Movie Theaters...?

One of the things I love about the Radiance Class is that they have a true movie theater. I love that small compact stadium seating theater. The movies are usually boring but I still love the fact that the option is there. I never saw one on any other RCCL ship class.

What are your thoughts on ships having a true movie theater? Not sharing time with the main stage theater, but a true movie theater... I really love that little nook of a cinema on Radiance class and if I had any say I would still try to make room for them on future ships too.

So, your thoughts?

One of the things I love about the Radiance Class is that they have a true movie theater. I love that small compact stadium seating theater. The movies are usually boring but I still love the fact that the option is there. I never saw one on any other RCCL ship class.

What are your thoughts on ships having a true movie theater? Not sharing time with the main stage theater, but a true movie theater... I really love that little nook of a cinema on Radiance class and if I had any say I would still try to make room for them on future ships too.

So, your thoughts?

We really enjoy the theater last month on the Brilliance and Serenade especially on TA's. :)

Hardly boring movies showing last month were:

American Sniper..had to get there an hour before to get a seat.

Fury...another true story which was excellent.

St. Vincent which we really enjoyed. Whole theater stayed for the roll call at the end:eek:

When ever we are on a Radiance class ship we always check out what movies are on board.

Would love to see a theater on all RCCL ships.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

I don't know... I don't really see the value. I don't cruise to see a movie. I can get that experience at home most likely better than I can on the ship. With that being said, if it was there I would not have problems with it. There are plenty of other things to do aboard for me.

I thought I read that there were movie theaters on the voyager class ships? I never noticed it when I sailed on them before but now that I know, I would definitely watch a movie in there with a piña colada on a sea day, although with the outdoor movie screen, I'd choose the poolside movie first and the theater movie second.

I don't know... I don't really see the value. I don't cruise to see a movie. I can get that experience at home most likely better than I can on the ship. With that being said, if it was there I would not have problems with it. There are plenty of other things to do aboard for me.

On cruises with a large number of sea days, having movies, especially in a venue such as the Cinemas on Radiance class ships is one more way to fill your day or evening. On our most recent cruises the selection of movies has been a step above what we have been used to seeing, perhaps due to a preponderance of good films over the past year. When we are at home we rarely go out to the movies given the outrageous prices that are being charged and seeing a movie on a large movie screen is certainly much more enjoyable than watching it on even a big screen TV, let alone a tablet or other electronic device.

We really enjoy the theater last month on the Brilliance and Serenade especially on TA's. :)

Hardly boring movies showing last month were:

American Sniper..had to get there an hour before to get a seat.

Fury...another true story which was excellent.

St. Vincent which we really enjoyed. Whole theater stayed for the roll call at the end:eek:

When ever we are on a Radiance class ship we always check out what movies are on board.

Would love to see a theater on all RCCL ships.

That is a great selection!

Voyager class had a screening room too, but they are being removed as the ships go into dry dock.

Voyager class had a screening room too, but they are being removed as the ships go into dry dock.

Hi Bob

Do you know if this is the case with Explorer already? We are sailing on her from Barcelona to Dubai in October and I really liked the screening rooms on that class of ship.

Hi Bob

Do you know if this is the case with Explorer already? We are sailing on her from Barcelona to Dubai in October and I really liked the screening rooms on that class of ship.

I believe it's gone on EX. The deck plan does not show it anymore.

What about Liberty of the Seas? Not counting the outside screen. What is available movie wise? Leaving in 20 days!!!

I believe Liberty has 3D movies in the main theater.

Hi Bob

Yes it has gone and now the outsdide desk is for either future cruises or loyalty ambassador cannot remember which.

And the theatre itself is now extra cabins.

Edited by Missus Makkem

So, your thoughts?

Personally I think that space could be put to better use than a movie theater that is only used a few hours per day buy a small number of people. Most people don't go on a cruise to watch movies.

Edited by Cuizer2

Personally I think that space could be put to better use than a movie theater that is only used a few hours per day buy a small number of people. Most people don't go on a cruise to watch movies.

It only holds 45 people so it is not huge and I have attended lectures in the Cinema, they could use it for anything they want.

Strangely enough I never get the chance to go to the Cinema at home and it is something I always look forward to either on sea days or when we get back onboard.

Fils are usually shown 4 times a day so depending on their length it does get used every day.

They no longer seem to show films on the cabin TV apart from TCM

So, your thoughts?

The Cinema is one of the many reasons that the Radiance Class ships are my favorite in RCI's fleet. It is nice having a dedicated venue, as the main theater is set up more for stage productions than movies.

The Freedom Class (and I'm assuming Voyager Class as well) used to have small theaters down near the conference center, but they did not have stadium seating. I think they have all been removed, and are now marked as crew-only areas.

BTW: I like your SGC2C avatar, I always loved that show.

Edited by DarthGrady

But it is a great way to relax. I enjoy movies on the ships, but that is why there are so many different things to do. Not everyone likes the same activities.

I thought I read that there were movie theaters on the voyager class ships? I never noticed it when I sailed on them before but now that I know, I would definitely watch a movie in there with a piña colada on a sea day, although with the outdoor movie screen, I'd choose the poolside movie first and the theater movie second.

It depends on which Voyager class ship you are on. Three of the five have had their theaters(which were tiny and crappy) removed IRC. The other two will have theirs removed next time they are in dry dock. All of them will end up like Voyager and Navigator at some point. I believe Adventure is the next in line to gets its Navigator like makeover. Hopefully it ends up a mirror image of Navigator in terms of Sabor, Chops, and Izumi.

Edited by wreckem2013

As to how many people watch films on a cruise - plenty. Any ship I have been on that has a theater is always nearly full regardless of what is screened.

I agree. We tried twice to see a movie last August on Serenade, went down about 15-20 minutes early. It was packed.