of the situation. Have a great cruise and thanks for sharing your story.

In the case of the guy getting married....um, how can I put this nicely. What an idiot! Assuming he stays married, she will never ever let him live it down. He will have to hear about his mistake until the day he dies LOL.

Edited by notentirelynormal

To add to the fun, we are now spending the night at the Hilton at ORD due to weather canceling flights. This trip has become a walking advertisement for a great TA and good travel insurance.

Which brings up the difference between a "Great TA" and an order-taker that might get you a slightly better price. So many think that "Great" equals "saves some money". You have found that it's actually "saves my butt".

One provides service, the other processes paperwork.

But then again, let's think of that underappreciated word: Value

Hope the time at sea was better than that at airports. And, you're racking up some hotel nights and points!!

I haven't used a TA in years. It adds an extra layer of possible miscommunication, and they have never been able to do anything I couldn't do myself. That said, I am a very experienced traveler. For those who are not or have had their travel limited to flying to Florida ports for Caribbean cruises, a good travel agent might be a wise choice.

Which brings up the difference between a "Great TA" and an order-taker that might get you a slightly better price. So many think that "Great" equals "saves some money". You have found that it's actually "saves my butt".

One provides service, the other processes paperwork.

But then again, let's think of that underappreciated word: Value

Well in each case as soon as we knew there was an issue, mine got a text saying book me a hotel and she was booking my preferred hotels. In fact I had hotels booked before the airlines completed the rebooking. She's also already started the travel insurance claims.

Hope the time at sea was better than that at airports. And, you're racking up some hotel nights and points!!

Cruise was great. Me and Hilton have been really good friends this year, Hyatt and Sofitel as well.

Will be having a discussion with the airline about the points as I was downgraded in one direction, losing out on many bonus points. I'm going to be close on my status requalification this year and don't want to miss out solely because they couldn't find a jetbridge operator.

A lesson that I learned while waking up just as my flight was leaving. There's nothing like calling your best friend to let her know that you've missed your flight and the two of you will catch up with the ship in Nassau.[emoji20]

Wait until your entire roll call, including your cruise director, knows you've overslept and missed your flight.;) I don't recommend the Love Field to DFW by taxi precruise excursion btw.

Edited by wrp96