Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?

fstuff1

More nickel and diming?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. More nickel and diming?

• Yes
    • No

I'm with you, it is a choice not a requirement, so not nickel and diming. The only way one can be nickel and dimed, is if they pull that money out of their wallet...no company can nickel and dime you unless you let them.

It IS considered nickel and diming when other cruise lines have either no charge or a lower flat fee.

Umm, isn't specialty dining itself nickel and diming , so what's difference now? That they're charging like a regular land restaurant now? There's still plenty of free options if you don't want to be 'nickel and dimed' for dinner.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Umm, isn't specialty dining itself nickel and diming , so what's difference now? That they're charging like a regular land restaurant now? There's still plenty of free options if you don't want to be 'nickel and dimed' for dinner.

It's going to cost more than it previously did for the exact same food and service. Yes, it is easy to avoid. No, it's not going to affect everyone. Yes, it is nickel and diming. (Nickel and diming doesn't mean that it has to apply to every passenger on every cruise).

Edited by sparks1093

Who wants to have to worry about what things cost when you're on board? It might (on the margin -- remember that the more charges there are for things heretofore provided gratis, the more overhead and bookkeeping will be required) keep cruise prices lower, but only by reducing or eliminating that feeling of "everything included for free, no need to worry about prices once on board."

For me, and I'm willing to bet for all but the most jaded and well travelled CC members (and certainly for the vast unwashed bulk of cruisers generally), that feeling of "all inclusive" has been one of the best aspects of cruising, and why up to now it has provided a superior vacation experience.

It's been the "magic" of cruising. I don't know how Del Rio intends to fill increasing numbers of mega-ships without it.

I couldn't vote on my Ipad Air 2, and can't click on links for some reason, but I would call this nickle and diming as it is pricing every little thing separately, kind of like European restaurants charging for a pat of butter.

We just made Platinum after our last cruise, before KS left. Next cruise not until February. I was so excited to make Platinum but this road is heading towards making that a not very special affair....

I never knew this was a thing until we were dining in Venice and wanted some butter with our bread and the waiter was like "oh, that's extra!" Dang....

It's going to cost more than it previously did for the exact same food and service. Yes, it is easy to avoid. No, it's not going to affect everyone. Yes, it is nickel and diming. (Nickel and diming doesn't mean that it has to apply to every passenger on every cruise).

Actually, it doesn't affect following 2 types of people - the ones that are using UDP/SDP to pay the meals and those that can only eat one main course and/or appretizers/desserts (small appetite). Otherwise, buying more food without the UDP/SDP, will pretty much cost you, just like a regular land restaurant. Not seeing the big deal with this announcement - if anything, it makes the UDP/SDP look very attractive with its low price.

Actually, it doesn't affect following 2 types of people - the ones that are using UDP/SDP to pay the meals and those that can only eat one main course and/or appretizers/desserts (small appetite). Otherwise, buying more food without the UDP/SDP, will pretty much cost you, just like a regular land restaurant. Not seeing the big deal with this announcement - if anything, it makes the UDP/SDP look very attractive with its low price.

Exactly. The only people affected by this are those who will only eat in specialty restaurants either once or twice on the cruise. Everyone else will come out ahead because you purchase the SDP or UDP.

I am noticing a lot of restaurants at home now taking things away from what was normally included in the meal now being taken off and charging for it being extra. I think this is becoming the norm for it. They know how to hit and make more money to boot. The food industry is a money maker. So the ships see the same thing. They don't make the money off the cruise it's self so they make it up in different ways.

So I guess I could say it is all nickel and diming on land and cruising. Your getting hit no matter what. No use in complaining about it. I did not vote as it really does not matter.

Edited by USNUZULOOSE

Still nickel and diming and Del Rio is still changing the "feel" of NCL. Some will like it, some won't, some will stay with them, some won't.

Still nickel and diming and Del Rio is still changing the "feel" of NCL. Some will like it, some won't, some will stay with them, some won't.

Again, specialty dining itself is nickel and diming from the get go; now , with technically 2 choices - la carte or with UDP/SDP aka cover charge. And with the UDP/SDP, one can pick from 3-7 days for a 7 day trip with the 18% autotip already include - again crummy to only thoses that order alot AND often at a specialty without the UDP/SDP. Pretty much a big whoppe dee doo over nothing when you really look at the fine print it.

This is directly from a USA Today article I found and I went right here to see if anyone has posted about it yet:

"The pricing of main courses at Norwegian's signature French restaurant, Le Bistro, will start at $15.99. Main courses at Italian eatery La Cucina will start at $12.99.Two Norwegian extra-charge restaurants that will keep the flat-fee format are Brazilian-style steakhouse Moderno Churrascaria and Japanese eatery Teppanyaki. They'll retain cover charges of $19.95 and $29.95, respectively.

Every Norwegian ship also offers several restaurants that are included in the cost of the cruise, and that will not change, the line says.

Norwegian spokeswoman Vanessa Picariella says the change from flat fee to a la carte pricing at extra-charge eateries shouldn't result in drastically different average check prices than what passengers are paying now.

At Cagney's, for instance, "we expect the average three course check (to be) around $30, with some coming in less and some more for premium main course items like the largest steaks and lobster," Picariella says.

The big different, she notes, is passengers only will be paying for what they eat, and that's in keeping with Norwegian's focus on flexibility and choice.

