Venice - Airport to San Marco - Alilaguna

amindu

Hi All, to those who have done this before, am i right in concluding that both the blue and red line would get me to San Marco, with the red being about 15 minutes faster? Also is there plenty space for baggage? we will have 2 pieces total. Was it pretty straight forward to follow signs from the airport to the pier where the boats leave from, assuming all the transportation leaves from the same pier both alilaguna and Vapporeto. Thanks

http://www.alilaguna.it/

see what the weather is like when you arrive

if it's a nice day then may be worth the splurge on a water taxi if its your first time in Venice[you may be able to find another couple to share at the dock to cut costs

if its raining you may as well save money and take the longer Alilaguna route as at least you will be under cover

I agree! What we've done in the past is just wait by the water taxi desk in the airport and ask a few people if they're interested in sharing and we've always found somebody, which cuts the cost almost in half. We love standing at the back of the boat and sliding the roof forward so that we can stick our heads out. It's a fantastic way to arrive!

This will be my first time to Venice. When we get a water taxi to get to our hotel from the airport, (please don't laugh) do they take you the closest they can get to the hotel or do you have to get off on the Grand Canal? I see water all over the map but I don't know if the water taxis go there! Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Another question -- what are the other ways to get to the hotel? Should I contact the hotel and ask for the best way to get there? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, this will be my 23rd cruise and I usually know how to get around, but Venice is a complete mystery! Is there somewhere I should go to read about it?

This will be my first time to Venice. When we get a water taxi to get to our hotel from the airport, (please don't laugh) do they take you the closest they can get to the hotel or do you have to get off on the Grand Canal? I see water all over the map but I don't know if the water taxis go there! Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

It depends on the hotel, if the hotel has a dock they will stop there, if not they will get you to the closest place possible. As far as i know.

Just keep in mind that the Red Line only runs once per hour. It's a reasonable option if your timing is good. But in the worst case scenario (that you just miss the boat) it would actually take you about 2 hours just to get from the airport (when you add waiting time) to St Marks Square.

Hank

Just keep in mind that the Red Line only runs once per hour. It's a reasonable option if your timing is good. But in the worst case scenario (that you just miss the boat) it would actually take you about 2 hours just to get from the airport (when you add waiting time) to St Marks Square.

Hank

Gotcha, thanks. If not hopefully the blue will be there. We will try to find another couple to see if they want to split the water taxi as others have mentioned, hopefully we can find someone. $50 euros is better than paying full far, and more convenient.

if you tell us which hotel, we can give better advice. Generally speaking. the water taxis can navigate most of the smaller canals. Water taxis are like limousines . A great way to arrive. They hold 6 easily and sharing is normal. Pick up someone to share with at the desk.

if you tell us which hotel, we can give better advice. Generally speaking. the water taxis can navigate most of the smaller canals. Water taxis are like limousines . A great way to arrive. They hold 6 easily and sharing is normal. Pick up someone to share with at the desk.

So by sharing you mean the total fee? How much can one expect to pay if sharing with another couple or two?

So by sharing you mean the total fee? How much can one expect to pay if sharing with another couple or two?

The normal fee from the airport to most hotels is around €100. We shared one time and our hotel was a little off the beaten path and it was €120 total between the two couples.

We just stand by the water taxi desk in the arrivals hall and ask if anybody wants to share!

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Venice once. We used the Alilaguna water bus to get from the Marco Polo airport to San Marco. Boat dock is a short walk from the airport. From what I remember, the walkway was covered. You can buy tickets inside the airport or at the ticket booth by the dock. Cost is 13 euro. There was room for luggage and it was easy to load on the boat. Using the Alilaguana water bus was very easy and we didn't have any problems.

Regarding using a water taxi, it might be a problem to load and unload luggage from a smaller boat.

It would be a good idea to contact your hotel and ask them the easiest way to get to their establishment.

We have been to Venice once. We used the Alilaguna water bus to get from the Marco Polo airport to San Marco. Boat dock is a short walk from the airport. From what I remember, the walkway was covered. You can buy tickets inside the airport or at the ticket booth by the dock. Cost is 13 euro. There was room for luggage and it was easy to load on the boat. Using the Alilaguana water bus was very easy and we didn't have any problems.

Regarding using a water taxi, it might be a problem to load and unload luggage from a smaller boat.

It would be a good idea to contact your hotel and ask them the easiest way to get to their establishment.

The water taxi driver loads and unloads your luggage for you.

The water taxi driver loads and unloads your luggage for you.

And a water taxi can take you right to your own hotel's dock (assuming that they have a dock). Taking the Alilaguna to a stop like St Marks Square is fine, but you still need to get your luggage from the dock to the hotel. Even a short distance in Venice with luggage can be a challenge if there are one or more bridges.

This all plays into our normal routine which is to stay at Ca Doge when we cruise in or out of Venice. Being in the Piazale Roma means we can simply take the fast (and inexpensive) ATVO Express bus and then walk the short distance over to our hotel.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

http://www.sharevenice.com/en/transfer

This is a service that provides a shared water taxi from the airport to several stops in Venice including San Marco. Each taxi is shared by 10 people and costs 19euro each. You might have to wait a little while for all the people to show, but not long.

The cheapest way is the bus but the greatest way by far is water taxi. Truly an unforgettable experience.

If you are lucky you will be seated where you can stand up and enjoy the ride

Edited by flyingboy