Aussie Dollar

Confirms my theory..'The more you drink the more you save.'

So one can 'Escape Completely' and 'Come Back New' for a mere $59 per diem for booze.

Well done Princess Cruises as long as you don't serve up 'Chateau Cardboard and low strength beer to the Orstralians.

They are looking better and better.:D

Wheee! *slurp, slurp, slurp*

I'll let you all know when I board Dawn 20th August :D

We're still debating over the package. I'm not going to buy it until we board so I can check out the current wine list.

I like the convenience of a package but it does limit the variety of wines available (and usually the quality). From memory the by-the-glass selection wasn't the greatest on Sun at Christmas and if I have to buy wines by the bottle then even getting 40% won't make the package good value for money. On our last cruise we averaged $85 per for drinks and coffees for the two of us and we drank several premium wines ($40-$70) per bottle. The package for the two of us will cost $118 per day.

Would it be worth it?

Depending on the cruise price yes. It goes both ways. I am interested in a few cruises but can't book as I am in China till August but here is my small sample of prices and currency variations.

Lets check the $$$ for the few on Radiance that I am following.

Dec 3 2016 13 days Sth Pacific, Fiji, Tonga.

Balcony gty (all fares and taxes but not pp grats)

Aussie price for 2 pax $3167 AUD = $2368 USD at todays rates.

USA price for same $3414 USD (but probably get free grats from USA TA)

So in the example above provided I was willing to give up flexibility I could save $1000 USD if I booked in Australia.

Sep 9 2016 11 nights Hawaii from Vancouver.

Inside Aussie price 2 pax $4393 AUD = $3287 USD

US price for same $2642 USD = $3530 AUD

Balc price same cruise.

Aussie $8533 = $6389 USD

US $5020 = $6704 AUD

In the above examples I can save plenty despite the falling AUD by still booking with my US TA. (not that I would book a balc at those prices)

Sept 20 2016 18 nights Transpacific Hawaii-Syd

Inside Aussie price $5402 AUD = $4044 USD

Inside US price $3382 USD = $ 4520 AUD

Balc Aussie price $5402 AUD = $4044 USD (current balc upgrade promo)

Balc US price $4867 USD

In the above I save if I book an inside with the US TA but a US resident saves $800 if they book a balcony here.

So despite the currency fluctuations I still need to run the numbers.

Another example is that I recently booked a Solstice cruise with a large online Aussie TA. I also booked this cruise and their air tickets in Australia for 2 Chinese friends. The total cost of the 8 day cruise in a balcony ( double upgrade special with drinks pkg plus I pre paid the grats) was $1099 AUD plus $950 rtn air on AirChina = $2050 AUD pp. That is 9538 RMB (Yuan). Would have cost close to 14,000 Y (the air tickets were well above 6,000 Y) if they did the deal in China. The Yuan is fixed to the USD.

My cruise next Feb 16 has already gone up $1500 dollars for the same class of cabin. Of course this may change over time.

It all depends on the demand.

If the ship is nearly full , the price for the remaining space will rise. I have seen them go for double the fare I had paid....

or

if they are struggling to fill the ship the price will drop and keep dropping until every cabin is occupied.

My cruise next Feb 16 has already gone up $1500 dollars for the same class of cabin. Of course this may change over time.

And it sometimes depends what "free" perks they are offering - which aren't really free as they bump the prices up.

It all depends on the demand.

If the ship is nearly full , the price for the remaining space will rise. I have seen them go for double the fare I had paid....

or

if they are struggling to fill the ship the price will drop and keep dropping until every cabin is occupied.

I have seen both but mainly the prices rising.:D

As we are cruising in March next year, I am going to take the plunge and get OBC with my aussie dollars now - just a little bit every month to hopefully ensure the sting isnt quite so bad when I do cruise. Does anyone know if we dont spend all on board that cruise, whether we can save it for a future cruise or do they have to refund at the end???

As we are cruising in March next year, I am going to take the plunge and get OBC with my aussie dollars now - just a little bit every month to hopefully ensure the sting isnt quite so bad when I do cruise. Does anyone know if we dont spend all on board that cruise, whether we can save it for a future cruise or do they have to refund at the end???

Generally, the left over OBC will be refunded back to you and it really depends on the cruise line as to how they do that or how long it takes to get that refund. Some will put it back on your card, if they have the details, while others will send a cheque, others still do not refund at all so it is best to spend it or get cash out when on board. Check the details of the T&Cs for your cruise.

Edited by MicCanberra

And still dropping. Dropped almost another cent yesterday.

I have one of my upcoming cruises booked in USD. Mainly because RCL jacked up the inside price (my thoughts only) so they could give you a double upgrade from an inside to balcony for free. (some cruises this was a great deal this one not so much). The inside price was considerably cheaper in the US and I was given free grats and $100OBC

No big deal though as I have paid $900 USD deposit which is fully refundable and if the price here goes down or the AUD drops further I can just cancel.

