Christmas presents for crew

chefestelle

1. I don't give crew gifts at any time. don't give the waiter at the restaurant or the server at McDonald's a gift.

2. If I give the crew anything it is:

a. Cash [they don't need nick nacks cluttering up their small room]

b. A positive mention in my post cruise survey.

Serendipity1499, thanks for posting the link. Those were the same envelopes I ordered. What a deal, 50 beautiful Gold Embossed Envelopes for less than $5 AND free shipping! Fellow passengers, spread the word and we can establish a HAL tradition!

To the OP I think it's a very nice thing to include the crew in your holiday customs and I'm sure they will appreciate what ever you choose.

I would never be offended by a Jew or Musulim giving me a gift on there Holiday.

Great comment. I'm not a Christian but absolutely love all the trappings of Christmas. I celebrate solstice with tree, lights, gifts (and turkey before we went vegan) and good company. My Jewish pals wrap 'Chanukah' up in bows and have Chanukah trees. And my Jehovah's Witness friend says gifts are given spontaneously at any time of year so she enjoys the one I give spontaneously in December in gold wrap. I haven't yet tried a Diwali gift but if I time it right, I may some year soon! December or solstice seems to appeal to many traditions.

I had actually been thinking of something consumable apart from cash which they will get anyway. We make great maple sugar up here which only seems to offend diabetic diets. However, I like the idea of the Chinese envelopes. That may be the most neutral way to go. Last time I was on a cruise it was in the Caribbean and almost everyone I encountered working on that ship was from there except the officers. Perhaps that has changed over these many years.

Calling down someone in front of another worker or Passenger is unconscionable!:(

Good for you for writing a letter to Administration..

Did you get an answer to your letter?

Yes; in fact not only a letter thanking me for sharing the incident but a visit from the hotel director himself, with a photograph asking me if that was the person in question (the offender). It was; then he said they'd had concerns about her for some time & again thanked me for the information. I explained that my perspective has always been if you don't know there's a problem, you can't fix it--he agreed. THEN, we received a bottle of wine and chocolate-covered strawberries, with his compliments--completely unnecessary but very nice. So they do pay attention.

Serendipity1499, thanks for posting the link. Those were the same envelopes I ordered. What a deal, 50 beautiful Gold Embossed Envelopes for less than $5 AND free shipping! Fellow passengers, spread the word and we can establish a HAL tradition!

Can I claim ownership? :)

Yes; in fact not only a letter thanking me for sharing the incident but a visit from the hotel director himself, with a photograph asking me if that was the person in question (the offender). It was; then he said they'd had concerns about her for some time & again thanked me for the information. I explained that my perspective has always been if you don't know there's a problem, you can't fix it--he agreed. THEN, we received a bottle of wine and chocolate-covered strawberries, with his compliments--completely unnecessary but very nice. So they do pay attention.

Can I claim ownership? :)

Absolutely Peter.. Forgot you were the one who told us about them many many years ago!!!.:eek::eek:.Oh my how time flies...

I've used them often especially to give our Grand kids & Great Grand kids a bit of cash for Christmas..

I have a Print Artist program, & have already printed the little notes I'm enclosing with the cash, but only three envelopes left...Will order more for our cruise.. The Stewards would never be able to read my handwriting, so I make up my Thank you notes in advance using a picture of a ship & only have to write each persons name on the note & the envelope..

Thanks again..

Absolutely Peter.. Forgot you were the one who told us about them many many years ago!!!.:eek::eek:.Oh my how time flies...

Thanks! It would be a great tradition to start and the crew recognize those envelopes!

Thanks for the story for the red envelope. Interesting. I never knew that.

I always just write a note and give an additional gratuity if deserved. I think in the future that I'm going to bring actual thank you note with me instead of just using plain envelopes. I'm sure the crew member won't care, but I'll like it more.

I had actually been thinking of something consumable apart from cash which they will get anyway. We make great maple sugar up here which only seems to offend diabetic diets. However, I like the idea of the Chinese envelopes. That may be the most neutral way to go. Last time I was on a cruise it was in the Caribbean and almost everyone I encountered working on that ship was from there except the officers. Perhaps that has changed over these many years.

On my last cruise I brought onboard several bags (pounds) of Indonesian and Filipino candy and made up treat bags that I randomly handed out to crew working in the Lido, halls, etc. The crew members seemed thrilled. One very young looking Hall Steward (?) (white uniform similiar to Yum Yum Man's) who was cleaning the banisters almost cried and yelled out "Bless you madam".

(And of course cash tip and thank you notes to my stewards).