I'm finding it hard to believe?

yoj13

Today, I have made enquiries regarding booking a cruise in October /November 2016. (15 months in advance) All details were taken and just before I was about to give my payment details for the deposit, my Agent had forgotten to ask me which dining option I preferred. I chose the early dining option and then he said it was full and the late alternative is also full so that only left anytime dining.

There are literally hundreds of cabins available on this cruise and its not that I don't believe the agent, he can only go by information on his screen, but I don't believe Celebrity. There is no wait list either. Could this be a ploy on Celebrity's behalf to ensure that pre paid grats is the only booking option - time will tell!!

Even if you choose Select Dining as your option the grats don't have to be paid until final is due...still a long ways off. You could def get your early dining choice by then, just have your TA keep trying every so often.

Enjoy all the trip planning ahead!!

Cathy

Today, I have made enquiries regarding booking a cruise in October /November 2016. (15 months in advance) All details were taken and just before I was about to give my payment details for the deposit, my Agent had forgotten to ask me which dining option I preferred. I chose the early dining option and then he said it was full and the late alternative is also full so that only left anytime dining.

There are literally hundreds of cabins available on this cruise and its not that I don't believe the agent, he can only go by information on his screen, but I don't believe Celebrity. There is no wait list either. Could this be a ploy on Celebrity's behalf to ensure that pre paid grats is the only booking option - time will tell!!

This isn't the first time I've read that this far in advance both 1st and 2nd seatings were full and people were forced to take Select, thus having to pre-pay gratuities.

If this is the case, they should section off more of the upper dining area for traditional dining if there is such a demand.

Based on all the reports on here recently about inability to book either early or late seating in the MDR, I highly suspect that the OP is correct (as well as many others who have thought the same) that Celebrity is trying to make it so all prepay their gratuities.

Having said that, it makes entirely no sense, unless the plan is to eliminate fixed dining altogether. If no one has the option of booking early or late dining, how can there possibly be a seating plan for those dining times? It does seem that this "select dining option only" is for cruises way out in the future (although I was able to get early seating for a cruise in Nov. 2016 when I booked it back in March), which would then fit in with their plan to go open seating - since they had already forced most to choose that option.

I guess we will find out eventually. I really can't believe that all the fixed seating options are full so far out, especially with the popularity of Select and many many more cruisers choosing that option these days. :confused:

About a month ago, I made a booking for 4 rooms, and was waitlisted for 8:30 seating on all 4. Last week I checked and all 4 were now confirmed for 8:30 seating. Just keep checking, you'll probably get your waitlist.

If this is the case, they should section off more of the upper dining area for traditional dining if there is such a demand.

They would not do this. Select is way more popular than traditional dining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They would not do this. Select is way more popular than traditional dining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree, if anything they will move traditional to upstairs and Select to downstairs. This appears to be pretty consistent thing lately, not having traditional available. I think somethings up with the dining, maybe there's something to that rumor a couple of weeks ago about Celebrity going to all Select dining.

Edited by dkjretired

think somethings up with the dining, maybe there's something to that rumor a couple of weeks ago about Celebrity going to all Select dining.

Let's not start this thread up again, lol. It was closed for a reason.

Have your agent call back in a few days to waitlist you for the dining option you want. Many people are reporting that they encounter this, go on the waitlist and get their requested dining time before final payment.

I don't buy the argument that X is just trying to get the gratuities paid early. They don't get the money until final payment. If you clear the waitlist before final payment the prepaid gratuities are dropped from your balance due. If they wanted the gratuities paid before sailing they could change their policy and require all to prepay.

Royal Caribbean is doing dynamic dining on their new ships and will go fleet wide soon. They are doing away with traditional dining. If you prefer a set time at the same place with the same wait staff, reservations can be made on a first come, first serve basis. They call it dynamic choice and dynamic classic. X will more then likely do the same and therefore are not giving out early or late seating. I thing this is a great idea.

Royal Caribbean is doing dynamic dining on their new ships and will go fleet wide soon. They are doing away with traditional dining. If you prefer a set time at the same place with the same wait staff, reservations can be made on a first come, first serve basis. They call it dynamic choice and dynamic classic. X will more then likely do the same and therefore are not giving out early or late seating. I thing this is a great idea.

It was on the Royal forum a few days ago that Royal will not be rolling out Dynamic dining to the Allure, Oasis or Harmony.

