St. Maarten Airport Adventure and Snorkel Cruise

I know, could, should have asked this on the Caribbean Ports community CC, but thought this might be more an RCCL itinerary. Any comments on this particular shore excursion ? Pros, cons ? Thanks Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

There is no reason to "be afraid" to do anything on your own....do some research on where you're going, and there's almost never a need to pay someone to show you a good time!

Thanks for your opinion! I DID in fact do the research, and felt that due to the potential for traffic jams on the way back to the ship, visiting Moho Beach by taxi or bus was not a risk that we were willing to take. I heard a Captain say once that he has had more passengers miss sailing in St. Maarten than any other port! :)

Just booked it for my August 9th cruise. Reviews I have seen so far have been great!

Sounds great ! We've planned this for our August 22 cruise, maybe by then you can have some latest do's and dont's to share. Thanks Gerry

Thanks for your opinion! I DID in fact do the research, and felt that due to the potential for traffic jams on the way back to the ship, visiting Moho Beach by taxi or bus was not a risk that we were willing to take. I heard a Captain say once that he has had more passengers miss sailing in St. Maarten than any other port! :)

Yes, I have also read of those traffic jams. That is why I decided to not take a taxi or rent a jeep. Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

We have been to Maho and it is very easy to get to and a lot less expensive to get there on your own. There are plenty of taxis available or the local bus is a very cheap option.

Part of the experience for us was being on the beach itself as the planes go overhead. My DH has some wonderful pictures of the underbellies of the planes. The Beach Bar there has good food and drink at decent prices.

From the reviews of this excursion, you will be seeing the planes at a much higher altitude and off to the side of the flight path. It will still be cool to see them up close but from the street or beach at the end of the runway is just something you really can't fully appreciate until you do it.

Not sure about the snorkeling in the area but Maho is something I would do on my own. As far as traffic, if you leave last minute when a lot of people are trying to get back to the ship, yes, there is traffic. If you head back a little earlier, it wasn't bad at all the day we were there. Check out the sites that tell you how many ships are in port the day you are there and that should help you get an idea of how bad the crowds at the beach and the traffic back to the ships will be.

Edited to add: Just checked for you, Oasis in in St Maarten with Carnival Conquest.

Edited by reallyitsmema

We created our own excursion a week ago yesterday (July 12) and it was awesome.

I had the guest services desk print me the arrivals schedule before we docked (directing them exactly what to type on flight aware). We got off as quickly as we could, took a cab to the beach (15 minutes or so). Another couple was also going so the taxi dispatcher paired us up and we saved $1 a head (10 each for 1-2 passengers, 9 each for 3-5 passengers, 8 each for more).

Turns out the KLM 747 was running about an hour late, so we caught its landing, fence-surfed its takeoff and waited for the AF A340 to land. The current schedule has the KLM on the ground 10-12 and AF on the ground 2-4, with US arrivals mostly coming in from 1230 to 130.

The catamaran, it seemed was timed to arrive at the beach (it anchored 75 yards off shore not under the flight path) in time for the KLM departure, then left around the time of the AF arrival.

My wife and I took a cab there and back, had lunch and a shared frozen cocktail at Sunset and bought t-shirts for $124.

Afterwards, we took a cab to downtown (not to the ship) and walked the mile or so back along the boardwalk, stopping in a couple of stores.

I think if you are careful and watch the time, you won't have any problems. We had a discussion with another couple on a non-sponsored Barbados excursion that the cruise line preys on your fear. Could there be a problem? Yes, but the private companies know to get you back on time. There business depends on it.

We did some type of high power boat/snorkel excursion through the ship 2x. They float in the flight path. It's not right on the beach but the planes are low enough to think you need to duck.

I agree with most reviews that say do not do it on your own. One of our trips 6 people got left behind. 3 or 4 ships were in port (if I recall) and we were either on Allure or Oasis so that is over 10,000 people in a port. Traffic is bad.

My guess...that poster has probably never even been to St. Maarten. Also she will not be back, posts and runs.

We took the local bus but I would say that option is not for everyone. Enjoy!

Edited by looking4info

I know, could, should have asked this on the Caribbean Ports community CC, but thought this might be more an RCCL itinerary. Any comments on this particular shore excursion ? Pros, cons ? Thanks Gerry

My table mates went on this excursion, and we went on our own. Although they saw planes, they were not really in a position to enjoy it. Going on your own, you have a beach, a patio style restaurant, sunshine, lots of planes, a fence to hang on, and cheap beer. Cost of taxi for 2 people is $36.00 round trip. Time travel each way was 45 minutes with traffic! Tons of taxi's available. Distance is only 12 miles.

Hi OP! We are sailing with you on Oasis and was wondering the same thing! Thanks everyone for the great responses.

