Summit Bermuda - Liver

Fish Lover

Hi all,

My mom just asked me to post the following question. Last year we were on the last August cruise to Bermuda, aboard the Summit. On the last night (I think it was the last night) one of the MDR selections was liver and onions. My mother raved about it (I tasted hers and wish I had ordered it), I've perused all the posted menus, and they seem idemntical to last year but haven't seen this as a choice.

Has anyone who has gone recently recall whether this was ever a selection?

Thanks!

Hi all,

My mom just asked me to post the following question. Last year we were on the last August cruise to Bermuda, aboard the Summit. On the last night (I think it was the last night) one of the MDR selections was liver and onions. My mother raved about it (I tasted hers and wish I had ordered it), I've perused all the posted menus, and they seem idemntical to last year but haven't seen this as a choice.

Has anyone who has gone recently recall whether this was ever a selection?

Thanks!

Don't remember it in the MDR but I did have chicken livers as an appetizer...

Be thankful they didn't also offer tripe.:p

Seriously, Back in the sixties we often had lamb's fry with bacon, onions and gravy. It is quick, cheap and very tasty so long as the liver isn't overcooked. Hmm, I wonder if my local butcher has some lamb's fry....?

I had it for lunch in the mdr on my last 2 Celebrity cruises. The best I ever had also. Good enough to comment in my cruise assessment. Johanne.

Maybe it was a lunch selection! I have always hated liver and onions, however this was really delicious. It is definately worth anyone trying.

Thanks!

My concerns with liver are related to the beverage packages

Once you reach the Ludicrous Club Points Level, you get access to the Double Secret Super Premium Beverage Package, which includes a free liver transplant from a teenage Mormon immediately following your cruise.

Once you reach the Ludicrous Club Points Level, you get access to the Double Secret Super Premium Beverage Package, which includes a free liver transplant from a teenage Mormon immediately following your cruise.

Excellent! My current CC status only offers a 7-day stint at Betty Ford, so definitely something to aspire to. LOL!

Me too!!

yikes! Liver and onions on the menu would be the best excuse i could ever have for going to the specialty restaurant, that night! Just the smell of it cooking makes me nauseous! :eek:

Maybe it was a lunch selection! I have always hated liver and onions, however this was really delicious. It is definately worth anyone trying.

Thanks!

I think you might be onto something...I had a delicious liver entree on the Silhouette last June...at lunch! Was the only meal our entire cruise that I would've ordered seconds of!! I'll be looking for it on our upcoming Solstice to Alaska!

Excellent! My current CC status only offers a 7-day stint at Betty Ford, so definitely something to aspire to. LOL!

That's a pretty decent benefit, since Betty Ford is over $1,200.00 a day!

Of course, for $1,200.00 a day, we could enjoy a nice selection of vintage first growth Bordeaux...

My favorite meal is liver and onions, especially venison liver. Would rather have than steak, lobster, or any other tasty treat. Bring on the liver but not to often as not good for folks with high cholesterol.

This discussion reminds me a little of Princess, who a few years back added a nightly choice to their dinner menus that was more comfort food, or home cooking. One example was liver and onions, another I think was pot roast, can't remember the others right now. Well, reaction was loud and mixed --- some cruisers loved the chance to have some more casual dinner choices, especially on a long cruise, and some cruisers were appalled that something so "plain" would be offered for dinner. We saw quotes like "I can make that at home, I don't want it on a cruise" and others that were more, shall we say, expressive. My last few cruises have been on Celebrity so I don't know if Princess still does this, but I actually kind of liked having a choice on some nights. Wish I saw liver and onions on a Celebrity menu, my DH can't abide it so I have never cooked it in all our years of marriage.

yep, so-called "peasant food" is often looked at with a curl of the lip simply because of its cheap and cheerful origins but it can be delicious if prepared well.

My Damascus moment came at a New year dinner at a super posh restaurant in Chiang Mai Thailand when I spied a bread and butter pudding on the buffet table and thought "what the heck is that doing in a place like this"??

Curiosity prodded me to take a small serve which was quickly followed by another bigger one and since then I have made this for our own Christmas celebrations on several occasions.

My favorite meal is liver and onions, especially venison liver. Would rather have than steak, lobster, or any other tasty treat. Bring on the liver but not to often as not good for folks with high cholesterol.

We have a steady venison supply, but I never thought to save the liver. I plan to try this delicacy this coming fall! How do you prepare yours, if you don't mind sharing? Thank You.

I have never eaten venison liver so will leave suggestions as to sauces, gravies etc to others. However, the golden rule of cooking all types of liver is:

Do Not overcook It

Just roll it in flour and pan fry it at a fairly high temperature while stirring and keeping your eyes on it all the time. 5 minutes should be plenty of time but I usually cut a smaller piece open just to make sure it is cooked through. Better underdone than over though.

Vegies and other accompaniments need to be ready first so the liver can go straight from pan to plate - let it hang around too long and it is not so good.

I've just returned from an Eclipse voyage to Iceland & the Fjords and liver was on the menu at least twice - when I spotted it, it had replaced the NY Strip on the "always available" side of the menu. The chicken & salmon options were always there but, if I recall correctly, the NY Strip only made fleeting appearances during the 14 day voyage (though it was definitely there on the last night).