I'm finding it hard to believe?

yoj13

I was told by a former TA of ours( she retired) that when a TA accepts a large group of cabins on hold for future customers( groups) she also gets the same number of early or late seating spots. These spots are held by the TA as long as they have available cabins. When the unsold cabins are returned to inventory, which is usually 90-120 days out, the dining slots that go with these unsold cabins become available. So if your TA does not hold large ( group) space on the ship, you will probably be wait listed for your dining preference until about 75 days out.

I was also told this by one of the TA's we use. Then as cabins are booked and people choose which dining time they want it seems to even out. I also think it takes time to pull all the suite and Blu passengers out of the mix. We have always ended up with the dining choice we wanted in the end.

We have select dining for a future cruise. If we also have the free gratuities promo, it sounds as if we may have to watch out that the pre-paid gratuities for select dining aren't added to our bill - is this correct, or does the promo credit the gratuities charge? Will also be careful that the gratuities aren't included in insurance.

Select is becoming the only available option as Celebrity wants everyone to pre-pay gratuities before they get aboard. Too many people are cancelling their gratuities that it is affecting the crew's wages and is causing a lot of ill feeling with their staff.

Celebrity please make gratuities (service charge) mandatory across the board then dining choice will be normalised.

Or rather please pay your staff a decent wage and make gratuities voluntary as they should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently booked a cruise for Oct. 2016. I asked for and received traditional late dining. But I was also charged for gratuities, even though I have the free gratuities with the 1/2/3 deal (also have the drink package and $300 OBC). TA is looking into why we were charged for the gratuities.

With the free gratuities with 123Go, the grats have to be added to the invoice and they are removed later. This occurs with every single pre-paid gratuity booking. Patience, grasshopper. :) Your TA will be told that, I am sure.

I was told by a former TA of ours( she retired) that when a TA accepts a large group of cabins on hold for future customers( groups) she also gets the same number of early or late seating spots. These spots are held by the TA as long as they have available cabins. When the unsold cabins are returned to inventory, which is usually 90-120 days out, the dining slots that go with these unsold cabins become available. So if your TA does not hold large ( group) space on the ship, you will probably be wait listed for your dining preference until about 75 days out.

You are correct. When travel agencies take out group space, they allocate dining to all guests in that space. That, and only that, is the reason why the dining times are 'filled'. It is NOT that Celebrity is switching to all Select, or trying to get you to pay for your gratuities at final. It is because travel agencies have locked in the dining times.

When group space is recalled, dining times will open up.

With the free gratuities with 123Go, the grats have to be added to the invoice and they are removed later. This occurs with every single pre-paid gratuity booking. Patience, grasshopper. :) Your TA will be told that, I am sure...
The grats don't have to be added to the invoice for any reason other than Celebrity IT sucks. I'm tempted to call X, make bookings, wait for them to tell me no traditional is available, and then say "Sorry X, cancel my reservation". If enough people were willing to tell X to stuff it, they would soon quit doing this. I have been through the "sorry, no Traditional dining available" route more than once. Yes, I did eventually end up with what I wanted, but jumping through X's hoops does not enhance my experience of dealing with X, and just one more little nit that discourages from dealing with X.

This is the case with a group I often travel with. Our group has reserved the entire MDR ate seating for our cruise, even though they have not yet sold all their inventory for a November cruise.

Or rather please pay your staff a decent wage and make gratuities voluntary as they should be

And raise the standard cruise fare, and oh, wait, then we are at the exact same place ere were before. It's just semantics if we itemize and pay gratuities or pay a higher fare and don't get itemized gratuities.

Anyone with an issue with gratuities is just trying to be cheap and not pay the staff the gratuities - plain and simple. Pay them now or later what's it really matter. Bottom line remains the same.

People are just trying to hide behind bogus excuses and rationalization for not wanting auto gratuities, often falling into the following:

• "I don't want to prepay anything it costs me interest", (really tying up your cash for 60 days before sailing is going to ruin your investment portfolio?)
  • "I would tip MORE if I was allowed to tip on my own" - well guess what, no one is stopping anyone from leaving even more.
  • "I want to use my OBC to pay gratuities" - as others have noted, get on ship change to fixed dining, get them refunded to seapass account then use OBC to pay them. If you can't get into fixed dining, then you KNOW that it was in fact full, unless you are watching an empty dining room at dinner.

