Have you/ are you going to cancel your NCL bookings

MrJoeBlack

I tried to read as many of these posts as I could tolerate....:eek:

From what I can figure out rates on somethings are rising a little...is there any other "major" changes being made or is this just another case of a daily "internet outrage" :rolleyes:

Charging gratuities in specialty dining isn't a "little" because it amounts to double gratuity (since you also pay the DSC). Charging the 18% gratuity on an "included" UBP is deceptive.

Charging the 18% gratuity on an "included" UBP is deceptive.

I don't believe it is. They are giving away FREE drinks...not the tips.

In a restaurant if there is a special buy one dinner get one dinner free....I'd hope you'd pay the tip on both meals and not just one of them.

Harriet

In a restaurant if there is a special buy one dinner get one dinner free....I'd hope you'd pay the tip on both meals and not just one of them.

Harriet

Good analogy.

Harriet

Also similar to paying the government taxes and fees on a free cruise.

In light of the overwhelming changes in such a short span is it enough to get you to cancel your current bookings?

Personally for my family and I the answer is YES, 2 Suites Cancelled and I'm not looking back at this train wreck until they realize constantly changing the product makes people feel uneasy and abused.

I have that future cruise thing you buy on board, and I am thinking I am just going to eat the loss.

I am upset by the room service charges more than the specialty restaurants going ala carte. What is next, baggage fees? It would only make sense as they, NCL, try to improve their profit margins.

Without reading the thread I am sure there will be a vast majority that characterize fellow cruises as free loaders, and asking "Why should I help pay for other's drunken gluttony?" Over time the quality of the food in the MDRs has lessened and has been replaced by better quality food options for a fee.

Cruisers are free to select options that cost extra or to only engage it the current fee free options. But those who think NCL continues to tweak it services for the purpose of raising the average cost to a cruiser, to improve their margin, should not be called names or told they see this all wrong.

To me, many of these changes involve the number of staff needed to provide services. It would be interesting to see if these changes result in smaller crews. This is why I fully expect a future luggage fee, then hear from cruiser saying how they travel in two carry-ons, and how they do not wish to pay for those that need multiple supper sized trunks for their 7 day vacation.

I have that future cruise thing you buy on board, and I am thinking I am just going to eat the loss.

I am upset by the room service charges more than the specialty restaurants going ala carte. What is next, baggage fees? It would only make sense as they, NCL, try to improve their profit margins.

Without reading the thread I am sure there will be a vast majority that characterize fellow cruises as free loaders, and asking "Why should I help pay for other's drunken gluttony?" Over time the quality of the food in the MDRs has lessened and has been replaced by better quality food options for a fee.

Cruisers are free to select options that cost extra or to only engage it the current fee free options. But those who think NCL continues to tweak it services for the purpose of raising the average cost to a cruiser, to improve their margin, should not be called names or told they see this all wrong.

To me, many of these changes involve the number of staff needed to provide services. It would be interesting to see if these changes result in smaller crews. This is why I fully expect a future luggage fee, then hear from cruiser saying how they travel in two carry-ons, and how they do not wish to pay for those that need multiple supper sized trunks for their 7 day vacation.

The cruise certificates are transferable so before taking the loss sell it on eBay.

I just snuck in a 4 day Carnival booking 8 weeks after we do our 4 day Sky cruise. While I've got what I feel is a good rate for Escape next year, if the onboard experience on the Sky underwhelms, or Carnivals experience really exceeds expectations, I'll have to consider jumping from the Escape to Carnivals new Vista ship. Right now prices are similar for comparable weeks, but NCL still has the advantage on kids pricing and perks.

I want to be excited to cruise and while I poo-poo'd Carnival for many years, I am excited to get on their ship whereas with NCL Sky as it gets closer to sailing and my final payment is long made I wonder what else will change, because certainly something will change given recent history.

I just snuck in a 4 day Carnival booking 8 weeks after we do our 4 day Sky cruise. While I've got what I feel is a good rate for Escape next year, if the onboard experience on the Sky underwhelms, or Carnivals experience really exceeds expectations, I'll have to consider jumping from the Escape to Carnivals new Vista ship. Right now prices are similar for comparable weeks, but NCL still has the advantage on kids pricing and perks.

I want to be excited to cruise and while I poo-poo'd Carnival for many years, I am excited to get on their ship whereas with NCL Sky as it gets closer to sailing and my final payment is long made I wonder what else will change, because certainly something will change given recent history.