To those who have been there, is there shade or umbrellas for rent there?

Edited by hardingk

Hi OP! We are sailing with you on Oasis and was wondering the same thing! Thanks everyone for the great responses.

To those who have been there, is there shade or umbrellas for rent there?

Yes, there are limited chairs and umbrellas to rent. Not sure of cost though since most of the time I hung out at a picnic table with an umbrella in the Beach Bar. If you do go to the beach, do not set up camp directly across from the end of the runway. That space is empty for a reason. When the big jets take off, the engine wash will sweep you and all your stuff into the water. We saw one poor couple have all there stuff and them end up in the water, girl lost her top in the process of trying to get their things. They ended up coming over to the bar to rinse off as there is a faucet there. They were also from the ship we were on and were on their honeymoon. We ended up giving them our towels to dry off their cameras, watches, wallets, etc and offered to send them pictures since their camera was dead.

Last April, we used Bernard's Tours and it was one of the best excursions we have taken. We spent about an hour at Moho, ninety minutes at a resort snorkel beach and made a handful of other interesting stops before arriving in plenty of time to board the ship.

Oh yes, plenty of free drinks too!

Can't wait to hear more reviews on this excursion. We have always wanted to see Moho beach, but were afraid to go on our own in a taxi. This sounds like a great compromise.

Let me rest your fears. It's real easy and plenty of affordable taxis are standing by. Just allow yourself enough time to get back to the ship. (Not a problem for me as my wife wants to shop.

I'll be curious as to the snorkeling. I do dive and snorkel, but I would think the planes would scare a lot of sea life away.

We are doing this excursion mainly as a boat ride! Husband can't be in direct sun due to maintenance chemo so there is a deck that is shaded and a place for me to lie out and we will be back by 12:30 and before the heat of the day! Maybe will try the snorkeling but this time, that is not our sole purpose for this excursion! Will post a review once I get back!

Glad to see some information about this tour. We have it booked for December while on Serenade.

We have been to Maho many times by taxi so thought that it would be nice to see it from a different perspective. For those that are worried about going by taxi, it is really easy. The taxi stand at the port directs you to the proper taxi. The first time that we went with another couple, we had the driver come back to get us at a set time. He was back at the time we had agreed. Since then we have gone and just gotten a taxi when we were ready to go back. They are plentiful. I think that the people that miss the ships wait too long to start back. The bigger planes come in the early afternoon and some may wait to see them and not get back in time. You just need to leave in plenty of time. It is a great experience and I highly recommend it.

I had wanted to go to Maho for years but DH said that it was too dangerous. He finally decided to go that first time. Now that is the only thing that he wants to do in St. Martin. :D

• 3 months later...
Glad to see some information about this tour. We have it booked for December while on Serenade.

We have been to Maho many times by taxi so thought that it would be nice to see it from a different perspective. For those that are worried about going by taxi, it is really easy. The taxi stand at the port directs you to the proper taxi. The first time that we went with another couple, we had the driver come back to get us at a set time. He was back at the time we had agreed. Since then we have gone and just gotten a taxi when we were ready to go back. They are plentiful. I think that the people that miss the ships wait too long to start back. The bigger planes come in the early afternoon and some may wait to see them and not get back in time. You just need to leave in plenty of time. It is a great experience and I highly recommend it.

I had wanted to go to Maho for years but DH said that it was too dangerous. He finally decided to go that first time. Now that is the only thing that he wants to do in St. Martin. :D

Kathie -- we are thinking about booking this for our 1-10-2015 cruise. There are 5 ships in St. Maarten. Will be looking to hear about the excursion from you.

Kathie -- we are thinking about booking this for our 1-10-2015 cruise. There are 5 ships in St. Maarten. Will be looking to hear about the excursion from you.

Will do, Sherri. We may book it again if we like it in December.

I have this excursion booked for February. I booked it solely because of the traffic. I experienced being stuck in that traffic a few times going from Simpson Bay (between Maho and Phillipsburg - very close to Maho) to Phillipsburg. It can be NASTY. On one trip it took 45 minutes....the next was well over an hour. I would only cab it if there were few ships in port. When we go in Feb, I think there are 5 or 6 ships....one being the Allure, which we are on so there is NO way I'm wasting 2+ hours in stop and go traffic and stressing about time.

Edited by sarahleebones

Will do, Sherri. We may book it again if we like it in December.
Kathie -- I think I'm going to book -- if Chuck gets cold feet, I can always cancel and have the $$ go onto our onboard account. The boat is 5 decks high. I like that it leaves at 10 AM and gets back at 1:30 PM -- Chuck does not like long excursions. Can't wait to hear your feedback.