Does crew attitude change on the last day?

Runaways

The worst example of this we have encountered was not on Cunard, though it was a transatlantic voyage. It was with Royal Caribbean.

The eastbound cruise, having just finished its Caribbean winter, was operated by largely US officers and the mood aboard was what you would expect: the customer comes first and very good customer service.

While waiting to disembark in Southampton, England, it was clear from the PA announcements that the British brass had taken over quite early in the day. The tone of the announcements changed dramatically to the British style - do this; don't do that; passengers must; passengers must not, etc. The number and frequency of these announcements also increased drastically. It was like night and day. From what would you like to do, to this is what you must and must not do. I felt sorry for the passengers about to board.

On a slightly different tack, the general crew were not too happy about arriving in England, for the summer, either. Evidently, the Brits do not tip as much as North Americans.

The worst example of this we have encountered was not on Cunard, though it was a transatlantic voyage. It was with Royal Caribbean.

The eastbound cruise, having just finished its Caribbean winter, was operated by largely US officers and the mood aboard was what you would expect: the customer comes first and very good customer service.

While waiting to disembark in Southampton, England, it was clear from the PA announcements that the British brass had taken over quite early in the day. The tone of the announcements changed dramatically to the British style - do this; don't do that; passengers must; passengers must not, etc. The number and frequency of these announcements also increased drastically. It was like night and day. From what would you like to do, to this is what you must and must not do. I felt sorry for the passengers about to board.

On a slightly different tack, the general crew were not too happy about arriving in England, for the summer, either. Evidently, the Brits do not tip as much as North Americans.

That's told the Brits off then hasn't it!!???:eek:

Absolute piffle 😠

People from the UK do not tip like the North Americans who appear to tip everything that moves and then turn round and tip them again. We are used to paying a living wage and then tipping for service over and above what is expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Absolute piffle 😠

People from the UK do not tip like the North Americans who appear to tip everything that moves and then turn round and tip them again. We are used to paying a living wage and then tipping for service over and above what is expected.

Since you seem to be perpetuating the transition on this thread from staff attitude on the last day to approaching the question of tipping, it seems appropriate to point out that it is likely that people in the UK have developed their attitude about tipping from a discomfort about the concept of incentive pay: the person who does the better job gets more pay -- perhaps a after couple of generations living in a welfare state makes the idea seem strange. In the US, we tend to want to reward people differently - based upon how much they actually merit reward

Since you seem to be perpetuating the transition on this thread from staff attitude on the last day to approaching the question of tipping, it seems appropriate to point out that it is likely that people in the UK have developed their attitude about tipping from a discomfort about the concept of incentive pay: the person who does the better job gets more pay -- perhaps a after couple of generations living in a welfare state makes the idea seem strange. In the US, we tend to want to reward people differently - based upon how much they actually merit reward

You are talking rubbish - we do not live in a welfare state. We just believe in paying people a decent wage where they are not reliant on tips to live. Seems strange to us that you need to pay extra to someone for doing their job to the best of their ability, which is only what they should be doing in the first place.

Good grief!! What on earth do the:

Family Allowances Act 1945, National Insurance (Industrial Injuries) Act 1946, National Insurance Act 1946, National Health Service Act 1946, Pensions (Increase) Act 1947, Landlord and Tenant (Rent Control) Act 1949, National Insurance (Industrial Injuries) Act 1948, National Insurance Act 1949

To do with tipping, or the attitude of crew to guests on the last morning??!!

Oh dear, this has degenerated hasn't it?

Tipping - Gratuities are automatically added to everyone's bill, to be shared amongst the crew, including I believe, the customer facing staff. If passengers choose to reward individuals on top of this automatic gratuity, then that's up to them, but it should be earned, not expected.

If staff expect additional tips as a matter of course, and treat passengers differently because of it, then it is most definitely a training matter to be addressed and monitored by the ships managers, as it negatively affects the customer experience.

Changing attitude - There is absolutely no reason for the staff to treat customers as 'last week's news' - regardless of how busy they are. This is a training matter to be addressed and monitored by the ships managers, as it negatively affects the customer experience.

The customer experience is all Cunard has. It doesn't matter how new/big/fancy the ships are, if people don't enjoy the experience, they will go elsewhere. Last impressions linger, and cannot be undone.

I will be a first time cruiser in a few days time, and these points will certainly influence whether I become a returner.

Thanks for the tip of not sailing Royal Carribbean..If it be true,Staff attitudes like that stink..

I haven't experienced this personally, but have seen a couple of comments about crew members being friendly, helpful, doing their job well at embarkation and throughout the voyage but then 'turn', as it was described, at the end/debarcation day. I've noticed on our previous mainly Azamara, Celebrity and Cunard voyages that crew are incredibly busy at the end of a cruise and particularly on 'change-over' day. Thinking about it, except for Azamara, there has perhaps been a hint of "we're finished with you now,next please", but put it down to plain 'busyness'. What do you think?

