Upgrade to Aqua class to experience Blu?

jabrown40

Thank you, everyone has given me a lot to think about! I am leaning toward staying in my balcony cabin - I have one of those cabins on the hump with the bigger balcony - and spending the extra money in the specialty restaurants. After reading all of the menus, I think that would be best for us.

Enjoy your cruise! Good decision.

We loved Blu on Equinox in 2012, but on Silly in 2014, we had great food and service in traditional MDR early sitting. On 12 cruises on 3 different lines, we have NEVER had to sit with others and endure the "twenty questions". That is an outdated misconception that some of our friends still believe even though they have never been on a cruise.We have always been given a table for two in the MDR.

We recently did a cruise on Equinox in Aqua Class, and really enjoyed the location of our stateroom forward deck 11 and its amenities especially the fantastic shower, also the bottled water provided for us. Blu restaurant was overall very good, the waiters were fantastic, however the quality of the food was erratic. Some nights really good others not so. We did breakfast a couple of times in Blu but both times service was really slow.

Unless you really think the location of the Aqua rooms and using the Persian Gardens essential (high up) then I would agree with others who have said stay where you are and do the Speciality Restaurants for dinner sometimes. :)

We love Blu for breakfast and dinner with a speciality package you will not have the breakfast option. We opted for sky suite last year and wouldn't do so again as we missed Persian garden and didn't particularly like the butler service. We would compare it to Britannia club on Cunard certainly not grill suite!

We love Blu for breakfast and dinner with a speciality package you will not have the breakfast option. We opted for sky suite last year and wouldn't do so again as we missed Persian garden and didn't particularly like the butler service. We would compare it to Britannia club on Cunard certainly not grill suite!

the sky suites are wonderful and do not compare to the balcony cabins. The Aqua class cabins are hyped up balcony cabins. the storage and bathrooms are limited in the balcony cabins. The butler can bring you a full hot breakfast served beautifully in your suite or the suite balcony daily. You will have access to a brand new suite only restaurant or Blu. You can decided.

We no longer use the persian garden even if we are in Aqua class . It includes a few warm rock loungers which imo aren't very comfortable, a small sauna and steam room. They also have showers. In a suite you have a nice bathtub and shower. The storage and suite are so much nicer

To each his

Own. When we can swing it we truly love the room and perks in a suite

We will have to agree to differ! Our butler was quite honestly a nuisance, the suite we had wasn't great we were kept awake all the first night with the light buzzing in the wardrobe area, it wasn't cleaned very well, Aqua for us every time

We will have to agree to differ! Our butler was quite honestly a nuisance, the suite we had wasn't great we were kept awake all the first night with the light buzzing in the wardrobe area, it wasn't cleaned very well, Aqua for us every time[/QUOT

We had a lousy butler once. I think if you have a great butler you might change your mind

Enjoy your cruises!

Edited by Cruise a holic

We always book AQ just to eat in Blu. We calculate if not more than $25 per day each it is the better way to go. You will find that there is tremendous ordering versatility available in Blu, outstanding staff, very quiet and elgant atmosphere, and the tables for 2 accommodate almost all needs. Additionally your fellow diners tend to be very experienced travelers and 80% of the time very personable. We do not use Persian Gardens since very limited facilities compared to say NCL ships; we are not into yoga and the like.

We do sometimes eat in a specialty restaurant but the upcharge is outrageous on X.

We always book AQ just to eat in Blu. We calculate if not more than $25 per day each it is the better way to go. You will find that there is tremendous ordering versatility available in Blu, outstanding staff, very quiet and elgant atmosphere, and the tables for 2 accommodate almost all needs. Additionally your fellow diners tend to be very experienced travelers and 80% of the time very personable. We do not use Persian Gardens since very limited facilities compared to say NCL ships; we are not into yoga and the like.

We do sometimes eat in a specialty restaurant but the upcharge is outrageous on X.

Can you please elaborate on the versatility? I'm a vegetarian and my TA notified them as it's my first cruise sailing Aqua Class.

Loved having the separate vegetarian menu in the MDR.

Any insight into your experience is much appreciated.

TIA.

It is mixed as to whether people like Aqua food or MDR food. Aqua class cabins are often in the worst locations....under buffet and pool deck. I once paid extra to stay in the deck under the pool. Worst mistake. The noise from above was awful. I like the MDR food and prefer a cabin on a lower deck. Favorite decks are between 2 other decks of cabins. Even deck 6 on Solstice is better than under the pool deck. However, avoid cabins on 6 under the Ensemble lounge.

I believe that Blu does have a separate vegetarian menu available (some items may be same as MDR). Also each night one of the specialty items is vegetarian. But the real versatility is in speaking to your head waiter or host and asking for alternate items...especially in planning for the next evening's meal.

You cannot get that level of flexibility in the MDR. Just keep in mind the more reasonable you are the more cooperation you will see...develop a degree of rapport and you will be impressed.

I personally love Blu. The food is made to order instead of banquet style (all cooked and plated and delivered).

You do have to be careful about cabin selection, but there are some good cabin choices. Make sure you DON'T get under the pool.

You don't HAVE to eat in Blu if you don't want to, you CAN go to the MDR. AQ may be worth it just for the breakfast. The showers, robes, umbrella and tote bags are also nicer.

I would say if the cost difference is negligible, which it often is, book AC and try it!

I have said before that we found Blu almost inedible some nights.

Absolutely dreadfull.

My husband managed two breakfasts. I managed three then never went again. I do not eat slimy eggs. Nor do I eat the enormous amounts offered. The buffet might not be up to much but at least you can see what you are getting and decide accordingly.

I have never, ever, sent food back but after the first time it becomes suprisingly easy.

A terrible disappointment and a great waste of a lot of money.

For us.

I have said before that we found Blu almost inedible some nights.

Absolutely dreadfull.

My husband managed two breakfasts. I managed three then never went again. I do not eat slimy eggs. Nor do I eat the enormous amounts offered. The buffet might not be up to much but at least you can see what you are getting and decide accordingly.

I have never, ever, sent food back but after the first time it becomes suprisingly easy.

A terrible disappointment and a great waste of a lot of money.

For us.

We have been on 8 cruises on Celebrity...most 10 to 14 nights, maybe two cruises of 7 days, and every time in AQ. Probably 90 days onboard in total. We ate 90% of evening meals and perhaps 50% of our breakfast meals in Blu. Perhaps 2 or 3 times we had bad meals or undercooked eggs. My wife is a very picky eater. Have we just been lucky? What ship were you on for this horrific experience?

I totally agree with you, Janet987 - - we tried Aqua class on Celebrity for the first time, on Reflection for my 50th b-day for a relaxing vacation. We loved the smaller BLU restaurant and service, and loved the spa amenities, especially heated loungers in Persian Garden. And yes, that shower-head in the aqua-class balcony cabin was the bomb!

With BLU's smaller size and attentive service, the sommellier gets to know you too... great especially if you have a bev package. We were spoiled and enjoyed every minute! Have fun!

If you enjoy higher quality food, I would use the money that you would spend on Aqua class and spend it on specialty restaurants. Blu is MDR quality food with a slightly better preparation. Specialty restaurants are a step or two up

I have had almost the opposite experience.

My wife and I think the food and service at Blu are a step (or 2) above the MDR.

We are foodies and appreciate good food and service.

Yes the tables are close together, but it is not uncomfortable and you can always get a table for 2, which we prefer.

Blu is more intimate and quieter than the MDR.

The amenities of Aqua class are very nice, especially the spa.

Give it a try for yourself, if it is in your budget.

I agree that the food is as good as the MDR- and I like the more intimate and quieter atmosphere- however the food in the speciality restaurants is light years better.

Glad you enjoy the persian gardens- which some people do like. It is great that we have so much choice with Celebrity- I am anxious to try the new restaurant for suite guests also.

No one can advise you on the benefit tbh, because as many have said, food is subjective.

Howeve, if you prefer your meals tiny and pretty, and any dishes involving fowl to be moisture free, then you will love it.

Me? I like moisture.

Edited by mugwood

We don't like fixed seating in dining rooms. Is it right that the MDR has fixed time seating and BLU has any time seating? If so this is a no brainier for us.

MDR also has SELECT as dining option, but we have seen lines for that.

blu sometimes has lines too but we never had a problem to be seated within 5min or less.

So yes, blu has anytime seating and from my point it is working better than SELECT in the MDR.

Edited by UniPac

Agree with UniPac. We tried going back to MDR with Select when traveling with DD. Did not work out well for us at all...lines, waits, poor service, food not BLU quality, having a bad meal replaced not an option time-wise. Gave up after a few days and used speciality restaurants for rest of cruise. This trip with DD we going with a suite and open seating at Luminae and BLU.

We love Blu, and particularly enjoy the nice, relaxing breakfast atmosphere. There are pros and cons. S class ships have much nicer spa areas whereas IMHO M class ships have a much nicer, more comfortable dining area (the tables are not squeezed together quite as tight and as the area is smaller you often have the ability - should you wish - to sit in the same general area each night therefore getting to know your waiters, something I miss by not going to the MDR). I would pay more for Blu, but not alot more (which of course is a personal decision as to how much is too much). On M class ships, we highly recommend the newer cabins built at the back of the ship on Deck 11. On S class most of the choices are unfortunately in areas where you may experience some noise from decks above.

What are the differences with breakfast in the MDR and breakfast in Blu? We didn't care for breakfast in the buffet so we ate in the MDR most of the time.

To us the main differences are atmosphere - quieter and more relaxing, fresher food because there are fewer people being served, and generally faster and more personalized service due to the size of the venue. I don't recall a one-to-one comparison, but I think the options for food are similar. In Blu, if there is something not on the menu that you know is available (like oatmeal) you can ask them for it. Not sure you would have the same luck in the MDR. Also in Blu, you have more options to sit alone rather than in a large table if you prefer.

Edited by phoenix_dream

What are the differences with breakfast in the MDR and breakfast in Blu? We didn't care for breakfast in the buffet so we ate in the MDR most of the time.

In addition to phoenix_dream I think you can get things that are not available in the MDR for free, e.g. fresh orange juice.

Don't know if the Müsli is prepared table-side in the MDR but it is in blu.