Norwegian also will continue to sell Specialty Dining Packages that include meals at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina at a set price without extra a la carte charges"

I think it is definitely nickel and diming. You already pay top dollar for a room, food, drinks etc and the specialty restaurants were an option you pay a cover charge for and can try whatever you want. Now if you want to go to the steakhouse and get a top quality steak you will have to make sure you aren't spending more than what the cover charge would've been limiting you to spend less. Essentially they are forcing you to get the dining package if you want to do this. Since I was a kid I always saw cruise lines as an all inclusive vacation (before I drank) but now they are getting more and more pay as you go.

The question was "Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?"

My answer is yes.

Your answer is no.

The question was "Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?"

My answer is yes.

Your answer is no.

So, is no discussion allowed? Just yes or no answers?

My answer is yes.

Your answer is no.

Of course its 'No' because why would any reasonable person cry over something that was a nickel & dime ploy (with plan/package for 'savings' to boot) from the beginning, lament that the price structure has change. Especially, those that are groaning about the change are going to buy/get the UDP/SDP, anyway.

I do not think it's a nickel and dime thing...not at all. If one was to price Sparks or Morton's, or Peter Luger (apologies for missing great steak houses in the Midwest) people are still coming out ahead. Hopefully this limits..."May I have 2 of this and 1 of this and oh..an extra this........." That is what really raises fares and food prices. How much can we eat????? Order extra dinners??? It's just too much and hard to look at!! (IMO) But I digress...No one has to pay for the special restaurants, it is a choice and so is your cruise line and vacation plans.

No intention of insulting anyone, but cruises are still great value.........even w the a la carte change.

Have you seen the new menus, is it the same as the old ones? What is the cost of the small filet? Edited by NLH Arizona

Specialty dining has been around for years on NCL. We first experienced it on NCL back in 2001. Nothing new, they just expanded the offerings. No one is forcing anyone to eat there.

Regardless of the cruise line, we eat in the specialty restaurants on every cruise. Just glad that we have the UDP on our next NCL. We got the one that includes the tips from the promo back in Feb.

Of course its 'No' because why would any reasonable person cry over something that was a nickel & dime ploy (with plan/package for 'savings' to boot) from the beginning, lament that the price structure has change. Especially, those that are groaning about the change are going to buy/get the UDP/SDP, anyway.

LOL, making an observation is far from "crying":rolleyes:.

LOL, making an observation is far from "crying":rolleyes:.

Want to explain again why people are getting upset over a nickel & dime that's been around for years? That actually has a saving plan/package to not overspend and a la carte prices about the same price as Applebee's? Because really, that's what prices come out to when reading the news announcement plus no one is putting a gun to people's head to eat at a specialty restaurant - there's still complimentary dining. And if you don't like complimentary dining food, well that's your personal problem to deal with.

Won't be able to tell if its nickel and diming until the menus come out with pricing. Some people might be able to get what they want for less than the cover charge was. UDP and SDP still apply. So it's too early to tell until menus become available.

My major thought and comments, after seeing the pricing is: why the 99 cents or 95 cents. Any upscale restaurant I've been to does not mess around with the pennies. It kind of lowers the class of the restaurant by doing so IMO. Why not just charge $5 for $4.99 or $8 for $7.95, etc.? Additionally, if I want two starters and a main course that can add up significantly. So, I'm seeing a push from NCL to do a more "inclusive" experience by purchasing the UDP or pay a la carte. One good thing I did see is if you have the UDP Ocean Blue and Bayamo are now only $15 where before they weren't included in the UDP. (Previously if you had the UDP you got 25% off the a la carte pricing). The following is from the NCL release.

Cagney’s Steakhouse, starters on the new à la carte menu range from $4.99 to $7.95 and main courses from $17.99 to $29.99

Le Bistro, in addition to traditional French favorites, including Bouillabaisse, Pan-Seared Jumbo Bay Scallops and Veal Medallions with Sauce Morrel, start$15.99.

La Cucina, antipasti, pasta, risotto and traditional secondi courses start at $12.99 including Osso Buco alla Milanese, Free-Range Chicken with Prosciutto or Pan-Seared Sea Bass Filet.

Moderno Churrascaria and Teppanyaki will remain at a cover charge of $19.95 and $29.95 respectively, as will entertainment dining including Wine Lovers The Musical and For The Record™: The Brat Pack.

Guests who purchase a Norwegian Specialty Dining Package have the freedom to indulge as they wish, as Specialty Dining Packages will allow guests to enjoy La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney’s Steakhouse at no additional charge.

Guests with a Specialty Dining Package can dine in Bayamo by Jose Garces for an additional fee of $15.

Ocean Blue on BA and GA will also begin offering à la carte options on October 3, 2015, and the new à la carte dining will be available fleetwide beginning January 1, 2016.

Cirque Dreams & Dinner and The Illusionarium, will remain at a cover charge.

I assure you I am not in the category of groaners that is going to buy an ultimate dining package. We liked to go to 1 or 2 specialty dinners on a week long cruise. It seemed like a reasonable value for the nicer setting and ambiance / service.

To me, like I said, it feels like nickel and diming to charge for apps and desserts. When a relatively modest cover charge covered soup, salad, app, entree, desert it was nice. Walk in and choose. No thought of budgeting besides the up front cost. We've cruised for decades and one of the things we like was the inclusive nature of the beast, so to speak, and that even when you partook of an upcharge item it was usually one set cover charge.

Generally speaking, meaning this applies to the bulk of people, this is going to be a worse value than before, not a better value. Light eaters may come out ahead of the game, but if you were to order what was previously included with one cover charge you will almost assuredly be paying more.

It is not that I can not afford it. It is that I do not want to pay it. So I won't.

It's alright that your opinion is different than mine. I'm just telling you some of the thoughts behind my opinions.