We've done both Celebrity & Cunard. We often get pretty friendly with staff(being in hospitality ourselves)& ask them questions like what's posted here. Frequently a lot of staff are going home at the end of a cruise with new staff coming aboard. The staff still staying usually gets rotated. The MDR staff will still be in the MDR, but may often be rotated to a different section. Staff are sometimes moved about in the Grills as well. PG staff may move into the QG & vise versa. Staff going from Princess Grill to Queens Grill is not the advancement that pax might think. Both rest. are serviced from the same kitchen. The staff in the Grills is by far better trained than in the MDR. This is not saying the MDR staff is poorly trained, just less "seasoned".

We've done both Celebrity & Cunard. We often get pretty friendly with staff(being in hospitality ourselves)& ask them questions like what's posted here. Frequently a lot of staff are going home at the end of a cruise with new staff coming aboard. The staff still staying usually gets rotated. The MDR staff will still be in the MDR, but may often be rotated to a different section. Staff are sometimes moved about in the Grills as well. PG staff may move into the QG & vise versa. Staff going from Princess Grill to Queens Grill is not the advancement that pax might think. Both rest. are serviced from the same kitchen. The staff in the Grills is by far better trained than in the MDR. This is not saying the MDR staff is poorly trained, just less "seasoned".

Queens Grill staff we have met say they can be, and often are, rotated throughout the ship.

...Staff going from Princess Grill to Queens Grill is not the advancement that pax might think. Both rest. are serviced from the same kitchen. The staff in the Grills is by far better trained than in the MDR. This is not saying the MDR staff is poorly trained, just less "seasoned".

Actually the Grill restaurants on QM2 are served by a different galley which is located between the two restaurants and in back of the "D" elevators. But it's also true that waiters can be assigned anywhere help is needed - including KC and room service.

Queens Grill staff we have met say they can be, and often are, rotated throughout the ship.

We noticed that last year. We crossed e/b in PG and two weeks later we returned in Britannia. The assistant maître d' and one of our table waiters who looked after us so well in PG were working in Britannia on our w/b crossing. Although we were not seated in their section, they dropped by from time to time to say hello.

Actually the Grill restaurants on QM2 are served by a different galley which is located between the two restaurants and in back of the "D" elevators. But it's also true that waiters can be assigned anywhere help is needed - including KC and room service.

Sorry, that's what I meant..Galley. I've heard that staff can be assigned anywhere, but the Grills staff are generally the best trained & will usually(obviously not always)get the best jobs in the restaurants.

Sorry, that's what I meant..Galley. I've heard that staff can be assigned anywhere, but the Grills staff are generally the best trained & will usually(obviously not always)get the best jobs in the restaurants.

I don't know about the best trained. I would say the more receptive to the training given.

Many a cruise I ask where so and so is, to be told he/she is in x restaurant, so not only are staff rotated around the stations within a particular restaurant, they are rotated around the restaurants.

I don't know about the best trained. I would say the more receptive to the training given.

Many a cruise I ask where so and so is, to be told he/she is in x restaurant, so not only are staff rotated around the stations within a particular restaurant, they are rotated around the restaurants.

I kind of like the fact that when we went for dinner,we were addressed by our names by the Maitre D & the serving staff on the first day. I think they probably study both the names & pics of you from your ID card, that they have access to.

What I like is when, if you are lucky enough to go on another Cunard cruise, the staff waiting at the bottom of the greeting stairs knudge each other and a big smile when they recognise you, obviously not every time:)

And yes I have noticed, not my stewerd/ ess that some staff might seem a bit offhand, but as someone has pointed out they REALLY are busy I will try to rmember that in future.

What I like is when, if you are lucky enough to go on another Cunard cruise, the staff waiting at the bottom of the greeting stairs knudge each other and a big smile when they recognise you, obviously not every time:)

And yes I have noticed, not my stewerd/ ess that some staff might seem a bit offhand, but as someone has pointed out they REALLY are busy I will try to rmember that in future.

We had one of the head bartenders from a previous cruise buy us drinks when he saw us. Really very nice.

I haven't experienced this personally, but have seen a couple of comments about crew members being friendly, helpful, doing their job well at embarkation and throughout the voyage but then 'turn', as it was described, at the end/debarcation day. I've noticed on our previous mainly Azamara, Celebrity and Cunard voyages that crew are incredibly busy at the end of a cruise and particularly on 'change-over' day. Thinking about it, except for Azamara, there has perhaps been a hint of "we're finished with you now,next please", but put it down to plain 'busyness'. What do you think?

Never ever noticed that on any of the cruises I've been on.

If anything there is a bigger smile when they get the 'additional' gratuity envelope.