Has anyone ever received less of a GTY cabin?

grams98

Not to stir the pot, but when I recently booked my aft premium balcony, the Princess rep said "and of course you want an upgrade if possible, correct?" I asked for clarification if that upgrade would potentially be a window suite (on the Grand). Her reply was that yes, Princess does consider it an upgrade from a premium balcony to a window suite so there WOULD be that chance. Much as I'd love a suite, for Hawaii we really want a balcony.

Losing the balcony would be something to complain about.

If you are booked in a balcony cabin you will NOT be "upgraded" to a window mini suite or window suite on the ships that have them, no matter how many categories higher those cabins are considered. Has been reported as Princess policy by those in the know.

I think OP is worrying about something that will not happen. If by some miracle it were to happen OP could & should call Princess ASAP and get back to a Balcony.

Not to stir the pot, but when I recently booked my aft premium balcony, the Princess rep said "and of course you want an upgrade if possible, correct?" I asked for clarification if that upgrade would potentially be a window suite (on the Grand). Her reply was that yes, Princess does consider it an upgrade from a premium balcony to a window suite so there WOULD be that chance. Much as I'd love a suite, for Hawaii we really want a balcony.

If you called and asked 3 more times you would get 3 more different answers.

Princess reps are far removed from the yield/inventory dept. who handles these upgrades and once they make a booking its on to the next customer.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Ok, both at makes sense. But we could end up with a mini suite without a balcony, right!? I have studied the deck plan and it looks like the coral has 6 or 8 mini suites that have no balcony, but are larger with bathtubs. .??

The Coral does not have window suites. A I thought that all mini suites have balconies.

Has anyone ever booked any GTY and received less than what they bargained for?

There have been some cases when no cabins were available in the GTY category or above and Princess was unable to "bribe" someone to move to another sailing.

In those cases, you can get assigned to a lower category than the GTY, but it will come with generous OBC to hopefully make up for the disappointment.

I booked a GTY balcony cabin for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Ruby. I chose a BB category after looking at the deck plans. I figured that if we didn't get some type of upgrade offer the BB category balconies would be between state room only decks, mid-aft or mid-forward, and I would be happy with that. I also realized that if upgraded it could be any location on the ship that was considered an upgrade which could possibly be extremely aft or forward. The most important thing on this cruise for us was that we got at least a balcony because of the Alaska destination.

Today we got notice of a complimentary upgrade to BA category on the Aloha deck, which, although only one category up, is exactly mid-ship, and I'm very happy with it. Also, we are a little under three weeks from sailing and I was trying very hard to be patient and hope I wouldn't have to be checking a couple days before.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will get your cabin assignment soon.

The Coral does not have window suites. A I thought that all mini suites have balconies.

As previously mentioned on this thread Coral and Island have four non-balcony Mini-suites, Cat. MY, at the front of both the Baja and Caribe decks 10 and 11.

attachment.php?attachmentid=357438&d=1438196318

CoralMYcabin.jpg.d0d0369d863f3f2cb0a2eb7e8624ddbb.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

To OP:

As you can see there are a few different opinions/answers in this post.

I do stand by my comment that it is possible you will receive an upgrade to the window suite. However, it is very unlikely because Princess will try to do a balcony to balcony and so on assignment when doing guarantees. There are many more balconies than window suites available so odds are definitely in your favor. ;)

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

I booked a GTY balcony cabin for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Ruby. I chose a BB category after looking at the deck plans. I figured that if we didn't get some type of upgrade offer the BB category balconies would be between state room only decks, mid-aft or mid-forward, and I would be happy with that. I also realized that if upgraded it could be any location on the ship that was considered an upgrade which could possibly be extremely aft or forward. The most important thing on this cruise for us was that we got at least a balcony because of the Alaska destination.

Today we got notice of a complimentary upgrade to BA category on the Aloha deck, which, although only one category up, is exactly mid-ship, and I'm very happy with it. Also, we are a little under three weeks from sailing and I was trying very hard to be patient and hope I wouldn't have to be checking a couple days before.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will get your cabin assignment soon.

You are lucky since we have yet to get our balcony assignment on Star starting southbound Alaska cruise to Vancouver on 8/15. Princess and TA told us typically cabins are assigned 7 days before cruising date for QTY status regardless of the type or category of cabin. In our case we are doing a land excursion first starting 8/10 in Fairbanks so we likely won't know our cabin until we are doing the land tour. So long we get a balcony with an unobstructed view, we will be happy.

Princess and TA told us typically cabins are assigned 7 days before cruising date for QTY status regardless of the type or category of cabin.

Thats strange. I have never heard Princess put a window for time of assignment for a gty.

I can say our experience and reading others experience has been completely different. Its pretty crazy to lock it down to a 7 day window.

Thats strange. I have never heard Princess put a window for time of assignment for a gty. I can say our experience and reading others experience has been completely different. Its pretty crazy to lock it down to a 7 day window.

Let me clarify what Princess told me on 3 different occasions. The cabin assignment process for people on GTY status will typically start 7 days before sailing date and will continue till as late as the day of boarding. Have no idea why Princess pick "7 days" and not say "10 days" or "14 days".... They also said the initial cabin assignment is done randomly by the computer (didn't ask about upselling). Our TA however went further and said the longer we wait for our cabin assignment, the higher the chance of getting a free upgrade. Have no clue whether that's true or not since this is the first time we are on GTY.

