New amenities added to our cruise and some can get them and some can't?

kazu

as per gigianne's post further down, it is NOT a function of the TA. she spoke to O directly. Apparently my TA formed a group and this is the "reason" she (gigianne) was given by O.

Not being privy to all the info gigianne has received from O, my comment is that group bookings usually already have PPG and some OBC (at least group booking with my TA do).

Not being privy to all the info gigianne has received from O, my comment is that group bookings usually already have PPG and some OBC (at least group booking with my TA do).

Mine also

Mine also

To clarify, that is what gigianne was told. If my TA has me on a group booking (and that might have happened after - my TA for another line will tell me she will try to form a group and see) that was after I booked. I got nothing when I booked other than a great price, good service and prepaid gratuities.

Ironically, what came with the "group" booking that was referenced to gigianne is exactly the same as the current promo.

I am NOT complaining ;) just trying to clarify.

We now have two of our roll call getting it and a bunch that aren't. Go figure.

I am a happy camper obviously :)

I as impressed though that someone from O called gigianne. That is a good thing IMO.

Edited by kazu

To clarify, that is what gigianne was told. If my TA has me on a group booking (and that might have happened after - my TA for another line will tell me she will try to form a group and see) that was after I booked. I got nothing when I booked other than a great price, good service and prepaid gratuities.

Ironically, what came with the "group" booking that was referenced to gigianne is exactly the same as the current promo.

I am NOT complaining ;) just trying to clarify.

We now have two of our roll call getting it and a bunch that aren't. Go figure.

It is a mysterious world at Oceania :D

I have already done my rant several time so will not repeat it again

I am with you on the unfairness of it all

Lyn

I believe I've read posts by you where you get an additional OBC in lieu of PPG when you book a cruise that already has it with the YWOS promo or if your TA has it with group amenities. Then you get another bonus for your Silver level. So triple dipping on some cruises.

Although I'm not Silver yet(real soon) I have been in situations where I have been able to double dip. i.e. getting additional OBC in lieu of the PPG.

My question is why isn't Gigianne getting anything additional as this seems to be basically the same thing?

I am on the Nov TA. I had originally booked a C1 and when Oceania announced the July 4th upgrades changed to a b1 at no additional cost. When Oceania announced the latest perks I tried to get them with the B1 but was told they could not combine them. I then changed back to the c1 at the original cost and got the new perks.

I have always been able to get Oceania new perks when they are announced but I do have to find them myself and then have the travel agent handle the changes.

O Life promotion is veranda or higher. What are you referring to?

Just guessing

Beachwalker must mean the Last Call perks as they are on the Nov TA

The O life program does not start until 2016 sailings

I guess I am letting go of this more slowly then I want to. It boggles my mind that some are getting these extras as part of the last chance sale - and others are not. Is this a case of the haves and have nots? I was told it all rests with your TA - and in reading beachwalker262's post and others before I am starting to believe it! Unfortunately, on this cruise - I am one of the nave nots! Good on those who have TAs that go to bat for them!

I believe I've read posts by you where you get an additional OBC in lieu of PPG when you book a cruise that already has it with the YWOS promo or if your TA has it with group amenities. Then you get another bonus for your Silver level. So triple dipping on some cruises.

Although I'm not Silver yet(real soon) I have been in situations where I have been able to double dip. i.e. getting additional OBC in lieu of the PPG.

My question is why isn't Gigianne getting anything additional as this seems to be basically the same thing?

ORV,

You are correct. You can double and even triple dip on PPG which become OBC.

The second PPG has a full value in OBC only for those who were Silver (and above) prior to 12/31/13; otherwise it is $250-$300. The third PPG is never full amount of PPG - it is reduced even for the"Silvers" to OBC in the $250-$300 range.

I do not know why gigianne and some others are not receiving any additional perks. As I speculated above, some other factors/conditions may be in play.

Edited by Paulchili

I am happy to see that those of you who have cruised on Oceania and know the ropes are siding with us newbies on this. Thank you it makes me feel a bit better.

Edited by gigianne

I am on the Nov TA. I had originally booked a C1 and when Oceania announced the July 4th upgrades changed to a b1 at no additional cost. When Oceania announced the latest perks I tried to get them with the B1 but was told they could not combine them. I then changed back to the c1 at the original cost and got the new perks.

I have always been able to get Oceania new perks when they are announced but I do have to find them myself and then have the travel agent handle the changes.

glad to see someone else was successful.

It sure is a mystery.

I did find this myself (O keeps emailing me ;) ) so they make it easy.

I noticed this discussion revolves around a cruise over Thanksgiving. Historically I get astounding cruise offers late in the booking season for this time frame. Many of us pass on the deals 100 per cent of the time because we revere this family holiday.

Basic consumerism is involved with some historical pricing givens. Domestic airfare pricing peaks Thanksgiving week, book early to secure seats and get the schedule you want. Cruise demand is weak over Thanksgiving, pricing is very soft so book late to get your best deal. Sometimes I luck into extra perks and discounts, sometimes I don't.

