Magic Kingdom Excursion..Is it worth the money???

takeadip

Years ago my son and I got a package deal through American Airlines. I'm not sure if they still do this.

We stayed for 1 week in an off campus hotel, near Wet & Wild, in Orlando. Bus transportation to and from the property was provided. We saw Disney World at a leisurly pace, Kennedy Space Center, Sea World, and Busch Gardens.

I don't think that the NCL Disney Deal is great for first-timers. Too much to see, too little time.

We've done this excursion a few times and we cruised in October every time...It's not worth it . We are a family of 5 and we spent almost $800.00 doing it !! I'm a Disney fan as well as my kids.. My husband goes kicking and screaming.. Lol.. The bus doesn't get you there until close to 2:00pm and the absolute last bus to return is 7:00pm.. The parks close earlier in the fall too. I would suggest you do something else, it's way too stressful to do this excursion while in Port Canaveral.. We now just do Cocoa Beach.

Hello All,

Me (39) wife (36) and son (6) are doing the breakaway (7 day) on Mar 6 2016 and considering doing Magic Kingdom Excursion...Full disclosure..My wife and I are not Disney People..the long lines..strollers..people..craziness..spending the day standing on hot pavement...is not our idea of a vacation...so we would never book a full week at Disney for that reason...then we saw this excursion as a possible way to expose our son to the "Magic" but is that enough time to be there...i would hate to pay all that money and only have time to get on 5 rides...we would not buy a fast pass because the cost is a bit high for us but we are looking for advice from people who actually went on this excursion and would they do it again if had the choice..as a second option we thought the Kennedy space Station tour may be fun... please help!!! lol

Also...we are first time NCL cruisers (princess 8 times) so we are excited to go on Breakaway so any tips would be appreciated..

-Mark

Don't do it. Based on your circumstances you simply do not have enough time at the Magic Kingdom. That week is the start of spring break when the parks begin to get busy. For someone who has never been it is simply overwhelming.

Both of my children participated in the college program at WDW, so I have literally spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours at the parks. Someone who has never been cannot begin to get the experience in a short day, which is what an excursion day would be, and your 6 year old is going to want to go until he drops.

I completely agree on the general consensus about WDW. Not near enough time. However, for those that said 6 was too young for the Kennedy Space Center, I disagree. Our youngest was right around 6 when we did it and he loved it, maybe more so than our older kids (10 and 12 at the time). Rockets? What six yr old wouldn't love that? The tour of the vehicle assembly building, the Apollo launch pads on the beach, the rocket garden. All of it was fascinating. The bus ride (on the grounds) was loads of fun as the host pointed out all kinds of wildlife along the way including crocodiles and snakes. I don't think this is in any way over a 6 yo's head. Really give that one some serious thought. There was truly something for all us on that adventure.

Also, if and when you do decide to do Disney, I would highly recommend staying on site in one of their hotels. The All-Star ones are very reasonable. The benefit to us was mid afternoon, when the kids started getting really tired and cranky, we could hop the Disney shuttle (which run continuously between the parks and the hotels) and let the kids lay down for a bit and then head back later for the parades and fireworks. There really is no getting around the crowds as it has become a year round place to visit. However, it is really something special in the summer because of the electric parade and fireworks after dark. In the winter and early spring, it doesn't stay open as late and you miss these things. Also, those staying on site in Disney hotels, get to enter the parks on certain days about two hours earlier than the general public. This can make all the difference in the world in wait times.

I'll tell the experience we had at WDW with our 6 year old granddaughter a couple years ago. We decided to stay in Orlando for a few days post cruise, bought tickets to the Magic Kingdom only just to give her a small taste of WDW, we were there in mid February and not during any holiday period.

She was ok for the first couple hours, but started melting down pretty fast after that, the lines for EVERYTHING were huge, anywhere between 30 min to 1.5 hours, we waited in line 45 minutes to buy lunch, there were 15 minute lines in the bathroom (an usually a 6 year old tells you when they have to go NOW not in a few minutes) she just could not handle the lines and we ended up leaving before the electric parade because she was exhausted. At one point we were sitting near the castle and the princesses all came out, she was so excited, she asked if she could go and see them, I said sure can honey but - thats the line - she looked at the giant line and said, hmmm I can see them from here I guess, she just didnt have it in her to wait in another line.