Spoke to RCI and it seems you cannot buy OBC if your cruise is more than 150 days away. I had done it in the past, so now I am wondering if this is a new policy and they are aware of the AUD dropping and likely to go much lower by December 2016.

Spoke to RCI and it seems you cannot buy OBC if your cruise is more than 150 days away. I had done it in the past, so now I am wondering if this is a new policy and they are aware of the AUD dropping and likely to go much lower by December 2016.

First I have heard of this rule.

That's odd. I was able to buy OBC for my Celebrity cruise the other day and that cruise is over 150 days away. Essentially the same company in Australia.

I suggest ringing them again.

It shouldn't matter when you buy it, essentially you're buying USD at their current rate, just like you would buy cash from a bank.

That's odd. I was able to buy OBC for my Celebrity cruise the other day and that cruise is over 150 days away. Essentially the same company in Australia.

I suggest ringing them again.

It shouldn't matter when you buy it, essentially you're buying USD at their current rate, just like you would buy cash from a bank.

That is what I thought, but she wouldn't sell me any. Maybe a website issue or maybe it is an RCI (not Celebrity issue), I have certainly bought OBC outside that time period for both cruise lines previously.

Edited by MicCanberra

That is what I was thinking, there is no hurry so I thought I would try again another time.

Don't leave it too long in case they revise their rate again. Our dollar has dropped again since I bought my OBC on Tuesday.

Don't leave it too long in case they revise their rate again. Our dollar has dropped again since I bought my OBC on Tuesday.

It appears it is a technical glitch as this time (different person) went to process the payment and could not. He is investigating as to why and will get back to me but at least it is on record that I wanted OBC. If RCI drops the rate further, I have a fighting chance of still getting the $0.78 rate. Will find out next week.

It appears it is a technical glitch as this time (different person) went to process the payment and could not. He is investigating as to why and will get back to me but at least it is on record that I wanted OBC. If RCI drops the rate further, I have a fighting chance of still getting the $0.78 rate. Will find out next week.

Fingers crossed for you. :)

Just booked a Celebrity cruise for Feb 2017, with gratuities paid it was a very well priced cruise of New Zealand and includes the drinks package.

So I have worked out that we won't need to spend on drinks, won't be doing any speciality restaurants, already have a Solstice ship's model, don't need any more bling, don't buy the photos and will do our own thing for excursions. So in reality my account should be $0 at the end of the cruise.

But thought I might need a little bit, so checked pre purchased OBC, now on the Solstice in February just gone, I paid $25 AUD and got $25 USD. Now the OBC is $32.50 that is a 70c in the dollar exchange rate - not very good. But if the dollar drops more, now might be the time to buy some.

That got me wondering, on our trips on HAL we purchased FCC for $200USD and if we didn't use it in 4 years it would be refunded. I wonder if they will give me back my $200 in USD, I might make a profit :)

Just booked a Celebrity cruise for Feb 2017, with gratuities paid it was a very well priced cruise of New Zealand and includes the drinks package.

So I have worked out that we won't need to spend on drinks, won't be doing any speciality restaurants, already have a Solstice ship's model, don't need any more bling, don't buy the photos and will do our own thing for excursions. So in reality my account should be $0 at the end of the cruise.

But thought I might need a little bit, so checked pre purchased OBC, now on the Solstice in February just gone, I paid $25 AUD and got $25 USD. Now the OBC is $32.50 that is a 70c in the dollar exchange rate - not very good. But if the dollar drops more, now might be the time to buy some.

That got me wondering, on our trips on HAL we purchased FCC for $200USD and if we didn't use it in 4 years it would be refunded. I wonder if they will give me back my $200 in USD, I might make a profit :)

I think the days of $ parity are gone for a long while and I hope that the current exchange that RCI and X are using of $0.78 will stay for a while longer as well. As for purchasing OBC for my X cruises, there was no issues and some of those were well 15 months away, (let alone 150 days that the RCI lady claimed this morning). As for your FCC, they should refund at the current exchange rate so you may make a bit there.:D

If you are flexible with your cruise options and find a cruise which is currently cheaper in USD than the Australian price booking with US TA allows you to hedge your bets a little.

I have a cruise booked with a US TA which required a $900 USD deposit and when I booked it the current US price even with the forex conversion was still far cheaper than the equivalent cruise booked in Australia. I also received free grats and $100 OBC (360 USD in total which is about 500 AUD) which is great for a lower priced inside cabin IMO.

If the AUD falls considerably making this price more expensive than the Aussie version I will just take advantage of the US conditions and cancel the cruise. I will then also get more back than the initial AUD amount for the deposit that I a paid.