Don't like gratuities, find a line that includes them in the fare, and look at how much more those fares are, and how much different the vibe is on those ships.

I've yet to see a rationed, economically and operationally well-thought out reason why standard gratuities/service charges or whatever one wants to call them, should be taken out of the works. The excuses above are not rational or well thought, they just spew the standard rhetoric around gratuities.

And raise the standard cruise fare, and oh, wait, then we are at the exact same place ere were before. It's just semantics if we itemize and pay gratuities or pay a higher fare and don't get itemized gratuities.

Anyone with an issue with gratuities is just trying to be cheap and not pay the staff the gratuities - plain and simple. Pay them now or later what's it really matter. Bottom line remains the same.

People are just trying to hide behind bogus excuses and rationalization for not wanting auto gratuities, often falling into the following:

•  
  • "I don't want to prepay anything it costs me interest", (really tying up your cash for 60 days before sailing is going to ruin your investment portfolio?)

• "I would tip MORE if I was allowed to tip on my own" - well guess what, no one is stopping anyone from leaving even more.

• "I want to use my OBC to pay gratuities" - as others have noted, get on ship change to fixed dining, get them refunded to seapass account then use OBC to pay them. If you can't get into fixed dining, then you KNOW that it was in fact full, unless you are watching an empty dining room at dinner.

Don't like gratuities, find a line that includes them in the fare, and look at how much more those fares are, and how much different the vibe is on those ships.

I've yet to see a rationed, economically and operationally well-thought out reason why standard gratuities/service charges or whatever one wants to call them, should be taken out of the works. The excuses above are not rational or well thought, they just spew the standard rhetoric around gratuities.

So you tip the pilot and stewards etc of the plane; you tip train drivers; you tip drivers etc on public busses. Try visiting a few countries where it is insulting/demeaning to tip eg Australia, countries like France and Spain where in restaurants it is included in the cost of your meal, or countries like The whole of Europe where you are not expected to tip for every single drink you buy. Because it is an ingrained part of your culture does not make it "right". Tipping is voluntary for service over and above what can reasonably be expected. Compulsory gratuities is just another " taxation without representation".

Just to put another spin on this. I was looking at the Reflection Transatlantic leaving Oct 23, of this year. The only dining available to choose is Traditional, early or late. That sure blows some of these theories out of the water. To get Select(which I prefer) you have to get on the Waitlist.

So you tip the pilot and stewards etc of the plane; you tip train drivers; you tip drivers etc on public busses. Try visiting a few countries where it is insulting/demeaning to tip eg Australia, countries like France and Spain where in restaurants it is included in the cost of your meal, or countries like The whole of Europe where you are not expected to tip for every single drink you buy. Because it is an ingrained part of your culture does not make it "right". Tipping is voluntary for service over and above what can reasonably be expected. Compulsory gratuities is just another " taxation without representation".

No I don't tip everyone, only those whose occupations have a tradition and culture of tipping, and those who I am made aware of prior to sailing that I need to tip. The tips on X for example cover cabin staff and ding room staff. It does not get split with the Captain, or guy driving the tenders, nor do I hand them a cash tip, as their salaries and occupations are not among those who are tipped.

In general, employees prefer receiving tips, as its often far more advantageous to them versus being paid a minimum wage and no tips, in a culture where tipping is a norm and is standard.

It's engrained in culture, as well as ingrained into the economics of certain places in as much as the culture and tradition o other places differes. Yes places like Australia, tipping isn't so common, of course minimum wage is $15 an hour there, so you are in fact tipping by paying higher prices on food at restaurants so the staff there get the minimum $15 an hour wage.

Tipping people in cultures where tipping is expected is "right". Not tipping people in these positions is "not right".

Pork is forbidden in many places I visit, but I like Pork, using your rationale

Because it is an ingrained part of your culture does not make it "right"
means that me going into one of their houses of worship with a sausage sandwich would be "right" since it is not "right" of those people to expect me to follow their custom and tradition.

