Carnival Magic cruise nightmare

becarpe1

I have just read the responses to our nightmare. I am sorry that we are not seasoned cruisers. My husband and I are very organised people. We would never be flippant about getting back on time or early. We honestly looked through all of the paperwork available to us in the cabin. I had gone out especially to buy watches for us both as I was told by my sister that you stayed on ship time. That's why we synchronized our watches with the waiter at breakfast. I also didn't ever see any signs or hear any announcements. Maybe we were just so excited about being on board. We did feel very lost about locating restaurants, activities e.t.c. However we did arrive back at the dock at 3.30pm. I obviously realize now that Cozumel must have been on a different time. I had also not read,heard or realized that we had to be back 30 minutes before sailing. As far as to me waiting 4 days to get my medicines, we were aboard the Paridise for 2 days. Then we had 2 flights and a drive to get back to our family in Spring,Tx. It was that night that I became ill. We had to have the local pharmacy call the medical exchange in Little Rock,Arkansas. Eventually the on call doctor called in the medicines I needed. I understand that we were lucky to be taken on board the Paridise. We just stayed in our cabin unless we had to eat. I guess that I was just so devastated and emotionally vulnerable that I felt like we deserved compensation. My husband is a Police officer and I'm in retail so this $2000 is a big issue and the extra expense affected our bill paying ability when we returned home. I don't know if we will be in a position to go on a future cruise. Thanks for pointing out how useless we were !!!!!

I guess that I was just so devastated and emotionally vulnerable that I felt like we deserved compensation.

That is not a valid reason to be offered compensation. If you missed the ship but were not particularly upset about it, does that mean compensation would not be warranted?

Carnival is not at fault. They provided you the information regarding when you needed to be back on board. By your own admission it is possible you were just so excited you missed it. Could very well be the case, but how is that the cruise line's fault?

I have just read the responses to our nightmare. I am sorry that we are not seasoned cruisers. My husband and I are very organised people. We would never be flippant about getting back on time or early. We honestly looked through all of the paperwork available to us in the cabin. I had gone out especially to buy watches for us both as I was told by my sister that you stayed on ship time. That's why we synchronized our watches with the waiter at breakfast. I also didn't ever see any signs or hear any announcements. Maybe we were just so excited about being on board. We did feel very lost about locating restaurants, activities e.t.c. However we did arrive back at the dock at 3.30pm. I obviously realize now that Cozumel must have been on a different time. I had also not read,heard or realized that we had to be back 30 minutes before sailing. As far as to me waiting 4 days to get my medicines, we were aboard the Paridise for 2 days. Then we had 2 flights and a drive to get back to our family in Spring,Tx. It was that night that I became ill. We had to have the local pharmacy call the medical exchange in Little Rock,Arkansas. Eventually the on call doctor called in the medicines I needed. I understand that we were lucky to be taken on board the Paridise. We just stayed in our cabin unless we had to eat. I guess that I was just so devastated and emotionally vulnerable that I felt like we deserved compensation. My husband is a Police officer and I'm in retail so this $2000 is a big issue and the extra expense affected our bill paying ability when we returned home. I don't know if we will be in a position to go on a future cruise.

Thanks for pointing out how useless we were !!!!!

Please. You still don't even understand "paragraphing"!?

I have just read the responses to our nightmare. I am sorry that we are not seasoned cruisers. My husband and I are very organised people. We would never be flippant about getting back on time or early. We honestly looked through all of the paperwork available to us in the cabin. I had gone out especially to buy watches for us both as I was told by my sister that you stayed on ship time. That's why we synchronized our watches with the waiter at breakfast. I also didn't ever see any signs or hear any announcements. Maybe we were just so excited about being on board. We did feel very lost about locating restaurants, activities e.t.c. However we did arrive back at the dock at 3.30pm. I obviously realize now that Cozumel must have been on a different time. I had also not read,heard or realized that we had to be back 30 minutes before sailing. As far as to me waiting 4 days to get my medicines, we were aboard the Paridise for 2 days. Then we had 2 flights and a drive to get back to our family in Spring,Tx. It was that night that I became ill. We had to have the local pharmacy call the medical exchange in Little Rock,Arkansas. Eventually the on call doctor called in the medicines I needed. I understand that we were lucky to be taken on board the Paridise. We just stayed in our cabin unless we had to eat. I guess that I was just so devastated and emotionally vulnerable that I felt like we deserved compensation. My husband is a Police officer and I'm in retail so this $2000 is a big issue and the extra expense affected our bill paying ability when we returned home. I don't know if we will be in a position to go on a future cruise. Thanks for pointing out how useless we were !!!!!

You are not useless...you just made a mistake, although a rather expensive one. And I am sorry you feel like some of the posters were unsympathetic, but the fact is your original post read more about what should Carnival do to make up the fact that you missed the ship.

