Travel and Lesiure rankings

Casey12

Here are the Travel and Leisure River Cruise rankings ---- http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/cruise-lines#river

The rankings are difficult to do as most people haven't been on all the river cruise lines to rank them accordingly. What it does show is that is a good number of people who did enjoy their Viking River cruise. If you read these boards it seems people bash Viking when they have never even been on a Viking River cruise or they are critical of them because passengers are too lazy to print an email and think the line should drop everything and mail them papers before their normal schedule. I expect people from these boards to discount the survey all together but one can't discount that a large percentage of people who responded to this survey thought positively about Viking. They must be doing something right as they are larger than the other companies. And for those who argue that Viking shouldn't be listed up there -- are you going to argue that Tauck, AMAWaterways and Uniworld should not be listed either?

A survey from a self selecting group of people that read a particular magazine is no basis to judge anything apart from brand awareness and the quality of their advertising.

I don't really care who is rated where on this survey, it is very suspect & I suspect has a high correlation with advertising budgets, especially in the magazine.

A survey from a self selecting group of people that read a particular magazine is no basis to judge anything apart from brand awareness and the quality of their advertising.

I don't really care who is rated where on this survey, it is very suspect & I suspect has a high correlation with advertising budgets, especially in the magazine.

I agree, we have not cruised Tauck or Uniworld, but from reading reviews and talking with others that have done those, I would clearly place them ahead of Viking.

Just go back and see how Viking has handled the flooding in recent years.

We prefer Vantage, since they deliver a quality product for great prices.

The rankings are difficult to do as most people haven't been on all the river cruise lines to rank them accordingly. What it does show is that is a good number of people who did enjoy their Viking River cruise. If you read these boards it seems people bash Viking when they have never even been on a Viking River cruise or they are critical of them because passengers are too lazy to print an email and think the line should drop everything and mail them papers before their normal schedule. I expect people from these boards to discount the survey all together but one can't discount that a large percentage of people who responded to this survey thought positively about Viking. They must be doing something right as they are larger than the other companies. And for those who argue that Viking shouldn't be listed up there -- are you going to argue that Tauck, AMAWaterways and Uniworld should not be listed either?

Why so argumentative with your post? This is a public forum and we are all allowed to express our views.

>A survey from a self selecting group of people that read a particular magazine is no basis to judge anything apart from brand awareness and the quality of their advertising.

I don't really care who is rated where on this survey, it is very suspect & I suspect has a high correlation with advertising budgets, especially in the magazine.>

I agree.

I continue to be amazed at the constant tension on CC in regards to Viking. The shear law of numbers would suggest that Viking will have the largest number of supporters (hence) their rating on surveys and the largest numbers of people with negative experiences who are vocal on CC. When you look at the rankings for me it just says what a wonderful problem to have that there is so much choice. I'm a cheerleader for Uniworld because I had such a great experience. I looked at Viking closely when booking my first river cruise. But I decided I liked the unique decor, bikes, gym, more inclusiveness, etc... But I truly understand that many of those things don't appeal to others and Viking would be a better fit for many. I've only been on CC for a little over 2 years and do wish that each person would be allowed to voice their opinion without attack and all agree to disagree when we differ. It would be a much more pleasant experience. I guess I live in la la land thinking that will happen. Just look at the length of mostly negative threads vs mostly positive ones. Just a thought.

Let's see what has Viking done right???? Well for most Americans (maybe others) the only River Cruise company they have ever heard of is Viking..... Their fancy ads on PBS every Sunday during Master Piece Theater is part of what is driving this. I will point out that the gorgeous commercials and views from above, well the actual views are from water level....

The river cruising world is very small and what most people know is what they see in those commercials. Just sayin ;)

Edited by JVilleGal

Interesting to note that Disney came top in the Mega Ship Ocean Category.

I just feel that the survey has no value & I am sure that most cruisers on every river boat have a great time.

I am sure that I won't be influenced by the survey to sail on a mickey mouse operation.

On the positive side, we are blessed that there is a river cruise for everyone who wants to take one.

I take any magazine survey with a large dose of salt. Look at the results in the Conde Nast Traveler. The results are skewed by the demographics of the readership.

Viking receive a larger number of comments/posts here because of their size and there are probably more people on these boards who've travelled on a Viking ships then most of the other lines.

Also consumers who believe they've not been treated well tend to be more motivated to share or express a negative experience then a consumer who has had positive one or neutral experience.

I continue to be amazed at the constant tension on CC in regards to Viking. The shear law of numbers would suggest that Viking will have the largest number of supporters (hence) their rating on surveys and the largest numbers of people with negative experiences who are vocal on CC. When you look at the rankings for me it just says what a wonderful problem to have that there is so much choice. I'm a cheerleader for Uniworld because I had such a great experience. I looked at Viking closely when booking my first river cruise. But I decided I liked the unique decor, bikes, gym, more inclusiveness, etc... But I truly understand that many of those things don't appeal to others and Viking would be a better fit for many. I've only been on CC for a little over 2 years and do wish that each person would be allowed to voice their opinion without attack and all agree to disagree when we differ. It would be a much more pleasant experience. I guess I live in la la land thinking that will happen. Just look at the length of mostly negative threads vs mostly positive ones. Just a thought.

Excellent point!

Let's see what has Viking done right???? Well for most Americans (maybe others) the only River Cruise company they have ever heard of is Viking..... Their fancy ads on PBS every Sunday during Master Piece Theater is part of what is driving this. I will point out that the gorgeous commercials and views from above, well the actual views are from water level....

