Aussie Dollar

I booked a 3 nighter this morning using a certificate I was given from RCI because of an issue on a previous cruise. Thought I had better use it up in case our dollar drops further. The certificate covered most of the cruise costs and included $200 OBC.

I remember travelling in the US when the dollar was at 52 cents and thinking we had kicked a goal when it climbed to 76 cents. I bought a heap when it was $1.09 but I have been going through it. Oh well,can't take it with you.

Elaine.

Edited by Mothballs
forgot words

Good on you Les.

Use them or loose them.

I have only ever used local agents...and been really pleased with the deals we have got. The deals are there if you look for them and ask.:)

Re the dollar, just had friends back from 2 weeks in Honolulu. They booked a while ago and got cash when the dollar was high. They used all the cash they had converted except for $2.50 , so did not have to use the credit card once.

Thanks David and God Bless New Zealand as well.

When the dollar crashed to around .50c, we had most of a trip to Europe/America already booked.

I had one hotel in Turin left to book, so went from 4 star to 2 star, which included continental breakfast, shared bathroom. Ended up being one of the favourite places we stayed. Lesson well learned that you can continue to travel happily on a reduced budget.

I remember travelling in the US when the dollar was at 52 cents and thinking we had kicked a goal when it climbed to 76 cents. I bought a heap when it was $1.09 but I have been going through it. Oh well,can't take it with you.

Elaine.

Yes, we were in the US when it went to $0.47 back in 2000 or 2001, we have also enjoyed being there when it was $1.09, I know what I prefer.:D

Yes, we were in the US when it went to $0.47 back in 2000 or 2001, we have also enjoyed being there when it was $1.09, I know what I prefer.:D

We were also in the US in 2000 and living in NZ then and I remember the exchange rate being $0.39. Took our first cruise then on RC's Viking Serenade and ordered a drink which cost US $8. Did the calculations and after adding the tip it worked out to be around $21/$22. Made me think each time do I really want that glass of wine!

Edited by datone

That is longer term but in the shorter term they would be committed for the season and if the ships are not selling, they will try to fill them with lower prices to remain competitive. Then next season, they will not return with as many ships.

Incorrect. Did you miss my comment about it happening before? And also with ships that have come here.

Edited by The_Big_M

Now the AUD has dropped to 75 cents US, I don't see many people on here recently gloating about how they saved zillions by booking cruises with US T'A's. They drove me nuts in previous years. I support the Australian Travel Industry 100%. Give your kid a job.

God Bless Australia.

True. It was similar with all the comments about how RCL were so great, have the best drinks packages, and how cheap drinks are onboard.

Now it's complaints about how they are so expensive!

When in reality the actual price hasn't changed so much (although it has increased), it's just the currency effect.

I bought a heap when it was $1.09 but I have been going through it. Oh well,can't take it with you.

Elaine.

Well timed!

I did similar travelling in the US when the currency was in the 60s, more than once. Just the way things go.

Now the AUD has dropped to 75 cents US, I don't see many people on here recently gloating about how they saved zillions by booking cruises with US T'A's. They drove me nuts in previous years. I support the Australian Travel Industry 100%. Give your kid a job.

God Bless Australia.

I'll do as I always have. Continue to check the prices both here and in the USA and if (with conversion) the prices are close book with the US TA. Why. Because of the conditions (select cabin in same cat after gty allocation, price drops before finals, upgrades if even $1 higher cost after finals, ZERO cancellation fees before finals) and extra perks (almost always free grats plus usually extra OBC) I get.

In saying that there have far been better deals of late in Australia so my last 3 bookings have been here ( 2 directly with the CL one with a large online TA).

Happy to support the local economy but only when they are in the same ball park.

Do you feel the same about people who book directly with the cruise lines or book on board? Zero of that money goes to the Aussie travel industry so I see no difference.

When the dollar crashed to around .50c, we had most of a trip to Europe/America already booked.

I had one hotel in Turin left to book, so went from 4 star to 2 star, which included continental breakfast, shared bathroom. Ended up being one of the favourite places we stayed. Lesson well learned that you can continue to travel happily on a reduced budget.

I have done the same for our pre cruise and between cruise hotels in England, Sept/Oct/Nov, due to the AUD v GBP. Changed from the £100 per night fancy olde world country hotels to £35 a night pre paid Premier Inns on the outskirts of the towns. After all one only sleeps there and we have stayed in Premier Inns before, they are fine.

http://www.premierinn.com

Edited by NSWP

Anyway, Princess have just announced a full drinks package for Australia. $59 per person.

That makes RCI's Ultimate package at US $67pp (in March which converted to AU $86) look seriously overpriced.

Looks like Princess has made a very strategic call for the upcoming season.

Anyway, Princess have just announced a full drinks package for Australia. $59 per person.

That makes RCI's Ultimate package at US $67pp (in March which converted to AU $86) look seriously overpriced.

I just hope they put enough alcohol on board. I remember a certain Carnival Spirit on its first relocation downunder ran out.

RCL will have to start lowering their cabin fares to get people on their ships if the Australian dollar starts softening. Princess have been smart making all of their five Australian based ships in Australian dollars.

Confirms my theory..'The more you drink the more you save.'

So one can 'Escape Completely' and 'Come Back New' for a mere $59 per diem for booze.

Well done Princess Cruises as long as you don't serve up 'Chateau Cardboard and low strength beer to the Orstralians.

Edited by NSWP

They are looking better and better.:D

Confirms my theory..'The more you drink the more you save.'

So one can 'Escape Completely' and 'Come Back New' for a mere $59 per diem for booze.

Well done Princess Cruises as long as you don't serve up 'Chateau Cardboard and low strength beer to the Orstralians.

Nice theory, although it may make the cruise a bit of a blur.:eek:

It is a bit of a double edged sword at present. The Aussie market has been a large growth area for the cruise lines. The rising USD will curtail some on board spending I would guess on those ships that charge in USD. It will also lesson profits from on board spend on those who charge in AUD and on cruise fares purchased in AUD as the parent companies (which I guess almost certainly show their bottom lines in USD) and I guess the same things also apply in other effected currencies as well.

To increase or even peg profits that would require price rises which in turn may drive down bookings and/or spending.

Sure they can move ships but where to. If they move them to Europe then the same issues prevail and the ships sailing from here would have to go there in winter . Again winter in the USA with Caribbean cruises the only option but that market is saturated already. Asia is possible but there is already large increased inventory being sent there.

My guess is they will just sit pat and continue to do what they need to fill the ships here.

Edited by woodyren