Tips, Hints and secret's

hugger

So I was just thinking about how we ALWAYS WAY OVERPACK for our cruises. And, it got me to thinking of a few year's back there was a thread that listed all the little way's to make your cabin more comfortable.

Ie - like where to find hidden storage. How to get better water pressure in the shower. Where and IF there were any other electrical outlets in the cabin.

If the coffee table had a lever to raise it up and down.

Thought it would be fun and interesting to start a new thread with the current ships on HAL.

One question I have always had is I can never get the make up mirror to give enough light to actually put my make up on. My eyesight isn't that bad - so maybe there is something I don't know about adjusting the light level and the height level???

One of my tips is that on the Signature class ships (maybe on all HAL ships) there are two decent size drawer's under the foot of the bed. I am sure they have been there before and I missed them being they are under the bedskirt. Found them last year on the Eurodam.

Anyone else have some tips etc

Edited by hugger

If you have a hassock, it probably opens for additional storage.

Yes, most coffee tables will have a height adjustment.

Ask your steward for an additional basket or 2 (like the shoe shine basket that is in the closet) as cabins usually have more shelf space than drawers as these work great for socks, etc.

If your luggage does not quite fit under the bed, raise the edge and put them under as more space is available just past the frame edge.

If someone knows how to increase the water pressure - please post!

I never considered raising the bed for extra height, but then, like most of the furniture on the ships, I just assumed the beds were substantial and heavy.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never really found the water pressure a problem. Nor have I found a serious lack of storage space, even with two overpacking adults in the room. In fact, the only time I had even a hint of a storage problem was when my cabin-mate brought a large suitcase of clothes and a separate rolling duffle of dive gear. The dive gear & rolling duffle had to live in front of the sofa for 14 days.

My biggest issue with the rooms is the narrowness of the entry areas with the door, closets and bathroom door all opening into the space space that is barely wide enough for one person to begin with. It's a really poor design, but I have no idea how to make it any better.

To avoid taking up space in the already narrow entrance and small bathroom, I bought a slim over-the-door shoe hanger that I attach to one of the wooden hangers with a swivel hook that are in the closet. I can move it around to the place most convenient (ie inside bathroom door when showering) at the time, but it is out of sight otherwise.

One of my tips is that on the Signature class ships (maybe on all HAL ships) there are two decent size drawer's under the foot of the bed. I am sure they have been there before and I missed them being they are under the bedskirt. Found them last year on the Eurodam.

And do not over look the two equally large drawers under the sofa/love seat.

Here's a tip concerning the All Aboard time. A few years back, our wonderful captain wanted to give us extra time in Monaco. We tendered in the morning and then after another ship left the dock, moved to the dock.

However, passengers who left early in the morning were not informed of this time change! Since we were to be there 'til 10pm, we returned at midday for lunch. Never thought to doublecheck the All Aboard, which was now an hour later. And no one said anything as we were leaving, though the decision had already been made.

From that time on, we have always taken a picture or said out loud to one another the All Aboard time!

I read this on another thread sometime back: if you're having trouble with your remote control & changing the batteries doesn't help, point it towards the ceiling (above the TV). Worked for us!

Happy Travels!

I am embarrassed to say that it took 5 cruises to realize that a pants hanger saves enormous closet space. Also a long narrow drawer organizer neatly corrals personal items on bathroom variety top. Highlighter pens mark events on the daily program. Bring insulated beverage glasses to keep liquids hot/cold. The HAL glasses are tiny.

A solid room deodorizer can overcome possible bathroom orders from floor drain. Disposable super glue tubes can be great temporary fixes as well as duck tape, you will be surprised how often it gets used.

Lastly, a map...too often I lose perspective on longer cruises.

Thanks for starting this thread, I appreciate new tips.

And do not over look the two equally large drawers under the sofa/love seat.

I've never noticed two drawers under the sofa..Have made a mental note to check for them when we're on the Eurodam..

We take 2 Zippered hanging bags for all our incidentals & make a list where each thing is.. Also put a list on the outside of each pocket.. We hang those on the bathroom hooks..

Use a hanging bag for my night gowns & underclothes.. Much easier than using the drawer space..

Since we drive to the port I take my own thin velvet covered clothes hangars..

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Velvet-Shirt-Dress-Hangers/dp/B00FXNABZS/ref=lp_3744481_1_11?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1436879910&sr=1-11

Will ask the steward to remove their big old wood hangars or put them on the in the back of the closet..

Edited by serendipity1499

I've never noticed two drawers under the sofa..Have made a mental note to check for them when we're on the Eurodam..

Betty I didn't find them myself :o our travel mates did on our 1st HAL cruise.

Since we drive to the port I take my own thin velvet covered clothes hangars..

