Tips, Hints and secret's

hugger

Since my roomie and I spend a LOT of time on our verandah, I bring a wireless doorbell. That way, neither of us has to sit in the cabin awaiting room service delivery..or....our friends stopping by.

Since my roomie and I spend a LOT of time on our verandah, I bring a wireless doorbell. That way, neither of us has to sit in the cabin awaiting room service delivery..or....our friends stopping by.

I am seriously considering this for our next HAL cruise. Not sure if O had doorbells or not - will have to look.

did you get them at amazon? trying to figure out one that works well without spending an arm and a leg or too much room in packing.

I believe I got it on Ebay. Under $10. It works really well. Takes up NO room. It's a small receiver and the button part that goes on the door.

AMAZON Has quite a few to choose from. Need to dig into the details

Was there any pushback from the crew? I could see someone complaining that you are doing something wrong......hopefully not

Did the crew use the doorbell or pound the door anyway?

The crew LOVED IT. Each time that it was a new room service delivery person, they would be chuckling by the time I got to the door. All used the bell. I printed up a little sign that said 'PUSH DOOR BELL'.

The crew LOVED IT. Each time that it was a new room service delivery person, they would be chuckling by the time I got to the door. All used the bell. I printed up a little sign that said 'PUSH DOOR BELL'.

I have to get one......I saw one that claimed a 500 foot range.....

How did you stick it to the door? Or did you put it on the wall next to the door? I assume it leaves no marks

I wondered how you 'alerted' crew there was a door bell and to please ring it. Carrying a Room Service tray I wouldn't think it would occur to them to look for it.

Good idea. :)

I believe I got it on Ebay. Under $10. It works really well. Takes up NO room. It's a small receiver and the button part that goes on the door.

thanks I will look. have to look to figure out how to attach it to outside.

It's a great idea as we are on our verandah and I hate having to be inside because "someone might be coming in the next 1/2 hour".

I buy a one dollar door stop to prop the door open slightly and it works well.

You can also just turn the "deadbolt" lock and it will keep the door ajar as well. I don't think I would be comfortable keeping the door ajar if I was out on the balcony though.

If the suitcase won't quite fit under the bed, try opening it up and slide it under with the lid folded back. That reduces the height of the bag and you won't have to risk straining your back to put it under.

I read this one out to my DH and got the raised eyebrows and why didnt we think of that instead of falling over a suitcase for two weeks!!

AMAZON Has quite a few to choose from. Need to dig into the details

Was there any pushback from the crew? I could see someone complaining that you are doing something wrong......hopefully not

Did the crew use the doorbell or pound the door anyway?

Here is one that seems to fit the bill.....$13....batteries on both ends....many require you to plug in the chimes.....with the shortage of plugs ..don't need anything else taking a slot

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCSU0WQ?psc=1#productDetails

No plug required for this one (Ebay)

Wireless Doorbell Door Bell Remote Control WHITE 32 Tunes Songs New

Features:

32 Tunes Wireless Doorbell Door Bell with Remote Control

Color: White with Blue as the picture shows

Simple, vivid and no-wire installation design avoid troubles and save money when in installation and don't effect decorate environment

Remote control range up to 80meters in open air, suitable for homes and high floor houses.

Build in anti-interference design, avoid t he interference between users.

Build in double speakers, make sound clear, especially suitable for homes, offices, factories, hotels, etc.

Door Bell powered by 2 AAA batteries ( not included )

Sender powered by 12V 23A battery(included)

32 Melodies for selection, you can select your favorite

Easy to install, with double-side stickers at the back of the remote button

Fast Shipping from US

Package Contents:

1 x Wireless Sender

1 x Doorbell Receiver

1 x 12V 23A battery

It has a sticky pad on the door bell itself but I didn't use it. Just used masking tape. No residue.

Edited by LUPY48

Wow! We are 4 star Mariners, and I NEVER thought about removing the extra life vests before! ( probably because DH is 6'4" and I am 5'2"..... So I can't reach the upper shelves even if ey are empty. But he can! Next trip, September on the Eurodam, you bet I will use this! thanks.....it will help.

Barbara M. In NH

Hum - can you explain that a bit more to me? I'm thinking you do a quick push down hard on the top of it. And, it then goes up or down? '

Now that I think about it there wasn't a lever on the last one - I did look for one. And, it was the Eurodam - going on her again our next cruise.

Maybe I should follow someone else's suggestion that I ask the cabin steward to show us how.

