Have you/ are you going to cancel your NCL bookings

MrJoeBlack

No matter how many times you explain that to people, they just don't want to hear it.

I wonder if the people that are very upset about the DSC going up even tip at all when eating at a land restaurant or staying at a hotel (tipping housekeeping)?

The service charges on NCL, even at the new rate are still very low when you put it in perspective. Even with all the new charges, cruising is still a great value. :)

Now, plane fares :mad:....THAT is a subject I could rant over. Jeeze!

That's what I was thinking....this is an apples/oranges comparison and doesn't make any sense to me.

In my case, with 9 passengers on a 34 day cruise, the difference was $168 when the Daily Service Charge was raised $0.55 two weeks after booking.

I don't like the idea of paying gratuities in advance interest free just to keep the already agreed upon service charge! I hope that my line of thinking doesn't mean I don't like to tip or don't care about the servers or room stewards. I just want to know what I'm actually agreeing to when I book a cruise.

Since NCL doesn't seem to adopt the "grandfathered" clause for those of us who agree to a price at booking along with our deposits, I just chose to go to another cruise line.

In my case, with 9 passengers on a 34 day cruise, the difference was $168 when the Daily Service Charge was raised $0.55 two weeks after booking.

I don't like the idea of paying gratuities in advance interest free just to keep the already agreed upon service charge! I hope that my line of thinking doesn't mean I don't like to tip or don't care about the servers or room stewards. I just want to know what I'm actually agreeing to when I book a cruise.

Since NCL doesn't seem to adopt the "grandfathered" clause for those of us who agree to a price at booking along with our deposits, I just chose to go to another cruise line.

None of the charges onboard are locked in when you book and they are all subject to change without notice, including the service charge. What's the interest on $168 these days? Half a cent?;)

None of the charges onboard are locked in when you book and they are all subject to change without notice, including the service charge. What's the interest on $168 these days? Half a cent?;)

Oh, are you saying that I only have to pay the additional $0.55 per passenger per day in advance? I thought it was the entire gratuities or $4,131 in advance. I thought I could keep money for gratuities until I cruised. ;)

Oh, are you saying that I only have to pay the additional $0.55 per passenger per day in advance? I thought it was the entire gratuities or $4,131 in advance. I thought I could keep money for gratuities until I cruised. ;)

If you personally are paying for all nine for a 34 day cruise, I'm guessing the $4000 for gratuities is a small drop in the bucket?

Sorry, I just noticed that your not even sailing on NCL, your cruise is with another line. So your not paying any DSC for anyone. Also noticed your not paying for all 9 in your party.

Edited by rvsullivan

No way would I cancel! If I couldn't afford to pay for the upcharges, which are small actually, I wouldn't cruise at all. I love Norweigan.

Okay, I can see what you and halos are saying. If I don't like the price increases I either don't like tipping or can't afford to cruise.

Neither is true in my case. I can analyze the situation and decide if I want to spend my money with NCL or some other cruise line.

I'm glad you have had a good experience with NCL and are willing to follow all their decisions. They will be very happy to hear that!

If you personally are paying for all nine for a 34 day cruise, I'm guessing the $4000 for gratuities is a small drop in the bucket?

Okay, I see. I lost perspective there for a minute!

I do love to cruise, and look forward to my next trip. I never got a chance to sail with NCL since my 38 day cruise got canceled 3 days before sail date. I am sure I would be as devoted to them as many others on this thread are if I could have actually drunk their koolaid. ;) Just kidding.

I answered OP, yes, I canceled. I think NCL is looking for a different kind of cruiser than I am, and I see they have plenty of people who like their managment style, so no worries.

Happy Sailing to All!

Edited by Kmcspoon

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

You have suites booked and canceled? I havent been on NCL Boards lately but I thougjt suites got most of the perks. Last time onboard NCL was Breakaway last July in an H4.

I currently have two H4 suites booked on Breakaway for August 2016. I booked over a year ago. We are 11 people. We all have the UDP and four of us have UBP and rest have the soda package. We booked before we were charged the gratutity on top of the packages and have OBC. I also can order room service 24/7.

There is no way Im canceling due to the changes since we are in two suites.

I can tell you though it has changed my future booking. Im booked over NYE on RCCL Independence and decided to give CCL newer ship Breeze for 8 nights a try the end of January, although Im not sailing in concierge or suites on those ships.

What did you end up booking with your canceled suites? IMO, from ghe lines I sailed, nothing compares to NCL Haven. I do have a DCL sailing in September in concierge but from what I read it still does not compare to NCL.