Patting someone on the head in the USA is a sign of affection, in Thailand, it's a sign of rudeness. When in Thailand, I'll follow the custom of Thailand and not pat kids on the head, when sailing on a US-owned ship, I'll follow the customs and rules on that ship.

Don't sail US owned cruise ships, sail only those who are from Australia or Europe, where often (though not always) they follow their local standards and don't itemize gratuities, and have higher cruise fares that subsidize the lack of gratuities.

Read some threads about the Pride of America from NCL in Hawaii, the only ship that can sail around Hawaii without visiting foreign port, as the staff is paid standard US wages since they never leave US waters. It's expensive, and many note service levels are below other experiences since there is no need to earn the gratuities. They did 3 ships for a period if time in Hawaii, but the added costs of labor made them economically impossible to maintain, so now down to 1 expensive itinerary.

I can tell you that in Australia, when I have left tips, not one single server has said "sorry sir, it's not a custom to leave a tip here, please take this back". Nope, that's never once happened to me. Not Australia, not the UK, not Italy. Heck, a bus driver had a tip jar taped to the pole on the shuttle bus I took from the port to Rome after my TA this spring. Many restaurants in these places have tip lines on their receipts even (though many do not - but it goes to show that even in "non tipping" places, tipping still happens).

What itemization of gratuities does, is allow the cruise lines to not call that as "income" and therefore not pay taxes in jurisdictions with a tax system that taxes gross revenues versus net profits on that piece that is truly being passed on to staff - it's a reimbursement, not income to the lines. This enhances their profits, and keeps our cabin fares low by not paying certain taxes on this charge.

So still waiting for a rational reason to stop tips, that is mathematically and operationally thought out. Gratuities are no more "taxation without representation" than a fuel surcharge is on a FedEx Delivery. They are merely a fee to be paid, which is covered untie the contract, which gives YOU the option to cruise or not - to pay the gratuities or not. You have representation - yourself - you decide to pay them by sailing or not pay them by not sailing or sailing a different line.

Edited by cle-guy

"When in Rome, do like Romans". In spite of their Malta flag, Celebrity is a US based company, serving a majority of North American customers and operating with a North American culture, even when they sail in Europe and Asia.

Most of the Celebrity customers understand, accept and are comfortable with their tipping policy.

People who are not comfortable with it, have other options such as sailing on European ships such as Costa or some luxury lines.

"When in Rome, do like Romans". In spite of their Malta flag, Celebrity is a US based company, serving a majority of North American customers and operating with a North American culture, even when they sail in Europe and Asia.

Most of the Celebrity customers understand, accept and are comfortable with their tipping policy.

People who are not comfortable with it, have other options such as sailing on European ships such as Costa or some luxury lines.

Normally RCI, Cunard or Azamara. Never tried Costa - I presume you are a regular!

But enough on the subject we are all entitled to our own opinions.

This is the case with a group I often travel with. Our group has reserved the entire MDR ate seating for our cruise, even though they have not yet sold all their inventory for a November cruise.

Must be a very large group!!!!!!!!

Must be a very large group!!!!!!!!

It's an annual sailing - group is between 700 and 1000 in recent years.

... edited ...

Sorry, a bit late to the party but I really enjoyed the laugh.

Given that tipping is an irrational behaviour logical arguments will do nothing to sway the entrenched self belief of those who promote tipping.

Thanks again for the laugh.

Re: Select Dining

A group of 8 were on a Baltic Cruise in May. We all had select dining, ate at the same table at the same time, with the same wait staff for the whole cruise. We had prepaid our gratuities and gave additional tips on the last evening. It really was no different for us than having early or late dining. I do realize for smaller groups or couples they may have different table mates each night......

So what if Celebrity offered 2 fares, 1 with a-la-carte pricing, and 1 all in. Actually, we could consider the current big-better-best program a look into that future....

Your trip ends up costing if itemized:

$1000 cabin fare

$200 taxes

$300 Gratuities

------

$1500 total amount paid for cruise

Or if they went with all in pricing you end up paying:

$1500 - All-in crusie fare

------

If "gratuities" as a line item charge went away, all that would happen is cabin fares would increase by $15, maybe even $20 a day and we'd pay the same amount all said and done. The cruise lines aren't simply going to do away with that revenue/remibursement stream, they would bury it in standard pricing.

