Off 1st cruise......no sea sickness

hfj17002

We were on the carnival freedom last week. We are a family of 4. I was kinda worried about our cruise being ruined with someone getting sick. I bought about $50 worth of various things that were recommended on here. We ended up taking nothing. So, if your worried about it, don't be. Just take some stuff with you just in case. I understand everyone is diff though. Just thought I'd pass on our experience.

Glad no one got sea sick.

Hope you had a great cruise.

One thing to remember -- never eat anything greasy if you do start to feel sick -- eat green apples, drink tea and eat toast.

We have never gotten sea sick -- but some people we have met on the ship -- like crew -- told us about the above as it helps them.

Happy to hear that, as that is the fear of many. However I can assure you that you did not experience the kind of seas that differentiate "those that do, those that might, and those that don't" get sea sick.

Google "beaufort scale". and look at the wind and sea levels. I went to afternoon tea in a packed Queens room on QE2, the ship was in force 12 seas. We were all fine. The chart below only shows force 11! :cool:

Just understand that the mother mature you experienced is not all there is.

wind-at-sea.jpg

I personally think when going on a first cruise if you do not get sick in cars/coaches and have been on ferries and not suffered any sea sickness in the past. A reasonable strategy is to get remedies on board from the shop because you will probably find you need nothing.

Regards John

Thanks! We only felt the ship really rock when we crossed the area between Mexico & Cuba. We were on deck 11 & it was windy, dinning was 3 floor in aft. The waiter told us to make sure we ate breakfast. The seas were pretty calm, someone on here described the gulf as being a big pond. I had to return all the motion meds, gum, ginger for a refund.

I'm glad you didn't have problems!

I usually do, so I wear sea bands and take dramamine along with me just in case. I've never actually needed the dramamine, but I'd rather have it ready and waiting than be scrambling for it when I'm really sick.

For me it was the 'after' cruise 'world shifting' feelings - on and off for 3-5 days.... I take MeclaZine 25mg before-during-after to prevent that (it works!!!) and then if seas rough I'm covered!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! We only felt the ship really rock when we crossed the area between Mexico & Cuba. We were on deck 11 & it was windy, dinning was 3 floor in aft. The waiter told us to make sure we ate breakfast. The seas were pretty calm, someone on here described the gulf as being a big pond. I had to return all the motion meds, gum, ginger for a refund.

Don't get complacent, though. I've cruised out of Port Canaveral with the ship rocking so bad you had to hold the walls in order to make your way down the corridors. That was due to Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. In 2008 we were leaving Skagway and an incoming storm had us doing the same thing. The first one didn't bother me so much, but the second one sent me to bed and I was wearing my seabands AND I took a Bonine. Apparently I wasn't the only one feeling that way.

I think most people don't get seasick on your average cruises. I'm not one of the lucky ones, I get motion sickness on a merry-go-round, just the thought of it makes me dizzy. Like right now. *woozy* :eek: So I make sure to use the patch.

If you're prone to motion sickness, bring/use something to counteract that. If you're not, don't worry about it.

Yay !!! I'm happy to hear you didn't need the medications, etc., but don't forget to bring them next time. You never know when it will hit, and if / when it does, you will be prepared.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I think a lot of people think they're going to be seasick, but few of them really are. My wife was almost positive she'd be queasy on our first "test cruise." Nothing happened, so we took 11 more.

Now, a bunch of our cruises are in forward cabins. They're the diciest for seasickness, but also the cheapest.

Nothing wrong with drinking some ginger ale, but most people won't need more than that.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49