Being invited to the Captain's/Officers' Table

Blue Lagoon

:D Yep! Husband is already saying, "Next time we should..." and then lists off what we should do or bring. Guess we should always sail on ships with Greek captains!

A strong chance of that with X.:D

Yeap, because EVERY Celebrity Ship Captain is GREEK. LOL.

Incidentally, we have been to a few officer tables, some hosted by the captain, others not. Generally those in the penthouse are invited, as are top cruisers. Others are at the Captains Club host's discretion which could mean a lot of things as the hosting officer may make special requests such as one officer who asked for an all female table. There was one female couple, one mother daughter, 2 friends sailing with husbands they ditched for the dinner and 2 friends sailing together whiteout their husbands. Remember, if the penthouse or top cruiser turns down the invitation, that would leave spots for others to be invited. Other factors include scheduling as I've seen one table hosted on formal nights due to time between the two set dining times, but mostly we've seen two hosted officer tables on formal nights. As long as you're outgoing enough, it's a fun experience to chat with others you likely just met, and we'e made some nice friends we've met at the table.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were on the Constellation Eastbound last year, and they not only had the Captain's Table on Formal Nights, but also it was set up and filled throughout the cruise. It was nice to see a lot of people getting to experience the event.

We were on the Constellation Eastbound last year, and they not only had the Captain's Table on Formal Nights, but also it was set up and filled throughout the cruise. It was nice to see a lot of people getting to experience the event.
Also, on some cruises when main dining is full, we have seen them use the Captain's Table just for regular main seating (no officer there; no special event) instead of leaving a large table sit empty.

So they only had an official "Captain's Table" at the late seating.

Guess those people in main dining can say they got to sit at the Captain's Table every night.

Have dined at Captains table a good few times - on Celebrity twice - Millennium and Constellation - both times I sat beside the captain which we very nice (for him;) ) . I think the captain on Connie is still with X - I forget his second name - Dimitris - he was a LOT of fun - and the party continued on the bridge afterwards.

So I will be looking forward to my invite in October :D

Yeap, because EVERY Celebrity Ship Captain is GREEK. LOL.

Incidentally, we have been to a few officer tables, some hosted by the captain, others not. Generally those in the penthouse are invited, as are top cruisers. Others are at the Captains Club host's discretion which could mean a lot of things as the hosting officer may make special requests such as one officer who asked for an all female table. There was one female couple, one mother daughter, 2 friends sailing with husbands they ditched for the dinner and 2 friends sailing together whiteout their husbands. Remember, if the penthouse or top cruiser turns down the invitation, that would leave spots for others to be invited. Other factors include scheduling as I've seen one table hosted on formal nights due to time between the two set dining times, but mostly we've seen two hosted officer tables on formal nights. As long as you're outgoing enough, it's a fun experience to chat with others you likely just met, and we'e made some nice friends we've met at the table.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks Jenna for the tips to get invited, I just have to become female get a penthouse after becoming the top cruiser and make sure the CC host likes me.;)

As for captains being Greek, I have been told that Celebrity was once Chandris lines (Big X on the funnel) and they still like to keep the connections.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We've been invited twice and partook once. On Equinox in 2012, we were still Classic CC and had only been on a 7-night Alaska cruise. We were upgraded from the S1 we booked to a RS, which came with Elite perks, including an invitation to dine with the Chief Engineer on one of the formal nights. I'm not sure how my wife felt, but I was fairly uncomfortable at first. We were the only couple at the table not in formal attire (I don't own a tux; was not willing to rent one just for the trip). My wife's dress passed as formal (in my book, at least) and I was the oddball in a suit. We ended up having a very nice time and at no time were we treated in any way but warmly. We pressed the others for "war" stories about their cruises, since everyone else at the table had been on 20-50 sailings each. It was a great experience, but we ended up declining the offer on a subsequent sailing, as we didn't bring anything remotely formal (even a suit).

I guess I may reconsider bringing at least a suit after our upcoming sailing, as we'll move into Elite. Not sure how the restructuring of the CC affected such things as Captain's Table invitations.

A very nice experience to be at the Captain's table and we were also at the Engineers table, both times we had an excellent time. The Captain met us at "Meet the Officer's" in Michael's Club and when returning to our cabin there was an invite for dinner. When we were invited to the Engineers table we had met the engineer before and discussed what we did when at home. We race Camaro's and he races Corvettes (drag racing). Our butler gave us the invitation the next day to diner for the second formal night. Both were in the MDR, both hosted by the Captain's Club hostess. A wonderful experience both times

Really, the captain's table is just a status thing. It is the same menu as the MDR for that night.

