Final statement post-cruise ?

JPH814

We received our statement the morning our cruise ended. It was wrong. We contacted the front desk and they said a change would be made.

Today (5 days post-cruise) I saw on our credit card website that an amount has been charged to our car that was different from what was on morning statement, but still not correct.

My question is: Will I receive a revised statement from HAL (via mail or email) or will I have to pursuit the matter by phone to request a revised statement?

IMHO, it's always a good idea to make sure the charge on the folio is the amount charged on the card. Most cruise lines will happily send you a new folio which you can contest. once, HAL had to send in a rebate since new charge was erroneous.

We received our statement the morning our cruise ended. It was wrong. We contacted the front desk and they said a change would be made.

Today (5 days post-cruise) I saw on our credit card website that an amount has been charged to our car that was different from what was on morning statement, but still not correct.

My question is: Will I receive a revised statement from HAL (via mail or email) or will I have to pursuit the matter by phone to request a revised statement?

I wouldn't wait, as the charge indicates HAL's "final" answer.

First, I'd file a dispute with the CC people then I'd contact HAL for an explanation.

No need to dispute with the Credit Card people at this stage of the game.

Just contact HAL (using contact on their website, there is a spot to email and an area for post cruise, select that and provide the details) and they should actually be quite quick in their reply.

They should email you the new charges since you received your final statement on board and, if it is incorrect, they are quite good about correcting usually.

This link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Main.action

will allow you to send an email to HAL. If you look at the options for a subject in the pull down menu, one of the choices is to receive a copy of your on board bill for any past cruise. That would be a place to start, and the time i tried it was returned within a day or so.

Rich

There was a time when HAL used to give out preliminary statements the last full day of the cruise so that you could check over your charges.

Unless you ask for one the day before, the statement you get on disembarkation morning doesn't give you much time to check everything out.

We have had to call Seattle a couple of times to get our bill straightened out.

There was a time when HAL used to give out preliminary statements the last full day of the cruise so that you could check over your charges.

Unless you ask for one the day before, the statement you get on disembarkation morning doesn't give you much time to check everything out.

We have had to call Seattle a couple of times to get our bill straightened out.

Other lines allow you to access your statement to date on the cabin tv. Is this available from HAL?

Not as painless, but it's easy to stop by the front desk during a quiet time every week or so and get a printed copy. That way I can check it against my receipts and expected service charge. I always request a printed copy the day before disembarkation.

Not as painless, but it's easy to stop by the front desk during a quiet time every week or so and get a printed copy.

I disagree.

I think stopping by the Front Desk to ask for a copy is also totally painless. Fun, even, if you take a moment to exchange some pleasantries with the staff there. :)

While an up to date statement while on board would be helpful don't think it would resolve the problem

The majority of the complaints regarding subsequent charges are due to items from the mini bar

These charges are assessed after the bar has been inventoried which is usually upon disembarkation

One would need a complete statement prior to getting off the ship, if available, and probably not have the time to question any last minute charges

My problem was an adjustment that was supposed to be entered post cruise that was not. (It was a refund for two days of a thermal suite charge due to its closure).

. I first noticed the problem saturday morning on board and was told it would be fixed before i received the final bill Sunday morning. Still not fixed on sunday morning. I called sunday before leaving the ship and they said it would be fixed post cruise.

What was charged post cruise to my card did not have the adjustment.

I have since called and they said they had to contact the ship. Aggravation!

Edited by JPH814

Other lines allow you to access your statement to date on the cabin tv. Is this available from HAL?

My understanding (from someone in the know) is that integrative TV will be available aboard Koningsdam. Whether it will be installed on other ships during upcoming drydocks is not clear to me.

Edited by cp556

I think stopping by the Front Desk to ask for a copy is also totally painless. Fun, even, if you take a moment to exchange some pleasantries with the staff there. :)
It is indeed totally painless if you do it when you're passing by anyway and you can see that they're not busy.

And the investment of a couple of minutes of time in creating a relationship with them can pay dividends if you really encounter a problem later on in the cruise.

My understanding (from someone in the know) is that integrative TV will be available aboard Koningsdam. Whether it will be installed on other ships during upcoming drydocks is not clear to me.

But according to those in the know posting in past threads, this will not include account access. :(

So the plot thickens...

I just got a call saying there should not be an adjustment.

Here's the deal. We purchased a 7 day thermal suite package for $249 ( for my wife and me). Unfortunately, the suite was closed friday and saturday due to health reasons ( norovirus). We were told we would have 2 days refunded. 2/7ths of $249 is $71.14. Unfortunately, the adjustment on our bill was $36. I am looking for the other $35.14.

By the way, my son and daughter in lAw have the same issue so I am fighting a battle for both accounts.

The call I got today from HAL's billing office told me the only adjustment was the original $36. I said that was not acceptable and they put me through to guest relations.

After sitting on hold for 10 minutes I told my story. It sounds like they will process a $36 adjustment to my credit card (and my sons) "in 2 to 3 weeks). Hopefully it is a done deal.

Actually, a common occurrence. First, dispute the charge with your credit card issuer, then call HAL accounting and explain the problem.

HAL will usually promptly, issue a credit to your charge card.

Situation resolved.

It took two weeks, and several phone calls, but Holland America did refund the addition day's charge for the Thermal Suite. It was credited to my credit card today.

Situation resolved.

It took two weeks, and several phone calls, but Holland America did refund the addition day's charge for the Thermal Suite. It was credited to my credit card today.

OK, HAL is pretty good about addressing this kind of complaint, but two weeks for a $36.00 error is a bit much.

We have learned to stop by the front desk every other day of a cruise to get a copy of the bill. That way, one of us can usually remember every charge without reconciling the receipts. And HAL is to be congratulated on the accuracy of the bills, especially since they started using the room key card for tracking.

I don't make a special trip of it, just if I happen to be passing through the lobby and the desk isn't busy, I stop to get the statement.

The most common mistake we get is a wine tasting charge posted to our bill. Although invited, we never, ever attend these things. (DW won't drink alcohol, and I can't for medical reasons.) Hal has a habit of charging this to the bill and then removing the charge as a complimentary credit. Other than that, I don't think we've had a disputed charge since the new system was put in place.

One way or the other, we prefer to have everything resolved before disembarkation. Two week to straighten out a bill is too long.

OK, HAL is pretty good about addressing this kind of complaint, but two weeks for a $36.00 error is a bit much.

We have learned to stop by the front desk every other day of a cruise to get a copy of the bill. That way, one of us can usually remember every charge without reconciling the receipts. And HAL is to be congratulated on the accuracy of the bills, especially since they started using the room key card for tracking.

I don't make a special trip of it, just if I happen to be passing through the lobby and the desk isn't busy, I stop to get the statement.

The most common mistake we get is a wine tasting charge posted to our bill. Although invited, we never, ever attend these things. (DW won't drink alcohol, and I can't for medical reasons.) Hal has a habit of charging this to the bill and then removing the charge as a complimentary credit. Other than that, I don't think we've had a disputed charge since the new system was put in place.

One way or the other, we prefer to have everything resolved before disembarkation. Two week to straighten out a bill is too long.

I agree....we were told the morning of disembark it was resolved. Obviously it was not.

Actually, it often depends on which ship for the other lines. Most of the time only the newer ships have that capability on other lines.

Actually, a common occurrence. First, dispute the charge with your credit card issuer, then call HAL accounting and explain the problem.

HAL will usually promptly, issue a credit to your charge card.

Actually, calling HAL should be done before contacting CC since CC company will ask whether you contacted vendor. Cc prefers vendor to be contacted first since often a resolution is made from vendor.