Hotels Southhamton

Have gone back a few pages and surprised to not see a discussion on hotels pre-cruise in Southampton,

Any recommendations? Just looking for safe area and clean.

Thank you

kim

For end of August cruise, on recommendation from friends, staying at Ennio's Boutique Hotel.

http://www.ennios.co.uk/boutique-hotel

Could be the ideal hotel and position for you

Edited by PORT ROYAL

We stayed at the Grand Harbour for 2 nights last fall, and we liked it so much that we'll be there for 3 days in August pre-cruise. The hotel is newly renovated, very clean, with great service. There is a full breakfast buffet that was delicious, too. I know it doesn't always get good reviews on Tripadvisor, but I'm extremely fussy about hotels, and we loved it.

We had a terrible experience with the Holiday Inn a couple of years ago, and it doesn't appear to have had any renovations recently from what I was told last year by cab drivers.

Premier Inn West Quay is very popular. Several members of our CC roll call group last year stayed there, and they all seemed very happy with it. My cousin will be there in early September so I'll post her review.

It's quite a wide-ranging forum, you needed to go back further. ;)

Or do a search of the forum.

Here's the results from a search of "Southampton Dolphin" (Dolphin in that search simply because it's one of the city centre hotels, so avoids threads on other subjects.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=73998959

Alternatively start with the hotels listed on this webpage,

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

which also has a useful little sketch-map at the bottom showing the locations of city centre hotels, cruise terminals, rail & bus stations, etc.

The city is centred on The Bargate, the original main entrance to the city (just below the yellow D on the map). The old part of the city is to the south of the Bargate, the modern shops & malls to the north of it. All hotels on that map are easily walkable to the Bargate.

Add a recently-opened boutique hotel, Pig In The Wall, set in the city wall behind Grand Harbour.

Delete Southampton Park Hotel, now closed for re-development.

There are a number of B&B's, to the north of the rail station. None as convenient as the listed hotels but not a million miles away.

Are you referring to the Highfield Hotel, LondonTowner? Don't know the place, gets quite good reviews, but it's out by the university and a bus or taxi ride to the city centre.

Some well-known hotels such as the two Hiltons are out on the city outskirts or beyond - they need a car or taxi to go anywhere.

Your choice of hotel might be influenced by your choice of transportation to Southampton, or your ship's cruise terminal. http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/ but any transfer between any city centre hotel and any cruise terminal or train or bus station is a £10 taxi fare at worst or walk of a few hundred yards at best. But if you're staying for several days & intend to explore some of the many interesting places within day-trip range such as Winchester, Stonehenge, Bath, Portsmouth, a hotel close to the rail station would be ideal.

The hotels cover a wide range of quality & price, but none are awful.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

About the Premier Inn West Quay, my SIL is wanting to know if that location has a place to safely leave their luggage all day since they want to take a sightseeing tour after dropping it off. I know that the Premier Inn I stayed at in London had a luggage room but I don't have any experience at the Southampton location.

Can anyone verify that they have the luggage room for drop offs prior to rooms being ready?

We were early at Premier Inn West Quay and they put our luggage in a locked luggage room/storeage room. They gave us a luggage ticket for each of our luggage.

Edited by phabric

We were early at Premier Inn West Quay and they put our luggage in a locked luggage room/storeage room. They gave us a luggage ticket for each of our luggage.

Perfect! Thank you for your quick response. I've already texted that info to them and they are ready to book. :)

We stayed at the Premier Inn Southampton on 7 July 2015, based on recommendations from this site. We found the hotel very clean, comfortable beds, and centrally located. Check-in was fast, staff very accommodating. There is a shopping mall 5 minutes away, plus a couple convenience-type stores. The hotel is less than 10 minutes from the pier. We would stay there again.