If Breakaway does not stop at GSC due to weather?

takeadip

If BA does not stop at Great Stirrup Cay do you get a credit of some sort? I have read that sometimes the cruise ship will not stop due to high waves/ storms..etc..so do the passengers get compensated...i remember on a princess ship they used to do that...

-Mark

One of my favorite stops. Only missed it once in 5 or so times. Sometimes they will switch port days to get to GSC but that must be rare these days due to port traffic. We will be going back next summer. Hope the weather will be good. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

missed GSC couple years ago on the Pearl. Turned into sea day. Port fees were credited back at $18/person.

Normally, then the decision isn't until "the day of" it will be another "at sea day". Per above you will be refunded your port fees.

Happily, when the weather/water conditions are too bad to go there, you would not have enjoyed it anyway. :)

LuLu

Last year on the Breakaway we had to bypass GSC and instead docked in Nassau late afternoon for an overnight. We had to wait for a Carnival ship to leave and then docked where they had been. We got no credit.

Last March we missed GSC when on BA. They had new Dailies updated by noon. Sailed very slowly to Nassau and got there at 6 p.m. No credit of any kind.

They opened up shops. Don't recall much else of what they added/changed.

I'm guessing that if you pass GSC and go then to the Bahamas, no refund because the port charges are then due for Nassau port and docking. I imagine NCL does pay the Bahamian Govt fees for GSC since it is in Bamana territory.

I think that I'd rather go to Key West instead of GSC.

I think it depends on the weather because Key West is a better driving destination because of the sunset and nightlife.

Last time we were on GSC in 2013, it was the exact time of the very bad winter storm on US east coast and the winds were bad/cold really south too, so even though we made it to GSC the beach experience wasn't nearly as nice a it could have been - if we hadn't had the cabana, I would probably been back to the ship in less than half an hour.

So that day I'd have much rather spent in Key West - but on a day of no clouds/winds and hot sun a beach break defeats any city - even as nice as Key West. :)

OTOH, our first visit to Key West was a scheduled port call in 2011 (too bad they don't have itineraries like that anymore) and while it was a very hot day and we were very quickly completely exhausted and that dampened the experience, we really got hooked on the city and without that spark we probably would not have driven there from Miami couple of times after - and are planning to drive down there again next January.

We are 11 for 13 at making GSC so I think they make it there more often than one might think after reading this NCL board. The 2 times we missed we just had a sea day and got no credit of any kind. They did reprint the Freestyle Daily and promoted it was available at Guest Services.

Edited by P&Lcruising

I think that I'd rather go to Key West instead of GSC.

In all fairness we have not been to GSC since the upgrades but we would always stay on board the ship and take advantage of the quietness and NO chair hogs.

We actually do this on a lot of Caribbean cruises because we've been to the ports so many times. For us it's about beating some winter weather.

I don't think there are port fees, NCL "owns" the island.

Did anyone get compensated if they missed GSC? There wouldn't be port fees.

I own my house but I still pay property taxes and I'm sure that is the case with NCL and I'm sure that they pass those taxes on to those visiting GSC (just as a landlord will pass on the property taxes in someone's rent). Whether that gets refunded or not depends on a great many things.