Bike rentals in Cozumel (triumph)

jackig218

Hi there! We are going to cruise October 19th from Galveston on the triumph. It's my hubby's first cruise! Yay!!! We were looking to maybe rent bicycles in Cozumel and tour around ourselves. I understand that at the park royal hotel they have them for 15.00... But my question is... How far from the port is this hotel? Or do you all have any other suggestions for super cheap ideas while in Cozumel or Progreso?? We can spend money there if something to just to die for... But we made a personal challenge to try to really limit the money spent and make memories other ways. So if an idea DOES cost more money, please suggest it, if it's highly recommended and worth the money we have it. He isn't a huge water fan ( yeah I know... Weird that he will be on a cruise ship but not like water lol) so a beach stroll would be fine... Just no snorkeling or anything. Suggestions welcomed!!!

Edited by jackig218

We were looking into doing the same thing. I've read reviews about how crappy quality the bikes were. So now I'm kinda afraid to rent bikes. I'm following this post to see if anyone has anything positive about bike rentals.

Thanks!

I don't know about the bicycle quality but I did see the Park Royal hotel. It is about a 5 min walk once you reach the main street, turn left.

A car rental might allow you to see more of the island. Make sure you buy all the insurance they sell.

Have a great cruise

Cheaper than your $15 bike ride is a $10 cab ride to The Money Bar and great snorkeling from the shore. No admission fee, good facilities, rental gear if you need it, plus good food/drinks/service.

The cab fare covers up to 4 passengers in the taxi, so pair up with others on your roll call. :cool:

We did see a flatbed trailer that had a lot of bikes for rent right out side of the Puerta Maya pier area. Near where you would get a taxi. That being said, I wouldn't ride a bike in Cozumel either. The road is very well traveled by some very crazy drivers. There aren't really any "back roads" to just ride around on, unless you go to town. There is basically just one main "highway" that goes around the island.

We have walked from Carnival's pier into town before. Actually, we took a cab into town and then walked back, doing our own little pub crawl along the way. It was fun. There is a nice wide sidewalk all the way from town to the pier that you could ride on if you want to bike. We met up with some people from the CC M&G at the Park Royal, and then finished at one of the bars at the pier. It was a good day.

this will be our 3rd trip to Cozumel from a cruise. did the Harley motorcycle excursion on first, taxi to the money bar on the second and this time we are renting a jeep from

http://www.rentadoraisis.com.mx/352.html

there are cheaper rides from them. we have heard great things about them and we plan on touring the coast and stopping where and when we want.

michael

In doing research I found a DIY walking tour Of San Miguel. It included

suggestions for authentic loncherias for lunch. Google a walking tour of San Miguel Cozumel. This should get you to the site. I really want to go to El Mercado on a future stop in Cozumel and see something less touristy and then do a loncheria.

Others suggestions for renting a car and seeing the East (Wild) Side of the island also gets a thumbs up. It is so gorgeous and uncrowded there. When we went with my parents we did not rent though. We hired a taxi for an island tour. This was very enjoyable. It would have been nice to go at our own pace though.

Edited by mawvkysc

There is a nice wide sidewalk all the way from town to the pier that you could ride on if you want to bike.

This is an actual question, not a rhetorical one- is it legal to bike on the sidewalk? I've only ever seen (locals) bike in the road, and I know many place in the US don't allow bikes on sidewalks.

I personally wouldn't bike or drive in Cozumel. When we stay there we walk in San Miguel and take taxi's when going far.

There is no way that I would ride a bike on COZ, because of the way the people don't know how to drive.

Been shot at, cut to the bone, broke a few ribs, even rolled a jeep, but you don't have enough money to get me on a bike or scooter in San Miguel. Not gonna happen.

Skittl,

You can hardly walk down the Malecon. Biking on the sidewalk would be like playing dodgeball.:D

Edited by clackey
Add stuff.

Skittl,

You can hardly walk down the Malecon.

We've never had a problem if you walk on the sea-side instead of the shop side. (Walking on the shop side is HORRIBLE.)

Biking on the sidewalk would be like playing dodgeball.:D

Well, so would biking in the street:)

Been shot at, cut to the bone, broke a few ribs, even rolled a jeep, but you don't have enough money to get me on a bike or scooter in San Miguel. Not gonna happen.

Skittl,

You can hardly walk down the Malecon. Biking on the sidewalk would be like playing dodgeball.:D

I don't think the previous poster was referring to the sidewalks in town but rather the path from just south of town to the piers. We have walked that path several times and non-motorized bikes certainly use it. I think it may well be a designated jogging/ bike path.

There is also a path north of town out to the hotels that the bike tour with the seats used to use but I am not sure if that is an actual sidewalk, or part of the road. They now use the old road south of the piers to a beach bar for the excursion.

The old road on the east side is now a designated bike road and there is a company out there that rents electric bikes. I believe you can either ride on that road or they have an excursion on the road within Punta Sur.

This is an actual question, not a rhetorical one- is it legal to bike on the sidewalk? I've only ever seen (locals) bike in the road, and I know many place in the US don't allow bikes on sidewalks.

I personally wouldn't bike or drive in Cozumel. When we stay there we walk in San Miguel and take taxi's when going far.

I have no idea if it is legal or not to bike on that particular sidewalk. On most of the sidewalks in town, you would not be able to bike because of the conditions of the sidewalks and the number of people. The the sidewalk between town and the International pier and Puerta Maya is a nice wide smoothly paved sidewalk. When we walked it there was very little if any pedestrian traffic using it besides us. You can go to Google Earth, street view, start at Margaritaville and go towards the port and see how wide and empty the sidewalk on the sea side is. I didn't see any signs saying that bikes aren't allowed, but that doesn't mean they are. Using street view, you can see all of the bars and places you could stop. If you were on bikes, you'd have to worry about locking them and watching them. I would just walk it.

I would never ever rent a bike or moped in Cozumel. I have been going to the island for the past 15 years for a week about once a year.... trust me, the roads are full of potholes and the taxi drivers are speeding around. Every time I hear a siren, I know it is a tourist who got hit. Seriously, WALK or take a taxi in Cozumel.