Most of us are surprised you were offered anything - the fact that Carnival allowed you to board another ship at no additional cost and offered you a 20% future cruise discount is quite unusual in this industry. Usually you have to be on a ship sponsored excursion to get any compensation at all.

I was waiting tables when I first started cruising with my wife and kids - I do understand what it is like to save up for several years to take a one week cruise; I would have been devastated as well and probably in a worse position than you were in at the time.

Having said that, most of the responses demonstrated sympathy at what happened to you, but also tried to point out that ultimately the responsibility for returning on time does lie with the passengers.

I do hope you will give cruising another try and that your next experience is a better one.

Keith

"We were told that we had to pay $29.99 each for a visa stamp. This had to be cash."

I'm curious what this would be for since they left the country on a Carnival ship ? It's not like they were staying in the country and didn't have a visa. Have never heard of it, but good to know.

I'm sorry to hear your dream vacation turned into a nightmare, that's really horrible.

It's really important to have detailed list in a file folio that includes the ships call times in port. Furthermore, I would always suggest speaking with the concierge or an officer or looking in the Daily Program on board to be absolutely sure when the ship leaves. The waiter is not always your best source of information unless it regards the soup of the day.

I always plan on returning to the ship at least three hours before sailing, to have a cushion and to eliminate the stress of hoping we'll be back on time.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

People here at CC often comment how they like to watch the pier runners. Some people find that funny, I Do Not. Missing the ship is No Joke!

The pier runners mostly referred to are running because they are drunk. That is a big difference than someone who read the time wrong. No, missing the ship is not funny but the fact that someone sat in a bar and got s***faced drunk to the point of missing the ship, well, sorry but I have no sympathy. Guess what? I have been in those bars myself and I was responsible enough to make it back in time even when we were using tenders. I also enjoy the drunk run.

"We were told that we had to pay $29.99 each for a visa stamp. This had to be cash."

I'm curious what this would be for since they left the country on a Carnival ship ? It's not like they were staying in the country and didn't have a visa. Have never heard of it, but good to know.

That would be because the came on one ship, and left on another. Therefore, they technically cleared into the country, rather than getting a temporary cruise line clearance.

I have tried the Better business bureau, Maritime lawyers in Florida and asking the insurance company that came with the cruise. I feel that this was no.way our fault and deserve compensation. The final offer from Carnival was a 20 per cent did count on our future cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions for us.

I'm sorry your cruise didn't live up to your expectations. However, as the others have said, you've already received more compensation than you are due.

I understand the excitement of your first cruise. We've been cruising for over 30 years and not once have there not been multiple oral and written notifications of when passengers need to be 'all aboard'. The standard Cruise Director announcement when docked is along the lines of: "Welcome to (port of the day)! The ship has been cleared by the local authorities and everyone may go ashore. The gangway is located on deck (X), and can be reached by using the (forward/mid-ship) elevators or stairs. All aboard is at (insert time here) and we sail PROMPTLY at (half an hour later) for (name of next port)."

The all aboard time is always clearly noted in the daily program. That would have been delivered to your cabin the night before - giving you plenty of time to read it. When scanning off the ship at security there is also a sign noting the all aboard time.

Think about it this way - The Carnival Magic carries around 3690 passengers. Apparently 3686 knew when to be back to the ship. I'm sorry, but I really don't think the fault lies with Carnival.

Please. You still don't even understand "paragraphing"!?

That's a peeve of mine as well. I wasn't about to wallow through the OP but got the jest through the responses by those who had plowed through it.

Something as critical as departure time should be taken very seriously and some people don't recognize the seriousness of the matter. I always make sure I know the correct time (ship time) and return at least 1 hour early.

The long winded and to me indecipherable OP apparently is just a no substance ramble.

That's a peeve of mine as well. I wasn't about to wallow through the OP but got the jest through the responses by those who had plowed through it.

The long winded and to me indecipherable OP apparently is just a no substance ramble.

But.... If nobody ever posted something that would allow the rest of us to be 'critical' - then the CC Forums would be a bust. :)

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/paises_visa/en.html

Sounds like creative tip encouragement.

Depending on whether or not they had their driver's licenses with them, or just their ship cards, would determine whether they could prove US residency as required by your link.

Excellent point. Bringing the passport would seem the smart choice in case you need to fly home, but since they took another ship, maybe proof of residency was unavailable.

I hadn't thought of that but it sounds very logical. Mexico waves the need for a visa for those only traveling a certain distance into Mexico and for those visiting (port stops) via cruise ships. Since the OP was officially debarking one ship and embarking a different ship, they obviously had "officially" entered Mexico. $29 is actually pretty cheap. Argentina is going to cost us something like $260 and we are not officially exiting the ship, only passing through. Many countries are equally onerous in their fees (Russia and Brazil come to mind). I wonder if they had a passport (guessing yes due to a visa being issued but not sure). Many passengers choose to do closed loop cruises without one. Had they been forced to fly home it could have been even more of an interesting story.