Edited by js

Okay, I can see what you and halos are saying. If I don't like the price increases I either don't like tipping or can't afford to cruise.

Neither is true in my case. I can analyze the situation and decide if I want to spend my money with NCL or some other cruise line.

I'm glad you have had a good experience with NCL and are willing to follow all their decisions. They will be very happy to hear that!

I never said you didn't like tipping or can't afford to cruise! I'm not a "halo" I was just stating how I felt. You certainly can "analyze" the situation and I'm sure you will find many other cruise lines that will be delighted to have you!

NCL must be "happy" to have me because of my excellent experiences with them. You don't have to "remind" me of my decisions. Good Luck

I never said you didn't like tipping or can't afford to cruise! I'm not a "halo" I was just stating how I felt. You certainly can "analyze" the situation and I'm sure you will find many other cruise lines that will be delighted to have you!

NCL must be "happy" to have me because of my excellent experiences with them. You don't have to "remind" me of my decisions. Good Luck

My apologies. You were not responding to my post, and I shouldn't have quoted you.

My apologies. You were not responding to my post, and I shouldn't have quoted you.

I'm sorry for the mix up and I accept your apologies. I do love NCL but have never tried another line so really have nothing to compare it to. I hope you have a wonderful cruise regardless of which line you chose.

Sorry, I just noticed that your not even sailing on NCL, your cruise is with another line. So your not paying any DSC for anyone. Also noticed your not paying for all 9 in your party.

You are correct on one thing. I canceled the Spring cruise with NCL as of yesterday. I rebooked on another cruise line and changed my signature line.

You are not correct about who is paying for the cruise and how many are going. Not sure where you are getting your info? :confused: I'm trying really hard not to find your comment creepy...maybe you meant well?

It takes all kinds of people in the world. I gave my personal experience and why I made my decision in answer to the OP.

I'm sorry for the mix up and I accept your apologies. I do love NCL but have never tried another line so really have nothing to compare it to. I hope you have a wonderful cruise regardless of which line you chose.

Thank you. You are very gracious. We had a year of anticipation of trying NCL from LA to Copenhagen via Russia. We were only taking the five of us then, and were absolutely crushed when the cruise was canceled 3 days before departure this past April, 2015.

I am always drawn to the NCL itineraries, and was looking very much to the trip. The cruise I just canceled yesterday would have been a lot of great places. It is just we are taking 4 guests with us, and I am very hesitant to trust NCL again when I see the management style. It seems a bit unstable. It has been difficult to get reimbursed for everything we had booked for that cruise, so my judgement is obviously colored by what happened.

Maybe when things stabilize, I will try NCL again.

Edited by Kmcspoon

You are correct on one thing. I canceled the Spring cruise with NCL as of yesterday. I rebooked on another cruise line and changed my signature line.

You are not correct about who is paying for the cruise and how many are going. Not sure where you are getting your info? :confused: I'm trying really hard not to find your comment creepy...maybe you meant well?

It takes all kinds of people in the world. I gave my personal experience and why I made my decision in answer to the OP.

When I read this, I wondered how the poster KNEW how many people that you were paying for. And since you clearly stated you had canceled your cruise on NCL and booked with another line which was displayed in your signature, I concluded that they had not read your post before taking issue with you which seems to be standard practice lately on this board.

We have had such a good time on our recent NCL cruises (including the Star TA right after the cancellation) that I would never cancel over any of these recent changes but respect your decision. It is you and your crew that are cruising so enjoy.

When I read this, I wondered how the poster KNEW how many people that you were paying for. And since you clearly stated you had canceled your cruise on NCL and booked with another line which was displayed in your signature, I concluded that they had not read your post before taking issue with you which seems to be standard practice lately on this board.

We have had such a good time on our recent NCL cruises (including the Star TA right after the cancellation) that I would never cancel over any of these recent changes but respect your decision. It is you and your crew that are cruising so enjoy.

Thank you, Lancer1568. That was a very kind reply.

I wish I could have been on the Star transatlantic. We had taken off work/school for the 38 cruise (16 days before that TA), and wasn't even sure the TA portion of the Star cruise was going to happen. We quickly made arrangements on another cruise line to take advantage of the time off. We had a lovely time on the replacement trip, but something inside of all of us still like we missed out on that NCL trip that we waited so long to take.

I totally get that many on here have had a great time on NCL and will continue to cruise with them despite the recent changes and DSC increases. Maybe it would have softened my perspective if I had a few good cruises with them in my memory bank...though I would still probably wish they could grandfather more things in for those who like to book early.;)

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

No matter how many times you explain that to people, they just don't want to hear it.