The river cruising world is very small and what most people know is what they see in those commercials. Just sayin ;)

The point of advertising is to put your product in the best light possible light. Just because other lines choose not to advertise should not be a reason to criticize Viking. I think all cruise lines have enjoyed an increase in business because of Viking's ads

I agree Viking's ads have brought river cruising to the "fantasies" of the American public. Much the same way Rick Steve's shared with PBS viewers how easy it is to travel in Europe.... Europe has much to be grateful for, Tourists and their wallets come by the many thousands each year because of them.

The point of advertising is to put your product in the best light possible light. Just because other lines choose not to advertise should not be a reason to criticize Viking. I think all cruise lines have enjoyed an increase in business because of Viking's ads

Just saying Hi and I agree in what you had said. Everyone doesn't have the same taste and what may appeal to one person may not be the others cup of tea. It is simply about having FUN and enjoying . Sure some cruise lines offer more than others but it is what one feels comfortable with. Myself Viking No but that is my opinion and for Lisa and I Scenic for sure YES. Like you you like Uniworld and Kathleen likes Avalon. Big World and Lots of ships so I agree trade ideas and info but that is what it should be about is for the enjoyment of all.

mmm I am not so sure of that

Good point, I'm sure they want the $$$ the tourist bring but could do without the tourists themselves! But don't tell me they would like to tourists dollars to go away... JMHO

I totally agree with that! I cannot even count how many pleas I get in a day from cruise lines begging me to vote for them as "the best" this or that. It gets quite annoying. They don't care if you really feel that way or have experience on their line, they just want to be able to crow that they've been voted "the best" at something.

I take all of these polls with a grain of salt.

Viking receive a larger number of comments/posts here because of their size and there are probably more people on these boards who've travelled on a Viking ships then most of the other lines.

Also consumers who believe they've not been treated well tend to be more motivated to share or express a negative experience then a consumer who has had positive one or neutral experience.

I have been in customer service in one way or another most of my adult working life. A statistic I learned early on, and has stayed with me is that if a person is happy with a product or service they will tell on average 3 other people. Unhappy with a product or service they will tell on average 11 people. I've seen evidence of that on these very boards. Most people, writing a glowing review of a cruise usually only start one thread. I have seen a recent example where someone unhappy with a company that shall remain nameless had three threads going at the same time, all expressing their dissatisfaction.

I have to agree with David. I went to the review and read how they come up with the ratings and it's based on a survey completed by Travel & Leisure readers! This means people who have never been on a river cruise can vote based on ads they see on tv ....and anyone who's watched Downton Abbey knows who Viking is... some of the lines that don't advertise that much, like Tauck, or use travel agents, like Vantage, will deliver a quality product and not get a single vote....so the survey is flawed from the beginning, plus there's no control so people can vote as often as they want. How do you think Kansas City got all those baseball players on the All Star Team!!! :D

Here are the Travel and Leisure River Cruise rankings ---- http://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/cruise-lines#river

I don't understand the argumentative tone of this post. I can say this, the magazine business is all but dead. They give the magazines away for free. I do believe that most folks who try Viking, enjoy the experience. But I also doubt very much that the many Viking pax subscribe to Travel and Leisure magazine, or for that matter Cruise Critic posters. If I want to learn about a cruise I turn to Cruise Critic and then I read the varying opinions. Same thing with hotel recommendations on TA or even here on CC.

I just returned from a cruise, and most folks knew absolutely zero about River Cruises in general. The ship I was on had only 150 pax and most folks loved that, so I mentioned River Cruises have only a small number of pax also. Then they started to ask me dozens of questions, like I am some expert. lol I tell them that Viking ships are the same width as all River Cruise ships because of the locks, but Viking makes the ships longer so they can squeeze more people on the ship. That is true. I didn't even start with the customer service aspect of how Viking handles mishaps. And it is absolutely amazing that the majority of folks never have heard of Cruise Critic :eek: What? lol How can they function?

I don't understand the argumentative tone of this post. I can say this, the magazine business is all but dead. They give the magazines away for free. I do believe that most folks who try Viking, enjoy the experience. But I also doubt very much that the many Viking pax subscribe to Travel and Leisure magazine, or for that matter Cruise Critic posters. If I want to learn about a cruise I turn to Cruise Critic and then I read the varying opinions. Same thing with hotel recommendations on TA or even here on CC.

I just returned from a cruise, and most folks knew absolutely zero about River Cruises in general. The ship I was on had only 150 pax and most folks loved that, so I mentioned River Cruises have only a small number of pax also. Then they started to ask me dozens of questions, like I am some expert. lol I tell them that Viking ships are the same width as all River Cruise ships because of the locks, but Viking makes the ships longer so they can squeeze more people on the ship. That is true. I didn't even start with the customer service aspect of how Viking handles mishaps. And it is absolutely amazing that the majority of folks never have heard of Cruise Critic :eek: What? lol How can they function?

The comment about Viking ships being longer is inaccurate. Several of the so called "upscale" lines go with the 135 m in their newer ships. Tthat Is the Viking max.

The comment about Viking ships being longer is inaccurate. Several of the so called "upscale" lines go with the 135 m in their newer ships. Tthat Is the Viking max.

I'm not going to disagree but are you saying that the other cruise lines hold the same number of pax as those on the Viking Longships?

This is so true! One day I saw a Viking commercial on TV. It looked like an amazing part of the world and a wonderful cruise. I didn't know one river cruise company from another. After chatting with our TA, who knows us well, she told us that she thought we'd love Uniworld. We did! Getting ready to go on another Uniworld cruise. I know there are a lot of people who love Viking, and that's cool, but Viking just isn't for us. :)

Edited by twinkletoes4445

I'm not going to disagree but are you saying that the other cruise lines hold the same number of pax as those on the Viking Longships?

Didn't say that . . .

Edited by CPT Trips