Pier 27, San Francisco & Porters

trbarton

Here's and update about pier 27 in San Francisco. I was there today for a BVE on the Golden and when I left I talked with one of the port workers as I have heard stories about porters strong arming people about tips when people are dropping off their luggage. He said today was a real mess. The port staff made arrangements to have one of the luggage bins available where you could take your luggage and he said that the 15 porters were really pissed off and staged a slow down which caused a lot of problems. He agreed with me that the port officials needed to do something about it. So the saga with the porters in San Francisco continues.

Tom😎

I would be amazed if that particular bin didn't "accidentally" fall into the Bay. ;)

Just one of the reasons why, although I only live 90 minutes from SF, I prefer to drive 6 hours to San Pedro.

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

What a shame. I sure hope they get it worked out in the next 10 days. We board on the 21st. Wish I could learn to pack lighter so I could just carry my luggage aboard.

Edited by jrobinso

Strange, I was there today having lunch at Pier 23 right next door. My husband and I took a walk by the ship twice and didn't see any problems with the porters picking up luggage. They were doing everything just as they should and nothing looked out of place or backed up luggage-wise.

We did see something a bit odd around 2:30 as there was a line of people (some with and some without luggage) entering into the building from the left side instead of the right side where the escalator is that takes people upstairs to the security lines. I thought that they might have been part of a large travel group.

The ship left on time - 4:30, I believe.

Hi there

My DH and I went to San Francisco today to see the new pier 27 terminal (Outside of it anyways). We sail on the Grand in November. The San Francisco symphony was performing a free concert there today and there were a zillion people. I have a question since you have been inside. Where do you drop off your luggage? Is it on the side where all the taxi's and buses drop people off? Or ? Thank You.

Edited by cruiselvr1
Needed to add some information

Hi there

My DH and I went to San Francisco today to see the new pier 27 terminal (Outside of it anyways). We sail on the Grand in November. The San Francisco symphony was performing a free concert there today and there were a zillion people. I have a question since you have been inside. Where do you drop off your luggage? Is it on the side where all the taxi's and buses drop people off? Or ? Thank You.

When we took the Star last Feb. there were no problems and the porters were very accommodating and friendly. They were right where the taxis and personal cars were dropping folks off. The guy took ours from our car in the farthest lane from the building and put it on a cart. It was in the room by about 1600 hrs. No problems, no hassles, all was good.:D

Having experience a porter(longshoreman) strike at pier 27 in the past I certainly hope they are not doing another slowdown . It was absolutely awful with a whole crate of luggage going into the water and about a 6 hour delay in sailing. However after they got a new contract everything was back to normal. They get paid very well and with a new contract they should not have any complaints what so ever. So I do hope this was just a one day problem.

Hi there

Either side works fine but you will have to decide which side is less crowded. Just look for the porters. They all wear brightly colored vests.

What is the best way to guarantee that your luggage arrives on the ship

Smile at, and say thank you to, the porter; with or without a tip.

On one cruise I had given all my loose dollars, and there wasn't too many of those, to the bell man at the hotel before leaving for the ship. So upon arriving I didn't have any money to tip the porter. I explained my predicament to the porter and he said" don't worry about it". Of course his response/attitude might have been based upon my being a senior citizen with a walker.

Edited by Treven

We're getting a free bus ride from Sacramento to SF from our TA so all of our luggage will be offloaded from the bus and we won't have to deal with anything but our carry-on. Reading that the porters are acting up again I am suddenly very glad we won't have to deal with them this time.

We're getting a free bus ride from Sacramento to SF from our TA so all of our luggage will be offloaded from the bus and we won't have to deal with anything but our carry-on. Reading that the porters are acting up again I am suddenly very glad we won't have to deal with them this time.

We are taking a Princess transit from the airport to the terminal. I am guess our scenario is similar to yours.

Question: Does Princess tip the porters since you pay for the transit? Is that included in the price? :confused:

We always come prepared with bills to tip luggage handlers.

Never been strong armed to give a tip, just do it because I prefer to tip them. At hotels tip, airport etc.

Totally agree with you. We prefer to tip also. I always wonder tho, how much my luggage has really cost me. LOL

We are taking a Princess transit from the airport to the terminal. I am guess our scenario is similar to yours.

Question: Does Princess tip the porters since you pay for the transit? Is that included in the price? :confused:

I have no idea but, since I won't be interacting with the porters I don't care at all. The porters make very good money and shouldn't be getting a tip at all. Do you get tipped at work for doing your job? It's not like they are wait staff in a restaurant where tips are figured into their salary. The porters are union employees with good pay and benefits. Being expected to tip under those circumstances is insane.

What is the best way to guarantee that your luggage arrives on the ship

The "luggage in the bay" story is greatly exaggerated. I have never had trouble with any porter at SF. I generally give them $1 a bag, and they always smile and say thank you.

I have no idea but, since I won't be interacting with the porters I don't care at all. The porters make very good money and shouldn't be getting a tip at all. Do you get tipped at work for doing your job? It's not like they are wait staff in a restaurant where tips are figured into their salary. The porters are union employees with good pay and benefits. Being expected to tip under those circumstances is insane.

While I agree with you, I will still tip, just in case. Don't want my suitcase end up on another ship, or ripped, or...

We will be sailing on the Golden from San Francisco at the end of the month. I need to make a reservation for car service back to SFO for a mid afternoon flight, so no rush. Can anyone tell me if they think 930am pick up would be good. We don't want to rush (no need to) but don't know how late Princess will let us stay on board. Does anyone have a recommendation for a private transportation company?

I too have to disagree with you. We have always tipped the porters, no matter what port we have sailed from. I've never seen their paycheck so have no idea on how much they make or what their family circumstances are but we feel it's just a good gesture to show them that what they are doing for us is greatly appreciated. We also tip the wait, bar staff, plus our room steward.

The luggage in the bay incident did happen, but is hardly a common occurrence nor something that people need to fret about. That being said, I sailed out of SF in April of 2014 from the old pier. We handed two pieces of luggage over to the porter and gave him a tip of $4.00. He grumbled, very loudly, that it wasn't even enough to buy lunch. If I could have, I would have yanked that money out of his hand. I am well over 50 years old and tip what I can if it's earned. I have never had anyone say something like this. BTW, he rolled our luggage no more than 5 feet and placed them on a large cart. That was the extent of his service. I will just assume he was a rude malcontent and leave it at that.

There are nice, friendly and helpful porters.

Then there are the not so friendly rude ones.

So far at pier 35 and 27 we've had great

service from the porters we've had.

Yes I tip but they don't know I will till

after the service. Whatever I've gave them

they been happy with and never said a word

except thank you.

So don't worry.

... That being said, I sailed out of SF in April of 2014 from the old pier. We handed two pieces of luggage over to the porter and gave him a tip of $4.00. He grumbled, very loudly, that it wasn't even enough to buy lunch. If I could have, I would have yanked that money out of his hand. I am well over 50 years old and tip what I can if it's earned. I have never had anyone say something like this...

And if you multiply your $4 by the number of people he "serviced" that day he could easily have afforded to have lunch at Fisherman's Grotto Number 9 on the wharf, AND left a nice tip!

Edited by Treven