Celebrity's cabin fares the look more expensive than other lines do, and people stay away. Remember over 40% of cruisers are on their first cruise according to CLIA, and the average multiple-cruiser has only done 3 cruises. These people with slight knowledge of things, would not think to consider gratuities really, they would simply see the cabin fare listed when doing searches and determine that for some reason other lines are $20 a day cheaper, without considering the benefit of inclusions in the fare.

I would further surmise that doing away with gratuities, would actually cause a decrease in service levels, as then all staff would be paid high hourly wages, regardless of the tip pool, so manangement would downsize staffing at certain slower times to save expense of hourly wages. Now management cares less about hourly wages as it's so small, it's not a consideration in the big scheme of things, so they work staff, and thus provide good service to us, because staff are getting tips to as their pay. Again, I point you to the costly NCL Hawaii cruises where staff are paid normal wages, and point to the fact that NCL is the only line doing round-Hawaii cruses these days, due to the cost of operations they have dropped 2 others ships, and no one else wants in on it.

Attracting quality staff would diminish as well, as good bartenders used to making a fortune with tips, would decide to seek employment on other lines and places, thus leaving the inexperienced staff to tend our drinks. An 8 hour shift paid $10 an hour and no tips means $80 in income for the day, versus today making $2 an hours plus tips on sales they make certainly way over that. Martini bar alone, gratuities are $1.80 or more per drink. Assume they make just 10 drinks an hour for those 8 hours (1 every 6 minutes), they make $144 in tips plus the $16 in wages. As an employee, I'm definitely going to take the $160 per day versus the $80 per day job, and will be quite happy doing it.

I just don't get why people have such a hard time understanding simple economics and financial impacts of such decisions.

How about Celebrity offers one cabin fare to bookers in countries accustomed to gratuities, and offers a higher fare but doesn't itemize gratuities for countries that don't normally pay gratuities.....Accomplishes the needs of those who are against gratuities, as well as lets those of us who understand them, to itemize them out.

Anyone who really doesn't like to see the gratuities itemized, please feel free to email me your invoices, I'm really good with Adobe and can retype the face of it to remove the gratuities line items and keep the total the same - therefore in effect removing gratuities from your vacation.

Edited by cle-guy

It isn't about the money, it's about being honest with the charges. Normally a gratuity is extra reward for a service the was above and beyond normal, with the amount determined by the giver AFTER the service is rendered. Being friendly or always smiling does not qualify. I do Select dining, so Celebrity tells me how much to give and makes me prepay it before I even get on the ship doesn't meet the standard requirement of a gratuity. If I get terrible service, what is my recourse for getting back part, or all my prepayment? Add it to the base cruise fee or call it a service charge, I don't care.

Anybody wiling to alter cruise documents, with Adobe, makes me question what other shady, or illegal things they might do.

So what if Celebrity offered 2 fares, 1 with a-la-carte pricing, and 1 all in. Actually, we could consider the current big-better-best program a look into that future....

Your trip ends up costing if itemized:

$1000 cabin fare

$200 taxes

$300 Gratuities

------

Or if they went with all in pricing you end up paying:

$1500 - All-in crusie fare

------

If "gratuities" as a line item charge went away, all that would happen is cabin fares would increase by $15, maybe even $20 a day and we'd pay the same amount all said and done. The cruise lines aren't simply going to do away with that revenue/remibursement stream, they would bury it in standard pricing.

Celebrity's cabin fares the look more expensive than other lines do, and people stay away. Remember over 40% of cruisers are on their first cruise according to CLIA, and the average multiple-cruiser has only done 3 cruises. These people with slight knowledge of things, would not think to consider gratuities really, they would simply see the cabin fare listed when doing searches and determine that for some reason other lines are $20 a day cheaper, without considering the benefit of inclusions in the fare.