Yes, that's exactly how it works. A push to release the mechanism and then you stop it at the height you want -- either up or down.

I read this one out to my DH and got the raised eyebrows and why didnt we think of that instead of falling over a suitcase for two weeks!!

If the truth be told we did the same thing and were only told about that little trick later. It was a real "duh" moment for me. :D

We had four of us gal's who used to cruise together before we got married. One year my Best Friend and I decide that we would share one VERY LARGE Suitcase (this was the day's before luggage restriction's) the content's all of our shoe's

I am literally sitting here with tear's running down my face laughing about that - I am going to have to call in the morning to see IF she remember's how many pair's of shoe's we had in that 32" suitcase.

I still probably take 8-10 pair's LOL

And, I agree with you - I wear a size 51/2 and my husband wear's an 11 so I should get two pair to each of his pair - don't you think!

Thanks so happy to hear that I at least have some company! Shoes & purses are my downfall..LOL:) When we moved into a condo 4 years ago I gave away, or tossed at least 25 pairs of heels..I've probably replaced them with flats, small heels or sandals by now..

Now that's a great idea..[thanks..

I'm having so much fun planning for our cruise in Nov../SIZE]

Good to know about the extra storage places!

If you're on the verandah with the verandah door open, would you be able to hear the door, ya think?

I'll probably be spending a lot of my cabin time out there, and will need a pretty constant supply of coffee except when I'm sleeping, so it's a good thing to know. I may need to think about the wireless doorbell thing as well. Or, just leave the door propped with the deadbolt, guess. I'm really not terribly worried about someone coming into the cabin when I'm there.

Do you need to leave a note for room service to let them know to come right in if the door's propped, or do they figure it out?

As for shoes. I broke down and got a pair of "nice" sandals, after I realised my crocs weren't going to cut it for the MDR or Pinnacle, especially on formal nights, and it might be too warm for cowboy boots some nights. (Yes, I totally rock the Western boots with a cocktail dress or gown! Put a mirror shine on them and it looks fabulous. Try it sometime, ladies! :D ) So, that means I'll be bringing 3 pair, including what I wear onto the ship, which will depend on weather that day - Boots, Crocs, and nice sandals. That's for a one week cruise, but I can't see why I'd need any more for a 14, 30, or more day cruise. Maybe some water shoes, if I were likely to be going in the water where there are sharp rocks/coral/other foot dangers, or combat boots for rough terrain if I were still able to do that much walking, but other than that, what for, except to take up space? :p

If you're on the verandah with the verandah door open, would you be able to hear the door, ya think?

I'll probably be spending a lot of my cabin time out there, and will need a pretty constant supply of coffee except when I'm sleeping, so it's a good thing to know. I may need to think about the wireless doorbell thing as well. Or, just leave the door propped with the deadbolt, guess. I'm really not terribly worried about someone coming into the cabin when I'm there.

Leaving the verandah door open is a BIG HUGE No-No.

It messes with the A/C all through the ship, especially with the A/C in interior and ocean view cabins that do have have the ability to go outside.

Please do not leave your verandah door open.

Edited by ellieanne

Leaving the verandah door open is a BIG HUGE No-No.

It messes with the A/C all through the ship, especially with the A/C in interior and ocean view cabins that do have have the ability to go outside.

Please do not leave your verandah door open.

I'm certain ellieanne meant to type "...cabins that do not have the ability...", and is quite correct about that.

I'm guessing you weren't aware of that, and as a confirmed cave dweller, ask that you take it to heart.

There's another reason to keep your balcony door closed, too. If it is open, and the cabin door is opened at the same time, it creates a wind tunnel that sends everything flying!

That happened to me, and was a real mess to clean up.

Thanks so happy to hear that I at least have some company! Shoes & purses are my downfall..LOL:) When we moved into a condo 4 years ago I gave away, or tossed at least 25 pairs of heels..I've probably replaced them with flats, small heels or sandals by now..

>SNIP<

When we moved to "the sticks" and I gave up my career, I had 73 pairs of heels. Seventy-three pairs. I miss every one of them :eek: :D

I really struggle with shoes when we cruise. My feet are very "fussy" and can quickly blister with ill-fitting shoes, or shoes that I wear too often or for too long a time. I remember the days when I could take a suitcase full of shoes for a cruise.... (insert sigh here :) ) Now, my biggest packing problem is how to reduce the # of shoes I take.