We have decided that in another year or so, when shes older, we will STAY in WDW and let her enjoy the parks when we can all go back to swim or rest in our room, just spending the day at Magic Kingdom with a 6 year old was not really all that magical.

As for the characters, she waited in line for 40 minutes to meet Minnie, one of the workers walked her over to minnie, they took a photo and another led her away while the first worker brought another child over, there wasnt any time to spend with the characters, she was pretty disappointed, we'll try again but when shes older.

Edited by kelly11

I'll tell the experience we had at WDW with our 6 year old granddaughter a couple years ago. We decided to stay in Orlando for a few days post cruise, bought tickets to the Magic Kingdom only just to give her a small taste of WDW, we were there in mid February and not during any holiday period.

She was ok for the first couple hours, but started melting down pretty fast after that, the lines for EVERYTHING were huge, anywhere between 30 min to 1.5 hours, we waited in line 45 minutes to buy lunch, there were 15 minute lines in the bathroom (an usually a 6 year old tells you when they have to go NOW not in a few minutes) she just could not handle the lines and we ended up leaving before the electric parade because she was exhausted. At one point we were sitting near the castle and the princesses all came out, she was so excited, she asked if she could go and see them, I said sure can honey but - thats the line - she looked at the giant line and said, hmmm I can see them from here I guess, she just didnt have it in her to wait in another line.

We have decided that in another year or so, when shes older, we will STAY in WDW and let her enjoy the parks when we can all go back to swim or rest in our room, just spending the day at Magic Kingdom with a 6 year old was not really all that magical.

As for the characters, she waited in line for 40 minutes to meet Minnie, one of the workers walked her over to minnie, they took a photo and another led her away while the first worker brought another child over, there wasnt any time to spend with the characters, she was pretty disappointed, we'll try again but when shes older.

The third week in February is presidents week, so very busy. Honestly, Disney has learned how to pack them in all year round, and one really does have to do a lot of research to make it fun.

We have done this cruise twice and both times rented a car (they have s shuttle to offsite rental company)and drove to Downtown Disney. They are expanding the area and there are fun things to do and great places to eat. You get the a taste of the Disney experience without going to a park which there is not enough time for.

Hi Leo,

i dont have the link but its 189 pp and 149pp child for 8 hours...total. 1 hour each way for transportation so essentially 6 hrs to do park. which is our struggle...there is a fast pass option but it would be even more money...

thanks for help.

Without the "fast pass" 5 rides might be optimistic unless you stick to the small kids rides in Fantasyland. If you want the magic, spend the "big bucks" or go to the Space center instead. For a day trip I would choose the Space Center. I'd save Orlando for another visit when you have more time.

If you go to WDW, you've got to bring out your "inner child" :Dor you won't have a good time and your kid will pick-up on it. My grown up kids still talk about some of our family trips to Disneyland and WDW.:)

just got back from carnival cruise and did magic kingdom excursion... not worth it at all unless your rich and dont care about spending 180$ a person for a few hours at disney

a few hours at disney = 2 or 3 rides, quick lunch, and watch the beginning of the parade then have to rush to the bus

It's not worth the cost for that little bit of time. You really need a full week...then, the "crowds and lines" won't be such a factor. I would wait until your son is about 8, tho...that's when they really get the "Magic" that is Disney! Go in "off" season (not summer or holidays) and the lines are fast and crowds aren't a problem. Take your kid out of school and do it...it's worth it!

You will be spending more time on transportation on the excursion, than in the park. Once you get to the parking lot, it's about another 30 mins. before you get INTO the actual park! 1 partial day is NOT enough.

You must not have been to Disney lately. In the last few years, there has been no "off-season" at Disney. Crowds and long lines every month of the year now. For the most part, foreigners have filled in the gaps.

Edited by Out to sea!

[quote name='takeadip']Hi Leo,
i dont have the link but its 189 pp and 149pp child for 8 hours...total. 1 hour each way for transportation so essentially 6 hrs to do park. which is our struggle...there is a fast pass option but it would be even more money...

thanks for help.[/quote]

We are Disney people and even going on your own, it would not be worth it. You are paying almost $200 for the transportation alone, you won't have enough time in the park to appreciate it (even with a smaller crowd) and Disney does not sell Fast Passes. If someone is trying to charge you for them, they are ripping you off.