Labadee, Haiti & general shore excursion question

italianblend

I have a question about Labadee - if we wanted to simply "go to the beach" without any tours or the pre-arranged activities - simply walk off the ship and lounge on a beach towel and swim in the ocean on our own - can you do that or do you have to sign up for one of the pre-arranged activities on cruise planner?

Never cruised before and don't know whether or not you have to pay to simply go to the beach on a stop.

They also have a BBQ feast for lunch that is also included with your cruise fare.

If you purchase any of the Drink Packages, you can also use that in Labadee

Are yu sure about the drink package, I thought I read it was not honored there.

Yes indeed! This is the ship's private beach, and on Labadee, everything operates just like on the ship. If you want a drink, you'll present your seapass. Lunch is provided on the beach which is brought from the ship. The staff on the beach comes from the ship. Yes...the drink package DOES work on the beach!!!!

And, just so you know...beaches at other ports are just as easy to use on your own. Rarely do you need an "excursion" to do a beach day or shopping, or just wandering about! While a guidebook won't help you with Labadee, it will tell you all about your other ports! I highly recommend reading one...libraries have guidebooks, if you don't want to buy one.

Edited by cb at sea

Are yu sure about the drink package, I thought I read it was not honored there.

Drink package is honored on Labadee and Coco Cay.

Sometimes you might have to go to a bar, because the roving bar servers are carrying trays of drinks in souvenir glasses, and those glasses are not included in the packages.

I would highly recommend Colombus Cove as the area to be! You can see the ship from that beach too. The water is shallow and clear and warm and not as crowded and noisy as the other areas. We got there early and got our chairs right in the center front and it was great.

I would also recommended you get a Labadoozie drink, it is a frozen fruity drink with or without alcohol and I am still thinking about it months later. The servers will come to you on the beach.

The buffet for lunch is located directly behind you. The walk to lunch from this beach is 2 minutes and the walk from the pier to this beach is about 10 minutes or less.

Have fun! We had a blast on our first cruise...

Do you bring towels from the ship? Also once you get your chair and put your towel on it but then want to do the zip line what are the chances that your stuff will still be there when you return

Yes, you bring towels from the ship. If you don't have anyone to watch your stuff while you are on the zipline, I'd use one of the lockers they have available.

We've done zip line twice. You can claim your chair and leave non-valuable stuff on it. Take seapass and money and such with you to zip. Can either carry it in closed pockets on zip or leave in lockers at zip booth. For best-ever time at labadee try to get a cabana. Nothing beats the relaxing chairs and shade but they are limited.

I am going to Labadee, Jamaica, Caymen, and Cosumel. What do you think the best place is for just lounging on the beach, enjoying the water and horizon, and a little swimming? Trying to see which places we will actually do an activity. Thank you all for the replies!

The only other think I might do is snorkel, the turtle thing, or an underwater sub or something, and maybe the Mayan Ruins. No zip lines or anything like that. But I don't want anything more than a few hours. Even though this is my first cruise, I think I will enjoy the ship more than the shore excursions.

Edited by italianblend

I am going to Labadee, Jamaica, Caymen, and Cosumel. What do you think the best place is for just lounging on the beach, enjoying the water and horizon, and a little swimming? Trying to see which places we will actually do an activity. Thank you all for the replies!

The only other think I might do is snorkel, the turtle thing, or an underwater sub or something, and maybe the Mayan Ruins. No zip lines or anything like that. But I don't want anything more than a few hours. Even though this is my first cruise, I think I will enjoy the ship more than the shore excursions.

I would do it at Labadee as there is not that much else to do there unless you do an excursion. All of the other ports have places you can go off and see or towns you can explore. And an excursion at Labadee means doing wave runners or the zip line. There is no leaving the compound to go explore the near-by town or the fortress or anything that remotely resembles seeing any part of Haiti or interacting with the locals other than the vendors who are allowed into the compound.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I have the same itinerary on Freedom August 2, and will be using Labadee as my beach day. When do you sail?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yes, you bring towels from the ship. If you don't have anyone to watch your stuff while you are on the zipline, I'd use one of the lockers they have available.

Where are the lockers located? We plan to go to Columbus. Also, do we use cash for float mats and shopping, or the ship card? Thanks!

Where are the lockers located? We plan to go to Columbus. Also, do we use cash for float mats and shopping, or the ship card? Thanks!

There are lockers at the zipline check in station, where you get outfitted. You use your seapass card for everything except the craftsmen in the market, who accept cash, and for any extra tips.

Any previous sailors that can advise of what are ,use sees and do at each port. Sailing Aug 9th Independence of the Seas. Western Caribbean. Would

Ike to know what to book, what to stay away from and what I should book through the cruise or just pay on ,y own.

Also, is there any private gatherings just for us on cruise critic? Someone said that some groups on here will have a private get together for those on cruise critic. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk