Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?

fstuff1

More nickel and diming?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. More nickel and diming?

• Yes
    • No

the current price is $29 from 25.

they just raised it.

also just raised is la cucina from $15 to $20 :(

so now all the udp specialty restaurants are either $20 or $30.

(ocean blue is still $40 and not covered by udp.)

I wouldn't spend that on either restaurant - not unless they were to substantially raise the quality! I can eat at a land based Hibachi and order the filet, shrimp, and lobster combo for $30 ... no way teppanyaki is worth that!

It IS considered nickel and diming when other cruise lines have either no charge or a lower flat fee.

Nickel and diming has nothing to do with what a competitor is doing.

Separately, I wrote to Andy, and got a response very shortly after:

"I have looked at the pricing and felt that for the most part the pricing will be similar to the current cover charge. I thought people would like it. My wife and I are different. I generally only have a main course – she likes to have no main course and 2 appetizers (always watching her weight). People are different and this offers more flexibility."

I thought that was a reasoned explanation.

Stephen

. Plenty of other options are provided.

You know if a good number of people decide to take their business to the MDRs instead of specialty because of prices, the MDRs will have absolutely horrible service and unable to meet demand. By the law of unintended consequences, NCL, trying to grab every single dome they can, might be digging themselves a hole in terms of customer satisfaction and frustration. With so many cruise line alternatives, they are toeing a very dangerous line.

"I have looked at the pricing and felt that for the most part the pricing will be similar to the current cover charge. I thought people would like it. My wife and I are different. I generally only have a main course – she likes to have no main course and 2 appetizers (always watching her weight). People are different and this offers more flexibility."

Stephen

That's reasonable and understandable answer.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I like to not worry about charges on my bill at the end of my cruise. I will just do MDR going forward. I always had a good meal in them anyway. It is a shame they keep changing things. Guess they never heard of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Edited by FootballParent

Stephen

I think that a better answer from Andy would have been one that offered the guest a CHOICE of either paying the flat rate (current pricing) or the a la carte rate (new pricing). That way everyone could choose what best fits their needs...and THAT would really be flexibility.

more maximizing of shareholder value at the expense of us customers :mad:

I'm not so thrilled as a shareholder, with decisions like this, you may drive passengers to other more stable lines. The last time I checked, there is no shareholder benefit offered to us when we cruise NCL, and costs are passed on to me as well.:mad:

Want to explain again why people are getting upset over a nickel & dime that's been around for years? That actually has a saving plan/package to not overspend and a la carte prices about the same price as Applebee's? Because really, that's what prices come out to when reading the news announcement plus no one is putting a gun to people's head to eat at a specialty restaurant - there's still complimentary dining. And if you don't like complimentary dining food, well that's your personal problem to deal with.

Why should i try to explain again when you didn't understand it the first however many times.

I think that a better answer from Andy would have been one that offered the guest a CHOICE of either paying the flat rate (current pricing) or the a la carte rate (new pricing). That way everyone could choose what best fits their needs...and THAT would really be flexibility.

I really like your suggestion. Land-based restaurants offer A La Carte items and pre-fixed menu. Isn't NCL trying to be more like a land-based restaurant in terms of offering customers the flexibility they want. So how come NCL cannot offer customers the flexibility of A La Carte and pre-fixed prices.

I want NCL to prove to me that the price is the same if I order A La Carte (appetizer, entree and dessert) as if I am paying the $30 cover charge for Cagney's.

Edited by jmele999

I really like your suggestion. Land-based restaurants offer A La Carte items and pre-fixed menu. Isn't NCL trying to be more like a land-based restaurant in terms of offering customers the flexibility they want. So how come NCL cannot offer customers the flexibility of A La Carte and pre-fixed prices.

I want NCL to prove to me that the price is the same if I order A La Carte (appetizer, entree and dessert) as if I am paying the $30 cover charge for Cagney's.

Because the UDP/SDP is NCL's verison of pre-fixed/cover charge dining now.

Why should i try to explain again when you didn't understand it the first however many times.

Yet, you're moping over something that's a nickel & dime ploy from the beginning. You're either going to dine at a specialty restaurant(s) or you're not - or even better, don't sail on NCL at all knowing they now charge 'more' for specialty diming. Easy Peasy.

