Has anyone ever received less of a GTY cabin?

grams98

A windowless suite? I didn't know there was such a thing.

I think the windowless suite is now called a windowless mini suite. But I didn't know that a windowless mini suite would NOT be given to sow one who booked a GTY balcony. So that is great news. Because I really would rather have the balcony than the bath tub.i would rather have the balcony than more space. But I was just convincing myself that if a windowless mini suite was the worst we could be given, then that would be ok. Because certainly we would enjoy the extra space and bath tub. So now I can truly expect for a balcony.

You have all been so helpful.. This is only our 7th or 8th cruise. I have lost count, but not that many. I was fearing a forward cabin assignment because of sea sickness, but I quit worrying about that because Dramamine works really well for me. Thank the Good Lord for that ��

Window only suites were added to some of the Grand Class ships during a dry dock. There are only 7 cabins on each ship? I think on deck 6?

Mini's with no windows are only on the Coral/Island. They are not the regular windowless suites. Just a mini with the original balcony space incorporated into the cabin which makes them a nice size. There are only a few them too. They are forward on Caribe/Baja?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Alright. I am jumping in here and sharing what I know and what Princess has re-confirmed for me. The system recognizes "upgrade", not balcony or not. When you book a guarantee cabin, you will receive that category or an upgrade to a higher category. Thus, it is possible you will receive a mini-suite with no balcony as the system recognizes it as an upgrade.

Moral? Just be happy wherever you are and that you are on the ship as you said. Think of the money you saved and heck, you still may end up with a balcony somewhere on the ship. You will have to come back and let us know.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Seacreature101

Ok, both at makes sense. But we could end up with a mini suite without a balcony, right!? I have studied the deck plan and it looks like the coral has 6 or 8 mini suites that have no balcony, but are larger with bathtubs. .??

If you book a balcony, you will get a balcony. You will not get one of the window mini's. Someone with an oceanview would be upgraded to one of those, not you.

It is so Interesting to hear opposing views on what might happen. I will try to remember to let you know what we end up with. You all know a real lot of info about princess. I just started reading the princess page here on CC. I have a lot to learn. I used to read CC faithfully but have not for a couple years now. I know there is a question currently. On old coffee cards--- I have 2 of them with punches still left that I am hoping to use in September But I digress, I just love reading what everybody has to say. Somebody has to be right, right? Thanks again, grams98

It is so Interesting to hear opposing views on what might happen. I will try to remember to let you know what we end up with. You all know a real lot of info about princess. I just started reading the princess page here on CC. I have a lot to learn. I used to read CC faithfully but have not for a couple years now. I know there is a question currently. On old coffee cards--- I have 2 of them with punches still left that I am hoping to use in September But I digress, I just love reading what everybody has to say. Somebody has to be right, right? Thanks again, grams98

I know right!!!!!

Window only suites were added to some of the Grand Class ships during a dry dock. There are only 7 cabins on each ship? I think on deck 6?

Mini's with no windows are only on the Coral/Island. They are not the regular windowless suites. Just a mini with the original balcony space incorporated into the cabin which makes them a nice size. There are only a few them too. They are forward on Caribe/Baja?

The forward mini's on the Coral/Island are not windowless. They have windows and are larger than standard mini's because what would be the balcony is now part of the cabin.

Interestingly, the photo for those cabins is actually a photo of a window suite.

Edited by IECalCruiser

We are doing our first GTY cabin. Always chose our own before. But the only balcony that was available was GTY BZ. Which is balcony obstructed view. We are on the Coral Princess full transit Panama Canal out of LA this September. We still have not received our cabin number, and I know that we might not know until we board September 23. But, are we assured we will at least receive a balcony? And not less than a balcony? Has anyone ever booked any GTY and received less than what they bargained for? Thanks so much, grams98

This cruise has been sold out for many months. You are most likely to get exactly what you booked. Of course there are always last minute cancellations but...

We board in SF on the 21st. :)

I will be happy with an obstructed balcony especially since the obstruction is just that below the rail is metal. At least that's what people have said. Great to know Thrak and Colocruiser are going with. It is 15 nights. Love those longer ones. And yes, I will report back as soon as I know what we have😊

We just today got a 6 category upgrade on an inside guaranty. We had had a specific cabin booked but prices dropped on the lower categories and we could not resist taking advantage of them. We ended up in an OV cabin in (the most important part) the best location on the ship.

We don't often book GTYs but haven't had a disappointment doing it in 8 years.

We booked about a year ago and had to book an MY guarantee(obstructed view mini). From what I've seen the MY cabin's are very far forward (I think there are 4 on the Coral). Not a problem for us., but...

I'd rather have a balcony cabin than a mini-no balcony cabin.

We just today got a 6 category upgrade on an inside guaranty. We had had a specific cabin booked but prices dropped on the lower categories and we could not resist taking advantage of them. We ended up in an OV cabin in (the most important part) the best location on the ship.

