Tips, Hints and secret's

hugger

There should be a lever on the underside -like on a desk chair or ask you steward next time you see him or her.

I found the tables on the Vista/Signature ships have a push-down-to-release-the-mechanism system rather than levers. It makes it a bit harder to control the height of the table, but eventually I got the hang of it.

Can you imagine trying to get a woman to bring only 4 pairs of shoes!:D:D on a 14 day cruise..

I said I would try for four plus the ones I'm wearing.. After all ladies sandals are much lighter than DH's three pairs of shoes..

Now lets be honest ladies, how many pairs do you bring on a 14 day cruise?

Two.

Honestly, I only pack two pair of shoes no matter how long the trip. A pair of walking shoes I wear in the plane and a pair of dressy, but not too dressy, rubber-soled flats.

I wear the walking shoes during the day ashore and the flats at night and on sea days.

Two.

Honestly, I only pack two pair of shoes no matter how long the trip. A pair of walking shoes I wear in the plane and a pair of dressy, but not too dressy, rubber-soled flats.

I wear the walking shoes during the day ashore and the flats at night and on sea days.

One pair black close toed flats, rubber soles; one pair black finn comfort sandals; one pair beige dressier reiker sandals; flip flops.

Sometimes the TV plugs into a multi-plug outlet and some of the spaces there are unused. It may be a bit of a struggle to get to it, and will likely need a European adapter but it can work.

Roy

That's handy to know, thank you

In one cabin my hassock opened for storage...on another it was sealed tight.

If my hassock opens I use it as storage for all my power strips and chargers....at night I can lift them out, plug them in and charge everything fir the next day. During the day I open the hassock and drop all the electrical stuff inside and keep it out of the way during the day...

Sometimes the TV plugs into a multi-plug outlet and some of the spaces there are unused. It may be a bit of a struggle to get to it, and will likely need a European adapter but it can work.

Roy

There is usually a North American outlet AND euro outlet on the desk. I take an euro to NA adapter and am able to use the euro plug as an extra plug. Keep in mind this will be 220 volts.

& I have a major problem.. ;)

We're doing a 14 day cruise in Nov. with our best Friends ..Another couple will be joining us for only one week.. Our best Friends have travelled with us for many years both on cruises & we also sailed our two boats together.. My Friend is like a Sister to me..

Well they stopped for coffee this afternoon & my Friends DH had the temerity to tell me that I could only bring four (4) pairs! ;);) of shoes..My DH agrees with him!!!:eek:

Can you imagine trying to get a woman to bring only 4 pairs of shoes!:D:D on a 14 day cruise..

I said I would try for four plus the ones I'm wearing.. After all ladies sandals are much lighter than DH's three pairs of shoes..

(I posted an earlier response to this but it has disappeared so again.....)

Lots. No way could I get by with 4 pair. I have my runners, 2 pair of dress heels, several pair of sandals, both flip flops and fancy, and usually 2 pairs of flats. Shoes are my "thing".

We haven't achieved the level of free laundry yet so on ships without self-service laundry I have developed my method-wash clothes in the sink or tub and then hang the lightweight stuff on the line in the shower. For heavier, longer-drying items I found large suction cup hooks at the Container Store. After wringing out using towels to soak up most of the water I hang the pants or shirts on hangers and then put them on the hooks that I've attached to the stationary part of the sliding door to the balcony. Then I close the curtain and it's a nice toasty solar dryer. Of course you need to be on a cruise where the sun will shine! You can also use the hooks for hanging other items when not drying clothes. Great place for my sun hat.

I also have made large and small "baskets" out of fabric and stiffener (Pellon-type interfacing). I put snaps on the corners to make sides like a box or basket. Small, narrow one goes on the nightstand for my keycard, watch and other pocket junk. Larger ones in the closet hold socks and other loose stuff. You unsnap the corners and it's flat to fit easily in the suitcase.

Lastly, I found an organizer at The Container Store that is magnetic. It has a separate divider you can add. I put it on the wall near the desk and keep my post-it notes, pens, highlighters, small scissors and other desk-type items handy but off the desk top. It was made to put on a metal sheet you put on a wall at home and then stick the containers on that but don't need the sheet on the ship.

After the third cruise where I came home with "extra" clothes' date=' I made a vow to myself.....if I don't wear it on the ship, it doesn't come home! This made me think a little harder while I was packing, and quite a few of the "But I might need this" things did not go into the suitcase, after all.

I always bring cheap, insulated tumblers with lids along....helps me avoid spilling iced tea on the way back to the cabin and can be left behind if I acquire too many souvenirs along the way.

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

I actually felt a bit of an anxiety attack when I read your "extra clothes" vow - you are a BRAVE woman! IF I could make myself take that VOW I bet I would have a lot of extra room in my luggage and our cabin:eek: GOOD FOR YOU! GOTTA LOVE it

I to take the Dollar Store insulated glasses with me when I travel now. I've left quite a few around (clean) maybe someone else can get some use out of them too.

I also get (Dollar Store) in the plastic wrap area these little plastic cover's with elastic. They are food grade "shower caps" - I use them to bring stuff from the Lido or Explorations cafe to the room.

Or, if we have leftover's from room service etc

We're doing a 14 day cruise in Nov. with our best Friends ..Another couple will be joining us for only one week.. Our best Friends have travelled with us for many years both on cruises & we also sailed our two boats together.. My Friend is like a Sister to me..

