Amalfi Coast Excursions/Trips Out of Naples

Newbury newbie

We'll be docking in Naples on the Reflection on a Sunday (9th August) and were keen to just do a run to the Amalfi Coast area. We'd be looking to get in some villages like Amalfi and Positano and a spot of lunch may be. I've looked at the X arranged excursions and they don't look too appealing. Any advice or suggestions on what to do? Has anybody hired a local taxi, at the port, for this sort of thing? Never really been concerned about missing the ship before but should we be wary of Sunday traffic?

We'll be docking in Naples on the Reflection on a Sunday (9th August) and were keen to just do a run to the Amalfi Coast area. We'd be looking to get in some villages like Amalfi and Positano and a spot of lunch may be. I've looked at the X arranged excursions and they don't look too appealing. Any advice or suggestions on what to do? Has anybody hired a local taxi, at the port, for this sort of thing? Never really been concerned about missing the ship before but should we be wary of Sunday traffic?

Check out ur roll call......http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206 someone may have started a private excursion!

We did naples in 2013..what I had to say: Naples: http://www.aldolimos.com/ organized by another CC member and was awesome! We actually had the owner—Aldo—as our driver and guide. Simply an awesome gentlemen who made sure we had a great tour. We did their Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento tour! We went as far as we could first and then worked our way back to the ship! Probably the best way to do it because of traffic!! Yes the road is VERY windy! But he took it easy and no one felt car sick! We had the option of finding our own place to eat or for 25 Euro he would take us to a place he would take his family, and it was pretty much all you could eat and drink,lol More importantly is was extremely good! And 99.99% of tourists would never find it. Another great tour in the books!

If you are thinking about hiring a taxi at the port, you might be better off reserving in advance. We used johnnystourservice.com with serveral people on our roll call. He was fabulous. Picked us up at the pier and gave us a wonderful tour that included Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi. We stopped at a beautiful restaurant just north of Amalfi.

He will tailor a tour to whatever you want. He was highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

I have used http://www.seeamalficoast.com 2 different times. Fabulous! Look on their site, lots to choose from. You can do individual or group tours. You might be able to put a group together on your roll call. I agree, you do not want to drive the windy roads or drive thru the towns yourself. There is one way in and one way out! On each tour we had requested a private guide in Pompeii and then Herculaneum for the second trip. Then spent the rest of the day going up the coast/lunch. Great experience!

Check out ur roll call......http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206 someone may have started a private excursion!

We did naples in 2013..what I had to say: Naples: http://www.aldolimos.com/ organized by another CC member and was awesome! We actually had the owner—Aldo—as our driver and guide. Simply an awesome gentlemen who made sure we had a great tour. We did their Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento tour! We went as far as we could first and then worked our way back to the ship! Probably the best way to do it because of traffic!! Yes the road is VERY windy! But he took it easy and no one felt car sick! We had the option of finding our own place to eat or for 25 Euro he would take us to a place he would take his family, and it was pretty much all you could eat and drink,lol More importantly is was extremely good! And 99.99% of tourists would never find it. Another great tour in the books!

Another recommendation for Aldolimos. We were a group of eight two years ago and did Amalfi, Positano and Ravello with them, loved our day so much we are booked again this fall.

Another recommendation for Aldolimos. We were a group of eight two years ago and did Amalfi, Positano and Ravello with them, loved our day so much we are booked again this fall.

I presume this was out of Naples? Can you remember the cost for a group of 8?

Why not go to the board on Italy ports:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Read at least a part of the thread on RomeInLimo, they service Rome, Naples, Florence and other cities in Italy and are wonderful. We've used them in Rome & Naples and hired them for Amalfi Coast tour. There are over 3000 posts on that thread and nearly all praising what a great group they are to work with. They will set up whatever tour you want, pick you up on time, get you back on time and have a wonderful time inbetween....you can't go wrong with them.... :)

Edited by Gracie115

It was not suppose to be out of Naples but dur to weather our port was changed, it was on Oceania and the concierge allowed me to call Aldo, we changed it to Napkes ( I think there was a slight up charge ) this time we are on the Reflection, I booked a share tour with them and two other couples from our roll call are joining us, I think the tour for eight is 50 and for six 60 but you can easily check on their website. It was truly a wonderful day!