Edit: from a prior post it appears my understanding of Mexican Visa requirements is outdated. Thanks to the poster that posed the Mexican link for visas.

Edited by CptSticky

I hadn't thought of that but it sounds very logical. Mexico waves the need for a visa for those only traveling a certain distance into Mexico and for those visiting (port stops) via cruise ships. Since the OP was officially debarking one ship and embarking a different ship, they obviously had "officially" entered Mexico. $29 is actually pretty cheap. Argentina is going to cost us something like $260 and we are not officially exiting the ship, only passing through. Many countries are equally onerous in their fees (Russia and Brazil come to mind). I wonder if they had a passport (guessing yes due to a visa being issued but not sure). Many passengers choose to do closed loop cruises without one. Had they been forced to fly home it could have been even more of an interesting story.

Now my curiosity and hunger for savvy cruising knowledge are piqued. I went back and read the original post (paragraphs notwithstanding) and the OP is "from England", although living in Arkansas. Maybe she didn't have her UK passport which was WHY a flight home was unavailable. Cozumel's airport is pretty well connected to the US.

Does everyone else always bring passports on shore? Even if I embark with my Passport Card only (very handy), I bring the full passport on shore. We even have a waterproof bag for snorkeling. :)

One cruise (Princess?) the all aboard time was posted at the gangway in Military Time - 16:00. Can see this being confused with 6pm for those who don't know the 24hr clock.

One cruise (Princess?) the all aboard time was posted at the gangway in Military Time - 16:00. Can see this being confused with 6pm for those who don't know the 24hr clock.

Op stated a staff member synchronized watches. Way too many holes in this story.

Does everyone else always bring passports on shore? Even if I embark with my Passport Card only (very handy), I bring the full passport on shore. We even have a waterproof bag for snorkeling. :)

Always - but only in non-US or English ports.. ie USVI, BVI, PR. For those ports (being CDN) I normally only have to prove citizenship. I do, however, carry a copy of all my docs wherever I go.

Whenever I carry my passport - it's always concealed in a location where a pic-pocket would never go! :)

Plus.. I carry enough cash to make a robber not need to look elsewhere for 'valuables'.:D

We never do. Those passports are much too valuable a document to bring ashore if they aren't required by local law. They are much better protected if left in the stateroom safe. In almost all ports you are not required to carry it on your person. If it's in the safe, you can always make arrangements to retrieve it if necessary for emergencies. If it gets stolen or lost, it is no longer available. More people lose control their passports while on shore than people who miss the ship. In St. Petersburg, Russia a few years ago, where we were required to have them with us while on shore, five people on one excursion had their passports stolen, along with other valuable documents such as driver's licenses and credit cards.

When a person is going to miss the ship, security will open the safe and if there is a passport inside will turn it over to the port representative. This is a fact, not fiction or wishful thinking. I have sat through presentations by ship's officers where they verified that they do indeed check. I have also witnessed the transfer of such passports while sitting on my balcony almost directly above the gangway. This has also been verified by at least one, and possible two, cruise line employees who would know. There have been too many threads over the years that have verified this practice to make it fiction.

Do you carry your passport all the time with you at home? Not sure why you think it is wiser to do so when it isn't required in a foreign country. Leave it in the safe where you can always get to it. And bring a copy on shore instead. In many cases, the copy will be enough if an emergency occurs until you can have your passport retrieved from your safe if necessary.

Edited by SantaFeFan

We never do. Those passports are much too valuable a document to bring ashore if they aren't required by local law. They are much better protected if left in the stateroom safe. In almost all ports you are not required to carry it on your person. If it's in the safe, you can always make arrangements to retrieve it if necessary for emergencies. If it gets stolen or lost, it is no longer available. More people lose control their passports while on shore than people who miss the ship. In St. Petersburg, Russia a few years ago, where we were required to have them with us while on shore, five people on one excursion had their passports stolen, along with other valuable documents such as driver's licenses and credit cards.

When a person is going to miss the ship, security will open the safe and if there is a passport inside will turn it over to the port representative. This is a fact, not fiction or wishful thinking. I have sat through presentations by ship's officers where they verified that they do indeed check. I have also witnessed the transfer of such passports while sitting on my balcony almost directly above the gangway. This has also been verified by at least one, and possible two, cruise line employees who would know. There have been too many threads over the years that have verified this practice to make it fiction.

Do you carry your passport all the time with you at home? Not sure why you think it is wiser to do so when it isn't required in a foreign country. Leave it in the safe where you can always get to it. And bring a copy on shore instead. In many cases, the copy will be enough if an emergency occurs until you can have your passport retrieved from your safe if necessary.

I totally agree! Far better chance I lose my passport while on the beach.

The cruise lines definitely leave your passports with the Port Agent. I have a family member that had to do the walk of shame in St Maarten. : eek:

Passports were already at the pier.

The ship waited 15 minutes. He was very fortunate.