Royal Caribbean Ditches Dynamic Dining for Non-Quantum Class Cruise Ships

We are booked for Harmony for January 2017 and I was actually looking forward to Dynamic Dining. I wonder if they will still have the same number of complimentary dining venues, or if they are giving up some of the "smaller restaurants" to incorporate a larger main dining room. In any event, I'm sure we will still enjoy our cruise! I was just looking forward to trying something different.

I was also looking forward to trying out the Dynamic Dining... oh well, at least we will be on Anthem in May 2016!

Anyways, I thought Harmony's deck plans already reflected all of the complimentary restaurants for dynamic dining? If so, how will this be handled, do you think they will stay complimentary or will they become a "Pay for" option?

I see that American Icon, The Grande, and Chic are all directly above each other but what about Wonderland and Coastal Kitchen? It will be interesting to see what happens!

Unfortunately, it looks like Bayonne will still have to deal with DD.:(

Glad to see this horrible concept go! Chopping up the MDR in ships never designed for DD was plain crazy. RCCL really needed to focus on adding more choices to the MDR menu instead of creating smaller dining venues that you had to book in order to have a different menu. Once the Classic option was added, I suspected that DD was on its way out. RIP DD!:eek:

MARAPRINCE

This is Fantastic News! Whether or not you think this is an embarrassment for Royal in the end they listened to their guests!

I think its great to offer it on Quantum, giving us a choice of a ship with DD (if you want to try it or like it) and for everyone else the dining room and ambiance that we love stays the same!

I do agree that they need to update MDR menus big time.

Great news for traditional cruisers.....you might like DD if that was your first cruise and you did not know any better! We cruise to relax and our Quantum cruise in April was a lot of "work" making reservations, planning, etc. We want to enjoy a cruise.

Very disappointing news.

The MDR can be quite staid - it comes across as being perfect for P&O or Holland America. And Windjammer isnt really a particularly nice alternative for an evening meal.

On the 13 night cruise we've just finished we tried to limit MDR to no more than 2 consecutive nights and split it up with Chops, Giovanni's, Johnny Rockets and a night out off the ship when we were docked until 1.00am.

It just seems a shame that we have to pay to find somewhere with a better ambience.

I was also looking forward to trying out the Dynamic Dining... oh well, at least we will be on Anthem in May 2016!

Anyways, I thought Harmony's deck plans already reflected all of the complimentary restaurants for dynamic dining? If so, how will this be handled, do you think they will stay complimentary or will they become a "Pay for" option?

I see that American Icon, The Grande, and Chic are all directly above each other but what about Wonderland and Coastal Kitchen? It will be interesting to see what happens!

Harmony was originally supposed to have 3 DD venues. They were stacked right on top of each other in the exact place of the MDR's on the other Oasis Class ships. According to pictures, there is a 3 story atrium in the center (Just like Oasis and Allure). These 3 restaurants will just be turned into the regular MDR and all three floors will have the same menu which changes nightly.

Coastal Kitchen is a suite perk and is already functioning on the Oasis and Allure without DD. It really has nothing to do with DD. Wonderland will just function as another specialty restaurant.

It just seems a shame that we have to pay to find somewhere with a better ambience.

You think Johny Rocket's has a better ambiance than the MDR? Personally, I think the MDR has a better ambiance than probably 95+% of all restaurants I ever eat at.

Great news for traditional cruisers.....you might like DD if that was your first cruise and you did not know any better! We cruise to relax and our Quantum cruise in April was a lot of "work" making reservations, planning, etc. We want to enjoy a cruise.

Well we have been on some cruises and booked Anthem due to DD. So we have tried "the better" option already. It took me about 20 minutes to make reservations for our 12 day cruise. For getting new, younger customers DD would be a major improvement.

For us planning the whole vacation is also part of the fun. Then we can relax on actual vacation when all plans are clear and get most out of it.

Edited by JezzaC

Great news for traditional cruisers.....you might like DD if that was your first cruise and you did not know any better!

Let me see...

• I LOVED DD
  • I've sailed on 17 of the 23 ships in the fleet currently afloat so definitely not my first cruise, and I do know better (for myself).

We cruise to relax and our Quantum cruise in April was a lot of "work" making reservations, planning, etc. We want to enjoy a cruise.

I cruise to have fun, enjoy new experiences, see new places. I like doing things, being active. I enjoy meeting people, trying new menu items. I'm full of life on a cruise. Quantum was awesome for me and one of my favorite cruises ever. I'm an experienced cruiser yet I want different things for my cruising experience compared to you... and that's ok for both of us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47144439#post47144439

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Hoopster95

Very disappointing news.

The MDR can be quite staid - it comes across as being perfect for P&O or Holland America. And Windjammer isnt really a particularly nice alternative for an evening meal.

On the 13 night cruise we've just finished we tried to limit MDR to no more than 2 consecutive nights and split it up with Chops, Giovanni's, Johnny Rockets and a night out off the ship when we were docked until 1.00am.

It all depends. If you have great tablemates, then eating in the MDR is great. If your tablemates aren't a source of great conversation, or they keep skipping out to other restaurants, then eating in the MDR can be boring.

Two cruises ago, we had great people at dinner, and we wound up on each other's Christmas card list. The last cruise, the people at dinner were nice, but we only saw them three nights.

I thought that when Freedom went into its last drydock, its MDRs were converted to the various DD venues. Was that plan scuttled, and the MDRs simply redecorated?

By the time Freedom had her dry dock, they had already "delayed" deployment of DD.

Edited by clarea