We visited Positano, Ravello and Amalfi and had lunch in a fabulous place overlooking the Bay of Salerno high above Positano called LaTagliata. The tour was with Aldo of http://www.aldolimos.com we had a fabulous time, highly recommended.

If you can't arranged a group of 6 or 8, they do shared tours visit their website, you can't go wrong - enjoy Amalfi coast it's beautiful and say hi to Aldo from me.

Edited by mickey89

On the Reflection this May and we did not join others for independent tours, but there were lots of cruisers on the roll call booking these. So, having been to Naples before and previously taking the train to Pompeii and Herculaneum, we elected to do it on our own, and it was EASY for us. Local Circumvesuviana Trains Linking Naples, Pompeii and Sorrento are easy to catch from the Port and very inexpensive, tickets can be bought at tobacco stand and include Metro as well. At Sorrento you will have immediate access to Hop on Hop off for either Amalfi coast or just to stay in Sorrento area. I am sure an independent tour guide and van can be more tailored to individual desires and much less walking on your part, especially if you have any mobility issues which many cruisers have to deal with. Good luck and enjoy your outing. The coast is beautiful!

Here is a link you might ck out: http://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_circumvesuviana_trains.html

We recently stopped in Naples on our June cruise and used Can't Be Missed Tours http://cantbemissedtours.com/tours/naples-pompeii-and-the-amalfi-coast/

They were fantastic. We visited Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. It was amazing and the cost was 65 euros per person (additional cost for Pompeii ruins). Much cheaper than ship tour. We even had a lady forget an earring at the gift shop the ruins and the bus driver went back.

We also used them for our stop in Rome. Highly recommend.

Edited by NLCruisers

I have gone twice and used "rome in limo" twice. they are in several ports in Italy.

They have vans of 8 and now have a "shared van" option that you don't even have to get your group together on CC.

if you are in positano and go down to the river, to come back up, on the left side is a staircase.......DON"T GO UP THE STAIRS. I think there are about 1000 steps with no way out........ trust me on this one, go up the hill on the right which is more a small hill with shops and restaurants.

Enjoy italy........ whatever you decide.

We were out of Naples (review above) It wasn't that much and lots of room in the mini bus that he had..Quick email to him will find the current prices and availability....I think he tends to book up fairly fast

Cruise ship excursions are normally conducted on large busses and CANNOT access some of the major roads along the Amalfi Coast. If for no other reason than this join the Roll Call and plan a much better day.

The tour guides recommended here, and we have used some of them too, will give you their best. They will get you back to the ship prior to departure. No need to worry about that.

Some Roll Call groups even customize their excursions and you can't do that on a cruise ship shore excursion. That is another reason to book with these small group tours.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We used Francesco Marrapese. Just Google his name and his web page should come up. He was polite, prompt, early, stopped at all the towns and sites, arranged lunch on the shore side in Ravello for my 6oth birthday then proceeded to Pompei where we hired a group guide. We were back to the port with 2 hours to spare.

July 2014 - we had a day in Naples.

We used AP tours - did Pompeii with Guide, then had private driver for Amalfi Coast -stopping in Positano and Ravello shared among 8 of us who found the group via the Celebrity Reflection roll call.

https://www.sharedtoursinitaly.com/

It was a fabulous day - super driver(Alessandro) drove us in Mercedes mini van to Pompeii got there just as site was opening (AHEAD OF CROWDS!). We met our guide at Pompeii and she had a plan to see a lot before the crowds. Then when the crowds arrived - she did some things differently to avoid them. When we were done at Pompeii, we were back in the hands of our skilled local driver - happily not driving the winding roads of the Amalfi coast. We stopped first in Positano, then later for lunch, finally ending up in Ravello.

Since you aren't driving - try a limoncello (lemon liqueur local to the region).

Driver was very willing to flex to what the group wanted to do.

Best luck with your planning.

Edited by villageneighbor