I would further surmise that doing away with gratuities, would actually cause a decrease in service levels, as then all staff would be paid high hourly wages, regardless of the tip pool, so manangement would downsize staffing at certain slower times to save expense of hourly wages. Now management cares less about hourly wages as it's so small, it's not a consideration in the big scheme of things, so they work staff, and thus provide good service to us, because staff are getting tips to as their pay. Again, I point you to the costly NCL Hawaii cruises where staff are paid normal wages, and point to the fact that NCL is the only line doing round-Hawaii cruses these days, due to the cost of operations they have dropped 2 others ships, and no one else wants in on it.

Attracting quality staff would diminish as well, as good bartenders used to making a fortune with tips, would decide to seek employment on other lines and places, thus leaving the inexperienced staff to tend our drinks. An 8 hour shift paid $10 an hour and no tips means $80 in income for the day, versus today making $2 an hours plus tips on sales they make certainly way over that. Martini bar alone, gratuities are $1.80 or more per drink. Assume they make just 10 drinks an hour for those 8 hours (1 every 6 minutes), they make $144 in tips plus the $16 in wages. As an employee, I'm definitely going to take the $160 per day versus the $80 per day job, and will be quite happy doing it.

I just don't get why people have such a hard time understanding simple economics and financial impacts of such decisions.

How about Celebrity offers one cabin fare to bookers in countries accustomed to gratuities, and offers a higher fare but doesn't itemize gratuities for countries that don't normally pay gratuities.....Accomplishes the needs of those who are against gratuities, as well as lets those of us who understand them, to itemize them out.

Anyone who really doesn't like to see the gratuities itemized, please feel free to email me your invoices, I'm really good with Adobe and can retype the face of it to remove the gratuities line items and keep the total the same - therefore in effect removing gratuities from your vacation.

Just as an FYI, US federal law pretty much precludes any other cruise line doing anything like NCL in Hawaii. This goes back a dozen years or so.

Just as an FYI, US federal law pretty much precludes any other cruise line doing anything like NCL in Hawaii. This goes back a dozen years or so.

The cruise works, (as I understand) because all employees are paid as normal US employees are paid, and follow all US wage regulations and other regulations all according to US Law primarily, then international and Maritime laws apply.

This has a lot to do with why Cruises to Nowhere are ending Jan 1 - it was US Immigration that stopped them, as staff on those ships do not work under US wages and do not have appropriate work VISA do do work within the USA, which a CTN technically never leaves the USA, thus the issue. Ships that port here and leave to a foreign territory, have different immigration requirements.

But Pride of America on NCL, all staff and the ship itself follows US Immigration requirements and laws, which makes it costly to operate, which makes no one want to get into that market (made NCL pill 2 additional ships out of the market), which makes the cruise itself more costly than typical 7 day sailings.

So really, any cruise line can come into Hawaii, do round trip cruises around Hawaii, all they have to do is pay US wages and follow all US laws - but costs/benefit analysis makes this an unsound business decision for expansion.

It isn't about the money, it's about being honest with the charges. Normally a gratuity is extra reward for a service the was above and beyond normal, with the amount determined by the giver AFTER the service is rendered. Being friendly or always smiling does not qualify. I do Select dining, so Celebrity tells me how much to give and makes me prepay it before I even get on the ship doesn't meet the standard requirement of a gratuity. If I get terrible service, what is my recourse for getting back part, or all my prepayment? Add it to the base cruise fee or call it a service charge, I don't care.

Anybody wiling to alter cruise documents, with Adobe, makes me question what other shady, or illegal things they might do.

Easy, go to guest services, explain your dissatisfaction, fill out the form to remove the part of your gratuity that upset you and that's that. Some report issues of changing gratuities, but in instance of repeated bad service, they bend on the rule - I've traveled with people who've done this and had prepaid tips. Really, in any instance of bad service, first step would be to first mention to the particular staff member, then decide if it's necessary to escalate - give them a chance to come around before just flat on removing your tips. If this don't work then Guest Services it is. If that don't work, Hotel Manager should come to assist.

But of course they will share your displeasure with the particular staff involved, so be ready for that cloud to follow you, this is done so that such staff have an opportunity to "win you back" by doing extra for you. I;ve had GREAT luck turning around inattentive staff simply by letting them know on my way out of dinner what issues were had. Subsequent visits, they tended to trip over themselves to make me happy. Specifically in my case, it was how long it took a sommelier to get to our table in the MDR the 1st 2 nights.