Although I have an ample supply of those same type hangers the ones I take on cruises are the thin plastic ones that the department stores are always more than willing to leave your purchases on. In fact, when I pack I leave the majority of my items on those hangers, covered in clear plastic bags, so that all I have to do is take them out of the suitcase and hang them up. When packing for disembarkation :( if I've purchased a tad bit too much "stuff" I don't think twice about leaving those hangers in the closet. The other time saver for me anyway is to match tops & bottoms when packing and again using the plastic pants hangers from the store hook it into the tab on the top hanger. Really saves room in the closet and any brain cells that I shut down immediately upon boarding. :D

We went the other way.

When we came back from cruises and were unpacking we took note of the items that we never used or used once but did not really need. Over time we simply cut back. We were very happy to take less...found it liberating and it eased our travels considerably.

We started to pack/take only what we could each physically handle and lift. Made a big difference to us but this approach is not for everyone.

Edited by iancal

If you have a hassock, it probably opens for additional storage.

Yes, most coffee tables will have a height adjustment.

Ask your steward for an additional basket or 2 (like the shoe shine basket that is in the closet) as cabins usually have more shelf space than drawers as these work great for socks, etc.

If your luggage does not quite fit under the bed, raise the edge and put them under as more space is available just past the frame edge.

If someone knows how to increase the water pressure - please post!

I hadn't thought of raising the bed so we could slide the larger luggage under it!

And, I will ask for a couple extra basket's as we do use those too.

I thought there was a height adjustment on those tables - now I have to figure out how to use it :-)

Thanks for all the tips!:)

I don't have anything to add, but on our next long cruise (33 days) I plan to take my electric toothbrush. We have been using those battery-powered ones, but I really miss my electric one!

Although I have an ample supply of those same type hangers the ones I take on cruises are the thin plastic ones that the department stores are always more than willing to leave your purchases on. In fact, when I pack I leave the majority of my items on those hangers, covered in clear plastic bags, so that all I have to do is take them out of the suitcase and hang them up. When packing for disembarkation :( if I've purchased a tad bit too much "stuff" I don't think twice about leaving those hangers in the closet. The other time saver for me anyway is to match tops & bottoms when packing and again using the plastic pants hangers from the store hook it into the tab on the top hanger. Really saves room in the closet and any brain cells that I shut down immediately upon boarding. :D

LOL.. I've been able to leave some hangars, which stores give away on departure also & love to pack clothes in dry cleaner bags too..

We went the other way.

When we came back from cruises and were unpacking we took note of the items that we never used or used once but did not really need. Over time we simply cut back. We were very happy to take less...found it liberating and it eased our travels considerably.

We started to pack/take only what we could each physically handle and lift. Made a big difference to us but this approach is not for everyone.

I still over-pack especially shoes.. I had to travel for business & was always able to take one roll aboard suitcase or if it was longer than a few days, one bag to check in & one hand luggage, but since we are retired & live close to the port, I take as many evening outfits that I have days onboard.. Some formal some casual.. It's the only time I get to wear my best outfits, as living in FL is so much more casual than it was in NY...

I make lists & log them as to which suitcase I've packed what in.. On our 68 day cruise I did wear most outfits two or three times, but still took much too much! Planned 7 formal & 18 smart casual evening outfits, took 8 pairs of shoes, various purses..Of course used several long skirts, palazzo pants, etc over to get all those outfits.. HAL picked up our luggage for our long cruise.. I sent 4 bags (one 32 inches) via HAL & then carried another 27 inch & we both had our rolling hand luggage..

On board I kept track of each outfit worn on which days, & then used them all over again.. Took advantage of our free laundry too..

On board one of our long cruises, I met a couple from another airline who belonged to the same organization I did.. Many times our group was invited on Fam. trips by other carriers.. This couple each always took only one rolling carry-on when they travelled by air.. For our cruise, they admitted to checking one piece of 25 in luggage in when they cruised in addition to their rolling carry-ons..They both were always appropriately & beautifully dressed..:)

Keep saying next time will pack less:rolleyes: But next time never comes!:eek:

What a wealth of information and tips everyone has posted here. I am learning so much from CC'er's.

My next cruise will be my 45th and I am still learning from you folks here! Isn't this a great way to share knowledge. AND, the FUN of preparing for a cruise ;)

I never realized there were two drawer's under the sofa. I had recently read another post mentioning maybe one under the sofa. COOL as even IF we can just put the stuff from the drawer's under the bed there. And, or the cabin things that we don't use.

I can see that I might forget to pack any of our own things that I put in those drawer's. Over time I will learn to check those drawer's IF I at least can use them to store the HAL cabin stuff that we try to keep out of our way.

We also take 1-2 pairs of binocular's with us. Seems we are always finding something off our balcony to view.

Please keep the tips coming

After the third cruise where I came home with "extra" clothes, I made a vow to myself.....if I don't wear it on the ship, it doesn't come home! This made me think a little harder while I was packing, and quite a few of the "But I might need this" things did not go into the suitcase, after all.

