caribbean senior snorkel

Jeannie70

I am a senior and want to find easy snorkel opportunities in St Martin or places near. I have never tried this and want to give it a go. Also will be in St Thomas, Barbados and St Kitts. Thanks.

Jeannie, seems you're on Celebrity. Check to see what type of snorkeling excursions the ship is offering.

You might want to consider the excursion in St. Thomas to St. John that goes to Trunk Bay. You would be entering the water from land rather than a boat. There will be help for those who have never snorkeled before. :)

LuLu

I agree with the information already provided with an extra thumbs up for Trunk Bay on St. John. Beautiful snorkel place. But, before you determine what you will try, consider your swimming ability. At Trunk Bay, there is an underwater "trail" marked off with explanations of the coral and fish that are normally seen. However, the water along the trail is fairly deep and you are not able to stand on the bottom and rest. On one of our snorkel excursions, we entered the water from a boat and the water depth was about 30 feet! My spouse, who is not a strong swimmer, was just too nervous to enjoy it and, consequently, spent the time sitting on the boat watching everyone else!

Coki Beach in St. Thomas is a good beginner snorkeling spot and you enter the water from the beach so you can go as deep as you feel comfortable going. Hidden Beach (aka Secret Beach) in St. Thomas is another spot where you enter from the beach. At both, snorkel equipment is available for rent.

Wherever you give it a try, I hope it is a fun and enjoyable experience for you! It is truly a great way to see the beauty of the islands from a different perspective! :)

You might want to use online access to check the ship's offerings now. My husband and I are active seniors and experienced snorkelers, and were frustrated on our last Caribbean cruise to find that many snorkeling excursions were limited to participants under the age of 65 and therefore we couldn't take advantage of them. I suspect that opportunities open to over-65s may sell out early.

I have no idea as to your age, but I have been on snorkelling excursions with seniors. One of the best was a snorkel-with-turtles experience, and the eldest snorkeller was in his mid-80s and he did fine, easily keeping up with the pack and diving down to 15 feet or so to follow the turtles.

I later had a few drinks with his wife, who told me that although her husband was a strong swimmer and medically fit, he'd never snorkelled before and wanted to give it ago!

I've done quite a bit of snorkelling, and it's really just a matter of getting a mask & snorkel that fits, being able to swim, and being comfortable in deep water.

VP

DW and I have been avid snorkelers (and divers) for about forty years :). We love to be in the sea, have traveled around the world seeking great snorkel/diving places, and although seniors we still spend many months a year around and in the water.

To the OP we say "good for you" and you are never too old to try new experiences. But snorkeling, although relatively easy for those that know how to swim (it can also be done by non-swimmers), does involve some slight risks. Anyone with any real experience would tell you to never go into the ocean unless you are with a "buddy." And for novice snorkelers you should always wear a BC (an emergency life vest). We totally agree with the other posts that your first snorkel experience is best done on an excursion where you can get some instruction. We also agree with the idea of booking an snorkel excursion to St Johns. As an alternative you could do a snorkel excursion to Coki Beach (also in St Thomas) but we are underwhelmed by this particular snorkel area.

Hank

I'm a senior (65+) snorkeler too -- off & on for years, usu. on a cruise.

I've found that beach entry snorkels are much better now -- I can't handle the stronger waves/current of boat-entry snorkels.

My first snorkel was at Trunk Bay, St. John, many years ago. Since it's a national park, there was a ranger giving lesson then.

Do go with an excursion that offers lessons & help. It's great fun! :)

Also a senior, used to snorkel but not able to now.

Snorkeling from the beach will be easier for you, that was what I did the first couple of times.

If you are not a strong swimmer there is nothing wrong with snorkeling wearing a life vest. Snorkeling is designed to be done on the water's surface, that is the whole purpose of the snorkel.

Snorkeling is a great activity for any age, but I would urge starting seniors to opt for tours with beach entry, rather than from a boat. Climbing out and into a boat is likely to be the hardest part, and familiarizing yourself with the mask and snorkel is a lot easier in shallow water where you do not also have to concentrate on swimming while learning.

As a footnote: buy a snorkel before heading on your cruise - it is inexpensive, takes minimal packing space, and saves you from wondering who had it in his mouth before you. If you find snorkeling is for you, you can then buy the fins and a perfectly fitted mask for future excursions.

Yes, buy your own snorkel mask (you don't really need the fins) and bring it with you. Practice and learn before you leave.

Be careful with ship sponsored snorkeling trips - they usually dump you off in very deep water, which scared me to death (I fear deep water, who knew).

It would be easiest and cheaper just to go to a beach on your own (via taxi) and snorkel from there.

This advice is being given by a non-snorkeler with too much fear so take it as such, lol. I did try though.

For a first time snorkeler, I would suggest avoiding any ship excursions, because they are from boats and are over crowded. A snorkel from the beach will be easier and let you adopt easier, plus if you don't like it you are not stuck on a catamaran for hours.

I say excursion snorkel. There are likely to be other first timers. You always wear a vest that you can inflate or deflate to your desired support. They also may have pool noodles for extra support. You can hang near the boat if you don't feel too comfortable swimming away.

I wouldn't go off by myself from a beach. On our last trip, we got instructions of don't touch this or that, they're poisonous. I wouldn't want to skip the expert advice.

So many people giving me advice. I sure appreciate it. Thanks to all. I President Bush can jump out of a plane, I think I can jump in the ocean.

Just keep in mind that Pres Bush has a buddy (it was actually a tandem jump) when he jumped. And when you try snorkeling always make sure you have a "buddy." In simple terms, never snorkel alone.

Hank

Please buy yourself a mask and snorkel and figure it out using a lake,pool,hot tub....have seen too many people trying to do it for the first time having a miserable time . ....the ocean is moving and much harder to redo your mask if it is leaking and much more sanitary....trunk bay is crowded but well supervised....life guard in a kayak should you need assistance....I adore snorkeling and can barely walk on land...hope you have a wonderful time!