Well they stopped for coffee this afternoon & my Friends DH had the temerity to tell me that I could only bring four (4) pairs! ;);) of shoes..My DH agrees with him!!!:eek:

We had four of us gal's who used to cruise together before we got married. One year my Best Friend and I decide that we would share one VERY LARGE Suitcase (this was the day's before luggage restriction's) the content's all of our shoe's

I am literally sitting here with tear's running down my face laughing about that - I am going to have to call in the morning to see IF she remember's how many pair's of shoe's we had in that 32" suitcase.

I still probably take 8-10 pair's LOL

And, I agree with you - I wear a size 51/2 and my husband wear's an 11 so I should get two pair to each of his pair - don't you think!

I found the tables on the Vista/Signature ships have a push-down-to-release-the-mechanism system rather than levers. It makes it a bit harder to control the height of the table, but eventually I got the hang of it.

Hum - can you explain that a bit more to me? I'm thinking you do a quick push down hard on the top of it. And, it then goes up or down? '

Now that I think about it there wasn't a lever on the last one - I did look for one. And, it was the Eurodam - going on her again our next cruise.

Maybe I should follow someone else's suggestion that I ask the cabin steward to show us how.

A good tip is the chocolate croissants will erase 300 calories each time you eat one.

This INCREDIBLE tip!!! No wonder I always feel so full on a cruise :p

LOVE IT - THANK YOU

So many great tips and hints - please keep them coming.

I applaud the cruiser's/traveler's who can go with 1 bag or even two! I was in the Travel Industry for many year's. I still NEVER could learn HOW to accomplish that feat. We like Betty have lived in FL the past 20+ year's. We drive to port - which is good and BAD. We always go in a day early and take a shuttle or taxi to the port - the last few cruises I have literally felt guilty about how many bag's we had. I need a 12 step program I think.

MY DH will say it's all mine - however, he has just as much as I do!

WOW - what a great way to dry clothes out never thought of using that space on the window! Inspirational

And, the suction cups for the window - there are always things like the sunhat that I like to grab and take to the balcony - AWESOME

I am going to have to do some cut and paste from this post so that I can add to my list for the cruise. I might need another piece of luggage :eek:

So I was just thinking about how we ALWAYS WAY OVERPACK for our cruises. And, it got me to thinking of a few year's back there was a thread that listed all the little way's to make your cabin more comfortable.

Ie - like where to find hidden storage. How to get better water pressure in the shower. Where and IF there were any other electrical outlets in the cabin.

If the coffee table had a lever to raise it up and down.

Thought it would be fun and interesting to start a new thread with the current ships on HAL.

One question I have always had is I can never get the make up mirror to give enough light to actually put my make up on. My eyesight isn't that bad - so maybe there is something I don't know about adjusting the light level and the height level???

One of my tips is that on the Signature class ships (maybe on all HAL ships) there are two decent size drawer's under the foot of the bed. I am sure they have been there before and I missed them being they are under the bedskirt. Found them last year on the Eurodam.

Anyone else have some tips etc

With regard to the under the bed drawers, I always take along a big green garbage bag to store the linen items the stewards keep in these drawers. I put the bag under the bed and then when we are packing to go home I return the items to the drawer. The bag keeps them nice and clean. I know I could ask the steward to remove them but they are so busy delivering luggage on embarkation day I figure that is one little thing I can do for myself to make it easier on the steward.

Since there are only two of us I also take the third life jacket, which takes up a whole shelf, and put it in a protective green garbage bag under the bed. I also make sure I put it back where it belongs when we are packing.

I hadn't thought of raising the bed so we could slide the larger luggage under it!

And, I will ask for a couple extra basket's as we do use those too.

I thought there was a height adjustment on those tables - now I have to figure out how to use it :-)

If the suitcase won't quite fit under the bed, try opening it up and slide it under with the lid folded back. That reduces the height of the bag and you won't have to risk straining your back to put it under.

Whether 14 or 30 days, 4 pairs easily does the trick for me. Shoes on plane, 2 pairs of sandals and dress sandals normally would be my max. But I agree, women's shoes weight a lot LESS than men's. ;)

Thanks for all the tips!:)

I don't have anything to add, but on our next long cruise (33 days) I plan to take my electric toothbrush. We have been using those battery-powered ones, but I really miss my electric one!

Ann, I take my electric toothbrush and leave it plugged in all day. At night I switch off and plug my husband's razor in the receptacle and that works well with keeping both items charged.

I start off being economical with shoe space but by the time I finish packing about ten pairs have somehow found their way into the suitcases. This can be accomplished by restricting your husband to three pairs, including the pair on his feet. Easy.

We're doing a 14 day cruise in Nov. with our best Friends ..Another couple will be joining us for only one week.. Our best Friends have travelled with us for

Ok - do not blast me but on the WC (110+ days) I brought 2 pair of tennis shoes, 1 sandal plus 1 black, 1 white and 1 red pair of shoes for dinner. The dinner shoes are like ballet flats (Capezio) and take almost no room in a suitcase. Gave up on the multi-shoe packing a long while back as well as heels as went for comfort and safety so now stick with flats.

Take a small LED flashlight for each person! Imagine being on a ship that has a total power failure (can we say Carnival Splendor, boys and girls?). There are no emergency lights. One must get out of his/her cabin and down the passage to stairs in total darkness. That is exactly why I have always packed flashlights for us.

Doc