ultimate ship tour

hollymar

The first time we heard about the tour was several days into a week-long cruise. We were # 9 or 10 on the list. No one else signed up and they didn't have the tour.

The next time, we signed up as soon as we got on board. They wound up have a total of 13 signups and all went on the tour.

Edited by AZJerry

Would this tour be appropriate for children? We are going on an Alaskan cruise that offers this tour--I think my 13 year old would love it!

It would all depend on the child. If you think your child would find it worthwhile and he's interested, I see no reason why not. If you do get to go on the bridge, he'd probably really enjoy that. But to prevent any unexpected glitch, you might want to ask at Passenger Services when you sign up, if there is any applicable restriction. No use getting your son's hopes up if it's a no-no! I know that I would have loved to have had such an opportunity if I'd been given such a chance at that age! :)

Tom

Would this tour be appropriate for children? We are going on an Alaskan cruise that offers this tour--I think my 13 year old would love it!

I am sure someone will give some actual experience with this.

I would think that because its in crew areas there may be some liability issues but just a guess.

I've tried twice to get on the ultimate ships tour. Both times I went to the purser and got my name on the list the minute we boarded. I expected it to be a first to sign up gets the tour spot but in both cases more then 12 people asked for the tour so the ship had a lottery and I wasn't drawn.

I'm wondering if it is really necessary to run straight to the pursers office when boarding? If you sign up after everybody else, your name will still be in the drawing.

I'm wondering if it is really necessary to run straight to the pursers office when boarding? If you sign up after everybody else, your name will still be in the drawing.

The two times I have taken the tour, it was strictly by first x names on the signup list. I do not know if others wanted it but could not make the cut.

Edited by caribill

The two times I have taken the tour, it was strictly by first x names on the signup list. I do not know if others wanted it but could not make the cut.

I'm thinking now that this might be one of those Princess policies that vary by ship. If that is true, then getting your name on the list ASAP is still a good idea.

i was on Royals inaugural season with another couple. We each were traveling in suites. I was quite anxious to do the ship tour and spoke to the concierge about signing up. I was told that because I was traveling in a suite I would have a greater chance of being selected if it went to lottery.

Sure enough, both myself and my friend and I got tickets. We recognized the majority of passengers also on this tour were also traveling in Suites.

Obviously, this could have been a coincidence. I have no idea if it went to lottery and it's not listed as a suite perk. I can only share my experience.

It was a great, long tour... I've seen people ask about wheelchairs and can say there were a lot steps. I have no idea what is accessible...I.e. Engine room etc. i believe you had to be over 18 but I can't swear to it, so it's something you would need to ask.

I know the chef took us on a personal tour of the galley and served cocktails and hors doeuvres. There was champagne on the bridge with the captain. We saw everything...laundry, food stores, medical, printing press. We often had to travel with security since we headed into restricted areas.

Having done it once, I never needed to do it again but I have to say it was a memorable experience. We were loaded with gifts, bathrobes, aprons, cookbooks, photos, albums, stationary and it sounds like some of this may not happen anymore which is a shame.

I do remember thinking it was well worth the money for the time.

i was on Royals inaugural season with another couple. We each were traveling in suites. I was quite anxious to do the ship tour and spoke to the concierge about signing up. I was told that because I was traveling in a suite I would have a greater chance of being selected if it went to lottery.

Sure enough, both myself and my friend and I got tickets. We recognized the majority of passengers also on this tour were also traveling in Suites.

This kinda makes me wonder...has anyone been able to take the UST who was NOT in a suite?

I have done it twice, and I have never been in a suite. I did it several years ago on the Ruby and earlier this year on the Royal. Both times I had extra shipboard credit to use up which covered the cost. Also both times on the bridge we were offered water or cans of Coke, etc. I keep reading about people who have champagne, but only non-alcoholic drinks were offered the times I did it.

Obviously, this could have been a coincidence. I have no idea if it went to lottery and it's not listed as a suite perk. I can only share my experience.

It was a great, long tour... I've seen people ask about wheelchairs and can say there were a lot steps. I have no idea what is accessible...I.e. Engine room etc. i believe you had to be over 18 but I can't swear to it, so it's something you would need to ask.

I know the chef took us on a personal tour of the galley and served cocktails and hors doeuvres. There was champagne on the bridge with the captain. We saw everything...laundry, food stores, medical, printing press. We often had to travel with security since we headed into restricted areas.

Having done it once, I never needed to do it again but I have to say it was a memorable experience. We were loaded with gifts, bathrobes, aprons, cookbooks, photos, albums, stationary and it sounds like some of this may not happen anymore which is a shame.

I do remember thinking it was well worth the money for the time.

On the Princess site there are two different locations with descriptions of it; one just says that you'll receive mementos from stops along the way; the other is very specific, and lists most of what you have written.:)

When I was on the Ruby in January 2014 for the "Getaways Special" (you got your fare back as a FCC), five, four, and five days, the UST failed to attract the necessary six people on the first two segments. It did on the third, and the six of us took the tour. As it happens, I was in a suite (because, after all, I was getting my fare back) but that had nothing to do with my participating, the issue was low demand on short segments.

I don't believe so as there are a number of places that we went on the tour I took where there was no wheelchair access. But I would check to make sure with the Passenger Services desk on Deck 6 just to make sure.

Tom

Pretty sure not. We went up a ladder close to the smokestacks, with someone making sure that we only did it one on the ladder at a time. I don't see how it would be possible.

We also received the standard souvenirs (stationary, photos, robe, picture frame, possibly others) most of which I did not keep. I still have the pictures and the robe, though I rarely look at/use either.

Edited by Wehwalt

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great tour for those able to walk the full length of the ship several times. Climbing up and down stairs several times. Several surprise back stage, medical center, executive Chef in galley, printing area, laundry, photo processing area anchor locker room, you can't get any further forward than that. Bridge with Captain. After tour Suite Bathrobe, photos, picture frame and apron note book? Personalized from printing shop. All this and more. If interested you need to see guest services as soon as you get on board. Our group was 14.

It was a definite highlight of our cruise, succeeded only by thi aurora. Our only problem was finding space to pack that huge, luxurious robe! We were on the Ruby in sept. And the commodore was clearly proud of his ship. We were even late getting to our other stops despite our guide trying to hustle us off the bridge while the commodore kept saying he wanted to show us just one more thing...and then one more thing. Worth every penny we spent!