Well, your personal experience at the Captain's Table may have been different -- but I would disagree with that generalization. After years of cruising with RC and X, we received our first invitation to dine with the Captain/Senior Officer, on our recent Summit Cruise. We had great tablemates, and a wonderful host (Staff Captain Nigel Smyth). As it was "lobster night", we were quite happy to be offered the regular MDR menu. The food, wine, and company, made it a very special evening for us -- "status" had nothing to do with it. :cool:

Really, the captain's table is just a status thing. It is the same menu as the MDR for that night.

That's not true. We were at the Captain's Table last month on Summit, and we had personal engraved menus with our names on them. It was a different menu from the MDR as I looked at the MDR menu before hand to see what I would like to order. Some of the items were the same as the MDR, and some were different. I would say 50/50. It was a nice little menu to keep along with the photo.

That's not true. We were at the Captain's Table last month on Summit, and we had personal engraved menus with our names on them. It was a different menu from the MDR as I looked at the MDR menu before hand to see what I would like to order. Some of the items were the same as the MDR, and some were different. I would say 50/50. It was a nice little menu to keep along with the photo.

we got the special menu too. it was a nice touch.

We have enjoyed many lovely nights at the Captains Table. I consider it an honor.

I haven't had a Captain's table invite but have had an officer's table dinner which was wonderful.

Yes, it was an honour to be invited, yes, we felt special, yes, it was a great time and yes, there were free drinks all night. It may not appeal to everyone but I will happily take their place.:D

We have enjoyed many lovely nights at the Captains Table. I consider it an honor.

I consider it an more of an honor to have dined with you (at an officers table and 'just" for dinner) than the officer we dined with who's name I can't remember and could barely communicate with :D

Today we cancelled all but 2 sailings (December from Fort Lauderdale to Valparasio and next Nov from Rome to Abu Dhabi) because we're cruising in our OWN boat, weeeeee

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I believe that when most people comment about the Captain's Table they are indicating dinner with the Captain, Staff Captain, other Officer, or Dignitary. I used to differential between the various types of tables, but now I follow the norm of calling them all "Captain's Tables." Now, if I am wrong I will go back to the older method, if I ever speak of the various tables again.

Jenna, are you still doing the big family cruise ?;)

Nope. Darlene's son (the one with triplets) baulked at Celebrity (not enough to do for the kids), which convinced his brother and sister to join the revolt. Dee said screw them we'll do something else. She's threatening to have our boat trucked to FL or go to Maui (miles and points makes that totally doable).

We'll see.

Best to you and sorry for the thread hijack! Do you have my email?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Today we cancelled all but 2 sailings (December from Fort Lauderdale to Valparasio and next Nov from Rome to Abu Dhabi) because we're cruising in our OWN boat, weeeeee

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I hope you got the drinks package.:p

I have really enjoyed reading all your thoughts and experiences about Captain's Tables. I agree with most of them.

Until I actually dined at the table (hosted by one of the chief officers, not the captain) I did not understand what all the hoopla was about. Afterward, I thought WOW, now I understand.

We have dined at the captain's table several times since then. Some times have been more enjoyable than other times. the group dynamics do make a difference. When the group consists of a delicate balance of people who enjoy entertaining others and people who enjoy being entertained, the result can be an unforgettable experience with new friends. The host's personality makes a difference, too. Some are more comfortable than others, but all of the ones who hosted us, tried to include everyone in the conversation.

The menu does vary, and I think is a reflection of the host. If the host is frugal, it will be the house menu and a mid level wine. If the host is a little more relaxed, it will be different. Once, we had Murano's menu and some "most excellent" wine. I think the captain was celebrating something. :D:D:D We were happy to help him.

I also agree that the Captain's club hostess is instrumental in picking the guests.

My thoughts: If you get an opportunity, put on your party shoes and go. Whoever hosts, they wants you feel special and have a good time. They want to make it a memorable experience for you and will do everything they can to make sure that happens. BUT, if you are someone who really doesn't like people, you have my blessing to dine at your little table in comfort. :)

Has anyone ever gotten an invite while in a lowly Celebrity Suite on an M class? Our 15 day Panama Canal cruise will have 3 formal nights but I don't know if those precious invites trickle that far down the chain. It would be our first cruise as Elite so I guess a girl can dream big huh?! :)