Another thing about prepaid tips, this causes 2200 people on each sailing to leave $14 per day behind in cash - that's $215,600 in CASH that people don't have on the ship to be stolen for a 7 day cruise (nearly half a million on 14 days!) - it could be part of X's and other lines Security Policies, less cash means less chance for theft and fewer people claiming theft that need investigated.

What you are suggesting, is add to fare, then you TRULY have zero recourse in the case of bad service. But having it as an add-on and separated, allows people opportunity to make modifications.

But what we know about cruises especially, is gratuities are really part of the standard wage, and not delivered for good service - it's just the way it is.

And by the way, definition of Gratuity says nothing about extra payment for good service regardless of what we all like to try and define the word as. It's simply a payment above the amount due for a service.

Definition of GRATUITY:

noun, plural gratuities.

1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

So really, any cruise line can come into Hawaii, do round trip cruises around Hawaii, all they have to do is pay US wages and follow all US laws - but costs/benefit analysis makes this an unsound business decision for expansion.

This is inaccurate. To perform cabotage between two US ports requires that the ship be US flagged (which requires it also be US built). The risk of Jones Act/PVSA violations is far too high doing cruises around Hawaii to risk it.

NCL's POA ship has a specific legal exemption (literally an act of Congress) to be allowed to be flagged in the US despite being a foreign-built ship, permitting it to operate a Hawaii itinerary without risk of PVSA violations.

I'd like to see the cruise line offer the option to remove Gratuities once and only once and that option is at check in.

Those who remove them, clean their own staterooms, bathrooms, fetch their own meals from the galley, get their own linens from the laundry, bus their tables, wash their dishes, leave the room in spotless condition on checkout etc.

After all if you're not paying for the service, why expect it for free ?

Gratuities, TIPS, Daily Service Charge, by whatever name the payment is called, is a cost for the cruise. It is the way the industry prices the product, and to stiff someone just because you can is really just cheap.

TIPS, Gratuities whatever may not be your custom, it may not be the way things are done where you come from but when on a cruise, you leave where you come from, you leave your customs behind and need to adapt.

Or just stay home.

I'd like to see the cruise line offer the option to remove Gratuities once and only once and that option is at check in.

Those who remove them, clean their own staterooms, bathrooms, fetch their own meals from the galley, get their own linens from the laundry, bus their tables, wash their dishes, leave the room in spotless condition on checkout etc.

After all if you're not paying for the service, why expect it for free ?

Gratuities, TIPS, Daily Service Charge, by whatever name the payment is called, is a cost for the cruise. It is the way the industry prices the product, and to stiff someone just because you can is really just cheap.

TIPS, Gratuities whatever may not be your custom, it may not be the way things are done where you come from but when on a cruise, you leave where you come from, you leave your customs behind and need to adapt.

Or just stay home.

Get real! The cost of the cruise includes costs for fuel, food, cleaning, Staff Wages and Profit etc so we are paying for the service so no need to do it oneself!

China is set to be the biggest cruising nation (RCI moving 2 of it's newest Quantum class down into Asia) and they will not be tipping 20% ! so just watch this space.

Also just look at how many cruises outside USA are now "pre paid gratuities included"

The cruise lines have been underpaying their staff for years whilst raking in massive profits.

Get real! The cost of the cruise includes costs for fuel, food, cleaning, Staff Wages and Profit etc so we are paying for the service so no need to do it oneself!

China is set to be the biggest cruising nation (RCI moving 2 of it's newest Quantum class down into Asia) and they will not be tipping 20% ! so just watch this space.

Also just look at how many cruises outside USA are now "pre paid gratuities included"

The cruise lines have been underpaying their staff for years whilst raking in massive profits.

Cruise lines have not exactly been raking in massive profits. The profit margin for cruise lines is pretty thin. This last quarter, RCL (the parent company of Celebrity) for example had a net income of 45 million, out of total sales of 1.8 billion for a profit margin of 0.25 percent. Considering the amount of capital investment the industry takes, their profit margin is razor thin.