I noticed this discussion revolves around a cruise over Thanksgiving. Historically I get astounding cruise offers late in the booking season for this time frame. Many of us pass on the deals 100 per cent of the time because we revere this family holiday.

Basic consumerism is involved with some historical pricing givens. Domestic airfare pricing peaks Thanksgiving week, book early to secure seats and get the schedule you want. Cruise demand is weak over Thanksgiving, pricing is very soft so book late to get your best deal. Sometimes I luck into extra perks and discounts, sometimes I don't.

thanks sammiedawg. Good points.

Remember we are Canadians :eek: (at least gigianne and I are along with wcc19 who reported here). With the forecast for the US $ vs Cdn $, I booked and paid early. So waiting until the last minute would have been wiped out with an exchange rate of over 30%.

Frankly when we booked American Thanksgiving did not even dawn on me. I was looking at the timing for a land tour we are doing on our own and itinerary.

Your theory works great if you are American and dealing in your currency. We Canadians are taking a hard hit, so we have to evaluate exchange rates as well. For those coming on final payment that haven't paid, not granting the amenity that is there for anyone coming on now (before final payment) just adds insult to injury.

Written as the Canadian dollar drops some more - grrrrr.

I think you are missing the point perks were added to the cruise but not everyone gets them

Thanksgiving or not has no relevance in the issue

I feel your pain :mad:

My USD stash is depleted :eek:

Now I must bite the bullet if I want to cruise in the near future .... just pay the piper & enjoy life

Lyn

I feel your pain :mad:

My USD stash is depleted :eek:

Now I must bite the bullet if I want to cruise in the near future .... just pay the piper & enjoy life

Lyn

I truly feel your pain as well Lyn as my US $ account is depleted too.

I will bite that bullet and my cruise was paid last August - sadly, I was right in my guess but I didn't think it would get to be this bad.

and I agree, there might be sales at Thanksgiving, but this is before final payment. Perks are perks and O has had some of our money for nearly a year. If this was after final payment, it's a horse of a different colour.

Thanks for understanding :)

Edited by kazu

I think you are missing the point perks were added to the cruise but not everyone gets them

Thanksgiving or not has no relevance in the issue

There was discussion upthread that some thought they got the best pricing booking early.

Cruise pricing is enormously complex and I've never looked at it as a fairness issue. A friend of mine books cruises and Is the first to say no two cases are the same. Discount codes, promotional codes, geographic codes, group codes, past passenger codes exist. Some codes expire, some codes are combinable and some are not. Passengers in different states pay different prices if a cruise line is targeting a market. We've taken a few family cruises and I paid for everyone, booking all cabins at the same time with the same agent. I paid less for the same cabin category for DS and DIL because they live in a targeted city and state. I still get erroneous emails targeting me for special discounts as a New York resident because I paid New York rates for someone. Some TAs rebate or discount up front but they don't send flowers or wine to the cabin. Some TAs charge more but send onboard gifts. Oceania air pricing varies based on your home airport, it's just the way it is.

Sometimes an agent is able to add perks to my booking, sometimes not.

I don't begin to understand how to play currencies. I'm thankful the American dollar is strong but it hasn't always been that way for us either.

Kazu - like you, I only realized a minute ago upon reading this that we would be sailing over Thanksgiving. And I'm usually smarter than that as I avoid US Thanksgiving like the plague because there can sometimes be hordes of kids. Fortunately that should not be an issue on this cruise.

I bought my US dollars for this holiday last year and have them set aside for final payment date. Just have to see if there is enough in the fund to cover the beverage package - still thinking about that.

There was discussion upthread that some thought they got the best pricing booking early.

I don't begin to understand how to play currencies. I'm thankful the American dollar is strong but it hasn't always been that way for us either.

I could be wrong (and I often am) but I don't recall when the U.S. currency was down by 35 cents.

The benefit you have is that O wants payment in U.S. $. that's your currency.

Right now, if a Canadian pays via credit card, it is pretty DAM close to $1.35 exchange rate. That's not chicken feed. At least not to me.

I could be wrong (and I often am) but I don't recall when the U.S. currency was down by 35 cents.

The benefit you have is that O wants payment in U.S. $. that's your currency.

Right now, if a Canadian pays via credit card, it is pretty DAM close to $1.35 exchange rate. That's not chicken feed. At least not to me.

My sympathies, I remember when the two dollars were roughly equivalent.

If it makes you feel better I was in London years ago when the pound cost $2.10, we once had a one hundred dollar breakfast at the Marriott County Hall and it wasn't even a full buffet.

My sympathies, I remember when the two dollars were roughly equivalent.

If it makes you feel better I was in London years ago when the pound cost $2.10, we once had a one hundred dollar breakfast at the Marriott County Hall and it wasn't even a full buffet.

I remember that all too well. and when on day three I found a restaurant that offered breakfast fo 20 pounds I thought it was bargai:eek:

Our breakfast in Athens on the first Med was over $100. Sadly we couldn't just get coffee. grrrr.

Needless to say the TA that recommended that hotel is not in use anymore and now I do my own research.

Life is painful sometimes when you get surprised, but we are all lucky we can cruise :)