I always bring cheap, insulated tumblers with lids along....helps me avoid spilling iced tea on the way back to the cabin and can be left behind if I acquire too many souvenirs along the way.

Barbara M. In NH

Besides keeping track of what we did not wear or what we wore only for a short time, we decided to bite the bullet as it were.

We started to restrict our packing to a 20" carry on roller bag each. That step made the biggest contribution to our downsizing efforts. We take this for a week long trip or for an extended trip of several months. The big difference for us is that when we do a cruise it is usually has a few weeks of land travel or more on either side.

This was challenging at first but now that we have done it for a few years we could never go back to our former routine.

Edited by iancal

Thanks for all the tips!:)

I don't have anything to add, but on our next long cruise (33 days) I plan to take my electric toothbrush. We have been using those battery-powered ones, but I really miss my electric one!

Always bring my good electric toothbrush and its little charger. The battery ones just don't do it for me. Also bring a battery-powered waterpik.

Sometimes the TV plugs into a multi-plug outlet and some of the spaces there are unused. It may be a bit of a struggle to get to it, and will likely need a European adapter but it can work.

Roy

I always bring the over the door shoe bag. The first cruise we used this, I was horrified to find it left marks in the paint at the top of the door frame! :eek:

Now, I have replaced the cheap metal hanging clips with "wreath hanger" magnets. (You can get them year round at places like Home Depot.) They are extra strong and I use three of them, so they support the weight of all of the "stuff" in the hanger. Because the walls and doors all hold magnets, I find an out of the way place to hang the bag. No more guilt!

Also, at the end of the cruise, I "inventory" the items in the hanger and restock anything necessary. I fold up the bag with all of the goodies (bandaids, duct tape, super glue, rain ponchos, mini umbrella, stain remover, etc.) and stick it into a plastic garbage bag so it is all ready to pack for the next cruise!

I buy a package of those cheap cardboard car air fresheners to stick in the bathroom.

I like to save my cruise schedules, so I bring a cheap wipe off marker board (also magnetic) to list what we want to do that day.

Take photos of the front of the schedule first thing in the morning and it is easy to sort out your photos when you get home.

& I have a major problem.. ;)

We're doing a 14 day cruise in Nov. with our best Friends ..Another couple will be joining us for only one week.. Our best Friends have travelled with us for many years both on cruises & we also sailed our two boats together.. My Friend is like a Sister to me..

Well they stopped for coffee this afternoon & my Friends DH had the temerity to tell me that I could only bring four (4) pairs! ;);) of shoes..My DH agrees with him!!!:eek:

Can you imagine trying to get a woman to bring only 4 pairs of shoes!:D:D on a 14 day cruise..

I said I would try for four plus the ones I'm wearing.. After all ladies sandals are much lighter than DH's three pairs of shoes..

Now lets be honest ladies, how many pairs do you bring on a 14 day cruise?

I never considered raising the bed for extra height, but then, like most of the furniture on the ships, I just assumed the beds were substantial and heavy.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never really found the water pressure a problem. Nor have I found a serious lack of storage space, even with two overpacking adults in the room. In fact, the only time I had even a hint of a storage problem was when my cabin-mate brought a large suitcase of clothes and a separate rolling duffle of dive gear. The dive gear & rolling duffle had to live in front of the sofa for 14 days.

My biggest issue with the rooms is the narrowness of the entry areas with the door, closets and bathroom door all opening into the space space that is barely wide enough for one person to begin with. It's a really poor design, but I have no idea how to make it any better.

We actually like those narrow openings w/ the bathroom door into the hallway. When the cabin steward enters and we're in the room, it gives us a little privacy before he/she barges in on us.

Here's a tip concerning the All Aboard time. A few years back, our wonderful captain wanted to give us extra time in Monaco. We tendered in the morning and then after another ship left the dock, moved to the dock.

However, passengers who left early in the morning were not informed of this time change! Since we were to be there 'til 10pm, we returned at midday for lunch. Never thought to doublecheck the All Aboard, which was now an hour later. And no one said anything as we were leaving, though the decision had already been made.

From that time on, we have always taken a picture or said out loud to one another the All Aboard time!

We bring the daily newspaper ashore w/ us so we have both the all aboard time and the port authority information.

. . . my Friends DH had the temerity to tell me that I could only bring four (4) pairs! ;);) of shoes

On our last b2b, I brought two pairs of running shoes, a pair of sandals and my slippers. With the pitch and roll of the ship, do I really want to twist my ankle wearing high heels?

I bring 2 pairs of sandals or a pair of shoes and sandals and flip flops. I also bring runners that I wear on my feet on the plane. My total would be 4 and that's plenty. Why does anyone need to bring more? I'd rather bring more clothes. I guess if you drive to the port that's a different story.