This is fantastic!

Earlier this year we were upgraded from an inside to a Caribe HC balcony room. We weren't booked as a gty and were totally blown away but very pleased. :)

But if you book a GTY on a ship that has balcony-less cabins in categories higher than the one you book, you recognize and accept the risk, just as the OP has done here. If you want to ensure yourself of a balcony, you book the lowest level balcony on a ship that does not have MZ cabins or Window Suites, or you book a Mini-Suite on a ship that does not have Window Suites. Simple as that.

I don't usually disagree with you, but I'm going to here. In my experience, those with oceanview cabins are upgraded into minisuites w/o windows. As in, it happened to me. Also, in all my years of reading these boards, I have never read a single post complaining of being assigned a window minisuite or window suite after booking a guaranty in any balcony category.

We booked about a year ago and had to book an MY guarantee(obstructed view mini). From what I've seen the MY cabin's are very far forward (I think there are 4 on the Coral). Not a problem for us., but...

I'd rather have a balcony cabin than a mini-no balcony cabin.

I hate to break it to you, but those MY categories are not obstructed view but are (unobstructed view) window minisuites. It sounds to me, given your final sentence, that you think they have balconies. They do not. You are therefore very likely to end up in a balcony-less minisuite.

Ok. Well thanks a million. You have all answered my questions so well. Truth is the bathtub of a window only mini would be much appreciated. I still would prefer a smaller cabin and a balcony, but as the cruise is just about sold out, we are lucky just to be on it. So I will quit worrying about it.

I have mixed feelings about having booked a GTY. For us, it was the only way to get a balcony. And no, we were not willing at that time to upgrade to a mini because it was a difference of 1000$ per person. So whatever we get, as long as I know now that they never downgrade, I will be happy. 😎🛄️Thanks again, grams98

Don't the minis all have bathtubs, with the exception of handicap cabins? I thought they did?

You will receive what you booked or higher. You will not receive an assignment at the pier. It will be made by a day or 2 before. You can verify the assignment by logging into your personalizer and looking at bag tags/travel summary/boarding pass if its within 5 days of the sailing. Those will have your cabin assignment on them.

This cruise has been sold out for almost 1 year.

Come join the roll call! :)

I will disagree with the part about getting assignment before sailing. While it likely to be true, I once had to wait till I got to the ship to find out my cabin assignment. You print blank luggage tags and they will look up your name on a list when you turn them into the porters and write your assignment on the tags.

I will disagree with the part about getting assignment before sailing. While it likely to be true, I once had to wait till I got to the ship to find out my cabin assignment. You print blank luggage tags and they will look up your name on a list when you turn them into the porters and write your assignment on the tags.

Well I will say it may have been a special issue with your non assignment.

The manifest has to be completed at least 24 hours prior to sailing.

The porters always have an up to date list, or at least they are supposed to.

That is true but the manifest may have been completed prior but the customer just not notified until they checked in at the port; it is not uncommon.

I have been told by a porter that they are not totally sure of the cabin assignments. :) That is why is takes a bit for some to get their luggage.

Can definitely.attest to the fact that the porters do not always have an up to date list. We once didn't have a cabin when we left home the day of a cruise. The porters didn't have us on their manifest. Inside the terminal didn't have us on their manifest. Someone from ship had to come down with yet another manifest and we were on that one.

That is true but the manifest may have been completed prior but the customer just not notified until they checked in at the port; it is not uncommon.

I have been told by a porter that they are not totally sure of the cabin assignments. :) That is why is takes a bit for some to get their luggage.

For sure. But the cabin assignment can be viewed in the personalizer up to and including sailing day. I would think those that receive it at the pier don't look at the personalizer to obtain it.

My cabin is always assigned, my luggage always takes a bit to arrive. Pretty much around sailing time regardless of when we board.

There's no need to print blank luggage tags. The porters will have blank ones available. We had to get our luggage tags at the pier one time because we had flown in to our departure port a few days early. We found out our cabin assignment while we were staying at our hotel but did not have access to a free printer to print out the luggage tags.

I am really hoping you are all correct. But aren't there some window only mini suites that are considered higher than a balcony? Grams98

We always book GTY's and most often get our cabin sometime in the week before we board the ship.

We usually book an Obstructed OV Guarantee and have been upgraded to one of the window suites you mentioned. BUT, our guarantee wasn't a balcony. I doubt that they would upgrade a balcony guarantee to a window suite but don't know for sure. A wonderful upgrade for us!

Terry

I doubt that they would upgrade a balcony guarantee to a window suite but don't know for sure.

That question has already been answered several times on this thread, and on the many older threads that have asked the same question:

If you are booked in a balcony cabin you will NOT be "upgraded" to a window mini suite or window suite on the ships that have them, no matter how many categories higher those cabins are considered. Has been reported as Princess policy by those in the know.