It's nice to change it up - especially when given so many reasons to do so! We are heading to MSC for our next booking. I always wanted to try it, and the NCL changes just gave us more reason to do so.

As long as you're not comparing suites (nothing in the way of perks on Carnival really) there's nothing wrong with Carnival and the Vista looks amazing.

If your only interested in cost, if you find a better deal take it. We will.

If there's some other reason you prefer NCL, you have consider if that has been taken away from you.

Nobody knows the cost changes yet for the a la carte changes, so it's too soon to know the impact there.

Cost wise, you all need to look at the real cost of all changes recently. For us, adding in the gratuities and room service( which we seldom use) and subtracting the UBP, we come out ahead. No brainer here. I liked them before, now it's even cheaper. I've got 2 more cruises booked through the end of the year. Anyone who uses the UBP promo, has to be coming out ahead in this deal. Celebrity is using this type of option pricing now too. But theirs is permanent.

To be honest, I always wanted to try Carnival.....but CAS gives me free cruises with NCL and I just can't see paying for a cruise on Carnival. I know that sounds stupid, but that's how I feel at this time.

Harriet

To be honest, I always wanted to try Carnival.....but CAS gives me free cruises with NCL and I just can't see paying for a cruise on Carnival. I know that sounds stupid, but that's how I feel at this time.

Harriet

Free is good, I would do the same thing

Harriet

can't fault that logic. I'd do the same thing as you in that case.

Harriet

Ah, but unlike the 18% on an individual drink or the Dsc, there is no place to adjust to remove it with the drink package fee. And they are collecting money at final payment instead of on board when the tips are due.

To work with your restaurant analogy, a restaurant does not say "BOGO entree" and then put the 18% of its value on the bill. They leave it, as a gratuity, up to me.

At the end of the day, you can defend their actions but it's still an increase and no longer a free package.

Ah, but unlike the 18% on an individual drink or the Dsc, there is no place to adjust to remove it with the drink package fee. And they are collecting money at final payment instead of on board when the tips are due.

To work with your restaurant analogy, a restaurant does not say "BOGO entree" and then put the 18% of its value on the bill. They leave it, as a gratuity, up to me.

At the end of the day, you can defend their actions but it's still an increase and no longer a free package.

If it's a fancy enough restaurant they absolutely do add gratuity.

I actually just booked on NCL yesterday for next year. We've primarily sailed on CCL but my husband loved the vibe on our NCL cruise. After reviewing the itineraries, dates and total costs in conjuction with the additional (changed) fees, we decided on NCL for Alaska for next year.

The increase in the DSC is immaterial and I'm fairly certain I pay a service charge on CCL on my drinks. So, those two incremental costs aren't a big deal to me.

Harriet

Harriet, if you sail on Carnival a time or two, you'll start getting offers. I get offered comp insides on NCL once in awhile but DH likes suites so using my TR discount is a better deal now. My daughter and I started getting offers from Carnival after one 5-day cruise, some comp, some deeply discounted plus free slot play.

Harriet, if you sail on Carnival a time or two, you'll start getting offers. I get offered comp insides on NCL once in awhile but DH likes suites so using my TR discount is a better deal now. My daughter and I started getting offers from Carnival after one 5-day cruise, some comp, some deeply discounted plus free slot play.

Ya gotta love carnival advertising on a Norwegian thread

I always see this thread pop up in my feed and it makes me sick. Yea, I'm gonna cancel my Ncl cruise over 8 bucks.

Cheapness is not only a sickness but a disease as well. It makes me laugh though someone that cancels their Ncl cruise (especially over a gratuity increase) to go on a carnival cruise to have a less enjoyable time and eat worse food.

I always see this thread pop up in my feed and it makes me sick. Yea, I'm gonna cancel my Ncl cruise over 8 bucks.

Cheapness is not only a sickness but a disease as well. It makes me laugh though someone that cancels their Ncl cruise (especially over a gratuity increase) to go on a carnival cruise to have a less enjoyable time and eat worse food.

I could not have said it better myself, very well put and I agree completely.

You don't need to click on it if it makes you sick, just keep scrolling. As for the Carnival cheerleader...

ImageUploadedByForums1438377686.564064.jpg.0221b9e3332ce2a9c6da6dcd25b3dc78.jpg