I wonder if the people that are very upset about the DSC going up even tip at all when eating at a land restaurant or staying at a hotel (tipping housekeeping)?

The service charges on NCL, even at the new rate are still very low when you put it in perspective. Even with all the new charges, cruising is still a great value. :)

Now, plane fares :mad:....THAT is a subject I could rant over. Jeeze!

That's what I was thinking....this is an apples/oranges comparison and doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, I tip, and quite well. Taking cheap shots at people with differing views or perspectives does nothing to enhance your point.

It is about honesty and a contract. NCL (or any cruise line) presents a product and accepts reservations and payments for the product that they present. After they accept your money, they increase change the terms of the contract.

Yes, you could lock in your DSC by paying in advance, but it is still changing the terms.

You didn't get grandfathered for $8 room service, dining price changes, etc. If you cancelled because of the charges, NCL would still collect the cancellation fees.

It's not about the amount, it's about INTEGRITY and living up to one's word.

(I have also seen threads that mention that make it unclear whether all of the DSC actually gets paid to those that it is intended for.)

On the off chance that you were talking about me. I know the OP has been posting significant posts on other parts of the board regarding their cancellation and changing to another line. They also posted they were traveling with 9 people some were family and others were friends who it appears they are not paying for. They mentioned some time back that they had cancelled with NCL and joined another roll call for the other cruise line. Nothing creepy at all about reading posts all over these boards. When a name sounds familiar, it makes one look at the conflicting information a poster is making about a topic. It reminded me that this poster was talking on other boards about this topic. In fact I read all 292 posts on this topic before posting!!

Edited by rvsullivan

On the off chance that you were talking about me. I know the OP has been posting significant posts on other parts of the board regarding their cancellation and changing to another line. They also posted they were traveling with 9 people some were family and others were friends who it appears they are not paying for. They mentioned some time back that they had cancelled with NCL and joined another roll call for the other cruise line. Nothing creepy at all about reading posts all over these boards. When a name sounds familiar, it makes one look at the conflicting information a poster is making about a topic. It reminded me that this poster was talking on other boards about this topic. In fact I read all 292 posts on this topic before posting!!

How does it appear we aren't paying for our four guests? Wow, rvsullivan. I will just say you are wrong. I'm totally not sure the point you are making or what I posted to make you start your inaccurate private investigation.

I'm not worrying about NCL and the Daily Service Charges anymore, so you don't have to defend them any way you can!

So....well, take care!

I truly don't get the angst over the service charge--the fact that there IS one or the fact that it has increased over time. When I price a trip, I try to include as many factors possible; I.e., drinks, optional meals, land arrangements, optional tours, etc. I'm sure most travelers do the same so they can compare apples to apples. When your personal price point comfort level is exceeded, it's time to rethink and perhaps cancel and book something else. This is just common financial sense and the outrage or disappointment in NCL and other emotions stymie me.

To answer the OP's question, yes I would cancel IF the pricepoint became noncompetively high or exceeded my personal comfort level. But, no, I haven't cancelled and, in fact, paid in full today for a cruise in October. Oh and I took advantage of prepaying the SC at the lower rate since I booked eons ago.

I truly don't get the angst over the service charge--the fact that there IS one or the fact that it has increased over time. When I price a trip, I try to include as many factors possible; I.e., drinks, optional meals, land arrangements, optional tours, etc. I'm sure most travelers do the same so they can compare apples to apples. When your personal price point comfort level is exceeded, it's time to rethink and perhaps cancel and book something else. This is just common financial sense and the outrage or disappointment in NCL and other emotions stymie me.

To answer the OP's question, yes I would cancel IF the pricepoint became noncompetively high or exceeded my personal comfort level. But, no, I haven't cancelled and, in fact, paid in full today for a cruise in October. Oh and I took advantage of prepaying the SC at the lower rate since I booked eons ago.

Prepaying is definitely the smart way to go

That and probably realizing that the cruise line is making pay for the service separately from the what's included in fare (Personally, I always those those two things were separate from each other from the get go). I too always included the what extra fees that's a 'must' along with the base fare - even airfare, there's the 'fare' and then there's baggage fee for extra bag even if its a carry-on, that should be factored in as well. Also, since majority of the naysayers haven't been on NCL since the most of the changes got implemented - they don't even know if they can remove / reduced the DSC like they claim before (Might have been easy under Sheenan, not so sure with Del Rio going into his 7 month in office)