I'm not so thrilled as a shareholder, with decisions like this, you may drive passengers to other more stable lines. The last time I checked, there is no shareholder benefit offered to us when we cruise NCL, and costs are passed on to me as well.:mad:

You're entitled to $100 OBC on every trip, but it's not combinable with other discounts.

If you HAVE other discounts, they offer an alternative benefit which is dinner for 2 at Cagney's, with a bottle of wine. (approx. value $100).

That seems pretty fair to me. Just fill in the form & submit: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-5WOY6H/0x0x681828/4AF17A4F-D574-4094-BDE8-5AD5FA288377/blankPDF.pdf

Stephen

I assure you I am not in the category of groaners that is going to buy an ultimate dining package. We liked to go to 1 or 2 specialty dinners on a week long cruise. It seemed like a reasonable value for the nicer setting and ambiance / service.

To me, like I said, it feels like nickel and diming to charge for apps and desserts. When a relatively modest cover charge covered soup, salad, app, entree, desert it was nice. Walk in and choose. No thought of budgeting besides the up front cost. We've cruised for decades and one of the things we like was the inclusive nature of the beast, so to speak, and that even when you partook of an upcharge item it was usually one set cover charge.

Generally speaking, meaning this applies to the bulk of people, this is going to be a worse value than before, not a better value. Light eaters may come out ahead of the game, but if you were to order what was previously included with one cover charge you will almost assuredly be paying more.

It is not that I can not afford it. It is that I do not want to pay it. So I won't.

It's alright that your opinion is different than mine. I'm just telling you some of the thoughts behind my opinions.

This exactly. It was nice to know you could pay one reasonable price for everything. Part of the appeal was to be able to try new and different apps, sides, and desserts. If I have to weigh the pros and cons of what I order it just isn't fun anymore.

I agree with this. They are charging the same price as comparable land restaurants, except the problem is we've already paid for room and board as part of our ticket price, so you're in effect double paying for dinner and the true price of the specialty dining is much higher than it appears to be, way more expensive than comparable restaurants at land based resorts when you factor in that you've already paid for board. I just can't imagine a couple will go out and have a nearly $100 steakhouse dinner at Cagneys when they could be eating for free in the MDR, but I guess time will tell.

I think I may finally try Ruth's Chris...

And I don't need to spend on a cruise to do it....

This exactly. It was nice to know you could pay one reasonable price for everything. Part of the appeal was to be able to try new and different apps, sides, and desserts. If I have to weigh the pros and cons of what I order it just isn't fun anymore.

Totally agree! We have been cruising for over 20 years. Part of the fun is trying new things, but now we have to think it over and decide if it's really worth it. On land, I might order an appetizer, enjoy their salad, and then take most of my main course home for dinner the next day. At sea that just won't work and that makes it a $$ decision. No fun:eek:

Kind of a biased "poll" wouldn't you say. You don't know or even come close to actual "new" costs starting in January. Then as the "poll" originator you immediately post your reason as to why it's bad.

Last time NCL made any changes the same people made the complaint that no one was given advance notice. Now NCL gives almost 6 months advance notice of a change to a voluntary charge service and that is bad. How would you suggest NCL make the change?

When we know actual costs and can compare to the before and after pricing, a determination might be made. Until then, the jury is and should be out!!

Even when you take into account that you have already paid for the three course MDR dinner in your cruise fare?

That's why it humorous to me (maybe some others too) that some people are crying over specialty restaurants price change - complimentary dining is already part of fare but yet moaning about the 'extra' cost to specialty restaurants, which is a nickel & dime ploy to get people to spend money and away from complimentary places, anyway. The irony.....

Kind of a biased "poll" wouldn't you say. You don't know or even come close to actual "new" costs starting in January. Then as the "poll" originator you immediately post your reason as to why it's bad.

Last time NCL made any changes the same people made the complaint that no one was given advance notice. Now NCL gives almost 6 months advance notice of a change to a voluntary charge service and that is bad. How would you suggest NCL make the change?

When we know actual costs and can compare to the before and after pricing, a determination might be made. Until then, the jury is and should be out!!

Dang, you are making way too much sense. One poster said that we would be paying more for the same quality and I asked if they had seen the new menus and what the small filet would cost...of course, there was no response.