Let me clarify what Princess told me on 3 different occasions. The cabin assignment process for people on GTY status will typically start 7 days before sailing date and will continue till as late as the day of boarding. Have no idea why Princess pick "7 days" and not say "10 days" or "14 days".... They also said the initial cabin assignment is done randomly by the computer (didn't ask about upselling). Our TA however went further and said the longer we wait for our cabin assignment, the higher the chance of getting a free upgrade. Have no clue whether that's true or not since this is the first time we are on GTY.

Well I guess we all know how much trust we put into information given out by Princess based on the myriad and range of answers one receives when you ask them a question.

I do know that the passenger list/cabin assignment are completed before the day of departure. Yes some screw ups happen when one arrives at the pier and discovers a mixup where a cabin # is not forwarded to the pier personal from shipboard personnel.

Yes assignments and upgrades will continue to be a mystery.

We had booked a guaranty cabin for a cruise this December and received a cabin assignment over two months ago. Only one other person on the Roll Call has had a cabin assignment with others still waiting. There is no consistency to how Princess handles guaranty bookings.

To OP:

As you can see there are a few different opinions/answers in this post.

I do stand by my comment that it is possible you will receive an upgrade to the window suite. However, it is very unlikely because Princess will try to do a balcony to balcony and so on assignment when doing guarantees. There are many more balconies than window suites available so odds are definitely in your favor. ;)

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Sorry, but you are 100% WRONG. and it is a window mini-suite not a suite.

It'll be interesting to see how Princess is going to assign cabins to those of us with GTY status when the whole ship is sold out for our cruise. Hopefully they have set aside certain number of cabins in each category for this purpose.

It'll be interesting to see how Princess is going to assign cabins to those of us with GTY status when the whole ship is sold out for our cruise. Hopefully they have set aside certain number of cabins in each category for this purpose.

Yes they have cabins set aside. Not like it their first rodeo. ;)

Let me clarify what Princess told me on 3 different occasions. The cabin assignment process for people on GTY status will typically start 7 days before sailing date and will continue till as late as the day of boarding. Have no idea why Princess pick "7 days" and not say "10 days" or "14 days".... They also said the initial cabin assignment is done randomly by the computer (didn't ask about upselling).

We have had a GTY change to an assigned cabin as soon as one hour after booking the cruise (months before the sail date) and as late as within the last week before the cruise as well as other times between those two extremes.

Sorry' date=' but you are 100% WRONG. and it is a window mini-suite not a suite.[/font']

Disregarding the rest of the 100% comment, I am aware it is a mini-suite and not a suite. I used the word "the" meaning the suite, being mini or otherwise that we were discussing. So sorry for the confusion. Hope the OP understood.

Edited by Seacreature101
spelling

Our TA however went further and said the longer we wait for our cabin assignment, the higher the chance of getting a free upgrade. /QUOTE]

from my personal experience, the later i get an assignment, the better it is.

i frequently book a guaranty cabin, may get assignment from 2 month to 2 days before the cruise.

once (on Carnival cruise), porter's list has one cabin#, when we were doing check in, we were given completely different cabin on a different deck. it took as a while to get our luggage

We had booked a guaranty cabin for a cruise this December and received a cabin assignment over two months ago. Only one other person on the Roll Call has had a cabin assignment with others still waiting. There is no consistency to how Princess handles guaranty bookings.

There is "no consistency" because we get what we paid for Or better in exchange for giving them the flexibility they need to move people around the ship to fill the ship to as close to 100% capacity as possible. Thus it always will come own to the last few days for cabin assignment for at least some of the Guarantees.

If anyone needs to know what cabin you will be in ahead of time and are going to obsess about not knowing, then "Guarantees" may not be for you.

Terry

Of course, still waiting for the cabin. And I will definitely let you know when I find out which cabin we received, this has been a new experience for sure. We always have chosen the cabin we wanted. I like figuring out ahead which elevator to use to go here or there. Where we will spend free mornings, afternoons in relation to location of our cabin, etc. you know silly but enjoyable stuff like that. But as I said earlier, we either had to choose GTY bz to get a balcony or pay $2000 for the 2 of us for a mini suite with a balcony. I don't regret the choice, just curious how I will all pan out.

However, I do know that sometimes they DO overbook and run out of cabins. I know this because that is what happened to us last January in Singapore. 3 days before our 10 night cruise we were offered a MOVEOVER. Our Indonesia cruise was overbooked and Princess wanted our inside cabin. We said ok, as we were getting plenty in return. So I really don't care to MOVEOVER again, but of course one can always say no. Thanks again, grams98

However, I do know that sometimes they DO overbook and run out of cabins. I know this because that is what happened to us last January in Singapore. 3 days before our 10 night cruise we were offered a MOVEOVER. Our Indonesia cruise was overbooked and Princess wanted our inside cabin. We said ok, as we were getting plenty in return. So I really don't care to MOVEOVER again, but of course one can always say no. Thanks again, grams98

Princess does this week in and week out. They know what they are doing and have been doing it for a long time. One will always be guaranteed a cabin regardless. There is always someone who will take the offer. Sounds like the waiting is taking a toll on you. :(