Celebrity already confirmed on a different thread that they have no intentions of getting rid of traditional dining. Once again, that thread was closed for a reason.

For the OP, just do what the others have suggested. Get your preferred seating time waitlisted, and have your TA check back from time to time.

About a month ago, I made a booking for 4 rooms, and was waitlisted for 8:30 seating on all 4. Last week I checked and all 4 were now confirmed for 8:30 seating. Just keep checking, you'll probably get your waitlist.

I've had the same experience. So I initially book Select, waitlist Traditional and it always seems to clear within a matter of a few days.

Celebrity already confirmed on a different thread that they have no intentions of getting rid of traditional dining. Once again, that thread was closed for a reason.

For the OP, just do what the others have suggested. Get your preferred seating time waitlisted, and have your TA check back from time to time.

I don't believe it. They are making the traditional seating area progressively smaller. I do believe they would love to eliminate traditional dining altogether. It will come sooner or later. The more vocal fans of traditional dining become the longer it will last. I don't think it has anything to do with prepaid gratuities. Select dining is less labor intensive for the cruise line.

That is no longer the case. It will NOT be going fleet wide, nor will it be added to any of the Oasis class ships. It was just cancelled for any ships except for the Quantum class ships.

I wonder why I have a MDR time on my reservation when I am in a suite. I won't be dining in the MDR at any time.

My question is this: if I am in a suite and my reservations indicates Select dining, will these nit-wits charge me for gratuities at final payment time (if I don't have prepaid gratuities)? I certainly hope not... because there will be H**l to pay if they do.

As far as dynamic dining goes on RCI, it sounds a lot like "freestyle" on Norwegian.... Don't like that either.

Hi Beth (gimletgal.)

I don't believe it. They are making the traditional seating area progressively smaller. I do believe they would love to eliminate traditional dining altogether. It will come sooner or later. The more vocal fans of traditional dining become the longer it will last. I don't think it has anything to do with prepaid gratuities. Select dining is less labor intensive for the cruise line.

How is it less labor intensive?

(why am I feeding into this?)

For all you folks that are suggesting that the OP waitlist it and then clear before final payment read the part I bolded and underlined.

Select is becoming the only available option as Celebrity wants everyone to pre-pay gratuities before they get aboard. Too many people are cancelling their gratuities that it is affecting the crew's wages and is causing a lot of ill feeling with their staff.

Celebrity please make gratuities (service charge) mandatory across the board then dining choice will be normalised.

Sorry, but a similar situation was asked here and it is relevant to be brought up. I was the first one to ask Celebrity Cruises poster to respond to the question that came up in the other thread. Personally, I think something is going on and it is possible it is at a higher pay grade than the Celebrity Cruiser poster, no disrespect to them.

I wonder why I have a MDR time on my reservation when I am in a suite. I won't be dining in the MDR at any time.

My question is this: if I am in a suite and my reservations indicates Select dining, will these nit-wits charge me for gratuities at final payment time (if I don't have prepaid gratuities)? I certainly hope not... because there will be H**l to pay if they do.

As far as dynamic dining goes on RCI, it sounds a lot like "freestyle" on Norwegian.... Don't like that either.

Hi Beth (gimletgal.)

If you have Select Dining on your reservation, the computer will automatically default to having you pre pay the gratuities, we found that out the last few years with Blu.

You have the MDR on your reservation because they still will reserve a seat for you there.

Same with me. I bet that there are lots of people in Blu and Luminae who are "reserving" spots that others could take simply because that's the way their computer system works. You're required to choose a dining time so we requested the late seating when we made our reservation, but of course we're not even going to be in the MDR at all during our trip.

I actually spoke to someone last week. A hostess, not a regular person for a few other issues and specifically asked her about this. She said, and take this for what it's worth because I also told her their web site sucked, she hadn't "heard" that rumor and they at this point had no indication that traditional dining would go away.

As I said, take it for what it's worth, but I never believe what they tell me.

PatC

Select is becoming the only available option as Celebrity wants everyone to pre-pay gratuities before they get aboard. Too many people are cancelling their gratuities that it is affecting the crew's wages and is causing a lot of ill feeling with their staff.

Celebrity please make gratuities (service charge) mandatory across the board then dining choice will be normalised.

What is the source of this information? (Underline added).